Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amberbella

Chaos Theory

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, an exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct. Each bottle is numbered, and comes with a small parchment certificate.

I am the proud owner of Chaos Theory CXIV...and I mean PROUD owner! It is the best scent yet that I have experienced through BPAL. I have a problem with description, so bear with me.

This scent smells exactly like a certain Halloween scratch and sniff sticker from the early 80's that I was enamored with. There is a anise-type base..but there is a cherry/cranberry type scent in there as well. I can't describe it...but it is beautiful.

Oh how I love my Chaos Theory.... :P

Chaos Theory Fragrant Fractal CXXIII (123) recieved in a swap with blackrayne.

First Impression: Sweet oranges.

Second Impression: This isn't the juice from a fresh orange, this is the oil that sprays as you tear the skin from the ripe fruit. There is something else here too, something deeper.

Final Analysis: It's a mood uplifter but it's just not me. I don't do well with fruity scents, for the most part. I must find this a good home.

I am the very HAPPY owner of Chaos Theory CXV!

I cheated. Normally on my reviews I don't sniff them until I get ready to do the actual review, but this time I cheated. I sniffed my Chaos Theory as soon as I had it out of the box, so I know I love it already. I haven't tried it on yet, because I wanted to try my up-and-comings first, but I can't WAIT!!

In the Bottle: CXV is all cinnamon and white sandalwood. In fact, I've been looking for a good spice scent all along, and I think I just found it! Is it possible that Beth and the other Angels at BPAL actually looked at our reviews first to determine what they thought would work for us, because I can't believe how perfect for me this smells!

On Me: This is a slick, golden colored liquid and just POURS out red-hot cinnamon. Delicious, delicious cinnamon. Ok, no slathering in the cleavage for this one, but under the ears and such should be fine. Mild tingling sensation in my wrists, a little itchy, but not too bad....I LOVE my cinnamon!!

As it'd drying down, it is still VERY cinnamon, like I just slathered a wet Red Hot on my wrist and popped it back into my mouth. There may be something else coming in, but my nose is still full of cinnamony goodness. Wait...on the exhale there is the sandalwood, hiding behind the cinnamon. And....wait...what's that? Why, its vanilla!! Rich and creamy vanilla, thick and warm. Oh...Oh heaven! Its Tombstone with cinnamon! Could this possibly get any better???

Ow...my wrists are all red from the cinnamon oil. They aren't really too uncomfortable, but they are red. Oh well:) I'm not going to let that bother me, been there done that! This oil is too perfect to worry about that! And boy does it last!

If there was ever a signature scent for me, this would be it. Sweet and Spicy, with more spice than sweet;)

Chaos Theory XCVIII (by way of Andrabell)

Wet, from the bottle, and first impressions as drying... Melon. Freshly cut, nice and juicy. Almost as if it was just removed from the freezer and starting to thaw out.

10 minutes after applying, this is turning slightly floral, but in a very light, airy floral way... still a bit melony too.

So far I am loving this Chaos Theory! :P

I received CHAOS Theory XXVIII (28).....and it's a fragrant fractal mystery!

And I love a mystery.

Chaos arrived today, which from dawn onward has been hectic & wild. We are moving our home AND home-offices next week and chaos has been my middle name.

I am at a loss to describe the scent, I haven't a clue where to begin and of course, the notes keep shape-shifting.

This scent is seemingly evanessence & yet in no way is this scent fleeting, light or gossamer-like. It has an almost earthy-warm, buttery overtone and yet a head-on hit of a lemon-y type scent but...more.... like perhaps, lemongrass.... no, maybe more like lemon verbena and yet with a great big dollop of a butterscotch-y, caramel-y, thing-y going on. Still with me?

Let me try again (certainly chaos is reigning in my fragrant-molecule-soaked brain)...

I hesitate to call it tangy (i think of the old orange-flavored drink crystals, yuk) but it has a tangy-ness that is so lively. This is not a sweet fragrance at all but very clean on dry down, bypassing the aforementioned butterscotch period....almost soap but the lemon verbena or whatever saves it from a descent into soapiness.

When I first smelled this I got an image of sun warmed earth, the way it feels on a hot summery day. Then whooosh.....and it changes again. Ultimately this scent is centered around sunny and warm. And oh yes, lemon-butter.

:P

ETA. more stuff

Edited by fragrantgrasse

This is my second Chaos Theory and I received Chaos Theory Fragrant Fractal CV (105) from the Lab.

In the bottle its very pepperminty with a faint undercurrent, almost like peppermint with something deeper underneath it, it certainly smells tempting enough to down the bottle, but thats another story.

Initially when applied, the spearmint is the strongest note, its quite piercing. As it settles after a few minutes, it soothes down into and settles to a minty/cucumber scent, very soft. On the outsides of the scent, you can just about smell a glimpse of the juiciness from Titianna.

After an hour its settled into an icy cool cucumber fruity scent, in fact the back of my hand where I've applied it to is quite cold.

If I had to guess at notes, I'd prolly think that there was more than one type of mint here, cucumber, with the barest touches of white grape, maybe white peach, iced pear and a little white musk.

To describe this scent in two word, it would be serenely chilly, but not the icy regal from Queen Gertrude which was a little sexless from the violet and delphinium. This goes beyond that, this is a sexy chilly like an ice elemental goddess (the aeon Shiva from FFX springs to mind), think frostbite, this scent is that cold. :P I love it though, it fits my ice queen personality very well. <3

Chaos Theory CVII.... by the wings of Clover!

This smells so young and fruity! I really like it. When I first applied it, there were a few fruity notes that were a little strong for me. Then when it dried a little, I smelled Pear the most! It smells like Pear Glace from VS! I used to wear that when I was 21! Such fond, specific memories flooded in from that time in my life! I love it! Thanks so much clover for trading! I also want to thank Beth & co. for making such incredible scents that bring back so many good times! I am sooo happy! :P

Fragrant Fractal LXXVII

In the bottle: Upon first opening the bottle, there is a wood note that is definitely drawing my attention. It is both powerful and elusive; this isn't a wood note that I've encountered before, and thus it strikes my nose as unusual. The more deeply I sniff, the more it seems to disappear, and I am left with the fresh fragrance of green herbs covering something pleasantly, almost intriguingly, sweet. At times, I am also able to catch the pungent silver-green scent of eucalyptus! Strangely, after inhaling quite deeply I am left with a taste in the back of my throat that is reminiscent of jello parfait. I wonder what note is causing that.

On my skin: The scent remains quite herbal with that sweet-but-not-too-sweet note lingering in the background. The wood note is playing a game of hide and go seek with me. When I sniff my wrists directly it is no where to be found, but as I type this review, it wafts up to tantalize my nose. The eucalyptus remains fairly strong for a minute or two, but soon settles in with the rest of the blend, losing its sharp, penetrating edge. The herbal notes, which clearly form the solid core of this blend, are absolutely wonderful: green without being bitter, fresh without being startling.

In the end: The sweet note has finally begun to move forward, and I believe it to be vanilla, but this is no sugary, candied vanilla. Instead it is a rich, creamy scent that is eager to blend with the deep, smooth wood, serving to enhance the best qualities of each. The herbs have begun to dry and fade, giving me the image of a small, isolated meadow near the end of autumn, with a dark evergreen forest encroaching on one side.

All in all, this is a strikingly (and unusually) beautiful scent. Mild, subtle, and mysterious. This is what I had hoped to find in the various other "green" scents I had purchased. While I did enjoy Belladonna and Alecto, this blend comes closest to what I was searching for... a perfect combination of dark and light.

Edited by Neko

My Bottle is CXVII

It strats off being really green and minty, kind of like Envy without the lavender. After 30 mins or so, it mellows out to a green-white scent very similar to Morella. The mintiness terns into sage. The bottom notes are sweet, white florals - perhaps lotus?

It's a really beautiful scent, but it is not me, though i adore the colour green. I am acually thinking of selling it.

I love the concept behind this LE. I would definitely play again :P

My bottle: Chaos XCIV. I have to say, I count myself amongst the befuddled-but-not-displeased.

This scent is sweet, sweet, sweet. I recognize something that could be black cherry, and there's definitely a trace of vanilla swimming around in there. There's something underneath these two predominating notes that confuses the hell out of me, and I despair of ever being able to put my nose on it. Maybe sassafras.

Whatever else it is, this blend is fruit and cream.

Edited by ninglor

I have chao theory LXXXIII

first, I love the idea, and am glad I got it, even though, sadly, the scent absolutely does not work on me. :D 

In the bottle:  cherry cough syrup, with something much more appealing down under there.  When I first opened my package from the lab, what I smelled was something cherry ciderish, which made me think of lughnasadh, the limited edition I have an imp of from a swap (and am so so sad I didn't get a bottle of!)  None of my other bottles or imps smelled like this, so it was from the Chaos theory...

So I put it on....immediate reaction:  yikes!  cherry cough syrup mixed with anise.  anise is one of my least favorite scents, so I wasn't pleased....My friend who was with me said, optimistically, well, it's not THAT bad...but I could see by the look on her face that she really thought it was....

Still, knowing how the BPAL scent's can morph, I left it on.  What it turned to on me was pure anise....just like a bowl of the seeds.  Nothing else.  Now, about 4 hours later, it has a faintly pleasing cherry-ish, powderish scent and most of the anise is gone, but so is most of the scent....

so off to swap this one away, I'm afraid....its just to anisey for me!

oh well.....

I swapped with cuervosueno (thank you!), and Isn't it strange how things work on and for each person. Now I'm not sure what Anise smells like...so this is my impression of Chaos Theory LXXXIII

My initial impression from the bottle is coconut, banana, pineapple...kind of a crazy pina colada. On my skin more of a toasted coconut, with a fruity undertone. After a while I'm getting an almost licorice type scent...really interesting fun scent! I really love what Beth has done with this wonderful experiment :P I hope she decides to do it again!

Chaos CXXII

I traded with Violetblue for this one.

It is at first overwhelmingly menthol. Sinusclearingly menthol. Even with the cap on it is menthol.

Once on it quickly settles down and becomes menthol (which seems to be some sort of mint and eucalytpus) and aquatic. Now, I'm not usually one for aquatic scents, but this is different. It's so fresh. Not floral or sweet at all.

And will definitely be good for those days when I need something aquatic. And for those days when I need my sinuses cleared.

Xoe, I never even opened it to test it - I just knew I didn't want it bc of that menthol/eucalyptus scent.

Thanks for the swap Xoe!!! *hugs*

I got Xoe's XXXVI - smells of flowery grape kool-aid - shocked the liquid wasn't purple! A very fun and spirited scent, I think it's going to be great for the weekends!!!

Previously reviewed by minilux and xoe.

My Chaos Theory is number LXXXV.  This is the most complex scent I've tried to breakdown.  It's gorgeous...

This starts out with a faintly aquatic note. As it dries a very light floral starts to rise to the top, gardenia (I'm thinking this because it reminds me very much of Old New Orleans but not as sweet)

The longer I wear this a very light spiciness comes up.  Carnation, with a light myrrh undertone. 

This a beautiful dreamy soft scent.  Floral with spicieness!

I got an imp of this Chaos theory from fairywingmaker in a swap for my chaos theory---thanks! this one works much better for me. I agree with the faintly aquatic note, and then it does become floral....I'm wondering if it might be white ginger? I say that rather than gardenia because gardenia is pretty overwhelming to my nose (as in the sacred whore of babylon) and this has the spice and sweetness, but not that sort of overthetop floral note.... Its a bit less spicy on me...carnation notes are faint, but it is a nice light floral, which actually works on me...

and the anise of the earlier chaos theory--anise as in the licorice smelling seeds....funny, isn't it, how different that scent played out on different people....

anyway, I was delighted to be able to try this!

I have Chaos Theory LXVI

In the bottle this is a very familiar smell...I'm not sure from where...

My dad sniffed it and said "Oh! That's exactly what flowers at a funeral smell like! They're always different from flowers anywhere else.."

To me it is a citrus floral. Not something I would normally be drawn to if it was described to me (I'm not a citrus or floral person at all), But this is really quite nice.

I think I smell grapefruit and some flowers (no idea which ones). I felt very focused and awake when I put this on but in a calm, unhurried way. When it dried down it became very creamy and soft but still fresh. At first I wanted to say that there was vanilla in it but I think it might be a creamy scented floral.

I would NEVER have picked out something like this but I'm really glad I ended up with this bottle.

an added note...I put this on when I was feeling overwhelmed by studying and projects, not to mention a house that desperatly needed cleaning. After putting it on, I calmed down a bit and and was able to get through what I needed to do. I felt collected...hmmmm, order out of Chaos?

I received my two bottles of Chaos Theory this weekend!

CVI: wow. It pays to try on because just smelling this one I thought it smelled almost just like Blue Beard and was going to pass it right on to my husband. Well, I thought, "Lemme try this on just in case.." and it is COMPLETELY different on me than just smelling it. On it's like warm honey milk with an underscore of clove. Lovely!

LXXXVIII: no difference between smelling and wearing: 100% pure butterscotch! And it is strong and means business! I don't know if I can wear this out or not. Maybe in the eensiest tiniest of amounts. If I pair this with Bliss, I'll be a walking dessert and maybe forced to put a cherry on top of my head! :P

Chaos Theory Fragrant Fractal LXXXVII (87) received in a swap with Vicious Mistress

First Impression: A spice blend...I smell cinnamon and clove.

Second Impression: Mulling spices and musk, possibly black musk. It's not dry, but I wouldn't call it sweet either. This is a perfect non-foody Thanksgiving-Christmas scent. It's even a bit sexy in that come and snuggle me way.

Final Analysis: The third time is the charm. :P This smells ever so nice on my skin and it's begging for cold weather. I'll be taking this lovely with me to Boston when we visit for Thanksgiving.

CHAOS THEORY LXXVI (76)

My first thoughts are coconut, pennyroyal, lavender and something unknown hidden in the backround.

As I wear it I can definatly smell the mint and lavender in this, though its not sharp (like pain) and it is a warm scent. It is strong and I'm starting to think it may have some amber in it, or a white musk. Now I'm not positive there is coconut in this, if there is its only a drop or so. There is just something I can't quite place in this...Maybe a flower, its almost creamy, milk and tea maybe? Or is this the scent of heliotrope??

I wish I knew what was in this for sure, what I do know if how it makes me feel~peaceful, content as if I'm sitting in the middle of my herb garden w/ my cup of milky tea feeling the gentle breeze touch my face. Shaded but warm.

I love this, perfect chaos theory. I've never smelled anything like it!

:P

Chaos Theory, Fractal Fragrance XVII (17)

guess description: This scent is evocative of the last days of winter. The smell of soft grasses and wildflowers are emerging from patches of just melting snow, combined with the scent of the cedar box in which you pack your winter sweaters. Cucumber, cedar, lime, lemon, and white florals.

*I swapped with supasonicsage for this one. For her review of this scent, go here.*

First Impression

There's cucumber in here, sure. But the florals! They're white and creamy and sweet. Ugh. Not really my thing at all. ...And I just noticed that the oil is eating away the white paper insert inside the cap. ...Weird, and a bit disconcerting. Um....here goes nothing, I suppose.

Wearing It

This is really weird. When I put it on, certain scents flare up for moments at a time, only to give way to a new scent. First there's the florals, which make me unhappy and hoping that they'll change. And they do....Cucumber's next, followed by (weird of weird) a wood scent. Smells like cedar. How...bizarre. And then, on top of the cedar, I start getting this little flashes of lime or lemon. I'm not sure which. Maybe both. And the weird part is that I can't tell if the lemon part is just lemon or lemon verbena. Cause the cedar and the cucumber together smell just green enough that I could be confusing that for the scent of the verbena plant, right? But then the sweet citrus could also be attributed to the lime, which smells very sweet on my skin... I'm so confused!

But by the end of the shapeshifting, it's calmed down a lot. It's now a light cucumber, cedar, lemon/lime, floral scent. It's about as light as Whitechapel, without the lilac... And as soft as Blue Moon, but without the orchid and mystic tones... And kind of like Yuki-Onna, only more pretty. I really like it. The first couple of time I tried it, I was really turned off by the initial floral stages and kept washing it off. But now.... I really love it. I know I sound like a broken record, but Beth is really a genius.

Chaos Theory CIV (104)

I've been reluctant to post because I'm not really sure if my theory and I will get along. :P

In the Bottle: This seriously smells like red licorice candy..very Twizzler-y..I can detect a faint hint of floral in there too.

On the skin: I think theres dragons blood in this, something eucalyptusy smelling also..theres still the hint of red licorice, buts its not as overwhelming on the skin.

Afterhours: the drydown of this is a powdery sweet red musky floral..its not bad at all..its just not me, unfortunately. :D

Chaos Theory XLVIII

First Sniff: Lotus. Definitely lotus. That's all I get from the bottle.

Wearing: This starts out very similar to Black Lotus when wet - the bubble gum sweetness of lotus with a hint of something darker underneath. As it dries, it becomes more obvious that the "something darker" is lavender. The lavender and lotus somehow reach a strange balance of sweet and herbal/floral.

Final Impressions: I like it, but I'd choose Black Lotus over this scent any day of the week.

Chaos Theory XXVII

I was really looking forward to this - the idea was just so intriguing. I really really like the blend and it's too bad that I can't ever get it again. So I will cherich my 5ml until it is all gone!

In the bottle: My nose can never decide what it's smelling. I get citrus but with an herbal edge. Juniper maybe?

On: I get the juniper, heavily. Not a bad thing, I like the crispness of the scent, The heavy juniper fades though and soft florals start peaking through. They're very soft and lovely. My skin amplifies the hell out of florals often making them cloying and sweet, but that's not happening here. The scent dries down to a lovely clean smelling floral with herbal undertones. Just fantastic!

I received Chaos Theory XCII (92).

I :P it, very much. But for the life of me, I can't seem to pull out any specific notes.

It's very green, anf floral (maybe sweet pea??) and yet wet and watery, too. VERY Fae-ish. I thought I detected some Vanilla in it, but I don't think so anymore. It seems to be very complicated.

I wish I could get a listing of what notes are in it, because if anything else in the lab smells even close to this, I WANT IT :D

-Leslie

I was lucky enough to receive an Imp of Leslies Chaos Theory XCII. It's gorgeous! Very light floral, but which ones? Gardenia? This reminds me of Luna, but with a definite green note. Like sweet grass. It is gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for sharing this with me Leslie! :D

chaos theory LXXXV

at first: hmmm...this might have lotus in it. it's a sweet, watery floral. very pretty.

on: yup. a sweet, watery floral. i like this a lot.

1 hour later: this is sweeter and a bit soapy. however, it's still mostly a watery floral.

2 hours later: this is more powdery now, and mostly floral. there's a hint of sweetness there. i might also be smelling a bit of lemon or lime.

3 hours later: this is sweet and powdery now, with just a bit of flowers. very nice.

overall: i'm glad i got to try this one. it's very interesting and nice. definitely the kind of floral i like.

Previously reviewed by fairywingmaker and cuervosueno.

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct. Each bottle is numbered, and comes with a small parchment certificate.

I got a bottle of Chaos Theory LXXII, sniffed it, and stashed it in the back of the box.
On me, it's a slightly minted apricot, though the mint fades out quickly, and leaves behind a hint of something that I suspect is sweet pea.

I decanted a few imps, and I hope the recipients get a chance to review - I think I'll be keeping what's left of my bottle, though I don't know how often I'll wear it. Maybe if someone really really loves it, I'll send the rest on, after pulling off an imp for myself.

Apricots are yummy for eating, but the smell has never done much for me.