Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Lightning

Lightning slashing the midnight skies over the endless reaches of the ocean. The electric tang of ozone, marine notes, and a drop of sharp rain.

Lightning in the bottle: Very clean and green. Slightly floral.

Wet: The green note is the most predominant. Cleanliness remains as does a very slight floral background.

Dry: The green note divides into distinct ozone and water. Floral scents offer sweetness.

Through a few hours: Scent remained the same.

Overall, I love it. It's clean and fresh, I'm definitely ordering more of this. Edited by Shollin

On imp: It smells like the white musk oil I bought ages ago from Body Shop. It's my favourite room oil, so I'm definitely pleased how this smells promising.

Wet: Same as in imp. I hope this scent lasts on my skin! I've read some of the reviews at how it disappears quite fast.

Dry: Not much change either. I'm wondering where the ozone/marine notes are because it all smells like white musk to me.

Around 5-10 mins later: I get a whiff of the marine scent, but it's fleeting. There one moment, gone the next.

Two hours later: Noooo. I can barely smell it on me now, and I have to put my wrist to my nose just to have a faint sniff of it. I wonder if it's just because I haven't lathered on enough (Midnight had the same effect until I made sure I had a lot on me); I'll try again when I'm not subject to sweltering heat and perspiring like mad.

This definitely smells like ozone. I wonder what beth uses to get that scent! I also get a very salty smell, a sea-like scent. Very light and aquatic, I like this one alot, but an imp will be all I need.

Sharp bite in Lightning! It's almost manly, but not quite. I can smell the charged water notes. It's very similar to Cathode, but lighter. There's almost a minty tingle, but it never fully develops.

I feel fresh and cool in Lightning. This has to be one of the best summer scents I've tried yet. The longer it's on me, the more I like it too since I seem to bring out a pale floral in Lightning. I would recommend this for people of the male persuasion as well.

When it comes down to it, Lightning is sexy.

I think this one is a boon to the fatigued nose. I've had sinus problems, lately, and have had trouble identifying anything more than the most dominant notes in scents :P . However, lightning was a flash of refreshing ozone that cut right through and woke me up!

Wet and drydown, I get mostly ozone. It's kind of a pick-me-up refresher, in this form. There's a little salt quality under the surface. As it dries, the aquatic notes come out, but still with a healthy dose of ozone. Dry, it balances out nicely, and is just a lovely refreshing summer scent. A good one for when you're feeling sweaty, fatigued, and blah. (If it's more complex than this, my slightly stuffy nose won't let me smell it. But it's great, just the way it is in my current state.)

Lightning really does smell of lightning! Amazing that Beth managed to bottle such a very elusive scent. The oil is subtle and unusual - it smells of ozone and a tiny amount of salt. Unsurprisingly, this is a clear, clean smell. It doesn't last very well on me - the scent has virtually gone after an hour or so. I do like Lightning, but not enough to buy a 5 ml. I'll keep my imp for those days when I need something very unusual and ozoney.

in imp: ozone and marine, really perks up the nose!

on wrist: That ozone is still waking up my sinuses, while the marine notes keep it from being overwhelming, there's also something floral lurking in the scent.

Overall a good scent for dreary days or other times I need a pick-me-up. A strong scent without being too intense.

I'm in an odd position when it comes to aquatics. They like me a lot, maybe a little too much, but I don’t much care for them. They aren't "me."

That said, I enjoy trying them even if I don't wear ozone or aquatic scents daily.

In the bottle: ozone and aquatic notes with a sharp green or citric tang.

On, it smells like "spring fresh" flavored laundry detergent, or the way laundry smells when it's been dried outdoors. Hardly a terrible smell, but one that's clean as a knifeblade, and just as cutting.

There's a tart salty note, the brine of the ocean I assume, which smells not unlike the usual "seaweed and dead bodies" flavor of "maritime" incense/hippie oil/foot scrub/what have you.

This note becomes stronger the longer it wears, until it's dominant. This is a dramatic, powerful scent, but very clean, very pure. It's very interesting, and I recommend it to those who like aquatic scents, or for those looking to try a good aquatic scent.

In the imp: Sweet, fresh and crisp marine note. Lovely.

On the wrist: Surprisingly this one doesn't immediately go funky on my skin. It stays pretty true to the in the imp scent, which I love, so I hope that continues. It gets a little heavier and sharper, but still the same scent. It reminds me of the beach! (Without the dead fish smell.)

Drydown: This turned... weird when it dried down, didn't keep the lovely notes, turned different. *shrug* It starts to smell more like the bathrooms at the beach. :P Off to the swaps.

FRICKEN FINALLY!

I've been searching for the perfect lightning scent and forgot to test this one for a while. I tested Thunder Moon, which is a bit softer, but Lightning...just wow. It's crisp and just a little aquatic without being sour or obvious. It reminded me of Bed of Nails, but when I wore them side by side, I could definately tell the difference.

What I really like about it is that it's not too aquatic and I don't detect any florals. Plus it stayed true on my skin. To me, it actually smelled like air and THAT was what I was seeking. It's mysterious and empty. Kind of the way Schwarzer Mond felt like emptiness to me, but of a different kind. SM was like oblivion whereas Lightning is like a wide open sky.

Okay, now i'm just rambling and wishing that I had put it on today.

In addition: I compared this to Tempest and found it to be similar. However, Tempest is "water" where as Lightning is "air." So if you like one, try out the other as well.

Edited by Teggy

Interesting one, this. Bought a bottle on spec, really just because I've never worn a perfume so themed before. Also I like fresh smells.

In the Bottle: Sharp and ozoney. Very fresh, very unisex.

On Skin: Mmm. Lemon, with a hint of ozone. Nice, but a bit like toilet cleaner!

Dry on skin: Lemon gently fading away, leaving a faintly lemony, crisp smell. Nose - tickly. Head - migraine developing.

Really not an unpleasant smell at all; very clean, but not me at all. Also had no throw, and I had to stick my nose right up to my arm to get the smell. Swapped already!

I'm testing this on my arm side-by-side with R'lyeh and The Deep Ones, as I ordered three aquatic scents with this past order. And let me say, I wouldn't notice this unless I were testing them all side-by-side: Lightning is considerably, well, lighter. It's brighter, clearer, like well... a streak of lightning. :P

It's very nice. It made me smile, actually... reminds me of a candle I once smelled.

Beth sent me this imp.ahh fresh ad dangerous, citrusy. Definately reminds me of the lightning before a downpour. I don't think I would were it much as a perfume but I will keep the imp for my collection of feel good scents.

Sweeeeeet. Sweet aquatic. Blech.

I think Beth's interpretation of "aquatic" tends to a) run towards "water" as opposed to "ocean", and :P tends to go sweet on me anyway, so I always find myself disappointed. Add that to a strange, Saltine-like note (not the salt, the actual cracker itself) and I just find myself 'meh' on a lot of these. Lightning is not for me.

I tried this one by accident. I was just out of the shower, and decided to sniff a couple of untried imps before applying one I'd already chosen (Persephone). After sniffing, I opened the bottle of Persephone (I thought) and swiped it across my wrist. I immediately thought "Wait a minute, this doesn't smell like rose!". I looked at the bottle and discovered that I'd actually applied Lightning!

Wet, my first thought was that it was way too masculine- it smelled like some sort of aftershave. I thought about washing it off, but I decided to wait until drydown to see if it morphed at all.

After drydown, it smelled exactly like rain. To be more specific, it smelled like the air smells when a thunderstorm is moving in after a long, hot, dry spell. I used to be a storm chaser in a hot, dry place, so the smell evoked a lot of memories and emotions.

I put it on shortly before bedtime, and that night I dreamed of the ocean. When I woke, I could still smell the rain scent on my wrists. I'm amazed that Beth managed to capture and bottle this scent so perfectly, but even more amazed at its staying power.

This is one of those scents I will always want to have on hand...but then again, I probably wouldn't actually wear it much. However, if I could find something more feminine to layer it with that would not kill its scent completely, I'd probably wear it a lot. I give it a 4/5.

This was a frimp from the Lab. Not on my wishlist, but sounds interesting!

In the imp: Cool, clear, wet. Not exactly electrical though...

Wet on me: Ahhh. Super-refreshing. This does smell like a rainstorm in a large garden or a grassy field. Quite sharp and tangy.

After five minutes: Something lemony begins to amplify. Now smelling like a rain-battered lemon tree. (Dang it, why do the rain/storm blends always smell lemony to me?)

Drydown: Crisp rain and a refreshing marine note, both sadly rather trampled by the lemon.

This would be really nice if it weren't so damn lemony. Probably for swaps. :P

Ah, this is lovely!

From wet to dry, this is a beautifully balanced ozone - light, wet and refreshing. It's got a summer rain feel, not cold rain.

This is what I'd hoped for with Tempest, but Lightening is the one! No florals to ruin my ozone lovin'. Barely-there lemon just drifting in the background like an afterthought.

Love it. My perfect ozone GC blend! :P

Not bad! I would think it would be awful, but it's coming out smelling nice on me. Definitely it has a sharpness to it.

Initial impression:

Like Tempest, I get the impression of a freshly split apple – the very scent of the juice when you cut it in two. Yummy and fresh!

First on:

The apple freshness almost goes a little citrus on my skin – indeed electric, cool and light.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it's really citrusy on me. And boy, it has some throw!

20-30 mins after application, it has softened to a more pleasant scent – very fresh, rainy and, yes, electric!

Finally:

The boyfriend will love this. :P

Having lived in desert areas quite prone to the monsoon season this is a very familiar scent! There is a touch of floral to this, but other than that it smells like a flash rain storm in the middle of spring. Very lovely and totally a keeper!

Also I might add, it reminds me a bit of Sea of Glass but without the saltyness.

In the imp: Pale, and sweeter than I expected it to be.

Wet: The sweetness died down, but it was kind of plasticky. Like the gel air fresheners my grandmother had scattered around her house when I was a kid.

Dry: Watery and a pale blue, it's a very mild scent that stays close to the skin. And I have to agree with the reviewers who said Lightning reminded them of Yankee Candle's Storm Watch ~ which I loved and has been discontinued.

It's not a bad scent, and in fact, on dry down it becomes something I really like... just not as a perfume. I'll probably keep the imp to use as a room scent and/or anointing candles though.

This smells like really high end soap. In a good way. It's oddly floral, but not overpoweringly so. It's also definitely sea smelling. It is reminding me of a beach house on the Jersey shore near Brigantine where I stayed with my Mother once. It was full of dried flowers, fancy soaps and toiletries, and the breeze blew fresh off the sea filling the whole house. It smells like something miladycarol would wear. I do like it, but it is soooo a woman's fragrance. Like Melepomene, it would smell Amazing on someone else.

First application: It's a bit sharp, just like lightning, but also reminds me of a tangy fruit or an over-sterile room or laundry detergent. Maybe I need to give it time to tone down.

after an hour: I found myself liking it very much. It did tone down quite a bit. It created a peaceful aura around me and I felt light and airy. I had expected more of an ozone scent, and was disappointed in that area, but overall I think it's a very pleasant scent.

6.5/10

All dryer sheets all the time.

I was so sad. I wanted to smell like rain and electrically charged ozone . . .and I got dryer sheets.