Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Lightning

Lightning slashing the midnight skies over the endless reaches of the ocean. The electric tang of ozone, marine notes, and a drop of sharp rain.

In imp: ozone and a white floral.

Wet: ozone and marine notes.

Top notes: Dryer sheets.

Middle notes: ooh, now we're getting somewhere. Ozone and salt air over dryer sheets.

Base notes: back to dryer sheets.

It's not a bad scent, but all I can think of now is that SNUGGLE BEAR sketch from Mad TV.

In the bottle: Sharp, indeed. And there's something I want to describe as acidic/citrus, but is probably the ozone (hard to describe, that one). I wasn't sure what to think of this one at first.

On the skin: Not quite as sharp on the skin. The lemony-ozone tang is quite strong, but somehow quite attractive, like the scent of the air before a really big storm rolls through. Or after it, when the world is drenched, clean and fresh. It's really a lovely scent, unlike anything I've used in perfume.

Verdict: I wasn't sure I'd like this when I first tried it, because it was a complete departure from everything else I'd liked up to that point (mostly foodie scents). However, when I spent the drive home with my wrist held to my nose, I knew I had to order a 5ml bottle that very evening. It doesn't last more than 4 or 5 hours on my skin (but I don't put on much) so I carry around a decanted imp to reapply when needed. It always gets positive reactions.

In the bottle: Rather fruity, floral and tangy ozone, nice.

Wet: Same as in the bottle, slightly citrusy ozone.

Drydown: I get air, all of a sudden, as if I've opened the window to a garden. I also smell lemon rind, which is a very pleasant and natural scent, and flowers... I wonder what flowers, possibly peony, because it smells like rose with a bit of an icy greenness to it, like in Peony Moon.

Overall: It's cool, a little citrusy without being violent lemon (more like grapefruit, really), and airy, with hints of frozen flowers. Very evocative, though I'm not sure it evokes a lightning bolt - but it does evoke mist. The ozone floats away very fast, which is a good thing, it stops the blend from smelling too aggressive. It's actually peaceful and pretty, a lovely aquatic.

Wooo, very ozoney. Slightly salty, kind of a weird twang to it. This isn't the kind of scent I would wear as a personal fragrance, but it is the sort of scent I would use for a linen spray. It smells clean and fresh.

Lightning

Very clean in the bottle. To be expected.

Clean on also. I get more sharp than "laundry" but it's nice nonetheless.

For special moods.

Lightning

In the bottle: lemon

On me: At first lemon. Then it becomes rain or the scent that precedes rain. I thought that it would be wonderful to smell like rain, but this is very strong on me. It reminds me of air freshener. Maybe I should try to use it as a home scent. I will have to check into how to do this. Because it is actually very beautiful, just very dominant on my skin.

Lightning - At first, it smells exactly like the air right before a summer storm is about to let loose. But after just a couple of minutes, Lightning becomes bitter, acrid, tangy, and sour, and within 30 minutes has made me nauseated and light-headed to the point where I have to wash it off and give it up.

In the vial: Mmmm, a fresh rain.

On me: This is such a perfect scent. At the beginning it's very light, like a rainshower, and then gets darker and darker and evokes the image of the sky filling with grey clouds. Finally, it warms up to the point where it smells just like it does here after a hard storm.

Verdict: Absolutely fantastic. Yeah, I'd like a bottle of this, too!

Rating: 5/5

The boy told me recently that he loves the smell of thunderstorms. I realized I had an imp of Lightning sitting in the "to try" box, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Wet, on the wand and on my skin, this does remind me of the smell of rain and a thunderstorm. It's a very crisp, clean scent, appropriate for hot weather.

As it dries, I am reminded distinctly of Dirty. Most people say that Dirty smells like dryer sheets; not to me, but Dirty is also not a favorite.

Lightning, on the other hand, does smell like dryer sheets, to me. Just like 'em.

In the imp - Salty, a touch of sweetness but barely there. This is a rainstorm in a bottle.

Wet - I had this on one hand and Tempest on the other to compare. This is a foreboding rain, when you see the dark clouds piling up and know it's going to be a doozy! It's not sweet and I want to test this on my husband. Nothing dryer-sheetish about this!

Dry - Sweetens just a bit over time. Compared to Tempest, this is darker, more masculine, and without the sense of being near the sea.

I really like this. It's a cousin to Tempest and I can't decide which I like more. Whereas that one is a heavy rain by the sea, this is a thunderstorm about to begin.

I usually love clean, crisp scents like this... and in the bottle, this was divine. Right up my alley. But my body chemistry has the amazing ability to turn ANY SCENT into powder. So when this dried, it smelled like soap. Straight-up soap. Ivory soap. Smelling like soap is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's pretty disappointing that it morphed so drastically on my skin. I might use the rest of the Imp but I definitely won't be ordering a bottle of this. Shame, too, because I love the way it smells in the bottle. It is exactly as the site described it.

This is wet and clean and smells like a rainstorm at the ocean. This is what I'd want to smell like right after a shower. Incredible!

salty sea, ozone and i smell rose too...reminds me of moonrose, actually, a lot. but mixed with ozone - it's very strong on me. i don't respond all that well to ozone, it's always a bit too "cologne-y/perfume-y" for me, too intense or something. i do think it captures this "bracing" quality of the sharp flashes of lightning in a summer storm, tho, and it's a well-done scent, but not really my thing.

In imp: White flower explosion.

On, wet: Lemony floral. Smells nothing at all like what I associate with lightning.

Near drydown: Gack. Argh. Flowers, lemon, salt, and something very weirdly nauseating underneath.

Drydown: Airy floral, but still with a trace of something disgusting that I can't quite put my finger on.

This imp will go to my daughter, who did not inherit her mother's stupid skin chemistry.

wayyyy too ozoney for me, but i thought i'd give this a try anyway since it sounded so intriguing. it's very perfumey on me and smells very plantlike as well as the ozone. something in it goes a bit sour on my skin too.

This scent smells excatly like I thought it would. Very marine-like. It smells a lot like the estuaries that are near the house where I grew up (not salty enough to smell like ocean, which is good!). I really like this, but I don't think I'll ever get a bottle since I don't go for ozone scents regularly.

If you do love ozones, though, this is a must try, in my opinion.

This scent smells excatly like I thought it would. Very marine-like. It smells a lot like the estuaries that are near the house where I grew up (not salty enough to smell like ocean, which is good!). I really like this, but I don't think I'll ever get a bottle since I don't go for ozone scents regularly.

If you do love ozones, though, this is a must try, in my opinion.

My first attempt with a marine scent. And it doesn't suit me at all. I swiped on a dab across my forearm and I am getting intense waves of washing powder/household cleaner wafting at me. I've had it on about half an hour and I think I'm going to have to wash it off as its far too intense.

I really liked the idea of a rain storm by the beach but my goodness, this smells of unnaturally man-made chemicals rather than the natural scent of wet sand and pouring rain. :P I guess me and marine/ozone/aquatics just don't work

In the vial this is a rather masculine oceanic scent that gives the feeling of strength and power. On my skin this is still an oceanic scent, though it starts to get a sweet note underneath it all – yet it still reminds me of a scent that would be perfect on a man because the sweetness isn’t overpowering, it’s just making the tang more pronounced. After a couple of hours on my skin, this is a soft blend of something like salt water behind a soft, gentle sweetness...

This smells like bathroom spray to me; there's nothing else to it. The throw was WAY too strong. I only applied it to one wrist, and it had more throw than Lion on *both* wrists and *both* ankles. o.o;

That said, I do like this scent after it fades a lot. I would wear it in diluted form, perhaps spritzed on my clothes, but I wouldn't wear this straight as a perfume.

Both airy and aquatic. Overall I enjoy it but there's a sharp note in it that I can't identify. I think I'll have to pass although I like that it's both light and strong.

I had a feeling that, by the name alone (description aside) this one would smell aquatic. I wasn't wrong (I know, I'm brilliant :P

I really like this one a lot. I tend to go for the cleaner, light smells, and this is certainly one of those. It has a faint edge to it so it isn't predictable. Made my "favorites" bag :D

Not my Imp, so this'll be a quickie review:

On me, it smelled like the ozone of Jolly Roger without the salt, rum and wood: fresh, bright, sharp, high and a little bit perfumey. Beautifully evocative but sort of shrill for my taste (white floral and maybe a touch of lemon as well?) and, since I have my bottle of JR, I don't feel any pressing need for this. I can see how fresh scent lovers would adore it, though!

VERY aquatic. Don't know why I'm surprised though... lol. A clear, almost salty, ozone note that pulls through and brings with it a massive deluge of a cool, tangy (almost citrussy) aquatic. Almost reminescent of those quiet moments before the storm strikes... it's very close, just missing a little something.

wet: ozone/aquatic, with a slight floral undertone

Dry: oddly enough, this is a bit better than I remember. It isn't quite as sharp, and there's a bit of a floral/clean aroma from it. A bit like hyper-clean laundry. I don't think this is something I'd wear on my skin, but I think it might make a nice room or linen spray!

My first aquatic.

I had to pass this one under my nose several times and hold it there, as this scent is so light, to me. I smell sugared air and rain, cooled and condensed as liquid; sweet, mild color of sky as storm clouds gather, tinged electric bruise pastel. Good water free of pestilence, roiled by by heavenly agitation.

On, there's practically no throw to this oil-- just a lovely, cooling skin smell, which feels good... and I suspect would be great on a hot day. There's the low crackle of sparking ozone, clean white brightness of aerial electricity, relief and smooth glassiness after the tempest has passed. This is a peaceful, airy scent.

At its fullest drydown, the ozone went a bit too far into "hair-spray" territory, so this one isn't a keeper.

CP from my LJ, dated 2 Sep 2006