Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Lightning

Lightning slashing the midnight skies over the endless reaches of the ocean. The electric tang of ozone, marine notes, and a drop of sharp rain.

I was very nervous about trying this one because I wanted to like it, but all the dryer sheets comments scared me. I HATE the smell of laundry detergent. Well, this didn't turn to laundry on me, but it was just.....odd. I was picking up an almost floral note with it for about half an hour and then it just disappeared. I have to press my nose against my wrist to smell anything. The tiny bit that stuck around smells a bit like the beach. Hopefully this isn't what's going to happen to me with all the ozone scents since I just ordered a ton of Yule decants and I will cry if the snow scents don't work on me. Okay scent, but I don't love it. Off to the swap pile.

imp: this smells like apple blossom / citrus rain. very light and crisp with a definite zing of something tangy.

wet: a super tangy aquatic. this is both strong and smooth. very unusual and interesting.

dry: this goes to a slightly softer aquatic that really doesn't lose it's zing, it just doesn't zap you from across the room.

Count me in with the "Dryer Sheets" camp... Lightning, I wanted to love you...

*Heartbreak*

I can't place the main note, but it smells like that wet/marine note in a lot of commercial perfumes. Close up to my wrist, I can occasionally get the smell of something harsh, kind of like the smell of pencil eraser rubbings. The whole thing smells vaguely floral to me (what a surprise) and wafts a whole bunch. I don't smell any ozone.

I don't often like aquatics, so I'm pretty surprised at myself. Lightning is clean with a sharp floral edge and if it were a color, it would be aqua. I'd keep my little imp, but every time I sniff at my arm, I get a missive from my sinuses saying "Don't you do this to us." Maybe I'll see if my grandmother wants it - she tends to like this scent group.

i am not an ozone person, but i really, really like lightning. it's fresh and clean and watery. i could easily see myself reaching for this on a really hot summer day- it has a really good throw, too!

LIGHTNING

This smells exactly like the charged air that comes just before a rainstorm. I smell rain, too, but this is more of a tingly, electric ozone scent. It has a clean, fresh, crisp scent that is almost sharp. It's very energizing.

Yowza! That's some heavy ozone. It's pretty thick, but clean, as if you were sitting on a porch, watching clouds gather and the air is humid. This is very lemony and I can totally see a guy wearing this. It also has a pretty strong throw, which I'm not used to with ozone blends. I really like this on my wrist, but I think it would be dynamite in an oil burner. This isn't exactly a big bottle scent, but I'll definitely be keeping the imp.

3.5/5

Lightning is another of my favorite scents. It is a very crisp, clean scent though I hesitate to use the word "clean" because in my head in brings to mind the idea of linen-type scents and Lightning definitely does not fall into that category. Instead, it has that crisp, waiting scent of a rainstorm-in-waiting as well as the electric promise that the air seems to hold just before it rains. This is very thankfully not a perfume-y scent (at least on me) and I love to wear it. It does tend to fade a bit faster than a few other scents that I have tried, but it still lasts for a decent amount of time during a day.

I gotta admit, even though Lightning was on my wishlist and I'm always overjoyed to be frimped anything from my wishlist, I had no idea how much I'd like this!

My first impression, in the vial, is that this is incredibly light and not anything exceptional. Incredibly clear, and almost, barely a hint of undefined citrus. This gets so pretty on my skin. It's cool, fluid, airy, and is that... cotton blossom? Something in here reminds me so much of cotton blossom. This is somehow the "cleanest" BPAL scent I've ever smelled, and has a euphoric affect on me. I picture myself stepping out of the shower in the early afternoon of a lazy spring day, slathering this on, wrapping myself in a fluffy blanket and sitting in the sun by an open window. So pretty, and reminiscent of my parent's house and childhood. It never gets soapy or high-pitched, and has exceptional throw and wear for such a crisp, clean scent. Although I hate to say it, I really can see where people get the immediate dryer-sheet thing, but it makes me sad. I wish everyone could feel the layers I feel from this.

It's not characteristic of the kind of scents I love, but I see a big bottle in my future someday.

IN THE IMP: I have absolutely no experience with aquatics, so bear with me. Smells like citrus and florals with a sharp tang that definitely makes me picture lightning. Very different from what I'm used to, I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would!

WET: Gets a bit saltier on my skin. Watery with some florals, and more of that "electric" smell. Nice!

DRY: A soft aquatic with florals, and a little of that electric scent. Crisp, clean, and fresh. A very blue scent. Makes me feel like I'm lounging on the porch of a beach house, and it's sunny but cool, and the breeze is tangy from the ocean. Very pretty.

Citrusy, watery, dryer sheets indeed! If this is your thing it's a very nice version of that thing, but I don't like the smell of dryer sheets even in dryer-sheet form (I have to seek out the unscented ones constantly). I'm not really picking up any ozone from this, oddly. Interesting blend, but very much not for me.

This is a very cool scent. I guess that's the ozone? I agree with those who say it smells a lot like commercial perfume, and it's not my thing at all. I prefer an aquatic with a little kick to it like R'Lyeh rather than something this simple and straightforward.

It smells like a bottled storm. It rains a lot where I live so I know what I'm talking about. I found very crisp and soothing, I put a little dab on one of my pillows before I nap.

In Imp: Mostly ozone and a touch of aquatic.

Wet: Smells like dryer sheets that have been doused in lemon pledge. Gah.

Dry: Over the course of half an hour this goes from smelling like various cleaning supplies to smelling like ozone with a tang of lemon. So it eventually ends up quite nice, and has proven to me that ozone does not always equal instant headache.

Throw: Light.

Overall: Interesting, but won’t be an every day thing.

In Vial: sweet water with tanginess and salt.

Wet: Stronger, sweeter, the tanginess is sharper

Drydown: As it dries it gets really sweet and may have some floral in it.

After trying several aquatic scents together (Lightning, Danube, and Tempest). I have discovered that Lightning has more of a bite to it than the others, more peppery.

Edited by gchris

Ozone, lemony, piercing and eyewatering and sharp, bordering on laundry detergent with sharp citrus.

Dont get me wrong, I love ozone scents but this was a bit too sharp and lemony so I got the dreaded laundry association. I was going to try it again in the heat of the next summer but ended up frimping it away in the meanwhile. Might give it an other try next June or August though, in the summer storm season. Fall and winter is just not the time for this.

In the bottle: Wow I can smell the electrified ozone!

Wet: Uh oh. This one seemed to be clashing with my skin's natural musk- almost smelled sour/salty

Dry: *sniffs* Heavenly!! It's like I've been dancing in a summer thunderstorm!! It takes some assimilation, but I FINALLY found a cool marine scent that smells good on me!!

Now I have to go buy a 5ml. An Imp will NOT Suffice!!

In the bottle it's a sharp, clear note with a bit of sharpness- my mum says that it's grapefruit, but I've never smelled one so I can't compare. I like it, anyway. It looks like the field outside my dad's house would, when lightning strikes right in the middle and my sisters and I are sitting on the porch. It's also the tension right between the lightning and the crack of thunder.

Wet it's got the same visual of the lightning in the field, but the tension's already fading away.

A few hours later I get a good whiff of the lightning when I move my hands, but (oddly enough) the tension and a bit of the rain itself hang around.

I wear this one a couple times a week; it goes with my shampoo smell, actually. I'll have to get a 5 mL eventually. =)

In bottle/imp: Lots and lots of ozone.

Immediately on skin: This reminds me of Irish Spring, or other soaps with that fresh spring scent claim. It’s very clean and crisp with a crackling ozone feel and an airy quality. It’s strong though… and it has a hint of warmth, which is interesting.

After a little while: This has smoothed a little on my skin… it’s become much more blended. It’s still all ozone and maybe a little hint of harsh rain on stone now. There’s something solid to the scent that wasn’t there before.

Overall Impressions: This is a great experience scent… it really does bring lightning strikes and wind swept rain on stones to mind. It’s very unisex and almost even on the masculine side. It was fun to try it, but it isn’t a scent for me.

In the bottle: This is kind of citrusy, tangy, and wet! And smells pretty nice... looking at a good start here. This along with the description makes it sound really intriguing.

Wet on skin: ACK! Really powdery and soapy. And really strong. Looks like my skin chemistry has doomed Lightning to be laundry detergent on me. It gave me that 'almost going to sneeze' pinch in my nose when I got too close to my wrist.

Dry: I'm just getting soap here. :C It's not as strong as it was earlier but I can't say I really care for it that much right now... Off to swaps, I guess, unless it grows on me later.

Edit: Oh dear, this was starting to give me a headache. :/ I washed it off; I guess I won't be keeping this one after all. D:

Edited by vulturekisses

In the imp: Oh hello there, sharp citrusy ozone. :P I don't know why I'm even trying this, ozone and citrus always turn into hairspray and furniture polish on me - if Dirty, Szpazzony, Zephyr, and Sea of Glass are any indication...

On my skin, this is decidedly more pleasant than I expected it to be, but I still don't really like smelling like lemons.

This is like Sea of Glass + lemons. I really liked Sea of Glass before someone told me it smelled like hairspray on me, so now I have that association with it. Actually this is pretty much the same scent as Sea of Glass on me (as I remember), minus whatever floral component was in that.

Pass. Not my thing at all!

Yes, definitely the smell of just laundered, still damp clothes. I don't mind that as much as most people seem to, but it's not quite what I was looking for. Reminds me of those "Spring Rain!" sort of air fresheners. So I suppose I smell pleasant, but it's not very intriguing. Wanted this to be... sharper, more electric and oceanic...

2.5 out of 5.

Reminds me very strongly of the stuff they put in washing powder to make your clothes smell fresh. I might have liked it otherwise but it just reminds me of laundry and artificial clothes smells.

Might be good if you need to make your clothes smell fresh and you haven't had time to wash them!

2/5

Not unpleasant but very laundry-ish.

I don't do ozones very much, and this scent is a perfect example of why. :P That fake air-freshener smell, with almost a lemony (?) edge to it. Lightning's got that sharp bite with none of the sensual satisfaction of a true thunderstorm... too bad.

(Note, I just tried Tempest too, and within the ozone category, I like it much better.)