Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alice Aforethought

Fenris Wolf

Fenris Wolf

The raw, untamable power of chaos. Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.

This is BPAL generic to me: warm, sweet, spicy, boozy, cinnamony. A red scent. It has a certain herbal bitterness to it that makes it a masculine scent, at least before it dries. Ah well, I got it for a friend who's not the perfume type of guy and he wore it next time we met, perhaps mostly to be polite though...

Smells like cedar wet and dry, not much else. I'm assuming it's the rosewood that's responsible. Nice scent, but not something I want alot of.

Scent in bottle: Deep, nutty musk and woods. This musk is going to attack, isn't it?

Scent on me:

Wet -- No attacking musk! :-) Instead, the sandalwood takes over and the musk stays nicely in the background. No amber yet, but that tends to come out in the drydown.

Dry -- Sandalwood, musk, and just a touch of amber. It's a surprisingly sharp scent, given those notes. This sandalwood has teeth.

Conclusion: Nice, but I'm not sure it's bottle-worthy. Definitely keeping the imp, though.

In the bottle - Woody - primarily the slightly sweet, slightly coconuty scent of the red sandalwood.

Wet on me - Still the sandalwood, but with a darker almost ozoney smell behind it.

Dry on me - It fades very quickly to a soft creamy musk. I have to admit on me it was a bit meh.

Definitely a strong sandalwood scent, though a lot warmer on me than the white kind. This is woody, warm, and softens continuously as it dries down.

I am really, really torn about this one. It's not really a scent I'd like to smell like, since woody notes aren't my thing, but it's a very comforting scent.

I'll have to try it again. :P

In the bottle: I get a lot of wood, like pencil shavings, and a bit of the much feared red musk.

Wet: The smell all but disappears when it's wet, that's the scent of amber. Then it all comes back slowly, the woody rich... red smell. And a tingly sweet scent that I'm familiar with but can't place. The red musk comes in, but for now it's being good...

Drydown: This is very warm, woody and spicy. I can't believe I'm typing this, but the red musk actually smells nice when it mingles with the rosewood. At first. Then it starts coming out at full blast and becomes obnoxious. There's something powerfully spicy in here, but I can't tell what it is.

Overall: The wood and amber do help tone down the red musk, but unfortunately not enough for the blend to work on me. It's not really masculine, in my opinion, just a very woody blend with some spice and the fearsome red musk. There's part of me that smells the heat of the spice and amber and can just *see* Fenris swallowing the sun. It doesn't make the red musk less funky on me, though. *sigh* I would have loved to love it.

i'm not sure if i reviewed this yet or not but..yeah.

i wore it today for the first time of all-day wear and i LOVE it. its a bit masculine (i tend towards those though) and woodsy, musky, spicy. i keep thinking INCENSE....like incense burning in a dark wood paneled room at night, with warm lighting. very comforting, strog, and adventurous. its like a milder, less sharp version of bloodlust, which i also love. red musk loves my chemistry :P

In the bottle: Unabashedly masculine.

Wet: Kinda red and sweet, but still manly.

Drydown: Ahh! I think it's the woodsy scent that makes me think "manly."

While wearing: Yeah, not exactly my kind of scent. Definitely fits the description, though - feral and warm and red. The amber is nice. But this is woodsy and musky more than anything else. Would be good for a boy! :P

Bottle: sweet wood and amber and musk..oh my!

Wet: add to that the sandalwood - a very warm conspiring of oils.

Dry: sweet, but not grabs-me sweet, and mellow.no one note is fighting its way forward.

Later: sandalwood and musk, warm and round and rawr. this likes me, it really likes me!

Edited by Juniperus Intrepidus

In the bottle: very resinous, sort of sandalwoody

Wet: Very strong! It smells pretty heavy, and more like black musk than red musk. But I love it. It's slightly animalistic, almost to the point where it might start smelling of civet.

Dry: The musk note softens considerably, and the sandalwood comes out strong. As it hangs around, some of the rosewood and amber peek out. All the notes intermingle and provide a warm-reddish-brown fragrance that is just lovely.

If you like resins or heavy musks, you will love this.

I love this one. It smelled very familiar to me at first, and it took me a while to place it: it's kind of similar to a couple of the Commes Des Garcon Red Series I tried: Palisander and Sequoia. Sequoia is supposed to smell like a redwood tree.

But it also hits you with a blast of loveable dirty-hippie, hide-the-bong-smell patchouli. Delish, in my book.

Every time I took a hit of this, I mean a sniff of this, it brought out good, safe feelings. Guess that's the long way of saying it's a comfort scent.

Doesn't seem particularly masculine to me.

Aaargh. I just read the reviews on this, and no patchouli in it? So what was it that I took for patchouli? Maybe the "red musk" what does that smell like?

Oh yeah. Got spicey too later on, too.

Edited by smelly

Oh I LOVES this one! Makes me think of wood (s) and nature, like rain and camping, like when I worked RenFest and the dirt and trees and summer smells, like moss and lichens, very earthy and heady..... very natural and a bit masculine.... I would LOVES me a man wearing this scent!

Fabulous!!!!!

I gift from my Spring Switch Witch lexile! :D

I had this on my wishlist primarily for the red sandalwood and amber. I noticed some passing comments upthread about red sandalwood lending a coconutty tone to the blend, and that is also what I'm getting (though I had it classified more vaguely as "tropical").

This is a changer on me. It starts out sharp and herbal and very "men's cologne". Then there's the tropical sweetness that I'm having trouble placing, but it definitely like something I've tried before (A less fruity Masabakes?)

I am drawn to the incense and woody "aftertaste" but the sweet, plummy top notes are a bit off putting for me. There's also something very neutral and play-doughy in the middle that I'm only picking up on my right wrist. :P

I'd love to attack The Mister with this to see how his skin reacts... though I agree, this is neither masculine nor feminine. It's not androgynous either. It's more hermaphroditic. Intriguing!

In the Imp: Sweetish musk.

Wet: Musky, mossy green with a hint of something dry and woodsy.

Dry: ROSEWOOD! SANDLEWOOD! WOOD! WOOD!

Then later the musk appears, but seemingly only at a distance. When I sniff directly on my wrist I can't really smell the musk, but out away I seem catch snatches of it every once in awhile. Interesting.

Throw: Good throw.

Overall: Great smell for a woodsy scent. I love rosewood so I really had no doubt I'd love this one. :P

I need to test again on how long it lasts since i tried this one at night before going to sleep.

Wolf is one of my totem animals, so I am naturally drawn to all of the wolf scents.

(As a comic book geek, I know that Fenris Wolf isn't, exactly, the totemic variety :P but still, Wolf!)

I fell in love with this immediately, and as I’ve been wearing it today, it may have already become my Favorite.

Imp: Visually, a beautful dark, thick liquid. Aroma is spicy and earthy.

On: Wow, the scent lightens up quite a bit. Reminds me a lot of The Lion, but muskier. Exactly the difference between lying in the sun on the Savannah and snuggling up with one’s family in a den. Lasts nicely, sandalwood moving to the fore, and with the most wonderful wafty throw.

Edited by SultryWolf

This wasn't my Imp, so it'll be a quickie review:

This was the lovechild of Sin and Scherazade on me: earthy, spicy, musky, sexy, with lots of throw and staying power. Normally rosewood goes kind of icky on me, but here I couldn't even detect it. Fenris Wolf is very much in the "sexy scarlet-draped headshop" category of BPAL, and very much merits further investigation-- an Imp of my own, perhaps? Here's to amber, red musk and red sandalwood in perfectly balanced proportion.

When I first applied Fenris Wolf it smelled like thick, sweet resin. The sandalwood came through some and it had a cedary sharpness that made my eyes water a little. After a while it's calmed down to be more powdery and less sharp and sticky. Not for me, but that's more about my personal taste than the perfume itself.

Fenris Wolf is a highly masculine scent. Even before I went back and checked the Lab description I knew this had to have been created as a men’s oil. I don’t know many women who could pull something off that’s this masculine. I don’t think I’d want my man to smell like this, however. I think I’d find him less appealing, although maybe it would work on a different type of man with a different personality. The strongest notes are rosewood and sandalwood and it smells a little dusty to me, too. I don’t really care for this scent. It makes me think of antique dining room furniture or an old Victorian hotel that has a remarkable amount of woodwork collecting dust in the lobby.

In the imp: Rosewood and sandalwood. Yum.

Wet: Spicy, here come the amber and musk!

Dry: Wow. Fabulous. Everything comes together, and it's great.

Very masculine, but oh, I'll wear this myself! I don't think I'll need a bottle, because this is not an everyday kind of scent for me; I'll have to be in a take-no-prisoners mood to pull this one off. :P

This is a lovely frimp from nightbabies, who made me a custom imp box. Buy boxes from her, she is a true artist! So, this shout out is for her! :D

In the bottle: for some reason all the lovely musk, rosewood, sandlewood are registering as dragon's blood. with wood. :P

Wet: still smells like dragon's blood instead of red musk and assorted woods. This isn't a bad thing, as I like this. Dragon's blood works on me sometimes, and others it doesn't. This smells like db that does. :D

Dry down: smells like dragon's blood and pine. This is so wonderful! I don't really get masculine, so much as woodsy. But then again, I like both types of scents on me. I get masculine from "cologne scents" like Dee.

30 minutes: pine and pepper? Still love it. I think I need a bigger bottle. I am one of those women that pull of "masculine" scents. This is wonderful.

Conclusion: eventually the rosewood and sandalwood are all that remain, and they still regitster as dragon's blood. :D In fact it lasted until the next morning.

Rating 1-5, on my skin this is a 4.

Imp: This is a dark red scent in the vial and by scent! The rosewood and the amber give a sweet cherry edge to this masculine scent.

Wet: The red musk and red sandalwood are in the forefront, the rosewood disappeared a bit. It seems odd and decay-like. The amber turns to powder, like usual, changing the scent for me.

Dry: It's powdery and spicy and manly in a BIG way. On my, it smells like man musk.

Category: Manly/Spicy Musk

Rating: 2/5; spicy sandalwood cherry manliness

Overall: I love it on the boy, but it smells too much like deodorant on me. I love the Fenris Wolf idea, but it doesn't smell good on me. Chaos magick could work well with this scent, though :P

In the imp: Red musk and a tiny hint of floral. I got quite a few blends containing red musk in my order, and I've discovered that I love it!

Wet: Red musk over sandalwood. A touch of pine? There's slight sharpness to this, possibly the sandalwood. It's definitely masculine, but that's a very good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Drydown: The sharpness disappears quite quickly. This is reminding me lot of Schezerade but darker and with less spices, no doubt that's the red musk. A bit incensey, but mainly deep woods and musk. And is that a hint of patchouli?

Dry: Mmm this is good. Has barely changed at all except to lighten a little and become a little spicy. In it's end stages it is very like Schezerade on me.

Medium last, but with a lot of throw. I put one drop on and it was wafting around my head in clouds!

I like this a lot, but it reminds me of Schezerade too much to get a bottle. However I will be keeping the imp and testing it on my partner!

hm, this reminds me a lot of sin, and i guess they have some of the same notes but sin is spicier. smells like a warm spicy somewhat woody musky scent with amber. i like it ok, but don't love it.

Fenris Wolf

in imp: sandalwood

wet: faint sandalwood

dry: dusty sandalwood and amber

verdict: too dusty for me...I'll give this to my husband to try

there's something i just can't place with this. something different than my other favorites...dorian, titus andronicus, vicomte de valmont, and death on a pale horse. very woodsy, and lasts for a long time. lots of "what is that?" alas...a bottle is on the way.

ADDED Nov. 15:

yes woody and spicy indeed. lots of compliments...and what it that? in a pleasant way.

ADDED Dec. 11:

it just hit me....there is a note in it when wet that reminds me of a box of new pencils. strange. is that the rosewood?