Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Anne Bonny

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense. A million thanks to Juliana Williamson-Page for inspiration!

In imp: Patchouli and sandalwood

Wet on skin: Sandalwood and incense, very strong. Edging toward the masculine for my nose, which is strange since it is named after a female pirate. I think that woods = masculine to my nose.

Drydown: Smoky incense now, which is not unpleasant. Still very very strong on the patchouli. This feels heavy to me.

Dry: Smells very much like cedar to my nose. A pleasant smell, but too masculine feeling for me to wear during the day.

3/5

ETA: scent description Edited by LadyMako

in the imp: although not on the list, all i smell is sweet, smoky vetiver. hmmm :P

wet on skin: more of the same!

dry down: that vetiver,scent i was catching has totally left the building. in it's place is a citrus-toned frankincense and not much else.

in all: while not a "bad" scent, this one just isn't very exciting to/on me. there are so many other BPALs that bowl me over with their gloriousness that it just doesn't seem worth it to waste me time with this one. still, if you adore frankincense, by all means, give this a shot- maybe it'll make your dreams come true. :D

In the imp - a very masculine scent, to my nose. Heavy on the patchouli and frankincense.

Wet it becomes softer almost immediately. Not quite feminine, but it's definitely downgraded from masculine to unisex. Not as sharp and biting as in the imp, but still heavy on the incense vibe.

After a while it's just a musky incense, which for some reason is giving me a slight headache for some reason. A few hours later and it's still a heavy incense scent, but the sandalwood has been slowly taking over as the front note.

A great scent if you enjoy incense and musk in my opinion. I get a dusky red color association with this as well, almost the color of dried blood. Not to be gross, just that kind of burnt red/brown shade :P

I had a flashback to Highwayman when I tried this one. Lots of woody, cedary, incense ash in this one. Actually...that's pretty much all this is so far. I'm hoping the patchouli shows up soon but that note is always really faint on me while I amp sandalwood and cedars like nobody's business so this may be it. Ballsy blend, though :P

Well, frankincense is certainly the predominant note all the way through. The very same bitterbitterbitter one that's in Penitence. The red sandalwood attempts to smooth is over as best it can, but has very little luck. The sandalwood only encourages it. It's pretty badass, that frankincense. Overall, what I get from this is the leather note I never had. BPAL's leather is total fail on me. Epic fail. BUT. Anne Bonny's notes come together to a dirty, spicy, smoky LEATHER. So piratical. I'm in love. I feel sexy in this stuff. :P

Imp: Strong, strong frankincense and spicy (not dirty) patchouli. There's a breath of sandalwood, too, like an old wooden box that has been used to keep incense for many, many years.

Wet: Bitter frankincense and dry, sweet patchouli. This is extremely dry and smells like an old furniture shop to me-- very woody and dusty. But nice. Salty, too.

Dry: There's something in here that's so sharp it's almost a little bit urine-ish on me. I strongly suspect it's the frankincense, and without the softer, sweeter notes present in, say, Midnight Mass, it's pretty much doing this one in on me. It's not at all a bad scent, but nowhere near as sultry as I was expecting. I can't see reaching for this over, say, Scherazade.

I wasn't expecting to like this one as much as I did. It's certainly strong stuff in the bottle and wet, but in a good way. I was worried that the frankincense would overwhelm the other notes as I'm not big on incense scents, but through the drydown and for hours it hung close to the skin, blending with the other notes and generally making itself useful.

A couple of hours later, the scent becomes much sweeter. This stage is also very enjoyable; it's as if our swashbuckling heroine has slipped into a little black dress and gone on a date, while remaining badass, of course. In the space of a day, this scent has crept into my favourites. It definitely evokes images of female pirates, and having had this in my oil burner for an hour or so, my room smells like a pirate ship. It's yummy and sexy.

:wub2: I love it.

Deep, woody and spicy. Lots of patchouli, almost cedar-like. I don't get a lot of the red sandalwood, mostly just the patchouli and the dry resiny-ness of the frankincense. This is not feminine in the slightest yet not overly masculine either. It has a tough quality with a subtle underlying softness at the core--something perhaps appropriate for a female pirate.

When I first dabbed some on I got a ton of frankincense, which surprised me for a moment: I forgot about the frankincense! I was thinking all about the patchouli and sandalwood. But this was oodles of frankincense, with patchouli and sandalwood rolling around in the background. Now, frankincense usually strikes me as churchy when it's very dominant, but it isn't here. The earthy patchouli and dry, strong woodsiness of the red sandalwood tone it down in equal parts, and as the scent dries and wears for a while the three listed notes blend together. Unfortunately, the end result doesn't have enough pizazz to keep me interested. I love some good sandalwood, incense, and patchouli, but this smells a little too straightforward, almost crass, in a piratey sort of way.

Oi, red! This very much reminds me of Malediction and maybe Greed for its patchouli, and the red sandalwood is definitely also in The Red Queen (appropriate, eh?). The wood is rough-hewed, though, compared to the burnished smoothness of the woods in Red Queen. The resin of the frankencense moistens up the scent which tends to be on the drier side, and it's almost sweet for the blend that it is.

Oh my. Ohmyohmyohmy. (deep inhale)

I put off trying this for a long time since it sounded too masculine, but since I was frimped some, I thought I would give it a shot.

Oh my. This is GORGEOUS. It is definitely not a dainty feminine scent. This is an "I'll either kick your ass or screw your brains out...or maybe both" scent. It's earthy and sexy and strong all at once.

I have to order a bottle. Like now. :wub2:

Why oh why isn't hubby home? :twisted:

This was among my first order of Imp's ears.

Wet: The patchoui really dominates the perfume for me. I really did not get any of the sandalwood, which upset me, as I am *not* a big fan of patchouli. But being named after a most infamous female pirate, I HAD to order. <G>

On the skin: on teh immediate drydown, the Patchouli was still pretty strong, but after a little while on my skin, the Sandalwood came to dominate the scent. I get very little of the Frankincense and Patchouli at all. While Blood, Vice and Poisoned Apple turned out to be my favorites from this particular order, I do like the Anne Bonny, and will probably order a full bottle in the near future.

In the imp: Very strong. This is a scent that demands respect!

On my skin: It smells like ocean water, which makes... quite a bit of sense. Smoke. Old leather and books. This is one of the best ones I've tried so far.

Edited by sirensea

:thud:

This is all sandalwood and surprisingly mellow patchouli on me.

I have no problems with patchouli (bring it on), and to me, this is a well behaved patchouli, staying in the background or blending so seamlessly with other notes that it hardly registers.

I get no sea or ocean type scent, which is good because I can't stand aquatics. That said, I *do* get something damp, like damp wood, but it's not watery. Many reviewers have compared it to the sea-water soaked wood of a ship, and I think that's it exactly.

The frankincense is also blended in well. I love resins, so I wouldn't object to it being a bit louder on me.

After reading the reviews I was expecting a very dry, strong scent, and was very surprised to find that Anne Bonny, on me, is a gentle, rounded blend of damp sandalwood and slightly spicy patchouli. It doesn't have a lot of throw on my skin, but I like that, as most of my perfumes knock birds off the branches when I walk past.

To me this is not really a sexy scent in itself, like, say, Snake Oil. It's a comforting and deep scent. Resins and woods always calm me down.

Anne Bonny is gorgeous. So glad I took a chance and bought a bottle unsniffed.

This just might be the sandalwood/resin scent I've been looking for.

In the imp this is a dark, strong, woody smell. There's no hint of sweetness to it.

Wet, I can very faintly smell a dark spiciness. It tickles my nose without having a strong scent.

Dry... nothing. If I press my nose against my skin I can maybe, maybe smell a hint of that darkness, but aside from that it's totally gone. My husband says he thinks he can smell something, but so faintly that he's not completely sure. My skin just seems to drink this into non-existence.

In the imp: patchouli..

On me: This is a dry, woody scent. A fragrant wooden box which holds incense. It's also very light on my skin, however. Interesting.. I'll keep the imp, but I'm not sure I'd seek more out if I used it all.

This smells like vinegar and vetiver. Could be wet wood? Maybe it's a fresh imp and needs to settle a bit? Right now, this is not for me.

In the imp: Lusty sandalwood and patchouli--this is my first experience with the red versions of these notes and I really like their sandy warmth.

Wet on skin: Noooooooo...I had hope that the sandalwood and patchouli would form an alliance to take down the frankincense, but they are no match for it at this point.

Dry on skin: This would be lovely if not for the frankincense, which amps into sharp bitterness on me. Sad! I'm going to let my imp age, because the sandalwood/patchouli combo would be absolutely lovely if the frankincense would just chill out a bit.

Peppery! I'm still training my nose to recognise various scents, but all I can really smell is pepper and sandalwood. It's actually surprisingly nice, since I usually loathe sandalwood in any combination! It gets a little sweeter on the dry down, but it's a pretty masculine scent in general. I don't know if I'm going to be able to pull this off but it was nice having a chance to sniff it, in any case :)

In the vial: Smoky sandalwood!

Wet: Sultry, warm, wood mixed with patchouli...soooo gorgeous!

Dry: This is all sandalwood on me...a glorious, wonderful sandalwood. A perfect sandalwood! The patchouli anchors the scent down, allowing it to last on my skin (sandalwood for some reason likes to play disappearing acts with me).

Verdict: An incredibly sexy, woody, slightly smoky scent that I am truely in love with. :wub2:

This is heavy on the sandalwood to the point it almost drowns out the other notes. I'm not too fond of sandalwood or patchouli so I'm not a fan of this blend.

This imp will go in my swap pile.

This starts out really strong and a bit sharp- almost like cedar. Once it hits my skin, it starts to smell more like incense. After it dries down completely, it gets much softer and becomes a warm frankincense and sandalwood blend. I like it pretty well and find it rather soothing when I need a strong, warm scent.

My first BPAL! This is exciting.

In the bottle: Mmm! Deep, dark, heady, incense-y (like walking into one of the old hippie shops on Haight St.), with a strong resin aroma. There's also that burn of alcohol and a note I'd probably call salty. So far, Anne Bonny reminds me of wood polish and old furniture.

Wet: It's lighter, softer, smoother and turning sweet and a bit spicy. There's less of that alcohol harshness but the resin note is still very present.

Dry down: After a couple of minutes, I get primarily resin and spice. After five minutes I get the saltiness coming out and the general scent is a lot more mellow. It becomes a pleasant, light woody scent with a spicy/salty tang. Like wood soaked in incense. Twenty minutes later, the sandalwood is the most prominent aroma, along with salt. An hour later, the salty sandalwood is still going strong.

Oh crap, after about an hour and a half, it's settled down into pencil shavings.

Final Thoughts: After three hours, Anne Bonny is still going but I'm not enjoying the way it turned out. I liked the warmth of Anne Bonny and its deepness/darkness in the bottle. I loved that wood-soaked-in-incense aroma and wish it could hold have held on to that for a bit longer.

Imp: Wood chips?

Wet: mmmmmyeah still wood chips

Drydown: Creamy cedar and coconut?

Overall: Wow. For once I wanted some badass hippie stink, but I got some weird wood note stuff. No patchouli, no sandalwood. Maybe it's the frank that's making it smell like wood chips. Either way, it's not doing anything for me