Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alice Aforethought

Fenris Wolf

The raw, untamable power of chaos. Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.

In the Bottle: Sweet and musky, and what I think is amber.

Wet: Deliciously musky and woody. Wild smelling. Very sensual, to me.

Dry: Warm and sweet, musky, and woodsy at the same time. It smells...like a deep, burnt red colour, pulsing with a raw power. This would be gorgeous on a man too, but I'm keeping it all for myself.

Glad I finally got to try this, it has been on my wish list for a while. At first, I'm reminded of Blood Kiss quite a bit, I guess because of the musk. It's a spicy, earthy scent that seems to me to be in the same family as Blood Kiss, Kabuki, and Scherezade, all of which smell kind of related to me.

But then as it dries it becomes its own animal. I start to smell what I kept thinking was a little bit of civet, along with the sandalwood. It comes together into something that is a sum of its parts rather than individual notes. It is indeed wild, making me think of animals in their natural habitat, the same way Satyr did. Kind of repellant to my nose and something I'll most likely swap.

Edit: This is yet another scent that I'm glad I gave another chance. Someone gave me a new imp of it and I really like it right now....maybe I have to be in just the right mood. I think it's the red musk that was rubbing me the wrong way before. I love it today!

Edited by Forspecial Plate

In the bottle: rosewood and sandalwood. Rich and warm.

On my skin: Spicey amber and sandalwood. Plus a hint of booze (wine?).

After a couple of hours: woody and spicey sexiness... it has a very good staying power as well.

Verdict: it's a frimp and I was even reluctant to try it because well... I didn't like the name and I wasn't thrilled when I read the notes. But it's a definite keeper. It's so damn sensual!

First off, all I can say is wow. This may knock Villain down to number two as my main scent.

In the vial I mainly smell the amber and rosewood, the others stay in the background and I can't pick them out.

Wet- First thing is the musk jumps to the forground, at first sniff I wasn't sure this would work for me. Let's just say that at times musk makes me smell like a wet dog. But after about 4-5 seconds the other scents stepped up and it becomes very sweet/ sharp smelling. Couldn't pick out anything but, it didn't actually smell bad.

Dry- At this point it almost smells feminine, the rosewood and sandalwood are up with the other parts just barely knocking the sweetness down a level or two with the musk giving it an edge.

Dry, 5 min- The musk was been knocked into the background, just there but not really noticable. Mostly Sandalwood and a hint of amber peeking it's head out, the other's are playing backup.

A short while later- Now it's mostly amber, which I love, reminds me of incense. The other scents are still there but they've mostly blended together keeping the amber from getting too sweet and less honey-like. The musk is back but now it's just this dark undertone that warms and balances out the sweetness, slightly rough/sour but in a good way.

All in all, a great blend, getting a big bottle next payday. It is one of those scents that tells you right off it's for a guy but, I can see this one also working on the right woman.

Slight Update- Tried it out today and the only thing else I can add is the fact that the musk lasted a little longer than the rest but I have to say, still a keeper. Other notes died out in about 4 hours (which is normal for me), musk lasted about 35 min longer.

Edited by seamus6387

Seamus,

It seems our tastes are similar. I also liked Villain a great deal and Fenris was one I was hoping to like as well. As it turns out, it reminds me of walking into a shop that sells supernatural and spiritual items, with nag champa and various other scents wafting about. Very pleasant and grounding.

I like this scent a lot and will definitely consider it as a larger bottle scent to purchase.

Maybe this is a signature Capricorn scent? I'm curious to see if there ever comes a line of TRUE zodiac scents...not just what people THINK should be the scents, but if there is a sign-centric scent, for want of a better phrase.

As an Earth sign, I tend to be attraced most to earthy, musky scents. I LOVE pine, cedar and most dark musks (especially if sweetened with a citrus note). I wonder if water signs like wet scents, air signs like ozone and fire signs prefer cinammon and dragon scents. Something to think about I guess...

And regarding Fenris Wolf, I agree with your review 100% This is an excellent combination of notes!

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

I've wanted to try this for a while, and I'm so grateful to the ever-awesome Silvertree for giving it to me!

In the imp, this is very dark, powerful and musky. On, the musk is still the dominant note, although the woods and a sweet ambery note balance it nicely. There isn't a huge change as it dries down for me - I just keep getting that same delicious musky-woodsy-amber accord. Fenris lasts and lasts for me, too - almost 10 hours (8 of which were spent working very hard indeed) later, I can still smell it.

FENRIS WOLF

In Bottle: Red musk, resin and woods

On Skin: For anyone that likes feral, musky, dark, resinous scents, here is your best friend. Fenris Wolf is all those to an extreme. Quite beautiful and sexy. I have Jacob’s Ladder on one wrist and Fenris Wolf on the other and Fenris is like Jacob’s naughty, darker cousin. While Jacob’s Ladder is warm and golden, Fenris wolf is even warmer and dark red. Very lusty, abit woody and animalistic but still that gorgeous resinous, slightly powdery seductive feel. The rosewood in FW is a bit stronger than the rockrose in JL so it does have a slightly sharper tone as well. I also think FW is just a tad more masculine than JL… but a woman could still wear it for sure. All in all, a lovely scent I’m going to love wearing. Strong throw and long wearlength.

Fenris wolf on me is warm and resiny. It doesn't go all the way to woody and I think that's because the amber keeps it sweet. It is a dark red/brown scent, just like it's color. I would wear this and it would also be good on a man.

I just put this on and on the first whiff, it makes me think of my current favorite, Anne Bonny. Must be the red sandalwood.

Now I'm sniffing my wrist some more that it has dried and I'm getting a general warm, woody smell. Very nice, very cozy. A bit masculine, but only a bit and I like it on me. :P

Edited by Analise

I originally bought this for my hubby as BPAL have listed it on their webby as recommended for guys, but he hasn't even tried it. :P

Wet - smells very very close to Scherezade to my sniffer......I'm presuming that's because of the red musk they both have in common.

After 10 mins - I think it's the rosewood coming out now.....it smells more grounded somehow, and a little less 'girly'. Still not sure why Fenris is touted as a masculine fragrance though?

After an hour - the red musk and amber have softened things further. The resiny part is really warming up now. It seems more....earthy, but it's a sweet earthy. This is the sweet incensey kind of smell I love to wear out, but I find it's a little heavy for daytime.

I think I need to persuade hubby that he needs to give this a go, if only to see how it differs on him.

Wood and sandalwood...not a very complicated scent on me. Cedar? Reminds me of my hamster cage which always makes me think it must be cedar. Not my kind of scent at all but always glad to have frimps to try!

I got this as a free imp from the Lab. Hmm, everything they've sent that I've tried so far has been a winner. I just ordered a 5ml bottle of this!

Wet: amber and something sinisterly sweet in the background.

Drydown brings up woodsy notes behind the amber, and a musky darkness.

Dry: Darkly spicy and resinous, with a big WHOOSH of amber! Fairly good throw, but not overwhelming. It's gorgeously sinister, like a sensuous meeting by night in a dark forest.

Verdict: an instant favorite!

OMG! This may be the ultimate one for me!!!!

In bottle-A woody spice. Most likely the sandalwood and rosewood combining. I was afraid it would be too spicy for me.

Wet on skin-Still very woody, but less spice. The musk and amber(two of my favorite scents) are starting to appear.

Drydown-Very warm....starts out heavy on the musk but the longer it drys the more amber is coming to the forefront.

Verdict--MUST HAVE BIG BOTTLE!!!!! (my mother has worn Shalimar for years and this smells like Shalimar's feral cousin! LOVE IT!!)

:P

***This is one of my first reviews.....and Have to say.....still very true! Fenris was the first description that really caught my eye on the BPAL website....the first imp I knew I had to have.....and after two months (and over 100 imps--plus several Big Bottles of LEs--later) is STILL one of my top five if not numero UNO! Something about the way the amber and sandalwood combine makes this divine! :D

Oh....and I love this so much I've imped out alot of my first Big Bottle (because when I love something SOOOOO much I just HAVE to share it!) ....so a second bottle will soon be ordered...sigh.... :D Especially since I've started making a "perfume spray" of it with 1 part oil to 9 parts Everclear and spritzing my bed....sigh.....yes....this is a KEEPER scent!

Edited by Bulletslc

Yes, yes YES!

This was a frimp, and it had languished on my wishlist for so long that I forgot the notes. I tested this blind.

Mmmm, second-skin masculine musk with a touch of coniferous forest. It's a dark, night-time, but fresh scent. Incredibly comforting, fabulous.

DH will have to try this, but if not I'll be happy to wear it myself. I'm sad that I picked Snow Moon for today's blend, because I miss this already.

Woody and musky, Fenris Wolf has a slightly sweet edge, the sandalwood and musk are just a bit like cola while it's in the bottle.

On, the musk powers up at the same time the wood comes out as much rounder and spicer. The rosewood here is very spicy and very sharp, this is a heavy smell with a surprising edge to it, soft but enveloping. The cola smell is gone.

On weardown, it's very woody, with that fuzzy musk still lingering. Very tenacious and long-lasting.

This one is fairly unisex, and I think for someone searching for a woody, musky scent, something personal and warm, would do well to consider this one. It's quite nice.

my "nose" is still learning...so if ya'll say this is sandlewood, rosewood, red musk, and amber...then I want more fragrances with those things in them! I love this. It does seem to fade rather quickly (after about 4 hrs.), or maybe I just get used to smelling it.

Edited by Beckery

We must have a mislabeled imp. Because this is nothing but sandalwood both on him and in the vial. Doesn't really change, just smells like sandalwood...like the incense they were burning at the Islamic store last week.

Edited by Chickie

This Fenris Wolf is a slightly shifty guy. In the imp, and to a slightly lesser extent wet on skin, he was predominantly sweet in a way that had me thinking of dragon's blood. Shortly after, however, he immediately started throwing like a major-league pitcher -- is it the combination of the amber and the red musk that created an immensely strong, smoky note reminiscent of Debauchery? Only on the drydown did the woodsy notes emerge at all for me.

Regardless, I love this one (despite the need to reapply a little oftener than I'd like). People seem to love or hate the really feral scents. Me, it's the former.

When I awoke, the Dire Wolf,

Six hundred pounds of sin,

Was grinning at my window;

All I said was "Come on in"

-- The Grateful Dead

Frimp from the lovely lab; I make it a rule to try everything that passes through my hands, regardless of whether I think I'll like it.

Very much red musk on me, with a bit of the wood note off the sandalwood. Red musk goes faintly to powder on me, but the powder is REALLY faint here. This is nice! I wouldn't wear it, but I really enjoy smelling it, to the point where I want to find an excuse to wear it. I know I won't though... sigh.

*sigh* One of the first blends I coveted, and had high hopes for. I'd been expecting pure boy-sex. That was, of course, until my discovery that BPAL resins and my skin chemistry are mortal enemies.

The imp and wet, yep - smells awesome. All the things I love. Wait for it...

Dry down: Uh huh, that tell-tale smell of the oncoming powder. For a while I thought the lovely red musk was hanging in and going to rescue the blend, but nope. Brave try, darling musk.

Sorry Mr Wolf. Powder isn't sexy.

:P

Oddly (or maybe not, judging by other reviews), right out of the imp Fenris smells of pine to me. As it dries the sandalwoods make an appearance along with a hint of something sweeter, maybe the amber. Soon I could smell the same undertone of red musk that I love in Spellbound and Sin, except Fenris Wolf is dryer and more masculine to my nose.

This is actually better on my hubby, but I could see myself wearing it in the winter.

This is very dark and musky. I can smell the red musk and amber a lot. A little too much for me but I can see how someone would like it. The color of it was cool...redish purple! hehe. It has the same smell on my skin and it's even stronger. Stayed on for quite a while...one of the longest lasting scents!

In the imp: Musky and sandalwoody

On Skin: Sandalwood explosion. I smell like a dirty hippie.

On Drydown: The sandalwood backs off enough for everything else to play. I get hints of the rose, with the sweet powderyness of amber. It kinda smells like a masculine version of Spellbound, muskier and dirtier.

Verdict: The sandalwood is too much for me to cope with. I tried this on the husband, and it's a sweet, slightly musky barely there scent. Off to swaps for this one.

Soft and spicy. Smells like fall. Maybe it's because now, late August, lets me know fall is on its way, but the smell is just... Right for now. Beautiful.