Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Tears

Bittersweet yet powerful: salty aquatic notes and bursting with dragon's blood.

In the imp: red. Why do I always expect these to smell like cinnamon.
Wet: salty floral.
Drydown: laundry soap. Arrrrgh. It is the Laundry Soap of Death!

This is sooo not going to work on me. Sigh.

in the imp: yep. salt water and dragon's blood.

wet on skin: dragon's blood in the lead, salt playing a distant second.

dry down: total dragon's blood. the salt completely disappears on me. which is fine, because the wet made me want to just go wear some Dragon's Blood, and now the dry down has done it.

in all: i'll be sticking to the original, personally.

ADDED Aug. 31:

in the imp: yup- dragon's blood and something aquatic.

wet on skin: same.

dry down: same.

in all: not my favorite of the DB oils, but certainly not terrible or anything. if you like aqua notes, and you like DB, then certainly get this- you will not be disappointed.

:P

In the imp: Bitter, salty.

Wet: Still salty, but floral coming through.

Dry: Whiterosepetals said it and I agree- I smell like a plumeria lei on a Hawaiian beach. Not bad. Not bad at all.

In Vial: sweet and tangy

Wet:Nice, smells like a pretty, not-so-average floral. This is only my second dragon's blood scent to try. I think it is an unusual scent. It is very different and adds a hint of the exotic to whatever is it blended.

Drydown: Nice, sweet, tangy. Remains pretty much the same as when wet, but more mellow.

Oooh I like this blend.

On me, its a lot less resiny than regular Dragon's Blood, and a whole lot more salty florals. The Dragon is still in there though. As time goes on, it smells almost...melony. Odd. But nice!

In Imp: Floral and dragon's blood.

Wet: Gorgeous, gorgeous! Gorgeous, gorgeous. Floral with undercurrent of dragon's blood and sandalwood?

Dry: Salty undercurrents are surfacing, florals are receeding. The dragon's blood with salt and sandalwood (I think) are amazing together.

Verdict: This is a lovely ozoney, salty soapy smell, the dragon's blood preventing it becoming too fresh and warming it.

Marks out of 10: 8

In bottle: Dragon’s blood predominant. The ocean bit breaks down into something flowery. Wet: So flowery,. Goes vaguely aquatic given time. Dry: Much the same, only soft.

Many reviewers mention something flowery about this but to me it was just salty dragon's blood with maybe a hint of ozone. But really salty. The only other thing I have tried that was as salty as this was Penthus. Amazing, actually, but I ended up swapping it because I would not wear it. It went to a very loving home though :P

I was expecting this to be really, er, Dragon's Bloody. But it's not...it's a lightly spiced scent, with just a hint of the Dragon's Blood. Spiciness, with just a hint aquatic perfuminess beneath it.

The dragon's blood in thsi blend goes a bit floral on me and I've come to realise that dragon blood has a slight powdery, baby powder scent on me. This smells a lot like how Pool of Tears smelt on me....and has a sunscreen smell to it. I really had high hopes for this blend but...alas, that sunscreen smell is intolerable for me.

In the bottle: Light cherry-red coloured oil. Fruity, floral, salty-aquatic. Jasmine gives it a bit of soapiness. Sort of an artificial cherry note.

Wet: Softer, spicier, less artificially sweet, but still soapy-jasmine.

Dry/Summary: Soapy LILAC and jasmine and cloying sweet resin. I love lilac, but this was far too a strongly soapy blend - had to wash off.

Sigh, jasmine and salty aquatics are frequently so cruel to me. And lilac, I want you. But in a blend that works on me. :P

Initial thoughts: Hmmm... ozone doesn't work on me, but aquatic does. I think. Dragon's blood doesn't really seem to make much of an impact on me, except when it does and then it smells like artificial cherry syrup. Hmm. I'm not expecting the world from this, as you can probably imagine.

In the imp: A salty cherry-floral. Bittersweet is the right description.

On the wrist, wet: Ocean aquatic, with the heady, almost floral dragon's blood resin. It's behaving less cherry than it usual does. This is actually a rather mournful scent.

Twenty minutes later: This is a very low key scent - the more floral aspects of dragon's blood with a very salty kick. It's more than mournful, actually - it's downright miserable.

Verdict: Nice, but not my bag.

Tl;Dr: Subtle, mournful, salty dragon's blood.

Imp: The usual spicy cherry-lilac I get from dragon's blood and something else very faint that I can't really decipher.

Wet: The first time I remember smelling the ocean I was at White Rock in British Columbia and it was low tide. I was about seven or so and I remember thinking "Ew, why do people like the smell of the ocean?" The aquatics in this smell EXACTLY like White Rock at low tide on my skin. It's really gross, actually, but I stick it out because I can smell the dragon's blood starting to develop.

Dry: The dragon's blood strengthens up and is the dominant scent. But there's still this undercurrent of eau de White Rock and it is not my bag. The longer this dries down the more it melds together and creates this gross rotting-florals-at-low-tide scent.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: I thought it was kind of an interesting combo but it didn't work out for me. Luckily there are many more lovelies to be discovered in the Arc Draconis line.

In the vial: Smells like lilacs or wisteria to me.

Wet: Even stronger floral now, very lilac-y.

Half an hour: Okay, it sort of does smell salty. But there's also the floral. It smells sort of dusty, or powdery.

One hour: Less salty and dusty now, but still very lilac.

Two hours: The floral has faded some, leaving that salty flavor in command.

Three hours: More floral than salty, but it smells a little bit like neroli now.

Four hours: Mostly over.

I preferred the lilac note in "The Maltese Cross of Sanctus Germanus."

This to me is yes...quite simply alot of dragons blood, as it usually is in dragon's blood blends. But it's a fresher, possibly lighter version.

This one is not very different from the actual Dragon's Blood oil. It's just a bit cleaner and less floral if that makes any sense! It's Dragon's Blood plus the sea.

It will still never be as nice as Dragon's Milk..now that is sex in a bottle :D

And..for my own little self happy, I've nearly tried all of the Ars Draconis oils now.. :P

ETA the little yay smiley..(I'm such a geek)

Edited by ouch!

In the vial: An unusual combination of salt and flowers with a distinct bitter edge.

On me: The dragon's blood blossoms, quite literally—DBR is usually fruity on my skin, but here it's distinctly floral. They're mixed unidentifiable flowers, and they're predominant. Behind that, discernible but definitely second chair, is a salty aquatic. The aquatic isn't as bitter as the vial scent, and it's weak compared to the florals. The scent remains the same, but the throw morphs: it starts gentle, grows a healthy distance within twenty minutes, and dies to skin level within an hour. At an hour and a half, the scent is all but gone.

Verdict: I usually adore dragon's blood resin, but it's usually fruity and resinous on my skin. The pure florals here aren't my style. While I've been looking for a salty aquaticand this is the truest I've found so farin combination with florals it evokes a humid tropical atmosphere, and that's most definitely not my style. Plus, the wear length is just over an hour. I think I'll have to pass this one on.

Imp: softened Dragon’s blood

Wet on Me: softened Dragon’s Blood and something

more That wants to come out.

Drying Down: The aquatics really help soften the

dragon’s blood.

Dry: powdery soft dragon’s blood. Keeping the imp..

don’t need a bottle

In The Bottle

Woderfully salty and I can smell the Dragon's Blood which doesn't normally behave for me

On Application

Wow, extremely salty. It is delightful. The Dragon's Blood is less cloying than normal.

Dry Down

I am really loving this. Whatever is in the Dragon's Blood that I normally hate (jasmine or ylang ylang?) is really understated in this blend. I am also loving the salty aquatic element. By far the best of the dragons so far.

Rating (0-5)

... A pale floral? Huh? I don't get dragon or tears out of this. It's a pale floral, slightly soapy, but I'm starting to get a hint of lilac, which is odder still. Not even close to the aquatic I was hoping for, but I might have to try this again when I'm in a lilac frame of mind.

In the bottle it is a strong fragrence, smells strongly like this one perfume my mom got in a gift set once that had a white 4 petal sculpted flower for a stopper and little matching hand soaps, (came in a round metallic paisley gift box)...i'll have to check with her for the name of it, but from memory the two smell strongly related...

For me, the dragon element in Dragon's Tears goes odd on my skin, it is almost a feather-light ghost immersed in the Other elements. When i say odd, it turns very amber/resin powder on me, but not the with the feel that dragon's blood normally does, instead of the warm resin sense one gets with dragon's blood, this is colder, like an ice bath...Ice dragon perhaps? I definatly want to put a white flower in the mix, like maybe gardenia or water lilly.... I can't put my finger on exactly what the other notes are, but it is still a nice blend.

might make an interresting candle or bath oil.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who finds this scent familiar despite never smelling it before. :P It actually reminds me of my grandmother's house and visiting the beach -- this is totally a salty beach towel laying in the sun. I'm not so good at picking out notes but the one I do recognize is salt. Plus... something extra... Either it's so faint I don't notice it now or it wears off earlier than the others. This pretty much dries down without changing; it does get a little closer to the skin and a little more "liquid." I've been told that it smells like "Rachel Ever-So-Much-More-So." I rather like the sound of that. :D

I use this when I want: a subtle, sweet, watery scent. Very nice and light enough to use every day. <3

ETA: Just popping in to say that a year of aging has dramatically increased the throw of this perfume, but the scent remains unchanged. Good news all around!

Edited by NightingaleRB

This was a lab frimp-I would not have ever picked this out for me. I'm not a huge Dragon's Blood fan and salty aquatic notes have yet to work on me! So testing this should be an adventure!

In the imp this is Dragon's Blood with a hint of aquatics-the salt/aquatics aren't as strong as I expected, though they tend to amp on my skin...

Ehhhhh on my skin that salty aquatic-ness just jumps out at me-very noticeable over the Dragon's Blood.

Meh-salty aquatic floral-if you like salty aquatics and Dragon's blood then check this one out, it's pretty much as described!

Wet: Watered down dragon's blood.

First on: Like a dragon just dragged its ass out of the ocean. Eh.

Dry: Unchanged. Not a huge fan. Something about the salt is making the dragon's blood smell off.