Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Tears

Bittersweet yet powerful: salty aquatic notes and bursting with dragon's blood.

In the Imp (wet): The first whiff is sticky sweetness. The aquatic note is not as sharp as Dirty or R'Lyeh

On me: Jasmine. The sweetness reminds me of thick bushes of jasmine in full bloom, a scent I've associated with church novenas and women would offer up thick rope garlands of the flower to the Madonna. The salty twang doesn't show up on me until after 15mins and reminds me of the open ocean on a cloudy day. I am actually relishing this one, for the memories it invokes of these childhood spiritual experiences. This is definitely I can see myself wearing on a daily basis.

Newbie review here! take that into consideration (aka sometimes I have no clue what I'm smelling ;) )

Wet: floral. Where did these flowers come from? Or should I say flower- it's one note, but I'm not sure what it is, other than it's a white flower. White flowers usually go haywire on me, except for...

Dry: lilies. That must be what it is. It's faint and slightly watery now, a good everyday floral scent. Definitely lasts for hours, with a good throw (not too overpowering).

Conclusion: I'm not a huge fan of florals, but this one is ok. It doesn't make me cringe like so many of the stronger florals, but I think it's too light and innocent for me to wear on a regular basis. Kinda sad that the salty aquatic notes were missing for me, but it still smells pretty :D

This smells so not like what it looks like..

Imp: Aquatic. Salty and soapy. Yes, soapy and floral. A bit fruity, too.. like fresh green mango or something else juicy and exotic that clashes yet harmonizes well with the aquatic note.

Wet: Still soapy. Like a sweet men's aftershave. But.. with a floral/fruity twist.

Dry: Something like rose is getting through.. I cannot tell many flowers apart, so it could be gardenia or anything else that's similar. So.. it's like you mixed a lady soap (rose or magnolia) with a men's cologne. Smells a bit like old lady - but in a good, comforting way.

Edited by Honey

Bottom line, it's way too sweet on me - the dragon's blood amps to the high heavens; but I am so in awe of how Beth comes up with a true, nailed-it salty aquatic. It's definitely there as an undercurrent, it doesn't make me sick to my stomach, as some aquatics do, and, if it were just a bit stronger and the dragon's blood just a bit weaker, this would be top 10 material.

It's brilliant in terms of being a scent creation that embodies the visual of dragon tears. If dragons existed and they cried, I do believe this is what their tears would smell like. So bravo for that achievement.

I got it as an imp and I would consider ordering a bottle sometime. It would be a great scent to turn to for some diversity from many of the others I have used.

Straight out of the imp (I should say frimp -- thank you, BPAL!), this shocked me with its loveliness. It was a burst of aquatic lily and jasmine. Gorgeous and compelling. It also tugged at my memory. I've worn something like this in the past. Maybe CK's Escape?

Then my body chemistry got hold of the dragon's blood, which, apparently, it doesn't get along with. :rantrave: By one hour later, all I had was metallic, powdery cherries.

I was curious about what dragon's blood smells like, and was happy to see this frimped in my ebay order.

In the imp: Jasmine. And/or maybe Ylang Ylang? I had an air freshener sponge in a tin that smelt exactly like this, and I think it was Ylang Ylang. I really loved smelling the tin at first but I guess I overdid it and grew to dislike it. The salty aquatic notes are weird to my nose.

On skin: The jasmine amps and turns a bit sweeter. It also turns soapy, and I can't decide if its ok or not. As it dries a bit of spiciness comes out which I'm guess is the dragon's blood.

Verdict: I really cannot decide if I like this :blink:

It's sort of nostalgic for me when I went through a jasmine phase as a teen, but I also sort of fell out of love with Jasmine. Need to test again before I get rid of the imp.

Edited by Drae

:::DRAGON'S TEARS:::

This potent punch of fascinium got included as frimpage in this year's order of Halloweenies. As much as Dragon's Blood is virtually worshipped in these parts, Dragon's Tears has just been one of those formulas that oft gets overlooked during the excitement of the odering period when the embodiment of predatory hedonism is all the rage.

Dragon's Tears is a gemstone coloured eyeball tickler of an oil much the same as most of those that ebb from the Daemonorops persuasion. Flicking open the Imp is immediate gratification; rewarding the reveler with resplendant redolences. There is an almost extra-sensory shift of the equilibrium. You now enter the realm of alternate dimensions, of spirit, of the supernatural. There is no mistaking the sacredness of Dragon's Blood. An element of excitement has been included with the addition of a marine quality Ozonic.

On the skin this just continues to amp. This formula peaks quickly; becoming eye-watering and almost palpable at around the three minute mark. It mellows again a few moments later, but mingles exquisitely with natural body heat. This has unparalelled staying power; being just as noticeable the following morning as it was twenty minutes after the application.

Dragon's Tears is a must. Exotic and incomparably sexy on Him or Her. 5 out of ever lovin' 5.

I received this as a frimp. I hate dragon's blood and I really don't like aquatics, so... this is absolute death in a bottle for me. It smells horrendous. Maybe some poor soul will love it...

Wet - very clean aquatic smell

Drydown - amazing! It's defintely an aquatic scent. It's like sitting on the beach being splashed with sea spray during a tropical rainstorm. It's fresh, crisp, aquatic and a little green. This is not usually a scent I would go for but Im absolutely loving this one and will probably order a big bottle someday soon.

Frimp from the lab.

In the imp: Floral soap.

On wet: Floral soap.

Drydown: Salty flowers.

The salty aquatic note is very apparent after drying, but the dragon's blood smells like strong white florals on me - not really my thing, but a very interesting scent.

In the bottle: Very heady florals. Smells like jasmine to me.

Wet on skin: Definitely jasmine and something a little soapy.

Dry down: Now I'm picking up a smell like sunscreen with the jasmine, and something like an ocean breeze over grass-covered sand dunes faint in the background. About twenty minutes later and it definitely smells like someone applying jasmine scented sunscreen at an ocean beach. Not at all what I was expecting from the description but pleasant none the less.

In the Bottle: Defiantly salty sweet. Really aquatic- but you know, that's what it is! ;)

Wet: Holy aquatics! It's still sweet. But you can smell the saltiness. It's like Marshmallow Fluff spread over Saltines! Nom! :yum:

Drydown: The dragon's blood is pretty much gone now. It's turned into a floral aquatic? Like it has water lilies in it, but without it being water lily. Really beautiful. That being said, I don't think that I will ever be wearing this, despite being a water loving person. But, I'm not going to wash off the test strip, either!

5/5

In the imp...lovely bright dragons blood, bright and red...tinged with something salty, wet, less bright than others in the draconis line.

On wet...the brightness of the dragons blood is lovely as always, but tinged with an aquatic note that is difficult to describe. It's almost dragons blood watered down with ocean water.

Dry down...much the same, so far little morphing. Normally dragons blood scents smell red to me, but this smells almost purple, if that makes sense. I very much like it, but I love most dragons blood scents. This won't overtake Milk or Reverie as my fave in the line, but I'm very happy for the imp and it will get used!!

gain, wrote this before reading the notes for more nose training and I was pretty spot on. Now that it has dried down some more some bitterness rears its head, balancing the dragons bloods brightness. I love this and if I didnt already have too many bottles I'd get one!

It reminds me of a sweet blue perfume I remember having once many xmases ago, lovely memory. I don't get any dragon's blood coming to the fore though, the sweet oceanic spray dominates. I'm glad it helped me resurrect this ancient perfume's memory, maybe I'll keep it in mind for bottle worthiness.

In the imp: A sweet scent, but not overpoweringly so. It reminds me of a cross between jasmine and watermelon. It definitely has an aquatic quality to it.

Wet on skin: Same. Well, I'm not thinking of watermelon anymore. Definitely salty, and watery, but there's still a sweetness to it - which is probably the dragon's blood. I like this a lot.

Dried down: Same.

Throw: I can smell it as I type, but it's not a heavy throw. This is very pleasant and light.

Verdict: ***** I actually really, really love this! It's very different than most of my favorite scents so far, but I think it's earned a place among them. Once I start ordering GC bottles regularly, I think this one will be in there.

I bought this about six months ago, didn't like it at first, but just pulled it out for a second try.

Out of the vial and wet on the skin, it's soapy and floral (jasmine?) with a slight salty aquatic background.

As it dries, it gets a little less soapy and more mellow - almost woody on me. Most of the aquatic background fades as well. The soapiness isn't unpleasant, just... eh. I think I should stay away from dragon's blood from now on, since I usually love aquatics and this is not a standout for me. i'll wear it a few times til the imp runs out and then forget about it.

Wet: I'm not a huge fan of Dragon's Blood, seeing as it tends to go very floral, but Beth's has one of the best DB accords out there. Wet, this is all Dragon's Blood with a very sharp, slightly rose-like salty note to it.

Drying/Dry: The only real indication of the salt is the way it tickles in my nose. it's very headshoppy. While I don't think the scent is awful, I can't see myself wearing it because it's so floral. I'll age the imp to see if the salt comes out a bit more before swapping it though.

• ITI: Dragon's blood resin and salt. The salt note is rather distinct, but it actually tempers the resin, which can be quite overpowering at times.

Wet: It's interesting. Usually, I'm not a fan of aquatics in the least. The aquatics here are similar to water lilies rather than brackish aquatic notes I've smelled in the past. The salt still soothes the raging dragon's blood to create something that is both wonderfully resinous, smoldering, but at the same time, soothing and reflective.

Dry: It ends up drying down to just soap, like the soap presented to you in generic gift baskets. Aww, I really wanted to like this one. Sadly, into the swap pile it goes.

As usual with dragon's blood, I get a bizarre blend of deep red and pale purple notes. Overwhelming, and not especially pleasant. The salty tang shows up in about 30 minutes, giving me hope, but that fades and all I'm left with is a faintly soapy scent. It's not the oil, it's me...

This was a lab frimp that I got a couple of months ago and was happy to test, as I'm still not sure how I feel about dragon's blood. In Dragon's Milk it works pretty well with the honeyed vanilla, but Dragon's Musk goes weirdly salty even though I don't think there's anything in the description indicating it should be that way.

Dragon's Tears screams its presence on my skin and makes me think of pink flowers by the ocean. As wonderful as that would be for some people, it's almost exactly the antithesis of the scents I like. There aren't many florals I can wear, and aquatics are aggressively wrong for me. At least it doesn't seem to be a migraine trigger, which is better than I can say for a lot of the other aquatics I've tried. You may wonder why I even tested it, but I like to try all the frimps I get because I've been wrong about note combinations before. Unfortunately I ended up washing Dragon's Tears off because I wasn't enjoying it. I wanted it to work because I like dragons and the concept really appeals to me, but I just don't think dragon's blood is one of my good notes.

My husband thinks it smells like "scented soap." For reference, there's a lot of stuff he can't smell because of sinus problems but he likes dark, sweet, resinous or woody scents on me.

I think I might only like dragon's blood in Dragon's Milk. It really needs something sweet to make it work for my nose or for my skin chemistry.

In the imp: More tears than dragon's blood.

Wet: The salty aquatic note dominates, but the spicy floral/cherry aspect of the dragon's blood isn't far behind. Like most aquatic notes on my skin, this salty aquatic note has a soapy quality to it.

Dry: A salty aquatic with a hint of dragon's blood.

Verdict: Like most aquatics, this is just not for me.

In the imp: Surprisingly jasmine-domiant. WTF? Like, I can smell a subtle hint of dragon's blood (and dragon's blood has never been a subtle or hinting scent to me), and maaaaaaybe some salty aqueous-ness, but mostly, that's some jasmine right there.

Wet: Quickly settles down into a heavy, wet floral, with the saltiness emerging more and more over time. From afar, I'm still getting mainly jasmine, but up close, the saltiness is more apparent.

Dry: Soap, as aquatics tend to go on my skin. Nice floral soap, but soap nonetheless. There's a hint of warmer, sweeter dragon's blood towards the very end.

Really pretty. Soft, powdery aquatic notes over equally delicate, almost floral but warm dragon's blood. Previous reviewer's mention of jasmine is on-point.