Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amberbella

Chaos Theory

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, an exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct. Each bottle is numbered, and comes with a small parchment certificate.

chaos 17

softly lemon, aquatic, slightly floral. i like this one the best of the 6 chaos theories now in the package, though #111 still has my love. my my my ... i don't think i've ever liked a lemon scent like this - but then, i don't think any of the lemons have been so lightly beautiful (as i said in my #95 review, lemon tends to overwhelm everything else and take over). this is actually what i thought june gloom would smell like - and if it had, i would've kept my bottle :P

Previously reviewed by supasonicsage, hypothermya, with coffee spoons and harlequin.

Part of Chaos Runs Amuck, courtesy of our favorite penguin. :D

Chaos Theory XVII

In the vial: Sweet aquatic lemony florals. Eh? My nose is really confused.

Wet: Well, there's cedar in this because that's what first comes out when it touches my skin. Then the lemon comes out. I hope my skin chemistry doesn't mess this up.

Drydown: I think there's cucumber in this and I can smell the florals. It's faintly aquatic on me, but not much. It's the lemon note that's confusing me. I've never tried anything with lime in it so I don't know if that makes a difference, but it's not sweet like lemon verbena is on me and it doesn't turn to that weep-worthy insect repellent on my skin like regular lemon does. I'm... I'm very confused. I don't know what it is.

Final thoughts: This is a soft, lemony aquatic floral. I think it's appropriate for spring and summer; it's definitely a warm weather scent on me. I don't think it's something I'd prefer to wear myself, but I think lots of people could fall in love with this, even people who have skin issues with lemon.

Edited: Because I forgot to put down which one this was. :P

Previously reviewed by supasonicsage, hypothermya, with coffee spoons, harlequin and quantum spice.

Part 2 of Chaos Runs Amuck.

Chaos Theory XCV

In the vial: Floral vanilla? There's a sweetness I associate with vanilla, but I'm not sure if it's floral I'm smelling or something else.

Wet: I'm fairly sure there's vanilla in this, but I've never tried anything with tonka bean in it so if they do smell similar, it could be that. I also smell something vaguely medicinal along the lines of lavendar. It's faint though and very much in the background.

Drydown: The vanilla has become a base and on top of it is a slightly citrusy (possibly lemon, but if so, it's not the kind that turns to insect repellent on me) pine scent. I keep on sniffing my wrist to make sure that is what I'm smelling, but it's stayed true for the past hour so I guess that must be it.

Final thoughts: Apparently the Chaos Theories are all just going to confuse my nose. :P Mentally this scent conjures mental images of pine trees after a rain storm. I'm not sure why that over anything else, but there it is.

Previously reviewed by hypothermya, with coffee spoons, harlequin and quantum spice.

Part 3 of Chaos Runs Amuck

Chaos Theory XXII

In the vial: Florals. I'm not quite sure what kind, but florals.

Wet: For a minute -- for a short, OMG, NO! minute -- I thought I got a whiff of night-blooming flowers. If anyone remembers my past experiences with night-blooming flowers, they'll understand why. I'm not sure if my nose was playing tricks on me though because it's immediately overtaken by a bubblegummy scent that I associate with lotus and that's all I can smell.

Drydown: Lotuses, I think, but it's not as bubblegummy sweet as it tends to be on me. It's still bubblegum, but different if that makes any sense. It's actually a little creamier, so I'm not sure what else is in this. I know there's something else, but I'm unable to identify it.

Final thoughts: I really like this one. It's a very cozy, slightly candyish, slightly creamy blend.

Part 4 of Chaos Runs Amuck.

Chaos Theory XXXII

In the vial: Delicate florals and...bananas?!?! That cannot be right. After I sniffed it again, convinced that my sense of smell was whacked, I smelled pears. I think the florals and the pears together confused my nose enough to make me think I was smelling bananas.

Wet: Hello sandalwood!

Drydown: There's definitely sandalwood in this, but it's of the white variety. It says hello, lingers around, and then fades into the background. This is a very nice, crisp pear scent. It blends nicely with the sandalwood. I wish I could identify what the flowers are, but they don't come out all that much on me, compared to the other notes.

Final thoughts: I'm jealous that Quantum Spice has the bottle of this! :D It's yummy pears over sandalwood with just the barest hint of florals. It's a perfect scent for spring or summer. I'm very glad I had the chance to try this.

Two more Chaos Theories to go! :P

Part 5 of Chaos Runs Amuck.

Chaos Theory XV

In the vial: Bananas and coconut. It reminds me of a Filipino dessert that I just cannot name at the moment.

Wet: ...Bananas and coconut? This does remind me of a banana cream pie.

Drydown: If there is lotus in this, it doesn't really come out on me. It's not bubblegum. But it could be blending with something else to make that banana smell. The vanilla (tonka bean? I obviously have problems telling these two notes apart since I've never tried anything that definitively has tonka bean yet) adds a creamy background over which the coconut and banana play.

Final thoughts: YUM!

Previously reviewed by Red_Hot_Mama, hypothermya, with coffee spoons, harlequin and quantum spice.

Part 6 of Chaos Runs Amuck.

Chaos Theory XLVIII

In the vial: Lemony florals.

Wet: Gardenias and lemon. I almost want to say there's some night-blooming flowers in here, but without fail, my skin amplifies those notes and that's exactly how my arm smelled in the first few minutes of application.

Drydown: Very floral. The lemony note is softer now and it's definitely creamier. I don't think this is vanilla, so maybe this is what tonka bean smells like?

Final thoughts: I didn't get lotus at all. No tell-tale bubblegum. To be honest, I didn't really care for this on me, but if you like smooth, creamy florals, this could be for you!

Addendum: Dang it. I think there might be night-blooming flowers in this after all. I'm starting to get a headache, and that's the only note so far that consistently gives me one. Bah.

EDITED: Fixed UBB code.

Previously reviewed by paperdoll, hypothermya, with coffee spoons and quantum spice.

Chaos Theory XXXII - received from Quantum Spice

First impressions.. Sandalwood, floral fruit?.. I can see why Inkstone thinks banana--almost banana but not quite (it's on the tip of my tongue…)

Right off, I'd describe it as a cool, musky floral.

On, the fruity note all but disappears, resulting in a light floral with sandalwood undertones. I can barely detect it on my wrist. This blend seems to stay very close to my skin--not wafting much at all; however, Mike complimented the bit I applied to my hairline. He likes light scents.

I'm cold right now, so I look forward to seeing if the scent blooms with warmth.

This is a very, very nice scent. Thanks for sharing Quantum Spice :P

At long last I am reviewing the Chaos Theory that the lovely Oceandessa decanted for me a couple months ago. I can't believe I never reviewed it because I dearly love it!

This is a decidedly spicy blend: clove and cinnamon burst out of the imp as soon as I open it! However, this is gentle and smooth in spite of all the spiciness. If I had to compare it to an oil from the catalogue, I would say that the wet stage reminds me of Mercury, with more clove and less cinnamon. Lovely :P

As it dries down, the spices mellow a little bit. There definitely is more clove than cinnamon in this blend, with a base that could be musk.

While the wet stage was markedly Christmassy, reminiscent of pot-pourri and mulling spices, the drydown is more understated and has more of an Asian feel to it. I am beginning to wonder if there could be star anise in it.

For such a spicy scent, this wears remarkably smooth and light. A chaos masterpiece! :D

Chaos Theory XVII (decanted by the lovely hypothermya)

Initial Sniff: Everyone else is saying lemon, but I'm gonna be a rebel and say grapefruit. This is Shattered without the mint, Queen of Diamonds without the strong floral element. This is lightly floral, lightly herbal, and lightly citrus. Oh, ok... it might be lemon verbena, but I still say grapefruit.

Wearing: This is a very light, fresh scent. The grapefruit stands out on my skin in all of its bitter citrus glory. This fades so quickly - I don't really feel like we've spent enough time together to form an opinion.

Final Impressions: I like this, but I don't love it. It is a very summery blend.

Previously reviewed by supasonicsage, hypothermya, with coffee spoons, harlequin, quantum spice and inkstone.

Chaos Theory LXXXVIII

Origin:

I got an imp of this from cluna. :D

First sniff:

Oh, God...butterscotch! This is like Grog's predecessor right out of the imp. It's pure, rich, gorgeous butterscotch and nothing else. I'm sure there must be something else in here or else it wouldn't be a random combination...unless it's a random combination of butterscotch and more butterscotch. :D

Wet on skin:

Whew, this stuff is potent! I only put on a tiny dab, but I smell like I'm slathered in butterscotch syrup. This is still pure, rich butterscotch and it reminds me quite a bit of Grog in its wet stage...this is Grog mixed with English toffee ice cream syrup and in spite of my aversion to sweet scents, I'm in love.

Dry down:

The longer this is on, the sweeter and richer it gets. It's changed from butterscotch to English toffee syrup now and it just so happens that that's my one sweets weakness apart from white chocolate. This really appeals to the side of me that wants to be more frivolous and less earthy.

The bottom line:

This is definitely a keeper! I wish I had the whole bottle instead of just an imp! :P

Previously reviewed by astrid.

Chaos Theory XX

Origin:

I was gifted with an imp of this by the ever wonderful Allamanda. :D

First sniff:

Mmm, Pam certainly knows me taste in perfume! This is right up my alley! This is rum, pure and simple, like I just opened a bottle of Captain Morgan's and took a big ol' whiff. I love, love, love the smell of rum. This is gorgeous!

Wet on skin:

I love how this Chaos Theory is labeled XX and it smells like booze. For some reason, that strikes me as really funny (no, I haven't been drinking, I swear!). :P

On me, this is more like spiced rum than plain old dark rum like it was in the imp. This is almost exactly the same as taking a big old snoot of Captain Morgan's Private Stock...not that I've ever done that. :D

Dry down:

Softer and creamier than when it was wet, but still definitely rum. I think there's some sort of wood note in here, too, if I'm not mistaken, although I can't tell what it is...could be cedar or birch maybe. Whatever it is, it's lovely. Now it smells like the rum and the barrel it's aged in. I feel like a pirate wearing this. Yarr! :D

The bottom line:

I wish I'd been around for the Chaos Theories...every one I've tried has been utterly gorgeous in its own way and XX is no exception. It smells like rum and aged wood (oak, maybe?) and it might have been made especially for me, it's so perfectly suited to my tastes. :D

Two months late is better than never, no?

I've never actually tried to review anything before - I'm really bad at distinguishing smells - but here goes:

Chaos Theory LXVII

In the bottle, it smells dark and rich. It brings memories of hottubbing at night in the rain, with a glass of red wine and a clove cigarette.

On me, IT BURNS! OH how it burns!! But it smells so gooooood!!! It loses the some of the rain, and smells more like a wet spring night, maybe jasmine?

As it dries, it gets darker and... earthier? like in the woods at night after a rainstorm.

LATER: Still it burns, but it just keeps smelling better. It got darker, and maybe a little... resin-ey? It vaguely reminds me of Blood. *SIGH* I really wish I knew how I could wear this without it hurting.

Gave the bottle to a friend, on whom it smelled sweet and just a touch floral, like a sunny spring morning.

LXXXIII

Also reviewed by grrrlennyl, cuervosueno, and fairywingmaker.

Fruity! Banana, pineapple, cherry, with a hint of strawberry Twizzlers. Then bubblegum! ...and anise. Anise is kind of a deal-breaker. At first, I can imagine that it's part of the bubblegumminess, but it's relentless. I'm so disappointed, since this started out so nice!

LXXX

Also reviewed by xoe, who passed an imp to grrrlennyl, who passed it on to me.

Very sweet, I thought I smelled cherries, and maybe I do, but this mostly reminds me of my beloved Tamora. I think there's honeysuckle and amber, with something dry and powdery underneath. This is very pretty and I'm glad I got to try it.

Chaos Theory XI

Also reviewed by grrrlennyl, who graciously sent an imp my way.

I feel foolish because something in this smells very familiar, yet I can't think of what it is. I can't pick out any notes. It's just soft and warm and slightly green-floral. There's something in the back that almost gives the impression of chocolate, though it doesn't really smell like chocolate. Maybe tobacco? It's very comforting.

Chaos Theory LXXXIX- Just got this bottle from Stephanie. :P

This one is oddly wonderful. Honestly, my first impression was puzzlement. I could not comprehend it at all. My brain was like, "Wha?" There's some kind of contrast here that one wouldn't quite expect. It's strongly fruity at first like the way that Hollywood Babylon is, but this goes much deeper underground. It's rich and dark, tart and tangy, fruity and sweet, musky and smoky, sexy and exotic. It's even savory and buttery! Somehow I'm getting buttery shortbread soaked in a fruity red syrup. There's the softest, sexiest musk imaginable surrounding it. I think of the velvety musk of Morrocco. And lastly, a smokiness that I would compare to burning driftwood. It's such a wisp of pure, white smoke, but it's there. Wouldn't be at all surprised if the sexy sweetness of honey was in there somewhere. It stays strong in presence , but becomes soft in it's existence. I am addicted to this smell!!!! I hope for another round of Chaos.

Chaos Theory XXXII

Out of the bottle, this smells so familiar, as others have said, like bananas, but in a way, like sweet smokey bananas. (?) Verrry floral undertone, smells like night blooms growing in the sunny tropics.

Ahh...after about half an hour it mellows down and gets much sweeter, almost honey like, and the banana has all but vanished and been replaced by sandalwood.

I love this! It doesn't turn to powder in the least, and the nots have such a dichotomy that they harmonize together beautifully.

Previously reviewed by quantum spice, inkstone and kimmer.

Chaos Theory XXVIII

To me, this smells likeSugar Cookie with rum added, and minus the strong cinnamon note. I smell butter and vanilla, but sadly, like Eggnog, one of the nots is making it turn into an odd plasticky smell on my skin. gifted this imp to a friend, hopefully it will smell like the bakery goodness in the imp on them!!

Previously reviewed by fragrantgrasse and Azrhiaz.

I just got the chaos run amuck swap so I'm planning to edit this as I try them to add on to my reviews...

I tried one labeled 22 (so I gues thats XXII) today and though it smelled wonderfully floral in the bottle... by the time I drove to work (about 30mins) it was pure powder :P

more to come...

Previously reviewed by inkstone.

Chaos LXXXII

In the bottle: Pure sugar. Sticky sweet (from my head, to my feet yeah!). Wow, it's like a big cherry lollipop...

On me: It reminds me a lot of jailbait, without the perfume, which never really came out on me anyway. It's sugary and super cherry... I feel like I spilled some cherry kool aid on me or something.. but it smells sooooo good. I want to lick my arm.

One thing I did notice about this is that it faded rather quickly.. but was quite strong in smell when first applied. :/ I like though! It's very sweet and cute.

Previously reviewed by silverangel.

CHAOS THEORY LXXVI (76)

smells like sandalwood, lavander, a touch of mint, and something sweet that i can't place, it became sweeter as it dried but i still can not place what exactly the sweetness *is* yummy either way

Previously reviewed by Nadirah.

Chaos Theory XXXII

Origin:

I got an imp of this from kmasden. :P

Preconceived notions:

I believe this was described as fruity and floral with some sandalwood, so I'm curious to see if I like it or not since I love sandalwood but don't normally go for fruit or florals.

First sniff:

Pears! This smells absolutely, 100% like the pears that the people down the street used to grow when I was little. I get a sudden image of trying to fnd fallen pears that hadn't already been claimed by the wasps and yellowjackets because I couldn't reach to pick it. This is really pretty even though I don't normally like fruit scents.

Wet on skin:

Hmm, this isn't all pear now...there's definitely some sort of florals in here, too, although I'm at a total loss to name them. Florals aren't my forte, unfortunately. It's not too floral, which is good, but it's just enough to keep this blend from being one-dimensional. I like this a lot, surprisingly. :D

Dry down:

The pear is the dominant note again, with the florals taking a far backseat. I'm starting to smell what could very well be the sandalwood I was hoping for, although it's not quite clear yet...if I had to say what kind of sandalwood, I would say the white variety without hesitation. This definitely isn't red mysore sandalwood. I have a feeling that it's going to get stronger the longer it's on my skin.

The bottom line:

Another gorgeous Chaos blend. I haven't tried a single one yet that I didn't love. :D

Previously reviewed by quantum spice, inkstone, kimmer and Jasminepearls.

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct. Each bottle is numbered, and comes with a small parchment certificate.

chaos theory CXIII
in the bottle this smells sharply of cleaning fluid?

on it becomes more herbal, although herbal w/ a bite i think there is a hint of floral here too, possibly jasmine, but there is also something going very cleaner like on me.