Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amberbella

Chaos Theory

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, an exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct. Each bottle is numbered, and comes with a small parchment certificate.

CHAOS THEORY XCIII

This is so interesting and elusive - so many subtle scents that keep fluctuating.
I think "wine" and then I smell citrus. Then rain. The just when I've decided it's a clean scent, I smell something warm and sweet and a little nutty hovering at the edges.
This may be the most complex BPAL scent I've encountered so far.
It's nice on my skin, and subtle. I could easily wear this to work, but it would be nice for dressing up too. And there's something kind of wonderful about being the only person to have it. (But of course, greedy little monkey that I am, I am now wishing that I'd ordered more Chaos bottles - just to see what some others might have been like. Then again, having just one makes it seem more special).

I may end up *really* loving this after I've had some time to build up some associations (which means I'll be heartbroken when the bottle's finished.)

Thank you BPAL folk!

Ladylatemar was sweet enough to sendme an imp of her chaos theory XXI. It's sooo good!

It is mostly coconut, but I think there's something light and playfully sweet hiding underneath as well. Delicious, warm, non-food ish...very very ncie.

Thanks for sharing the loooove!

Previously reviewed by Lady_Ell and andrabell.

chaos theory cxxii

at first: a very powerful peppermint. biting. this is very strong.

on: a billion types of mint. very watery. refreshing and wonderful.

1 hour later: mint! lots and lots of mint. that's all, but it's lovely.

2 hours later: mint, mint, mint. this is really nice. it's still pretty strong.

4 hours later: still pretty strong. all mint.

overall: this is fabulous. i'm really impressed by how the mint lasted, since it tends to fade on me. i'm glad i got an imp of this.

Previously reviewed by xoe.

chaos theory lxxxiii

at first: thie is a really, really sweet, candied fruit scent. i think there may be something a bit earthier underneath, but the sweet scent is too strong for me to be sure. it's a thick, syrupy scent.

on: wow. syrupy sweet candy and fruit. almost like red licorice.

1 hour later: really, really nice. like the way dried fruits taste.

2 hours later: wonderful. syrupy. i relaly like this!

4 hours later: much, much lighter and softer.

overall: beautiful. i'm glad i got an imp of this chaos theory. it'll be great when i want something sweet.

Previously reviewed by cuervosueno and fairywingmaker.

chaos theory xcix

at first: an intense pine.

on: i think i'm getting a lot of pine, but with something else...possibly cinnamon.

1 hour later: this smells a lot like chlorine on me.

2 hours later: now, i'm getting a bit of a pickle scent.

overall: i think that the oil itself was ok, but my skin just messed it up.

chaos theory lxxx

at first: holy sweetness! this smells like the syrup that maraschino cherries are in.

on: maraschino cherries and flowers. wonderful.

1 hour later: this has faded to a barely-there powdery scent.

2 hours later: a little sweet and very powdery. nice.

5 hours later: much lighter, but still nice.

overall: i really like this one. i'm glad i got to try and imp.

Previously reviewed by xoe.

Fragrant Fractal LXXII

The lovely roisnoir scent me a decanted imp of this beauty on a whim, and let me tell you, I've never considered myself so lucky (BPAL wise, anyway).

When wet, I could smell the mildly sweet, fruity-but-not-a-fruit scent of raspberry leaves. This was blended with a spicy herbal bite that I could have sworn was oregano, or perhaps sage (maybe even bay leaf or pepper). Swirling throughout the blend was the distinctive scent of olive leaves. All in all, this scent could be the spunky younger sister of Alecto.

When dry the spicy herbal quality fades and I am left with a delicate, soft scent perfect for warm weather (which we get a lot of here in Los Angeles). I am reminded of an Italian kitchen garden in summer... green and fresh and spicy sweet.

This is now my favorite BPAL blend!

Chaos Theory, Fractal Fragrance XV (15)

guess description: The smooth and gentle scent of innocence. Creamy vanilla and coconut, blended with milk, with a dash of orchid and night blooming jasmine.

*I swapped with Red_Hot_Mama for this one. For her review of this scent, go here.*

First Impression

This is a strong scent. I can smell it even with the cap to the imp on. It smells like coconut (specifically like the sweet coconut smell of a tanning oil), and vanilla. It reminds me of a coconut cream pie, with a hint of something tropical in it.

Wearing It

I applied sparingly because of the strength of the smell. It really is reminding me now of those instant pudding mixes, the ones where you mix in the milk and suddenly you get delicious smelling vanilla. I really think that there's some milk notes in here as well. On my skin, the coconut is less obvious, and it's all this thick milky vanilla scent. Oddly enough, I like it -- normally I can't stand vanilla scents.

And...call me crazy, but I think there may be a smidge of orchid in here. It's that same ethereal floral that's in Phantom Queen and Blue Moon, but it's really hard to pinpoint. Or maybe it is jasmine, like RHM said -- if so, it would have to be nightblooming jasmine. It's so sweet and clear!

Yep, I definitely like this one. It's a little too sweet to be something I'll wear everyday, but I definitely love the sweet creamy smell of coconut and vanilla and milk.

Chaos Theory, Fractal Fragrance XLVIII (48)

guess description: Princess. This blend encapsulates the sweet dreams and wistful fantasies entertained while awaiting a handsome prince. An uncorrupted, and innocent blend of lotus, gardenia, and tonka bean.

*I swapped with paperdoll for this one. For her review of this scent, go here.*

Initial Impression

Smells like bubble gum, but not the type in Jailbait. I'm guessing this is the lotus (which I'm not too familiar with). Also something light and buttery, which could be vanilla or tonka bean or white musk or something. This one's eluding me.

Wearing It

Lotus and ...what is that smooth buttery scent? It's not white musk, and it's not vanilla... It could be tonka bean, I suppose, but... This is really a sparkly scent which reminds me of champagne without the bubbles and without the alcohol. Oh, maybe there's gardenia in here! That could be what I'm smelling. Cause it does have a similarity to Sacred Whore of Babylon and Le Serpent Qui Danse.

As it dries, all I really get is this well blended mix of sweet, light syrup and florals. It's very elegant, but without the dryness associated with the refined blends. This is juicy and sweet, while still being rich.

I'm afraid that this blend is made entirely of notes that I'm unfamiliar with, so my description isn't so good. But it is a nice blend, and smells very appealing.

Chaos Theory, Fractal Fragrance XCV (95)

guess description: Languid. This fragrance brings to mind foggy mornings overlooking the beach, with the scent of the waves and the citrus breezes lulling you into hypnotic relaxation.

*I recieved this one from clover. There is no previous review.*

Initial Impression

Light and vaguely fruity. Maybe orange, or maybe orange blossom? It's got some aquatic notes too, if my guess is right.

Wearing It

Definitely orange blossom. It's got that slightly fruity sweet note that I recognize from Katharina. It's also going a little bit soapy on me, which argues for the aquatic/ozone notes again. How interesting. Also smells as if there might be some sandalwood in here also.

This one's really, really hard to pin down. It's light. It's a bit salty. It's citrusy. It's slightly floral. And it's watery. Yet it isn't any of these in extreme. A very gentle scent.

I got an imp of Chaos Theory XCIX from grrrlennyl. :D

First sniff:

Pine and...cinnamon maybe? I smell something spicy underneath the pine topnote. I'm guessing it's cinnamon, which is fine by me because I love cinnamon. :D

Wet on skin:

The pine really amplifies as soon as it hits my skin, but the cinnamon (I'm sure it's cinnamon now) starts popping up again within seconds. The result is surprisingly beautiful...it almost reminds me of Hamadryad in that it's spicy and woodsy at the same time. Very interesting! :P

Dry down:

Both the pine and cinnamon are at about equal intensity now. It's very Christmasy smelling, actually, like a pine wreath hanging in a kitchen where cinnamon cookies are baking.

The bottom line:

I really like this! I love cinnamon and pine, so this is a definite, hands-down winner for me. :D

I recived an imp of Chaos Theory I from omly (Thanks!).

When I first opened it, I was a little hesitant to try it, as it smelled exactly like the pink bubble gum you get for 5 cents (which is not something I particularly want to smell like). But, I decided I had to try it at least once before I swapped it, and I'm very glad I did - it smells exactly like apple pie with lots of cinnamon. It is the perfect autumn scent. I think it would make a wonderful room scent too, but I'm not going to waste any of my precious imp on that.

Chaos Theory XV

Part of the Chaos Run Amuck swap circle, courtesy of our dear penguin hypothermya! Thanks, doll! :P

Guess description: The smooth and gentle scent of innocence. Creamy vanilla and coconut, blended with milk, with a dash of orchid and night blooming jasmine.

In the vial and for the first ten or so minutes, this smells of nothing so much as banana. There’s something else here too—I think I catch a combination of two smells, familiar, which add up to the banana impression, but I cannot shake them out, find their identity. I get banana, like circus peanuts, and then smoother banana, like banana cream pie. And then the banana fades away entirely, and I get a drift of cocoanut over the creamy smoothness of vanilla pudding. Really, this isn’t vanilla so much as it is the smell and texture of vanilla pudding, soft, creamy. The cocoanut follows in the banana’s footsteps, fades for the most part, if not entirely. Then the milky pudding, although it’s very faint, difficult to catch from the small amount I applied. One would have to slather to induce this to leave one’s skin, and as I’m trying to reserve as much of the precious as possible for those down the line in this marvelous circle swap, I’m not going to be slathering any time soon, let me tell you.

Previously reviewed by Red_Hot_Mama and hypothermya.

Chaos Theory XVII

Chaos Run Amuck, brought to you by the letter H(ypothermya) and by penguins everywhere.

Guess description: This scent is evocative of the last days of winter. The smell of soft grasses and wildflowers are emerging from patches of just melting snow, combined with the scent of the cedar box in which you pack your winter sweaters. Cucumber, cedar, lime, lemon, and white florals.

Ooh! At first blush, beautiful. A tinge of aquatic, but what strikes me most at present is the lemon. Not so sharp as the lemon in embalming fluid, nor as sweet as lemon verbena (plant or single note), this is more the slightly green, cheerfulness of lemon balm. Yes. A transparent whisper of lemon balm softened with a touch of aquatic and a gentle floral filling in the edges, underpinned with something more stable, what must be the cedar, although I just feel its presence rather than being able to distinguish it. The floral becomes slightly more pronounced as time wears on, but it’s certainly not a strict floral, not by any stretch. Less citrus after an hour, more aquatic, but fading. A truly delightful, fresh fragrance that would be marvelous during the spring and summer months. A pity it’s not a member of the permanent collection—although it’s very soft on me, as most of the oils are, it’s a real pleasure to sniff.

Previously reviewed by supasonicsage and hypothermya.

Chaos Theory XLVIII

Part of Chaos Run Amuck, gratzi to dear hypothermya!

Guess description: Princess. This blend encapsulates the sweet dreams and wistful fantasies entertained while awaiting a handsome prince. An uncorrupted, and innocent blend of lotus, gardenia, and tonka bean.

Oh my. This is one smooth customer. Oddly enough, I’m not getting any lotus here—lotus goes fruity on me, not entirely appealing, but that isn't happening here. I’ve not had the pleasure of smelling the Lab’s take on gardenia this does smell like gardenia, and in combination with the tonka bean it is like silk. Pale silk, the texture of thick cream. Again, this is soft on me, not one to speak up loudly, but it is undoubtedly sensual. Lovely. Makes me look forward all that much more to Le Serpent Qui Danse, which I’ve got coming to me in the next few weeks.

Previously reviewed by paperdoll and hypothermya.

Chaos Theory XCV

Chaos Run Amuck. A fourth round of thanks to that cute penguin amongst us…

Guess description: Languid. This fragrance brings to mind foggy mornings overlooking the beach, with the scent of the waves and the citrus breezes lulling you into hypnotic relaxation.

I get an initial burst of gentle citrus—orange, although soft enough as to be associated with the blossom rather than the fruit itself. There’s something astringent here too, although I’m not quite certain what it is. It doesn’t have quite the same presence as a strong lavender oil, but it does smell a bit like the lavender in Calliope to me, playing a supporting role, not clearly defined as itself. Something in that genre, a member of the mint family, perhaps, or something with the bright astringency of pine or balsam. Beneath the brightness of these two, however is a base of either vanilla or tonka bean, offering that same silky smoothness as do XV and XLVIII. Another lovely, glad I got to try these four!

Chaos Theory LXXXV

First sniff: Mmmmm. Watery flowers, with something in the background that makes this scent really delicious – florals generally don’t provoke an “mmmm” response from me. I think it might even be white melon – it’s very light, subtly fruity and very, very juicy.

Wearing: This is beautiful. Entirely feminine, soft, light, floaty, dreamy. It goes sweeter as it dries, somewhat honeysucklish, but stays soft enough that it isn’t intrusive. The final stage is warm and soothing. I can’t figure out what this note is, but it’s lovely – something like a very soft vanilla, but not at all foody. I LOVE this stuff. Thanks for the swap, cuervosueno. :P

Previously reviewed by fairywingmaker, cuervosueno and grrrlennyl.

Chaos Theory XV

Part of the Chaos Run Amuck swap circle, courtesy of our dear penguin hypothermya! Thanks, doll! :P

Guess description: The smooth and gentle scent of innocence. Creamy vanilla and coconut, blended with milk, with a dash of orchid and night blooming jasmine.

That sounds pretty good to me!

I totally get the impression of Circus Peanuts from this.. I once had a shampoo that smelled just like this too.. It reminds me of being a kid and squishing those crazy marshmellowy candy and dissolving them in my mouth.

Coconut and a Banana scent are definitely strong with this one. </yoda>

Previously reviewed by Red_Hot_Mama, hypothermya and with coffee spoons.

Chaos Theory XCV

Chaos Run Amuck. Second of Four..

I'm not very good at distinguishing notes, but the first impression I get from this one is a Floral.. I do notice something citrusy poking it's head out from under that, though. With Coffee Spoons said she thought there was Vanilla or Tonka Bean.. I definitely don't get Vanilla, and that's one thing I can usually pick that out of anything, so I'd guess it might be Tonka Bean... but I could be wrong, of course.

All in all, it's pretty, but not something I'd buy if it was sprayed on me in a department store. It's more obviously floral than I generally like.

Previously reviewed by hypothermya and with coffee spoons.

Chaos Theory XVII

Chaos Run Amuck, brought to you by the letter H(ypothermya) and by penguins everywhere.

In the bottle, this one is kind of strange.. I get a floral scent, but also a bit of what smells like chewing gum.. not the bubble-yum kind, but something more juicy fruitish, but not even as sweet as that. It's very strange. On, the lemon comes out stronger, but it isn't really a lemon-fruit smell.. It's more a lemon-flower smell.. After wearing it for a bit, it softens and blends a bit, but it also has a vague cleaning product scent.. more like an air freshener spray than something strong like lemon pledge, though.

Previously reviewed by supasonicsage, hypothermya and with coffee spoons.

Chaos Theory LXXXII

I bought this from Mrs.Black a few weeks ago. Can I just say how in love I am?! This is like straight cherry on me. I adore cherry. I would love to have cherry's children! (odd image of cherry's with arms and legs running around.) This one has pretty good staying power too, lasts 4+ hours which for me is great! I have three hour classes and six hour work shifts so it works out for me pretty well. It's got a candy sweetness to it, too, a bit more sugary then straight cherry should be.

I got an Imp of Chaos Theory XXVIII as a freebie (don't remember who threw it in for me, oops).

Unfortunately, this is so wrong on me. Lemon Pledge crossed with Bounce dryer sheets. Yarch. Hate it! Ah, well, can't win 'em all.

Previously reviewed by fragrantgrasse.

chaos 95

when it was wet, there was a sharpness that i associate with apricot in it, but i never smelled it as it dried...

it's got lemon or lemon verbana in it. the scent loves me like none other and dominates as usual. as it's drying, there's something woody astringent coming out that reminds me of an old witch hazel astringent i used to wear, but the lemon is still very present. none of the florals or lavender others have mentioned.

Previously reviewed by hypothermya, with coffee spoons and harlequin.

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct. Each bottle is numbered, and comes with a small parchment certificate.

chaos 15

holy mother of fruity sweetness! circus peanuts.. i think there may be some lotus in there, because there's an edge of bubble gum pinkness that lotus likes to bring to the party. there's vanilla in the back, but the pinkness overwhelms it.

Previously reviewed by Red_Hot_Mama, hypothermya, with coffee spoons and harlequin.