Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roisnoir

Anne Bonny

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense. A million thanks to Juliana Williamson-Page for inspiration!

Gah! imp cap decapitation! Ok, I take that as a sign that I should test this now. I didn't have any spare 1/32oz vials (must make a note to actually buy some of these things), so it's been decanted into a little 2ml atomiser. It should be OK and not affect the oil, I hope!

In the imp, it's all patchouli and sandalwood to my nose.

Wet on skin, it's much the same... it has me a little worried, especially as it's drying because I keep thinking medicinal. Perhaps that's the frankincense poking its head out.

I keep going back to where I tested this to have another sniff - it's not something I'd choose to wear, but it's sure got my nose intrigued! I might let this wander its way to someone else who may appreciate it more... poor decapitated imp! Edited by Shollin

This was one of the first oils on my BPAL wishlist -- I love the idea of it, and the notes sounded good too. I got it, tried it, thought it didn't smell right, and swapped it. Then a couple months later I was looking at the notes and thought, "Hey, that shoulda smelled good, why did I swap that?" I got another imp, tried it again, and swapped that one away too.

The sandalwood in this reminds me of cedarwood, it's kind of a peppery wood scent. Kind of like Cathedral. The frankincense makes it quite sweet. And now I've tried enough other blends to know that red patchouli isn't good for me. Most patchouli is fine on me, and in fact I like it a lot, but for some reason red patchouli kind of smells sour on me, a little musty.

So now I've written this review to remind myself why I don't need to try this oil again, even though the notes sound good.

Anne Bonny is sharp woods with a little sweetness. I love the hint of warmth and resins behind the sharpness. This is very much like Aureus, but stronger. If Aureus is yellow light, Anne Bonny is deep red wood. I like this a lot. Can't pick out the patchouli very much, but that's okay. I think it adds depth and earthiness to the wood. Great scent that I'll enjoy wearing from time to time. I'd like to do a side by side comparison with Aureus just to see which I like better.

Edit How funny! Today when I got home from work, I put Anne Bonny on one arm and Aureus on the other, totally forgetting that that's exactly what I wrote in this review. Anyway....

Anne Bonny has aged fabulously. In fact, it has barely changed from what I remember (I tested from the same imp). I'm almost positive this has a little red musk even though it's not listed in the notes. Compared to Aureus, it's stronger, more full-bodied, and...well, more red. Aureus is fainter, a little dusty in comparison, and much more dry. Why am I comparing them? Because I still think they're very close as far as how they behave on my skin. Aureus has much less throw, which can be a good thing every now and then, if I'm not in the mood for a strong scent. Anne Bonny has that big red 'kick', and I honestly won't wear it much, but I won't give up my imp.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Well, I love pirates so I knew I had to try this one out when I first discovered BPAL (about a month and a half ago) and I love it. It's gorgeous. As it dries, this lovely woody smell emerges and I swear it smells exactly like the creaking boards of a pirate ship mixed with a bit of salt and the frankincense and sandalwood of Anne herself. I will have to buy a bottle of this as it's genius--a woman pirate essence captured in a bottle.

AnneBonnySS.jpg

What a delight this imp was to my nose! Patchouli done right is one of my favorite scents, and Beth certainly did this blend right. :D

In the imp: deep and dark patchouli, with sandalwood! oh, how very interesting this is to the nose, though the frankincense is not much in evidence just yet. Just even smelling it makes me want to holler, "Tawanda!" and go out and do something to flout authority. :P

Wet on skin: Much the same as in the imp; in fact, I may lose this portion of my future reviews because not many scents are different in the imp and wet on the skin, at least to me. Again, the strong patchouli/sandalwood scent totally empowers me in such a wild and thoroughly feminine way. Rawrrrr! :)

Dry: I think the frankincense is not at the forefront of this blend, but it is definitely smoothing out the sometimes rough-and-ready scent of the patchouli. I must admit I am more used to the black version of patchouli than the red, but this is so divine I am obviously missing out on something great. The red sandalwood is also something I am not knowledgeable about as opposed to another kind? I really didn't realize there were more than one kind of sandalwood, which exposes my own ignorance. Be that as it may, this is such a delightful wild, feminine, and earthy blend. :D

Verdict: I want more than this stingy little imp.

Edited by stellans

This is one of my favourite oils. It smells perfect on me, just gorgeous. It comes off very woodsy and strong and slightly sugared on my skin. I really adore how it makes me feel when I wear it.

And yet, everyone who I've worn it around hates it. Go figure.

I don't want to rule out the potential that I'm just crazy, but when I first put this on it's reminiscent of my father's bay rum aftershave. Fortunately that fades out quickly, and I'm left with a delightful incense-y scent that's not as dark as most of BPAL's incense scents. It's almost...well, ticklish. It's also rather salty, which works well for a pirate, but not so much for me. I like it after it's had awhile to grow fainter, so that there's still a lingering spice without the aggressive throw Anne Bonny has at first.

I ordered Anne Bonny based exclusively on the name. I guessed that I wouldn't like sandalwood (the incense gives me the dumb) and that the patchouli would remind me of this enemy roommate I once had. I bought hellcat too, because people called her that, and I figured I could layer them for a pirate in the bakery sort of smell. I figured pirate in a bakery would be a nice consolation for loathing Anne Bonny.

But I was wrong.

If someone made a custom perfume for me, without asking what scents I like or what I think I want to smell like, it would probably be Anne Bonny.

All the components blend into one perfect, smooth, well rounded scent. I can't pick anything out, or even analyse how it changes. It doesn't really smell like anything, though it seems terribly historic. It is so much more than the sum of its parts.

I've noticed it smells better on my right wrist than on my left, and it occasionally goes acrid/sharp, but that tends to cool down after a while.

In a few days, though, I know it will be UTTERLY PERFECT. So perfect, in fact, that I'm waiting until then to wear it, so I can appreciate it fully.

In the bottle: Very woody sandalwood, and frankincense.

Wet: Frankincense, that takes over everything else. Also, red sandalwood in the background. Patchouli hovers in the background.

Drydown: A very pleasant mix of patchouli and sandalwood, with frankincense hovering above it. It's nearly earthy, probably because of the patchouli, and rather spicy. It reminds me a lot of Beth's loam note, something that I've never got until now from regular black patchouli and other sandalwoods. Frankincense comes back with a vengeance after a while and the blend veers towards citrusy.

Overall: It's a very interesting blend, sensual and mysterious, but also rather biting and energetic. It's woody and incensy, and I really quite like it... unfortunately I have an allergy to frankincense, so I can't really use it.

Anne Bonny

A Review in Dialogue

Ghost Light: Oh good, my bottle from Ebay arrived today and they threw in some frimps! I need these to help improve a bad day. And look! Anne Bonny! I've always wanted to try this one (slather slather) EEk...that's a little sharp. I really get the patchouli strong. This one may need a second opinion - Geolinguist? Acey? Hubby? Damn, just me. Oh well. Better go back to work.

Littlest Actress (enters 2 hours after slather) Hi Ghost Light.

Ghost Light: Hey, Little. I'm trying a new perfume. Would you smell my wrist and tell me honestly if I put on too much?

Littlest Actress: Okay (sniff) Wow!! (sniff sniff) You didn't put on too much (sniff sniff sniff)...you didn't put on ENOUGH! You should BATHE in this! (sniff sniff sniff sniff)

Ghost Light: Okay, honey, thanks. I really needed that.

Littlest Actress: (sniff) Mmmmm.....

Ghost Light: Okay, Little. I need my wrist back now....

Littlest Actress: (sniff) mmmmmmm....

Ghost Light: Now, Little...look, you're going to miss your entrance!

Littlest Actress: But! But! (shuffles off, dejected) Awww...

Ghost Light: Wow, that never happened before. I wonder how the other Pirates will like it at the meeting tonight. (and, through the magic of time telescoping, Ghost Light arrives at the meeting) Hi everybody. Hey Val, I got Anne Bonny today, want to smell?

Val: Of course! (sniff) Mmm....I like the patchouli. This is really nice (sniff) I really like this. (sniff) I...mmmmmm

Angel: I want to smell!

Ghost Light: Okay, just a sec. (attempts to walk over to his chair) Um, Val?

Val (still holding on and sniffing) Mmmmm....

Ghost Light: Umm, Val...I need my wrist back..

Val: But! But! Awwwww....

Angel: This better be some good..(sniff)..mmmmm...

Stymie: You're holding out on me!

Ghost Light: (giggling now) I'll be there in a second, Stymie. I just (tug) need (tug) Um, Angel? I need my wrist back.

Angel: But! But! Awwww...

Stymie: (sniff) Mmmm....Hey, Ghost Light. Exactly how committed are you to Hubby?

Hubby: (watching the whole thing, rather amused) I'd say my lack of commitment to BPAL is going to be the real problem here.

Stymie: Mmmm....

Ghost Light: Hubby, do you want to smell it? I can get my wrist back if you want it.

Stymie: But! But! Aww...

Hubby: Okay...(sigh. Sniff)

Everyone in Unison: Weeeeellll?

Hubby: It's...nice? (people begin to boo and throw things) I said "nice"! (more booing) Okay, that's it. I'm taking Ghost Light and her wrists home with me.

Everyone: But! But! Awwwwww....

Initial stages

Spicy!

Somehow feels like wood... dry. Yet sweet. I am guessing this is the sandalwood, which I am not very familiar with in isolation. It's quite, quite interesting - I think I like it.

Beginning to dry..

The spiciness has mellowed under the overwhelming influence of woodiness. P.S. this is pretty strong. I like the smell of the throw a lot more than I like it up close (reminds me of a cedar chest), so I hope it mellows down more as it dries.

Drier..

Mm, it is mellowing. This is such an interesting scent to me - not something I associate with myself, but I think I would like a scent that has these components. I might try layering this with fruiter scents.

Conclusion

It's softer now. Final impression = so intriguing, I have to keep it. It's unlike any other blends I've collected so far.

Also: I am terribly envious of Ghost Light's Anne Bonny experience. :P

Edited because I never seem to remember that board formatting =/= html formatting.

Edited by dorothy humbird

In vial: only smelled ok, hard to pick out notes for me.

On arm: sandalwood, sandalwood, sandalwood!! And I looove sandalwood. I bought this one both for the name and for the description, despite the fact that I am fast learning I can't always go by the ingredients to tell if a scent will work on me. As it dried I caught hints of the patchouli & incense, but the sandalwood stayed on top.

I wore it out to dinner with my dad tonight, and guys kept coming up to me...4 cute young guy waiters hovered like bees in a garden. *g*

Needless to say, I love this stuff & must buy a 5ml asap.

Bottle: Woody and spicy!

Wet: Woah patchouli.

Dry: Anne Bonny smells like total B.O. on me. Eeep.

Overall: I should have known better than to mess with frankincense, patchouli and sandalwood. None of them are good on me alone; why should they be any better together???

Another complete frankincense failure on me. I make everything with that note smell like burnt wood (and not in a good, smoky firey way, just in a boring icky burnt way). This sounded so good but the frankincense did its thing from the start and I couldn't even detect any other notes. Arrr!

Anne Bonny

This is another one that has grown on me over the time I've worn it. The first time I smelled it I thought it was quite medicinal, kind of eucalyptus. But over time that changed....

The Red Sandalwood was the most predominant note for me. Which was quite fitting due to the whole, pirate, wooden, ship kind of thing. The frankincense was also quite stong, but the sandalwood stayed stong all the way to dry.

It didn't really change very much either, it was just a nice woodsy scent. I think it's definately a unisex scent aswell!

Overall...I didn't find it amazingly special but it was quite pleasant!

This smells so much of stink pee on my skin!

On my boyfriend it smells rich and spicey and red and and poisonous.

Still not good at doing reviews but this perfume is absolutely wonderful. It's spicy and yet sweet on me. And warm.

*adds another one to her favourites list*

[Will be edited later if/when I am able to pick out notes]

Rawr and argh! This scent is everything I imagined it to be and more. Strong, independant and just a little dirty. The patchouli isn't your typical head-shop patchouli, it is a spicy rum concoction stirred with the sandalwood. I tested a drop on my wrist and it seemed a little too strong, even though I liked the fragrance. After a quick run of water (didn't want to remove it all with alcohol) it was absolutely perfect and beautiful. I think I am going to buy a bottle of this to keep around when I feel like robbing my matey of some booty.

I received Anne Bonny as a frimp and I had been wanting to try it for a long time. Ar first it was very strong and overpowering. The patchouli was so strong that I actually coughed when I sniffed it! That took me by surprise! I had to stop and go do some chores while it mellowed out a little bit. I tried again after an hour and it did mellow out and now I can smell the sandalwood. I don't know if I would wear this scent but I think I would like this on my husband. I think I will pass this along to him. :P

At first this is all sandalwood and patchouli on me, which is a wonderful combination. Then gradually the frankincense emerges which makes it even better. Warm, heady, spightly incensey woods that are a bit dirty and with a hint of spice. My kind of scent!

And then that aquatic salty note appears too. Very appropriate, but not something I'm crazy about. However I still like this, but it's no longer a bottle scent. The imp's a keeper though.

In the imp: Anne Bonny smells dry and faintly woody to me. It's like a woodshop or a ship builder's which hasn't been operational in a long time. (A dry one, nothing of damp or mouldering woods here.)

Wet: The sandalwood is front and foremost, very sharp. It reminds me of woodchip bedding for small rodents, and I almost wash it off. But I want to like this one, so I leave it on, hoping for some of the dark power that others have experienced.

Dry: Still sandalwood, though less like pet bedding. This is very strong, and while it smells like sandalwood up close, a co-worker asks where the Ajax smell is coming from.

Nine hours later: Oh, there's the incense, how nice. But then it's gone.

All in all, I don't think I'll be wearing this much. Though the intensity of the sandalwood makes it potentially useful for meditation work.

When I opened the imp, I got a nose full of musk. On my skin it was musk and patchouli. There was no depth to this perfume, and it's way too heavy and overpowering.

This is a strong and deep scent.I don't like the sandalwood and that is all I smell.After several hours it dries down to a warm and slightly sweet smelling haze of incense,kind of nice,but I can't handle the initial sharpness.It is everlasting,I could still smell it faintly the next morning.

Ack. I am so upset - I wanted to love Anne Bonny b/c I love patchouli so ... but alas, the red sandalwood spices it up a bit too much, and the frankincense...I'm beginning to think that my skin is just not a friend of frankincense, which again makes me sad.

Wet: spicy, strong, heady

On skin: Antiquey smelling...kind of like when you walk into an old country store and take a big whiff.

Drydown: The patchouli makes it presence known, but in a more spicy way than I am used to.

I think Red Sandalwood fans will really love this. For me, I'll keep it as a house scent for the fall.

Off to more imp sniffing...

Edited by seven