Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Lightning

Lightning slashing the midnight skies over the endless reaches of the ocean. The electric tang of ozone, marine notes, and a drop of sharp rain.

Imp: Aquatics and ozone.

Wet: Pretty true to the scent in the imp. I get a bit of a smooth lemon rind scent over the aquatics and ozone. Reminds me of the lemon note from White Rabbit.

Dry: Simple, clean and somewhere between pretty and soapy. I get a definite hit of soap/drier sheet and there isn't really enough to keep it interesting for me. It does smell incredibly clean and light. Like clean cotton straight out of the drier. It's not particularly compelling to me but it is very unobtrusive and professional.

Throw: Light.

Overall: Eh. I think it's a pretty scent and it seems to work well on my chemistry but it simply doesn't jibe with my taste. Definitely a must try for those who like light, clean aquatics with no florals or sweetness. Edited by paperrose

Mmmm... this is a gorgeous summer storm. It starts off almost like a cologne, because the ozone is so sharp, but it settles into something exciting and cool, with a citrus overtone and perhaps even a faint white flower that sweetens it up. It's, um, pale, but also very electric. I love it!

Edited by obsidienne

tons of ozone but with a bit of salt..

smells like the beach and you're sniffing the salty air of it all..perhaps those are the marine notes that im catching?

either way --- not something i'll try again.

Smells just like a sour sharp storm on the horizon only if you are looking for it. Smells too much like floor cleaner and detergent to wear or use.

This is a wonderfully clean smell on me. I get compliments every time I wear it. If you like storm-on- the-beach scents, give it a try!

~~lightning~~

shoot, i wish i got storm, or rain clouds or rain coming.....all my nose smelled was febreeze. dang dang dang.

Edited by pseedie

Another thumbs down... Lightning starts off fresh and clean but develops a bit of a sour edge on drydown. It DOES remind me of dryer sheets. Sort of.

In the bottle: Ozone and marine scents.

Wet: A sharp tang, like the ground just before a spring storm

After five minutes: I don't know. It went sort of sweet? That might be the lemon, I tend to morph that sweet.

After 20 minutes. Light spring rain.

I really like this scent, but almost on someone else. It's nto me, although I think I'll keep the imp for summer.

In the Bottle: lightning in the bottle is a light energetic twist of marine notes, with a hint of a floral that I just can't identify.

Wet: marine and ozone notes mingling with the light hint of rain

Drydown: chlorine pool water, a clean note, and a hint of floral still. The throw is decently strong at this stage.

Further Changes: phew, little morphing, still unfortunately the same :(

Overall: I do not like the aquatic/marine note in this; it goes straight to chlorine pool water. Bleh. Too bad since this is really rather pretty initially. I guess I'll just stick with Abe Sapien and Water Phoenix.

I'm not a huge ozone fan but this is okay. It's ozone, with a watery vibe, it's unisex and not something I can see myself reaching for.

Swaps pile.

It's good and clean and fresh Tra La La...

Ozoney~Spicey~Aqua Goodness. Faint hint of citrus???

The more it dry's on my skin the more sweet it gets. I think I really like this. It reminds me of a cool day at the beach!

Very nice! I've only recently discovered how much I like ozone, and this is oil for me. Fresh, ozone-charged and watery. I'm mostly using it up until my bottle of The Stormhold comes in ;) It's very airy, not at all grounded but in an interesting way. It's a smell so light and clean it seems a miracle it sticks to you but, it does. Love it. Would always buy more.

My imps off Lucy arrived today and the first one I tried was this.

It reminds me of something, but for the life of me, I can't remember what! It's settled nicely on my skin and is quite aquatic, yet strangely warm. If you can imagine those final few moments before the storm hits, then this is what Lightening is on my skin.

I rather it like, but not enough for a bottle.

In the Imp: citrus, slightly bitter (combo of grapefruit and orange?)

Wet on Skin: bitter citrus, powerful

While Drying: bitter citrus, powerful

After a Little While: getting a dryer sheet effect - no lightning effect

Later: calms down & mellows eventually, still mediocre; later still: back to a muted, bitter cirtus note

Final Thoughts: lasts longer than Baobhan Sith, but not as nice a citrus smell

Lightning earns a 3/5 on my skin.

In the imp, this is a tangy aquatic, vaguely reminiscent of Szepasszony. On my skin, it continues to be a pretty tangy aquatic. We'll see what it does. Ends up somehow becoming a citrusy aquatic. Not quite for me.

Edited by Venneh

I get a sharp, lemony scent in the bottle with slight aquatic underneath. On me, though, this is all ozone with only a weak aquatic note in the background. It's definitely a fresh and clean scent, but I'm thinking that BPAL's ozone notes are something else I should avoid. In every blend I've tried them in, the ozone ends up smelling really artificial. It's a little too antiseptic on me to really like it, and my boyfriend says it gives him a headache, so to the swap pile it goes.

:::LIGHTNING:::

There seems to be a fairly large sentiment out there that voices big time discouragemnet for all things Ozone in the realm of BPAL fragrances. For those of Us who are lifers in non-coastal regions of Southern California as well as other arid climes, this can seem perplexing.

Lightning induces a time-warp back to some of the earliest formative memories; of staring through the window screen, curtains billowing in to buck and ripple, parallel with the ceiling... The purple-grey thunderheads, smooshing fat together and dragging their bellies across jagged tops of the rock formations near Eagle Mountain (just NorthEast of Joshua Tree).

Lightning happens, both as radiant cracks and as the whole of the sky going snowball-white for just a tick.The BOOM is immense; saurian prehistoric. The wind picks up and seems to fill the whole world like an invading army.Just before the first drop smacks the dust from the stone, there is this smell of what it must be like to breathe underwater...

Lightning is a thrill of a fragrance.

Lightning is the Deification of rage, yet Lightning is unmistakably hallowed and pure.

The sparkling punch of Ozone in Lightning is like a bowstring twang of adrenaline, thundering alongside your galloping heart.

Lightning reacts with the skin with a hypodermic swim upstream, and it reintroduces itsself by precipatating from every pore...

You fill up a room like a storm fills the sky...

Spectrally, Lightning is Slate, Seafoam, Grey, Violet, Fluorescent-White, and Crystal-Clear.

Lightning is a beautiful androgen that sweeps across the room without it's feet ever touching the floor.

Divine.

5/5.

BPAL has done it again...

This was a frimp from the Lab, and sadly, it's going to get given away or swapped. I usually don't do well with ozone blends, so I didn't have my hopes up too high for this one, but I've found a few that I can wear and so there was a chance Lightning might work on me. Alas, no such luck.

It starts out smelling like Sprite or 7Up or some other lemon lime soda, then morphs into lemon-scent laundry detergent. So far, not bad, but not something I adore either...

And then disaster strikes. This turns, after about fifteen minutes, into something that is just awful on me. It makes me a little queasy, and if I had more of it on, it would probably give me a headache--I can feel that little twinge in my head that hints at an impending one. I can't place it--it doesn't smell like anything recognizably "bad" like garbage or poo or dirty socks or anything--it just smells wrong and sort of sick-making. Sorry Lab. :(

I ordered an imp of this because I wanted to try the lab's ozoney blend.

In the vial, it smells alright, but nothing special. Kind of like "ocean" scented Calgon stuff.

On, dry, it's definitely ozone, but smells laundryish, and not in the lovely Dirty laundry way. Cloying detergent. Still very much Calgon ocean or bathroom air freshener.

On the plus side, this isn't bad at all, it's just not good. The throw is good, so if you do like it, it'll wear well.

This smells nothing like a lightning storm to me. Although the first 10 seconds it was on, I did get an almost metallic scent that smelled sort of like the electricity in the air during a storm. It went away SO quickly though.

Lemony tart candy and ozone, ozone, ozone wet.

On dry down, I'm getting that laundry vibe complete with a tad of powder, some sweetness, some lemon-tartness. The sweetness makes it a very pretty, feminine perfume on me. I miss the ozone, though. I want to feel like I'm standing in the middle of a storm, but doing some pretty household chores.

A gift from the lovely Emera, the very first BPAL scent I tried -- and the rest is history. ^_^

In imp: A clean, tangy, watery scent. My first encounter with the scent I now know as ozone.

On skin: The same - clean, wet, tangy, humid, maybe a tad citrusy. Very simple, pure unadulterated ozone, bold and almost incisive in its simplicity. Quite light, but my skin seems to soak up any oil I wear and throw barely any scent, so this is normal for me. A friend could smell flowers in it, but I can't. (My scent memory is abysmal, however!)

Verdict: I adore Lightning; it got me enamoured with ozone. I never get any dryer sheets/powder/detergent -- it's beautifully wet, humid, and absolutely distinctive.

I got a chance to compare Lightning with some other ozonic BPAL: Archangel Winter is sweeter, more slushy with a definite snowy feel; Sea of Glass is virtually identical, maybe a bit gentler, more floral, less humid and intense; Thunderbird has a fresh pine/forest touch. But Lightning is still the quintessential ozone, and I think I'll always have at least an imp of it around. Love it!

First Sniff: Freshness with only a tiny hint of ozone.

Wet: It's very light and pleasant.

Dry: I was hoping for more ozone in this scent, but the fresh and light smell, which smells a bit flowery on me, was still nice. It smells like there might be lilies in this.

My Reaction: This is a very light and airy scent on me but it doesn't really remind me of the sky over the sea during a storm. Unfortunately, being a lighter scent, it fades rather quickly on me too. I liked it, although I was hoping for a heavier ozone note.

Rating 1-5: 3

This scent is refreshing and beautiful

It smells just like fabric softener with an aquatic note. Cozy, fresh, clean and comforting.

We've been having thunderstorms in this area for a while now and whenever I hear thunder and see lightning, I think of this scent. It's a storm in a bottle.

A 5ml bottle of this may just work it's way into my next BPAL order. ;)