Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Bone

The dry, thin scent of a draconic ossuary. Dragon's blood resin with white sandalwood, dusty orris and crisp blondewood.

In the imp: This is very interesting. I've tried a lot of dragon's blood blends, and this is among the most distinctive (Dragon Moon is probably the most distinctive). The orris is very prominent, as is the sandalwood.

Wet: As others have mentioned, this is a very resinous scent, and the sandalwood is probably the strongest of the two woods. It gives a creamy edge to the orris, but you can also feel the solidity of the blondewood.

Drydown and wear: The dragon's blood never really emerged as the orris takes this blend over in the drydown stage. Orris is a note that I'm really enamored of. It is so dry that the result on my skin is almost smoky, and I love that. The sandalwood offers such an interesting contrast that does not completely go away. I'm going to put this one on my top list.

Dry and hot. These bones have been bleached white by desert sun and scoured smooth from years of blowing sand. The wood notes and orris take over, and the dragon's blood isn't all that evident on me. I like it.

Wow - I really dig this one. Just gorgeous.

Evidently my chemistry loves dragon's blood. Every one of the Ars Drac that I have tried have been fab. Woo Hoo!!!

I am not even going to try to figure this one out. It is VERY warm! The white sandalwood (which I am surprised didn't go nasty on me) and the blondwood are fantastic.

Big bottle please!!!

I got this as a frimp from the lab.

I've only tried this on once, so I may try it again to see if my opinion changes. Dragon's Bone smells very woodsy in the bottle. On, it smells kind of soapy. Soapy and dry if that makes any sense. Smells a bit masculine to me. Not really my thing, but I love it on my boyfriend! It smells very comforting, warm, and dry and not soapy at all.

I don't think I'll be ordering this, but I'll definitely be enjoying the imp on my boyfriend.

I haven't found an Ars Draconis scent that I dislike yet, so I'll probably like this one very much. *sniff* I do like it, although not as much as some of the others. This one isn't as heavy on the dragon's blood. I think the orris is what I get primarily. The sandalwood is in there, too, but it smells...different...from the way sandalwood usually smells to me. The longer I have it on, the more the sandalwood is coming out.

I don't get "dry" from this at all. Dragon's blood is not one of my favorite scents; it smells like thick, incensy cherry syrup on me. I do love orris, and amp it like crazy, but it's a very sweet and creamy scent on me, reminiscent of marzipan or almonds. This basically just smells like Florence with dragon's blood.

OMG, finally a BPAL scent that i really really like!

this is like Blood Pearl but with a bit of dragon's blood and sandalwood added in.

i'm so grateful to the forumite who sent me an imp of this, but now i MUST get a bottle!

Dragon's Bone-

In Bottle: Dragon's Blood cherry-powder scent with something, ooh, white and dry and floral-lovely.

Wet: A little spicy, more so than other Dragon's Blood blends.

Dry: Hm, I don't really love this one the way I love other Dragon's Blood blends. The spice in this is just a little too peppery. Obviously I'm comparing it to other Dragon's Blood blends, but, hey, I know a few of them now; it goes with the territory.

Overall: Not for me.

First Impression: Dragon's blood with lots of cherry and musk.

Dries down to: A hint of sandalwood joins the party; then, as it starts to amplify, the cherry departs but leaves sweetness behind. It really improves the longer it lasts.

Additional Comments: This is definitely a "dry" scent. I really like the Ars Draconis category, but of them all, this is my least favourite, so far - but it's still great.

Lasted: A few hours.

Rating: 3 out of 5

As with most of the db blends I've tried, this turned to sweet, powdery gardenia almost immediately. Poo.

On my skin I get mostly sandalwood and orris with a hint of blondewood. A very dry and dusty scent, as others have described. While it is perfectly evocative what it's supposed to be, it's just not a scent that screams "me". I will keep the imp for some of my more moody times, but I don't need a big bottle of this.

In the imp: Sandalwood sweetened by the DBR. Does have a dry feel to it. I love the dominant woody note.

Wet/Drydown: First on, orris just totally blossoms on my skin, blending with the sweetness of the DBR. It’s a dry, papery sweetness, not overpowering. Hmmm… it’s still dry and papery, but the DBR is really starting to smell like cherries. Strongly. I do get the woody notes, but they’re hiding underneath the CHERRIES. Ok, the cherries are calming down a bit – they’re still there, but they’re mostly trying to appease me by not taking over. We’ll see how successful they are at that. The dry, dusty orris is still a strong player – perhaps it’s what is tempering the DBR. The resin is also tempered by the woody notes, which I love and wish were stronger. Ok, the DBR is really settling down more to be tolerable. It’s definitely still there – this is definitely a sweet scent – but now it’s sharing the stage with the other notes and blending wonderfully with them.

Dry: Ok, now the orris and woods are dominant, with the DBR tossing in a bit of sweetness. It’s still a very dry scent. Getting warmer and dryer. Later – the woods take on a creamy note, very skin-scent. Not much staying power. It’s nice, but it doesn’t grab me. I’ll probably wear it occasionally when I want a nice, gentle, unobtrusive scent.

I won't buy a big bottle, but I'll enjoy the imp.

In the bottle: Dragon's blood and white sandalwood, very fresh.

Wet: White sandalwood and the slight bitterness of dragon's blood, with something a bit aquatic. Ooh, I get honey-sweet iris, I really hope it won't go bad on me.

Drydown: White sandalwood mingled with dragon's blood. It has this very dragon's blood scent, slightly like banana and resin. The sandalwood smells very beautiful, not sour as it can go on me sometimes, but smooth and woody. Iris has faded to nothing. After a while, the wood takes another scent, which reminds me strongly of the woods in Krampus, cool and dark.

Overall: It's a good sandalwood blend, excellent for people who can wear woody blends and who don't have problems with orris. It's not at all a "me" blend, I don't wear woods, but it's sophisticated and elegant, and very pleasant to sniff.

so, after my very first swipe of this, i thought, oh GAWD this is terrible! floral, sharp, almost aquatic. and then syrup. :D and then i thought, what is this "dry" business everyone keeps mentioning?! wtf ever, it's floral and sticky and gross.

um, and then i let it sit for um...i dunno, a few months...and tried it the other day.

RAWR! :P so good!!!

i get the dry! the white! the dusty! the only thing is that it's a bit over-the-top dusty, and it goes powdery-sweet on me, but that's also not a complaint. just different.

also, i can't pick out any of the notes. very weird. oh well! makes no difference, i still love it. woohoo!

I love dragon's blood, so getting a frimp of this was nice. And woooo... dragon ossuary indeed! I don't know how they get that baked and bleached bone smell, but it's SO bones! Wet dry, all the way through, it's dragon's blood and the smell of ancient bones in a desert cavern. If ever a scent evoked an actual picture, this is it! I'm impressed!

Make you want to go wear it while excavating dinosaur remains....

Sandalwood + dry shrub growing by the beach on a hot summer day. I get only very very faint floral whiff. Mostly sandalwood with hints of orris and dragon's blood. Dusty and slightly sweet. Love it.

Edited by Kosyena

Dragon's Bone

In the Bottle:

Dry and sharp.

The Dragon's Blood is pretty minimal here, but I can pick out the Blondewood & Sandalwood without any issues. Or maybe the Sandalwood is the Orris?

hmmm....

On my Skin, Wet:

Still dry and sharp.

somewhat floraly; I guess that the Orris is doing some blooming on my wrist.

I can still pick out a wood smell,

I suppose it's the blondewood - I don't think any other BPAL scent has Blondewood in it, so I'm not sure about this.

On my Skin, Dry:

Dry and floral.

The Dragon's Blood is peeking out just a wee bit here.

it's still vaguely sharp - I cannot place the origin of the sharp note though.

Verdict:

I think the BF likes this one on me better than I like it.

I just don't like sharp scents.

I think I'll try it out on him and see if that arrangement works better.

As a perfume, however - I would rate this one as a 6 of 10.

It's lovely in it's own way, if just not for me.

:P

Ooo. Light on dragon's blood, heavy on sandalwood and orris.

On this is way more floral than I'd have expected. The orris is its usual assertive, noisy self, going straight to powder without passing Go or collecting so much as a sniff of any other note.

It has respectable throw, too. Drat. I put it on both wrists.

I was hoping the orris would be light. Alas, it's dominant. Not for me.

This is stunningly beautiful for the first hour or so. It's dry and dusty, soft, and complex. Dragon's blood and sandalwood are the most dominant notes on me (unsurprisingly), but the orris and blondewood just add that extra something, particularly complexity. However after an hour or so those notes have gone leaving sandalwood with a hint of dragon's blood underneath. These are my two favourite notes so that's a good thing, but it also means it's quite close to Dragon's Claw on me, just a bit softer and dryer.

I will get a bottle in the future, but probably not until my bottle of Dragon's Claw runs out.

bottle: dry, so very dry.. with the sweetness of the dragon's blood beneath

wet: a lot of dbr, but I can smell the orris...so dry and wispy. nothing of the woods, yet.

dry: now the woods, but yes, it's all still very dry..the sweet is less so but still a balance to the dustiness.

later: it's interesting, the bdr and the orris together have a sort of quiet lushness...like an iris bloom laid in a wooden box..the juxtaposition of the fresh and still dewy with the dry, once-living wood..very interesting.

In the imp, Dragon's Bone is straight sandalwood.

Wet, it smells like nothing so much as the smell my mom and grandmother's old perfumes become after decades of disuse. This is only so for a minute, but it's bizarre!

Dry, early: I get just a hint of dragon's blood amid a very dry dusty smelling perfume. It reminds me of the beach! Small little gardens in the front yards of beachside property. There's just a hint of sweetness and something that smells like sunscreen (the beach!). I like my dragon's blood stronger than that, tho...

Dry, later: SOAP.

In the imp: Holy crow! This smells like... dragon's blood!

Wet: Holy crow! On my skin, this smells like... dragon's blood! :P Sweet and wet at this stage.

Drydown: But very shortly, the resin recedes greatly and I get the dry, dry sandalwood, and then a rising of the powdery orris. Quite evocative of the scent concept, and quite yummy.

imp/wet: resinous sandalwood and a sharp dragon's blood top note. The db is going a bit moth bally on me almost immediately, as dragon's blood likes to do on me. :P

In the vial:

What else? Dragon's Blood resin

On me:

As always, the dragon's blood smells like lilacs to me and it tends to take over scents so that any other notes are very secondary. This is no different. It's like lilacs with a hint of sandalwood and a little breath of iris.

Final note:

I like this well enough - it's not as dry as I was expecting, it's actually like a lush floral - it makes me think of the Spring!

In the imp: Dragon's blood with an undertone of dusty wood.

On skin: Predominantly dragon's blood, and the woods take a minute or so before they begin to emerge. It's warm, dry, and a little dusty.

~10 minutes: The woods are coming though more strongly now, adding harsher feel to the dryness of this blend, with a sense of heat smouldering in the background.

~30 minutes: The woody notes have really taken over this blend with dryness and heat. Not really my kind of scent at all.