Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Anne Bonny

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense.

in the bottle: frankincense and patchouli.

wet on skin: this is like Cathedral's wicked little sister sister. And I adore Cathedral!

dry: sandalwood pulls everything together into a glorious heap of happiness. This is a keeper. Edited by Shollin

Yay! I had been meaning to try this. And now I have some.

Bottled: Wow. Patchouli.

Wet on arm: Oh geez. This is hippy hippy hippy. I don't know if I could pull this off. The patchouli is making me self consious.

As it starts to dry it goes through a sour phase, becoming sharply woody. Perhaps this is the Red Sandalwood. The sharp phase has an almost sour quality, like cumin. It softens quickly though into a gentle sandalwood blend, soft and oriental. Not so soft that you lose the quality of aged wood.

Drydown: Rich dry woods, and churchy resin. This is all wooden, like opening one of those hand carved boxes full of Frankincense resin, or like Sandalwood hand fans.

I don't know if this is a bad girl scent, but it's definitely an interesting one. Half hard and acrid, and half soft and pretty... half wood, half resin. 100% wearable though.

You know, I was expecting something more piratey, somehow. The first twenty minutes or so of this, though, I smelled exactly like a sauna. Uncannily so. Didn't know I had so strong a scent association for that.

This skin chemistry business, it certainly takes some getting used to.

After that, though, I agree with whoever said that it smelled like a sandalwood fan. That, and dhoop incense. Seems to have started smelling much warmer and oilier - less dry wood, if that makes sense - after spending some time on my skin. See, I *like* smelling like a hippie. :P

Edit: Tried it mixed with Carnal. Mmmmmm.

Edited by septima_pica

Based on notes, I was all ready to be heartbroken over this one. I adore anything piratical, though, and a little bit of sandalwood wasn't going to scare me off from wearing Anne Bonny.

First on, this is pure wood on me but oddly, I don't mind it. It's a full, round, woody smell, without a hint of the varnish that has ruined several other woody blends for me. On drydown, Anne's incensiness comes out and the effect of everything put together is rather exotic, but rough around the edges. I wouldn't say that I'm in love with this scent except that I keep waking up in the morning and reaching for it, often choosing it over oils I ostensibly like better. If nothing else, Anne Bonny is compelling.

I'm not sure whether she'll convince me to buy a 5mL, but I have two imps and they're not going anywhere.

In the imp: Patchouli and franckincense, sweetened by sandalwood, just as advertised.

On, wet: Hmm, there's a bit of a varnish-like smell at first, but it calms down pretty quickly. It's strong, woody, and resiny, and of course I like it a lot. It's more brash and in-your-face than some of the other scents I have in this family.

Drydown: Stays pretty true throughout; I think my skin amps the sandalwood and franckincense notes, which mellows the brashness as it dries.

Thumbs up!

In the Vial: A little bitter and green, with some earthiness coming from below.

On my wrist, wet: The bitterness fades a bit almost immediately, but man, does this have a hella throw. It's very heady, warm, and spicy.

After 20 minutes: Still quite spicy. I can't identify any individual notes at all, just this very brown spice, which can be nice in a cup of tea, but I'm not sure I want to wear it. Hmm. We'll see what happens.

After an hour: My head is about to explode. I can't wait to go scrub my wrist. I'm disappointed that the components of Anne Bonny, all of which I like immensely, went so horribly, horribly wrong on me. I smell like I've rolled in a vat of my late grandmother's "Youth Dew", even though I only put a tiny drop of Anne Bonny on my wrist. I'd love to smell this on someone it works for-- I bet it's very alluring. But it's not for me. This imp goes straight to the "Get it off me" pile.

I could tick of every ingredient listed:

Patchouli? yes!

Sandalwood? absolutely!

Frankincense? You betcha...

In the end though, the frankincense went coca-cola on me. Very odd. But I could see how that could happen. The rest of the elements are lovely, but have worked better in other blends...

Perfecly nice, but not for me.

I Score It: 4/10

I get red, brown and green from Anne Bonny. This is pretty spicy and bitter; it reminds me of some of the other blends I've tried like Lust, but this isn't quite as strong and it doesn't really stand out for me. I don't think I like this enough to keep the imp.

What's in this? Patchouli and what else? After much consideration, I’ve found that red patchouli is the devil (hence the red?) and I can actually take the black variety. I’ve only had a whiff out of the imp and it’s already making me dizzy. I don’t smell anything beyond the patchouli. Maybe a bit of incense – just maybe.

On the skin, the patchouli persists for a few minutes before drying down to sandalwood and, yes, patchouli. The sandalwood I like, but the red patchouli's really making my head spin. Beth loves using the patchouli, and it's one of the three things that'll ruin a blend for me, so all of these blends that I want to like, I can't. :P I'm hoping that someone'll take this imp and enjoy it in a way I just can't bring myself to. For the sandalwood making a valiant effort on my skin, 3/10.

Oookay, this is my first review... let's see how well I can do this!

In the bottle, I mainly got the patchouli, with a slight whiff of frankincense.

On me, initially, the patchouli yelled "HELLO! IT'S ME, YOUR BESTEST FRIEND!" (which I don't mind in the slightest, since I love patchouli right back :D ), but after only a few minutes, it mellowed and let the other ingredients of the blend have their say.

Patchouli, sandalwood and frankincense turned out to be very equal in strength on my skin, with the patchouli emitting a very sensual note, the sandalwood intelligence (for some reason, I always tend to associate it with ancient libraries full of scrolls) and the frankincense softens both of these notes up just enough to turn this from a unisex and kind of predatory type of scent into something (to me) more feminine with a sensual kick and the warning that whoever wears it means business!

I am completely, utterly in love with this scent, this is probably gonna be my first 10 ml. I want to bathe in it! :P

Edited by Diva Urd

A frimp from the Lab, and a scent I've been meaning to try (as you might have guessed from the name).

As usual with BPAL, the way Anne Bonny smells in the imp is nothing like it smells on. In the imp, it's unadulterated patchouli without any hint of sandalwood or frankincense. Wet, the patchouli is still overwhelming, but it mellows as it dries. The patchouli softens to a clean, almost soil-like smell while the sandalwood comes out to smell golden and the frankincense gives a cerebral hint to an otherwise earthy blend. This smell reminds me not so much of the high seas as it does the desert, or the inside of a pirate's chest: dry, woody, and hinting of far-off exoticism.

Another winner from the Lab.

Anne Bonny broke me heart. I wanted to smell all the different woods and whatnot. I wanted to be transported to a pirate ship, darn it! All I got was pure, unadulterated Sandalwood. No Patchouli, no frankinscense, no heaving deck, sea spray or pirate treasure. Just sandalwood. But I'm glad I got to try it.

In the imp: Sandalwood like whoa.

First on: I can pick up the patchouli now but sandalwood is still very dominant.

Dry: Yeah, not much of a morph.

Overall: I picked this up in a rl swap and I don't know what I was thinking, since this scent is just so not me. It must go back out into the world in search of someone to love it.

In the imp: Sandlewood. Lots of sandlewood, and barely any patchouli. It smells great.

Wet: Something weird- maybe the frankincense. I'm not really sure what frankincense smells like.

The weird note stays strong as it dries down. I was worried about the patchouli, but I never smelled it at all.

Oh my goodness! I smell like a pirate ship! All murky woods and spices. As soon as it hit my skin, it just settled into this fantastic warm rich wood scent. This is definitely going to be an autumn scent for me. One to wear on those crisp autumn days when the leaves are turning, and the wind is blowing.

Wet, this was a blast of dry woods... very much patchouli & sandalwood. Mmm pencil-shaving-licous.

Dry... this just faded bit by bit, keeping true to its notes, and was gone. Fairly quickly (less than 4 hours), which was surprising, since these notes usually last a very long time on me.

I like it, but I will probably have to test how well it lasts before I'd commit to a whole bottle. Then again, I love sandalwood + patchouli, but I think Sin is my #1 undefeated scent in this category.

Although the BPAL oils are generally potent, my dry skin really weakens them. Ann Bonny, though, surpasses all the others I've tried in strength. It's even more powerful than Scherezade.

So, on first exposure I liked the patchouli in this, and I really glommed it on. Smeared it on my wrists, daubed it into the ends of my hair with the imp-stick. What a mistake. The CEO where I work came up to the tiny office where I sit and said "What smells so lovely?" which was totally embarrassing. That was when I first realized what I'd done. I don't intend my perfume to fill my office, which is inhabited by two guys and myself.

I ran to the bathroom and scrubbed my wrists. But there was nothing I could do about the ends of my hair. And by the end of the day I'd given myself a headache, and an intense Ann Bonny aversion.

I passed this on to a friend, who will hopefully enjoy it-- safely, sanely, and moderately.

Wow, this is *strong* on me. Uh. Smells like a sauna indeed, yeah. Spot on. Strong woody sandalwood is the major note, though I can smell the patchouli and frankincense too, but mad sandalwood, basically. Too much for my taste, sadly. Not so much me.

For me, 2 out of 5. Will probably pass on to my cousin-sister, recently enabled, who likes sandalwood very much especially, and the woodier the better.

At first, I thought Anne Bonny a lot of notes in common with Jolly Roger, because I got the same hit of salt from it. Which makes sense. And I ghosted up some leather somehow, which sticks around even when it's wet on my skin; there's something intriguingly sharp and incense-y in there as well. I think it fits Anne Bonny perfectly.

That's only in the imp and wet, though. Once it's dry my chemistry amps up the frankincense until I smell like one of the gifts of the Magi. Eww. No.

Rich and dark. It takes a few minutes to settle in, but it smells delightful once it does. If you can imagine the scent of a head shop, but subtle, well blended, warm, and smooth. It's a very swashbuckling sort of scent; one I could imagine Elizabeth Swann-Turner wearing.

"I will sing you pirate songs and tell you pirate stories, of Wendy when she'd had her fill of Pan and his Lost Boys."--SJ Tucker

In the bottle: Sharp, but pleasing. I love the spicy incense smell.

On: Uh, maybe this was a mistake? Loud, brash, doesn't seem to go well with me.

Later: After a few minutes, it dies down a little, and the blend of notes starts to work well! It smells a touch resin-y, but I really like it. I have two imps now, and I'm gonna keep 'em!

Throw: Medium. This is not a subtle blend.

Yum! This is my first scent with red patchouli and it is oh so nice! I love the sandalwood in here also. This is a lighter scent than most patchouli blends I've tried and Anne Bonny just comes off as wicked. Wicked good! This just gets better and better the longer it is on my skin. Oh how I love Anne Bonny!

Wet it is nothing I expected. Sharp, like a sharp wood. But, in fact, if I look at the description, it is sandalwood and patchouli, and those are woods. I have been stupidly afraid of this scent, leaving it there for ages before testing it... as I type the scent comes to my nose and I really like it. A deep, wasted by use, rich wood, that would remind me much of a chest in fact. With a smoky something, that must be the frankincense... Super warm, but beautiful, hmhmh, I am so glad I have two imps!

This is great. I find myself liking darker eastern woods and incenses more and more, something I didn't expect, but that I am enjoying so much. Nothing to do with those horrible old lady scents of commercial perfumes! This is great stuff.

Waah, I like it more every moment it passes!

In the bottle: I loved it in the bottle. Heady, spicy, adventurous. However:

On Me: For some reason, after about an hour or so, it turned into a sort of fabric softener smell- like Bounce dryer sheets. This was sort of weird, because I like the "fresh out of the dryer" smell, but its not what I was expecting with a scent based of a notorious female pirate.

mix that with coconut (i hate coconut) and some baby powder.... and that's what my wierd chemistry turned this delicious concoction into.

i'll probably keep this to use as a room or candle scent...but not for my skin.

Patchouli and I apparently don't get along. I like it in very small doses, but when I applied a little Anne Bonny to the inside of my wrist, I had to go wash it off almost immediately. So, into the swap pile it goes.