Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Bone

The dry, thin scent of a draconic ossuary. Dragon's blood resin with white sandalwood, dusty orris and crisp blondewood.

Blech. The sandalwood in this just killed it for me. Not a fan of wood.

I received this as a free imp with one of my orders. I always assumed dragon's blood scents were very heavy and bloody, but never had actually tried them myself.

In the imp: Warm and fruity. I can smell berries, which I assume is the dragon's blood. The sandalwood is only a light note in the imp.

On skin wet: Ooooh, the white sandalwood really blooms as does the iris. It is a very dry scent, like dried sandalwood chips and flowers. The berry note I smelled earlier isn't as strong as anticipated.

Dry: The bone element of this oil is very prominent. The dry, bone-like white sandalwood continues to be gorgeous and the dragon's blood note offers just a tinge of warmth.

I can still smell this on myself well into the evening when I applied in the morning.

It's so different than the other BPAL scents I love, but might end of ordering this one in a 5ml...

This goes on me smelling a little scorched--wow, I can definitely smell the dried woods in it!

After a while, it becomes oddly floral, with woods added, but after that all other scents go away and it's a one-note dry wood scent. Smells like bleached dragon bones.

Recaplet: Dry, dry woods and nothing else…

My rating: 2 of 5 (Meh.)

Color Impression: The white of driftwood.

In the bottle – Something quite sharp and chemical, I can only assume that it’s the blonde wood

Wet on me – Dry, slightly sharp sandalwood with a hint of the Dragon’s Blood Resin in the background

Dry on me – Dry woods, which disappear quickly

Overall – A bit neither here nor there on me

This started like a nice floral (I was begining to get jasmine) and went all orris soapy. :(

No sandalwood, orris is a death note for me and it kills everything.

Instant love. However, this reminds me almost exactly of Dragon's Claw (of which I have a bottle). Put Dragon's Claw on the other wrist and can hardly tell the difference.

This is what I want my skin to naturally smell like.

Imp: Very dry pale scent

Wet: The really pale notes are much improved by the DBR. Makes it a bit sweet on top of the dryness

Drydown: Dried out Dragon's Blood.

Overall: Needs another test, but it was interesting.

This is stunning from imp to wet to drydown.

It doesnt morph at all, its just a light dragons blood with a bit of sandalwood, I get the "dry feeling" from it and like it better than the juicy in your face dragons blood blends.

This has a bit of waft to it, no need for me to wave my arm around for it to drift to my nose...maybe I need to try out more of the dragons blood, this is definately beautiful.

Dry dry dry. I definitely get the same, piercingly sharp orris note combined with spicy dragon's blood.

Yeah. Not my type of blend at all. :lol:

Oh my...wet, this is very dry and medicinal. The orris fades in and out with the sandalwood. The sharpness abates turning into a creamy orris. Very different from any of the Ars Draconis blends. This one could work for me. It reminds me a bit of Bony Moon.

Very dry and clean smelling over the almost sweet dragon's blood, and then a powdery floral comes in. It smells like a sweet, dry flower (orris?). Not bad but a little too generic for me.

I'm getting mostly orris and sandlewood, with a wisp of fruity dragon's blood. It's okay, but I'd rather have MORE dragon's blood..I wonder if that note would become more prominent with age..

oh, this is just beautiful. sweet and dusty, but tempered by something old and sacred.

i love it. just like that. ♥.

Got this is a frimp but it broke in half during shipping, I only managed to save half an imp and now everything smells like sandalwood :P Fingers, papers, desk, sandalwood everywhere.

A very pale, translucent red in the imp, beautiful colour, possibly the prettiest I've seen in an oil so far - this is completely besides all possible points, but I couldn't help point it out.

I've honestly never tried dragon's blood before and I'm not sure if I detect something here, it's mostly sandalwood and dust, which is a very nice, light smell, though it fades quickly. It's a very cold and quiet scent. I like it, but I don't think I'd buy a bottle, it's too much of a one-note on me without much staying power. For the time it's on, though, it's very nice.

This scent was straight up pure love within seconds of touching my skin.

Bottlesniff Wood with a hint of floral.

Wet On Skin Very dry with a high wood note, powerful and I'm loving it.

Drydown This softens very quickly and the orris morphs more into a floral smell although the crisp woods maintain an astringent note. It's an ethereal scent on me that is both sweet, dry and astringent all at once. As it ages on my skin it morphs a lot and I get dry woods and oddly an aquatic note wafting up every now and again. Pure and beautiful scent that makes me want to bathe in it. If I could smell like this everyday I would be in heaven. It does have a slight tendency to just hint at soapiness every now and again without ever going there fully. I don't mind that and it's something I do get from all bulb flowers anyway, it must come from the orris. This is a skin scent for me, and it's very feminine. I adore it though.

I think I may just end up buying the entire Ars Draconis line.

Edited by HamletsKeeper

I'm not normally fond of dragon's-blood blends, but Dragon's Hide surprised me, so I'll try this one and see.

In the imp and fresh on: Vaguely medicinal, almost a cough-syrup smell.

Drydown: Medicinal smell intensifies.

Long-term: Everything fades but the sandalwood, and occasional whiffs of something that smells like fresh sweat. Staying power average, nearly gone after 10 hours.

Bottom line: Swap pile.

Frimp in one of my orders.

Very interesting and truly evokes its namesake! As I was testing this oil, the words "pale" and "dry" kept popping up in my head. I wasn't sure how you could go about imitating bone, but the lab has pulled it off. In the vial, I smell wood with a touch of floral. It's not a big creamy floral or something bright and cheerful. This is, for lack of a better description, a desolate floral. Like the one single bloom that remains after a fire or nuclear blast. Wet, the sandalwood emerges and this turns into a very dry blend. During the drydown, I get primarily wood and resin; the blend remains that way once dry. I imagine bleached wood and dry desert sands when smelling this.

I like Dragon's Bone because of the images it conjures, and it is very nice, but I doubt I'll wear it all that much.

In the imp, I'm getting the dragon's blood and the sandal and blonde wood. Very pale. We'll see what happens. On my skin, I'm getting the sandal and blonde wood, with the dragon's blood playing a minor role. We'll see how this goes. Ends up being pale, dry, and woody. Not something I'm really interested in.

Edited by Venneh

Dragon's blood is interesting to me because I get non-skunking jasmine out of it. Wet, that's all I'm getting out of Dragon's Bone. As it dries, I get warm, dusty woods, but on my skin the dragon's blood stays too present and it's just too sweet to be something I would wear.

Anything with Dragon's blood in it is straight up lily on me. I never get anything else out of it. Dragon's MIlk is probably the only one that actually had another note in it. This one is taking the route of ever other scent in the dragon line.

Sniffed: Dry dragon's blood and prominent woods.

On skin: Wet on skin, this is predominantly dry, austere woods; the dragon's blood is very discreet, and there's a ghost of unfamiliar sweetness that must be the orris. Throughout drydown is a tug-of-war between the prominent woods and the bright, soft sweetness of orris and dragon's blood, but the woods end up winning. The other notes morph in and out, and the blend occasionally becomes a really lovely mix of sweet spice and dry woods. But overall, Dragon's Bone is purely woody and I'm not fond of it.

Verdict: I discovered through Dragon's Bone that while I adore sandalwood (and most woods) in more complex blends, I don't like it by itself. For swaps.

Oh my god I love this scent so much. I figured I would since I love wood and dragon's blood resin. When I put it on, I immediately get a big ol' whiff of wood. It's a little like when you walk into the lumber section of a hardware store, which happens to be one of my favorite smells in the world.

On the drydown, the wood fades into the background and something like a lily steps to the front. A while later, the lily is joined by something like cherry that I can only just barely smell in the back of my nose.

If you're not into "dry" scents or wood notes, you might want to avoid this one. "Dry" and wood happen to be some of my favorite things, so I find this scent incredibly pleasant.

This review is from 2005; apparently I didn't post it back then!

In the Vial: This is dragon's blood like I've never smelled before (then again, I'm only just starting to work my way through Beth's dragon's blood blends). It's dry and flat, and nowhere near as strong as dragon's blood usually is to my nose. Not quite the sort of dragon's blood I moan over, but it's definitely nice!

Wet: Very woodsy, with the dragon's blood peeking out to make it seem like an evil forest. I'm also getting a very fruity scent from this, though that must just be the dragon's blood. I'm not sure whether I like this or not. On one sniff I'm convinced I do, but then the next sniff makes me fall back into uncertainty.

Dry: More of a true dragon's blood scent works its way out, which I'm thrilled about, because I adore dragon's blood. The dry woods are no longer predominant but create a lovely backdrop for the dragon's blood, keeping it from being too strong or wet.

An Hour Later: N/A

Overall: Nice, as all Ars Draconis blends have been on me, but probably my least favorite yet. I will probably swap this one, not because I don't like it, but because I have many other dragon's blood blends that I would rather wear.