Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Bone

The dry, thin scent of a draconic ossuary. Dragon's blood resin with white sandalwood, dusty orris and crisp blondewood.

This is a fascinating blend, sweet and dry. On first sniff, it strikes me as juicy, but then something like dust gathers in the back of my throat. The dragon's blood is sweet and potent, but it's consistently leached dry by the woods.

The blend reminds me of the desert, a constant tug-of-war between greenery and the sun, when every plant is bright, even as the air bakes around you. I'm really impressed by how very dry this blend is, but it's not really something I'd wear as a perfume. Edited by Shollin

I got a frimp of this in one of my orders a while back, and really never intended to try it because none of the notes spoke to me. Sandalwood love my skin, but my skin doesn't love it back, wood scents tend to be very prone to a miss, as can orris, and I didn't have any experience with dragon's blood. So I tried this on when I was sick and couldn't smell much, just to say I had tried it, and it wasn't bad. I put it on again this afternoon, and I have been pleasantly surprised. Yes, it is dry, but also...... sweet? The sandalwood hasn't gone crazy on my skin, and the wood is nice. I don't know that I would order this, but I'm very glad I got to try it. Maybe I'll give some of the other Ars Draconis scents a chance now.

Wet on me: Very warm and dry scent. Dusty even. Dragon's blood a dominant note.

Drydown: Sweet and potent floral with the woods rounding out the blend.

I've tried a couple of the Ars Draconis scents, both of them smelled great on me. And I'm finding that Dragon's Bone is no exception.

Edited by mandragora

I've had very limited experience with dragon's blood resin, but I like it enough by itself that I'm willing to try blends, though not very many of them have worked on me, unfortunately. Dragon's Bone, in the vial, smells like a hotel hallway: cleaning fluids, vacuumed carpets, and flowers in vases all along the hall to make it look nice.

On me, it quickly becomes very empty and dry - a soft floral, but an empty one that picks up on the woods. I'm impressed at how dry and hollow the scent is. I just don't think I'd wear it. 6.5/10.

whoa

this might actually be my favorite dragon so far :P, *thinks ... ooh have i smelled them all now? . . . ah nope i still need to smell tears*, for i think that this might lack that thing i (depressingly enough) don't like about the bpal dragon's bloods (the odd yucky cough syrup.esque thing)... at least the most. (with milk coming up as my next fav... though i don't even consider wearing the others...)

actually, i don't really like the others enough to wear and i think i'd wear this.

only tried this on my fingertips though and after i already tried a couple new imps on the same arm so they could all be blending a bit... sensory overload = a good thing tonight

yes, i am excited to try this on its own after the clean slate that is aka a shower.

wee

(more to come)

:music_ alecempire<intelligence&sacrifice>:

:drink_ herbaltea<paud'arco&burdockroot>:

Edited by marzstar

I like dragon's blood a lot, and I also like sandalwood and orris. I figured I would like this blend, and I do. It smells exactly like I expected it to -- sweet and dry. Actually, it reminds me more of traditional perfumes than most BPAL oils do.

It's not going to bump Dragon's Musk from its position as my favorite Ars Draconis blend, but it's a good one nonetheless.

Wet the dragon's blood is quite strong. Dry it's very woody and dry, the dragon's blood is very faint. Overall it's a very strong scent and doesn't fade very quickly.

Scent in bottle: Dragon's blood and sandalwood. My skin's been really amplifying sandalwood lately, so hopefully the dragon's blood can tame it a little.

Scent on me:

Wet -- I am Sandalwood, hear me roar!. But the dragon's blood adds a sweetness to it that keeps it from going dry and harsh.

Dry -- The sweetness has almost vanished, leaving dry woods and a hint of resin.

Conclusion: Very well named, and it's a nice scent, but it's still mostly sandalwood on me. I'll test it against the other sandalwood things I have and see which of them I want to keep.

I'm sure I have already smelled this scent...it reminds me of an old closet, or it was a seamstress lab. it's surely "dry", as dried flowers in a wooden closet. It smells dry wood, dried flowers and old fabrics...and it's definitely "ossuary", it it makes any sense!:P It's 3am now, I put it on my wrist yesterday at 3pm and I can still smell it, very faintly, and I've washed my hands several times! It may be also a masculine scent....for a warm loving man who doesn't like stuff like vetiver, musk, "green" scents!

The dragon's blood resin is very sweet but it is well-rounded with the sandalwood. The orris is rather nice in this, making the scent light in relation to the sandalwood's richness and the sweetness of the resin. This is incredibly rich and I am enjoying it more and more as I wear it. This is my first scent with dragon's blood resin and I am very impressed.

In the imp, I can smell the dragon’s blood most strongly of any of the notes. Once applied, the dragon’s blood remains a dominant note, seconded by the iris-like orris. I’m not getting any sandalwood or blondwood (not sure how that should smell but I can imagine), but I think they may be providing a base to the orris and dragon’s blood.

This is a dry, dusty scent due to the orris. I’m sure that the sandalwood contributes to this feeling as well. I usually find dragon’s blood to be fairly succulant so the orris and sandalwood combination must be stronger than I had originally thought. It’s interesting, as the scent wears on it smells similar to sarsaparilla or something vaguely rootbeer-like. This doesn’t last too long but it was completely unexpected! After it’s been on a while, the orris remains the dominant note. I like it but I think that my imp is just right.

Another one I don't know how to describe.

Wet, it's slightly nostalgic.

Dry, it smells like jasmine, which always goes soapy and harsh on me.

It's not working very well, which is too bad, I suppose, because I really love the color.

In the Imp: Flowery and spicey, but not a sharp kind of spicy - a very subtle and dry spice. I suppose the flowery bit is the Orris, it tends to smell overly flowery at first, then later it's all flower-powder.

Wet: Night-blooming flowers now, with a hint of dry summer wind.

Dry: I get hints of dry summer dandelions and dry powdery...well, bones. I don't know how else to describe it.

Throw: A medium amount of throw i'd say, but it doesn't last all that long.

Overall: Like any perfume with Orris root in it this one goes on forever, unfortunately it's only the Orris that goes on and on and on. All the other scents fade out in relatively quick order, after only an hour or so. The Orris though, it sticks around for twelve or more hours. I might have to start avoiding Orris. :P

In the vial: Dragon's Blood and sandalwood

On me: Yep, still dragon's blood and sandalwood, and perhaps a bit of musk. I definitely can smell the orris and blondewood now, on my skin. This is really beautiful on my skin.

Verdict: I think this is a fantastic, well-blended scent. Definitely a keeper!

Rating: 5/5

This really does smell the way I would imagine a dragon's ossuary to smell. It must be the blondewood that gives it that brittle wood smell. I love Dragon's Blood and wood notes, but this is one that I had to get used to. It is so different from the deeper wood notes, but I think that it is perfect for the name of this blend. I really like this dragon because it does not smell so flowery on me as some of the others do. My skin tends to amp up the floral notes in anything with Dragon's Blood, but the wood notes in this seem to keep that tendency in check.

Dragon's Bone - Dragon's Blood is usually really strong on me, but combined with the other notes in this particular blend, it's fairly subtle. White sandalwood is the strongest note, giving this blend a dry and hollow scent that seems to get more brittle with time. Despite being so subtle, it lasts about 3 hours on my skin, which is fairly good, considering how dry my skin is.

Dragon's Bone

In the imp: sharp, piercing dragon's blood with a hint of wood.

Wet on skin: an almost medicinal d-b scent but with a dry, wooden undertone…it smells less like warm sandalwood and more like something drier and paler.

Dry on skin: that's a lot better. The d-b loses its hold on the scent but still lingers, now allowing the woods to come out more. I can't really smell orris yet but I do smell sandalwood now-and it really is the paler, slightly green (as in, this is a young tree sort of scent) wooden scent. I also get another wood that I'm not familiar with but it does have a wooden furniture feel to it-maybe it's the blonde wood?

After a while: ah, here's the orris! I can smell it's telltale powder scent at the back, a white, slightly floral, powdery scent which really does make the scent smell dusty and very pale indeed, but I still get lots of wood here. Very much a furniture-y/DIY wood scent with even a hint of sharp, almost chemical smelling varnish (probably the dragon's blood) but I also get a hint of candle wax/smoke-where on earth does that come from?

Eventually this settles into a pleasant woody scent, which to my nose is reminiscent of cedar planks, with a bit of orris. I'm impressed at how dry this scent is-it's barren, dust-covered, left alone and forgotten.

Verdict: this was a very unusual and extremely woody scent, dry and dusty, with a hint of sweet powdery orris. the dragon's blood in here is fairly strong (unlike Claw) and it keeps popping up now and then amongst the woods. the woody scent in here is a lot paler and a lot less dark and rich than Claw, which is understandable for the name, and the orris is very pretty. I'm not sure if I like this one enough to keep it-I prefer Claw as my woody d-b scent, and the wood in here smells a bit too much like freshly varnished furniture and dusty cupboards to me at times, though it is a unique and very aptly named scent-it's dusty whiteness is indeed evocative of dry, old bones.

Emoticon rating: :P

I am a Dragon’s Blood fan.

Actually, I’m a Dragon fan, too, but I’m trying to keep this scent related. :P

I am not, however, generally a fan of sweet scents, fruity scents, or juniper scents. Still, I thought I should try all the Ars Draconis!

Reading descriptions and reviews, I had ranked Dragon’s Bone as W(anted).

Imp: Dragon’s blood and soil.

On: The woods come out, giving the Dragon’s blood a rosy quality.

I have now discovered that I don't like dragon's blood resin. Darnit. I wanted to, but oh well.

Nothing in the catagory works for me.

this was a blind experiment on my part. i've never smelled dragon's blood, but i know i like sandalwood, so i thought i'd give it a go.

i can't really place why, but i really didn't like this one on me. too...musty or something. made me feel like i had dust coating my throat or something along those lines.

When first wet, I smell woody sandalwood with some dragon's blood. Given a minute or so to dry, it turned into something very different. I cannot place it, but it is a nice different. I suspect it is orris I smell, mingling in and tempering the wood.

This is a very lovely scent, but a scent for an odd mood. I will make room for it in my imp box, and it will see rotation, I think, but Dragon's Bone is NOT a daily scent.

This is very dry. The sandalwood is quite dominant, which is pretty unusual because my skin amps dragon's blood. It's a nifty scent that I may try layering with other, lusher smells like Blood Rose.

In the imp: hunh, sharp alcohol-based-perfume-smell, chemical and bitter.

On me, wet: sharp chemical-floral over baby powder. Man, something in this just isn't good, and I think it's the orris.

On me, dry: hmm, better than when wet, but still sort of a chemically powdery floral, with only the barest hint of sandalwood to warm it. It's a fusty talcum-ish floral, I guess - dry and slightly choking.

Verdict: Not even sandalwood and dragon's blood can save me from thinking orris is a nasty, dry chemical scent, apparently. Not one to keep around.

Dragon's blood on me appears to have this very sweet scent... almost sickly sweet, but just shy of actually being there. I tent to like it. In dragon's bone though I'm getting a very amped up wood note. I can tell it's a white wood, it feels lighter colored somehow. Not as strong as most wood notes but my skin is amping it up appropriately anyway. Wood wood wood... that's all I'm getting out of this. < le sigh > I wish woods didn't hate my skin chemistry so.

Source: Imp

Initial Impressions First time to try a dragon scent! I’m a bit apprehensive, mostly because Bloodlust (with dragon’s blood essence) smelled so gosh darn bad on me.

Bottle: It smells like sweet, slightly faded sandalwood; maybe the orris and blondewood is contributing to that? I want to say it also smells like a vegetable that I can’t quite put a name to.

Wet: Holy frogs, something explodes on my skin. I smell nothing but one scent. It’s not sandalwood, but since I’m not sure what blondewood and orris smell like, I can’t differentiate between the scents. Maybe it’s the dragon’s blood resin, maybe it’s something else. I’ll probably need another dragon scent to compare.

Drydown: Still the same scent, and giving me a bit of a headache. It reminds of… of a library! That’s it; it reminds me of the times I spent in my university’s book stacks, especially the older ones, and the dusty, quiet feel to them. Oh, man. This is a seriously nostalgic scent. I’m reminded of the long hours of research and the feeling of satisfaction after I turned in my senior thesis.

Dry: Three hours later, the exact same smell is still there, but obviously weaker. Even with all the sweat, the scent stays, which is a bit of a pity since regardless of how nostalgic it made me feel, it still gives me a headache.

Overall: I might get a bottle to give to a friend. She’s a serious old!library addict, and in a different way from me; I think she’ll adore this scent.