Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Bone

The dry, thin scent of a draconic ossuary. Dragon's blood resin with white sandalwood, dusty orris and crisp blondewood.

Maybe it's just my untrained nose, but my sample of this (the first blend with Dragon's Blood I've tried) was happy and floral, not particularly dry or dark.

I'm not complaining, however; it's a very elegant and almost... matte? kind of floral.

The nature of the florals gets progressively lighter, too, during wear. It's the kind of fragrance that makes me rethink my "flowers are silly" ideas, since there's nothing cloying or old-womanly about it.

Hrmm.... definitely requires more experimentation, happily undertaken!

The first time I wore this, my brother said... "Hey... you smell like grandma's!"

o.O;

It does smell dry and sweet.. so I guess I can see where that comes from. Unfortunately.

Instant impression wet is gardenia mixed with cherry or cough syrup. That might seem strange but there you go. As it begins to settle I detect the sandalwood, which I like very much. It’s a very nice blend but not as remarkable as I’m used to with BPAL blends generally but I think it warrants a retest. Overall, I think it’s a very comforting blend, but goes a bit soapy a few hours later.

In the imp:

Oddly enough, sweet florals.

Wet:

When I first apply this, it smells sweetly floral with only a hint of the incense. After a few minutes, the Dragon's Blood comes out in full force, though. A few minutes more, and it is blending nicely with the floral smell. After the disappointment of Dragon's Milk, which I so expected to like but instead got "meh" from, this blend is a pleasant surprise so far.

Dry:

This dries down less floral and more incensey, but it's still worth another wearing. Pretty!

Dry floral/nutty/soapy. Zero sweetness, this is purely a dry and dusty toned scent.

This is actually very unique, and fortunately (for me) the dragon's blood dissipates as soon as it leaves the imp. I didn't bother to try this imp 'til last (it was a freebie) as I abhor dragon's blood - the bedrock scent that emits from every gothy headshop in the world, but really this deserves its own category. What a pleasant surprise, easily my fav oil from this last batch. Whoever packed my order and threw this one in, I owe you.

wow, this is nice! sandalwood usually amps to high heaven on me but here the sticky sweet dragon's blood keeps it in check. it has the woodiness i love combined with one of my favorite notes ever, dragon's blood. stays very true and has great throw.

I have no idea what dragon's blood resin is supposed to smell like, so this may be a little off.

In the imp: Smells like incense. Like the kind you find in headshops. A little flowery, a little spicy.

Wet: Whoa. Still incensy, but now with a major kick of sandalwood. This is definitely a warm smell.

Dry: It's turned to soap on me, but it's one of the best soaps I've had yet. Instead of smelling that that industrial yellow stuff I get from so many of the "lighter" blends, this one smells like lovely violet soap. It's not me, but it's still rather nice to sniff.

Edited by Pyrebi

Of all the Dragon's Blood blends I think this one is the softest yet, I have Dragon's Musk but I mean soft as in the throw and roundness of the scent.

This to me has that same sort of creamy softness that French Love has..

I'm not the biggest fan of Sandalwood when it takes over a blend, but because it is white sandalwood I'm taking it to mean that it's much lighter, and also the blondewood.

I can''t say I know what orris smells like, but there is definately something else lurking in here.

This is nice for the simple fact that it's much softer and drier than alot of Dragon's Blood blends. Because they usually kick you in the face when you apply them. This one doesn't, so if you're a fan of dragon's blood but prefer not to knock people out with it. Try this!

On me, Dragon's Bone is plumeria (which dragon's blood smells like on me) and a little dust. It's not my favorite dragon's blood scent, but I do like it.

Hm. This blend starts out like a muted version of pure Dragon's Blood, toned down and dusty. As it dries, a weird scent pops out - something like either cream or plastic, and it tickles the back of my nose. (Yeah, I said it was weird.) After about an hour the sandalwood comes to the fore.

Orris sometimes goes strange on me, and I think that's what's happening here.

this went on interesting and slightly floral, then dry down all that happened was dragon's blood. i couldn't smell the sandalwood and still after 30 minutes, all i had was fading dragon's blood.

So how sad is it that I've got my BPAL down to a routine? I come home from work, I wipe today's scent off my wrists with alcohol, put a drop of jojoba on the wirsts, then find a new scent to try. Today's lucky victim? Dragon's Bone (clearly)!

Imp: Dusty dragon's blood. Like a really clean version of dragon's blood incense.

Wet: The woods amp up and take over leaving the dragon's blood lingering in the background. The orris is lost.

Dry: Mmm, mmm, mmm. My skin amps the dragon's blood up to a nice level, the woods have calmed down and the orris is lending a sultry violet scent to to the overall proceedings. This is sexy!

Throw: Ample. The dragon's blood and I, we shall be great friends.

Overall: I think I should just throw caution to the wind and 5 ml any and all dragon's blood blends. This is gorgeous and unique and a bit less... sensual than some other dragon's blood blends. This is naughty secretary sexy.

My first dragon's blood experience, this imp was a freebie. At first sniff a sharp, greeny smells shoots up my nose. I assumed it would be more syrupy. Once on it smells a bit floral on me. It has quite a good throw at the moment, but reminds me a teeny bit of a soap I once had, nice nonetheless. Now dry it smells like a delicate floral soap. Not really my cup of tea I'm afraid.

In Imp: Beautiful sandalwood touched with dragon's blood.

Wet: Slight sweetness to this, but wonderfully balanced. I can't really pick out any of the notes in this now, it is just smelling warm and cosy, slightly sensual and lazy.

Dry: Can just detect the orris, but its well in the background (which is good as violetty-type smells can be too cloying on me.

Verdict: I absolutely adore this, it loves my skin, another addictive scent!

Marks out of 10: 9

imp: sweet, tangy orris and sandalwood.

wet: the floweriness of the dragon's blood mixes quite nicely with the orris and sandalwood. this has a dusty feel to it, very nice interpretation.

dry: this is so heady as it dries, almost dizzingly sweet.

In the vial - This is very dry scent. Although the dragon's blood is dominant, as one might imagine, the woody notes and particularly the orris quieten the aggressive nature of the resin.

Wet on the skin - Again, a woody, understated scent.

Next stages - Orris becomes more noticeable than the other wood notes as time goes on, and its soft, round tones keep this blend from being harsh or sharp. This definitely remnds me of an ancient mausoleum full of dust and stones.

Dry down - This is elegant in quite a genderless way, and gives the feeling of detachment and deep thought. This would be an ideal blend to wear when studying, or to use as a room scent in a library.

Similar scents - Blood Pearl. If you like the dry, white sandalwood note of this blend, try Shroud.

Dusty dragon's blood...after a while the woods start to show up as well.

It was great to finally be able to try this but it's nowhere near as good as Dragon's Reverie which I adore!

Peachy-orange-amber oil. Dry, slightly sharp sandalwood, dusty/powdery slightly soapy orris, loads of sweet-soapy dragon's blood fake cherry-lilac air freshener, and a light, bright and indeed crisp, somewhat citrusy note that reminds me quite a bit of cypress minus the green and evergreen/woodsy tones.

Dragon's blood amping, and orris too. Especially the orris. It's quite powdery and yes, dusty, but also oddly smooth, opaque in feel - like a thick layer of snow - not cold, but that same type of blanketing feel. The sandalwood is instantly softer, less dry and sharp, more musky, creamy and almost a little sweet. The blondewood has gone a tad plastic the way that white tea does on me, and indeed it reminds me a bit of tea - other than the slight plastic aspect it's gorgeous. The dragon's blood is still foul, but these other notes are standing up to it surprisingly well.

ORRIS ORRIS ORRIS, totally amped even more, totally dominating. It's actually quite violety, almost creamy, very smooth and not nearly as unpleasantly dusty/powdery as it so often is. It reminds me a lot of the Violet Ray's drydown. The blondewood is holding up below it pretty well, remaining crisp, and likewise for the lovely sandalwood. The dragon's blood is actually the faintest note at this point, and the orris is so much more pleasant than usual that I could almost wear this. The plastic aspect has completely vanished, too, thankfully!

This oil is one that never really dries, but it doesn't morph much. It's very violety, quite strong and quite lovely, white, smoothly powdery, almost creamy and quite thick orris - it makes me think these are polished bones, almost gleaming. Reminds me a bit of Silver Phoenix sans the sweetness in that gleaming opaque regard. The sandalwood which amps too and becomes smoother, muskier and also creamier with an increasing almost vanillic sweetness adds to this effect. The blondewood fades slightly and gradually over time, making the scent older and less 'fresh', and unfortunately that results in more apparent soapy dragon's blood, which is more towards lilac than cherry in the end. Good throw and decent longevity.

Edited by fairnymph

Frimp from the lab

In the imp: It smells... juciy? Where does bone get juciy from? (after reading the other reviews I guess it is the dragon's blood)

Wet: Still that juicy smell but with abit of wood in it...

I am beginning to think this is the dragons boner instead of bone...

Drydown: The wood is coming forward more and more. Hubby sniffed and said massage oil... I have no idea why. His nose is strange (says the girl who gets juicy from a bone perfume).

Dry: More wood than it was wet but all in all this stays the same one me the whole time. It is tasty

Verdict: This is an interesting scent and I will keep my imp.

Mmm, I really like this. In the imp I get the dragon's blood and some of the sandalwood, but as soon as it's on and starts the drydown the dragon's blood goes away (probably good for me, since dragon's blood seems to turn right to soap on me) and the orris comes out- that sweet, violet-y scent. It's not too sweet, though, because the sandalwood keeps it in check. Dragon's bone, on me at least, is very light and wears close to the skin but I couldn't stop sniffing it. The combination of the sweet orris and the spicy sandalwood is so great- it's like the scent equivalent of a really nice girl who just happens to have that tousled, just-out-of-bed hair.

In The Bottle

Dragon's Blood

On Application

Jasminey Dragon's Blood

Dry Down

I really don't know why I am getting jasmine amping up in this. Dragon's Blood was fine and there doesn't appear to be jasmine according to the notes. Disappointing. This does get a bit drier and thinner as it warms with the woods coming through. Complete miss for me.

Rating (0-5)

Dry woods with dragon's blood, and the dragon's blood isn't amping like it often does on me so I can actually smell the other notes. More masculine than some of the other Ars Draconis blends. Soft, not overpowering.

Hm, not such a hit, this one. Very sweet and floral. Lilies turned to cough syrup within 10 minutes.