Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Anne Bonny

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense. A million thanks to Juliana Williamson-Page for inspiration!

In bottle/imp: Dry, strong dirt with a hint of spiciness.

Immediately on skin: Why oh why did I even try this one? I HATE strong patchouli scents! The patchouli is super strong and very dry. There’s a very heavy almost wood feel to this blend, and a light warm spiciness from the sandalwood. In the background lingers a light resinous note… but mostly this is dry, woody dirt.

After a few minutes: This has settled quite a bit, but it is still a very heavy, dry patchouli scent. The sandalwood and frankincense both blend in nicely and add a warm, spiced, smoky feel to this. It’s not too complex, but it is nicely blended.

Overall Impressions: I’m not a fan of patchouli at all, but I can see how some people would like this. It’s very strong and dry with a very slight sweetness to it. The red sandalwood and frankincense add a nice depth to the blend. Edited by Delirium1009

In the imp: Patchouli and incense.

Wet: I'm thinking I detect mostly sandlewood -- it has a much lighter air to it than I thought it would. This scent never gets heavy or thick, like I'd thought that it would. The other notes are there on the edges and the overall fragrance is very nice.

Dry: As it dries, I would swear that it gets a bit of a gritty, smokey tone to it, like gunpowder. It's not bad by any means, though...it rather intrigues me. The scent is never overpowering, but it's pretty tenacious; I could smell it faintly on myself all day.

Verdict: I don't really need a bottle of it, but I'm also quite reluctant to get rid of my imp...so I'll hang onto it for a bit. This is another popular scent that I can admire, but not necessarily claim for my own. I'm intensely thankful that the patchouli behaved itself, as I figured if any blend was going to go all militant, obnoxious patchouli on me, this would be it. :P

Wet: Red Musk! Red Patchouli! Take No Prisoners!!! Aaarrrrggghhhh!

Drydown: The frankincense comes through now, but the reds are still very much in evidence.

Dry: These notes blend very well, none overpowering the others, with one or another rising temporarily to the surface every now and then. Simple, straightforward, and very, very interesting.

I love the listed components of this scent (which is why I wanted to try it) and I certainly do like the result. Very feisty. Very sexy. Very "Sit up and take notice." while not being what I would think of as a "loud" scent (at least, not after the first few minutes ...)

:P

Anne Bonny on my skin smells like the cage of a ballsy old male guinea pig kept on cedar bedding.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! That was the only thing I could think of to write down as I tested this one--hamster wood chips. So disappointing as I wanted to love it!

I have been acquiring imps like crazy lately, but sticking with my favorites. I decided to try Anne Bonny this morning and WOW!!! :D This is wonderful.

I keep seeing myself at the dock at my family's lakehouse during the summer. My cousins and I would crawl out of the water and dry off with our towels. We would still be chilly so we would lay our towels out on the catwalk to lay in the sun. The water from our sopping wet towels soaked into the wood. The sun would heat up the damp wood and you could smell it all around you. The warm breeze would blow over you and it smelled so heavenly. This is probably the first BPAL scent that evoked such great memories. ;) :P :) :D B) I could add so many more smilies to express how I feel about this.

Light golden yellow oil. Dry, woody, and a little dirty (as, in a rooty-soil note). Lots of sandalwood and patchouli, not as much frankincense, though there is a resinous quality to this blend.

Very much the dirt and roots sort of patchouli, with that sandalwood and what I SWEAR must be cedar - very very dry, warm, wood. I would cut a leg off if there isn't cedar in this. A tad sweeter on my skin, perhaps from the frankincense, which is a touch smoky but still very light.

CEDAR! Cedar is beating me to death. From miles away over the Black Lace that's much closer to my nose. The good news is that is has overpowered the musty-filthy patchouli, the bad news is that I hate strong cedar notes. A bit spicy almost now, more smokiness and less sweetness from the slightly-amped frankincense.

Edited by fairnymph

This is the hold of a ship, with the scent of the seas and stolen cargos of precious incense, bound for the Vatican. This is a keeper and another to add to my favorites list.

Very spicy and yummy!

(will continue review after re-testing)

Edited by anardana

Anne Bonny was the first imp I ordered EVER, and the first 5ml I ordered. It's my husband's favorite BPAL scent (and he's been very patient with the endless enforced "sniff me!").

Anne Bonny is dirty and fierce and feminine and strong and I love her :P This scent is made entirely of WIN!

Initial impression:

Mm, dark and smoky and hot. I like it!

First on:

The rawness that can only come from patchouli – it's nice though! I'm a big fan of patchouli.

Dry:

Once dry, it's very woody on me – nothing like incense or such at all. It's like sniffing warm wood!

Finally:

Hmm, I liked it better in its wet state, if I'm honest. Bit too woody for me.

This is so beautifully incensey. Loooove it. It's smokey, dark, sexy and earthy. Not necessarily what I would associate with a pirate, but definitely a great blend. It definitely picks up some spice as it sits on the skin, which makes it even more beautiful.

Mmm! This is like dirt and red velvet that has been splashed with sea water and rum, and rubbed with incense. I love it. It's very womanly, yet full of smoke and bravado. Wearing this makes me feel strong, and independent and a little like a saucy pirate wench. I love it!

This was one of the scents I fell for just reading the description. So it had to be the first I tried... here goes my BPAL virginity!

In the imp: It smells like standing on the deck of a wooden ship with a gentle wind blowing past. I never knew perfume could smell like this...

Wet on the wrist: Lots of wood here.... pleasant wood absolutley.

A bit later: There is that wiff of fresh air again... I don't know what note it is? Patcholi maybe?

Dry: More incence now but still woody. It is a rather strong scent and I am happy I only put on a little. It smells real nice though.

Stayingpower: I went swimming and I could smell the scent the whole time in the pool, even after showering I could detect it.

Extra: A funny thing is that almost all the incense went away in the water but the woodyness stayed. I reapplied after showering and this time it seems to stay more woody. Maybe it has something to do with the chlorine resdue on my skin, or the fact that I used a diffrent shower gel... Something changed that is for sure, to the better in my opinion.

Edited by Cyphersushi

Wet this is all sandlewood with patchouli (yay!) under it, which makes me quite happy. Unfortunately, as it dries I really don't like the throw- kinda weird and perfumed. I think it's the frankincense which doesn't play well with me. Up to my nose it's nice and resiny though, but not spectacular. Fades to faint resins. Eh. Off to swaps...

Starts very red, goes very, very woody. It's all dry wood on me. It's nice, but I prefer Dee for my wood scent - Dee has a touch of tonka to balance out all the dry wood, and Anne Bonny doesn't want anything sweet anywhere near here - she's all brass and rowdy toughness. This blend would be good for tough, angry days.

in bottle: Mmmm this smells just like my favourite capricorn incense sticks when i was in high school.

on skin: this takes on much more of the earthy patchouli and sandalwood which blends together to make the ultimate earthy spicy scent. i think that despite the name this is a very gender nuetral scent and anyone who loves those really gorgeous oriental earthy scents you get from top notch incense will love this. For me this is a big bottle scent!

A resin, a wood, and patchouli. This will probably adore my skin.

A very spicy bold scent. The wood and the frankincense are keeping the patchouli from dominating, and smoothing it out somewhat. It isn't as rough as some patchouli blends I have tested recently. Earthy, spicy, and bold, without knocking me down. That sounds about right. =)

In Vial: Strong wood and patchouli

Wet: So strong like stained wood and the earthy dark scent of patchouli.

Anne Bonny is the perfume that took my BPAL viginity. It is extremely sexy, smoldering temptress on me. Confidence inspiring, libido lifting, feminine wiles enhancer. The red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense are perfect together. I cannot say how much I love this fragrance.

Anne Bonny, you are indeed a wicked and cruel woman .. to my body chemistry. :D

I'm not sure if patchouli is for me, or if it's something I'll acquire over time (or finding the right blend). This was too heavy and spicy when applied to my skin. During the drydown it was like a patchouli/sandalwood cloud kept following me around all day. Methinks I need to stay away from 100% spicy/woody/incensey blends that don't have a least one citrus or floral note.

ETA: I think I've actually acclimated to the spicy/woody notes of this blend. :P Kind of like it now that I've given it another try.

Edited by skepticism

I was initially attracted to Anne Bonny after looking up her story on Wikipedia--I just had to try it!

Unfortunately, in the imp, wet, and dry this is pure, unadulterated sandalwood to my nose. I'd love to give a more detailed review, but I have nothing to add to that. I know there must be a lovely patchouli in there somewhere, so I'm going to let it age for a few months before I decide if it's worth keeping.

I really thought I was going to like this! I normally really enjoy patchouli and sandalwood. In the bottle it was pretty much all patchouli, but the moment it hit my skin, it was all play-doh. I'm blaming the frankincense. I am beginning to think I can't wear that note. I had the same trouble with Faustus and Arcana.

Very strong patchouli. I'm still very much on the fence about whether or not I like patchouli, and this blend is a little over the top for me. If I wear this one, I'll have to dab it lightly. But aside from it being a little too strong, it's a nice scent.

This one is aged Anne Bonny - and let me tell you, this is strong, dirty, woodsy patchouli. It's got that 'clean' edge but it's still got that gritty, woodsy element to it.

But yeah, this is very patchouli.