Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
hellomoonglow

Ether

Translucent blooms, ethereal white resins, and davana.

White floral and kind of sharp. I love davana, and can detect it in this.. but I think the flowers are taking over too much, and the white resins are either not teaming well with everything or are just very faint and undetectable. It was nice in the imp, but when it hit my skin, it was just too sharp for me. White flowers really enjoy amping on my skin to the point where I'm sneezing, and I'm pretty sure the blooms in this blend are white, because it is such a white scent.. but verging on floral dryer sheet kind of white. I'm afraid I'll have to pass this one on. Edited by Queen Mab

Ether is very pale. Light flowers and sort of ozone-y. But also watery? For some reason, water lilies keep popping into my head when I smell this. Definitely too light and floral for me.

In the vial: White resins. I know that sounds odd.

On the skin: It's almost a citrus, faintly lemon. It's a floral, but very light. It's turning to furniture polish on me, unfortunately.

In the imp, I'm getting a sharp sort of floral, almost citrusy. On my skin, this goes very citrusy very quickly, which confuses me just a bit. ...And now it's wood polish. >< Swaps.

Edited by Venneh

A frimp from the lab.

In the vial: ...lemon? A very pale, delicate lemon—pleasant except that I usually hate the scent of lemon.

On me: During drydown this is lemon, a light sweet floral, and the smoothness of pale resins. It reminds me of a lemon square but white and fluffy and not quite so foody: a opaque white but still ethereal scent. Within half an hour, much of the lemon dies off and the blooms become more prominent, pale but distinctly floral; the sweetness combines with the florals to be a bit cloying, and the scent becomes slightly muddied and faint. It's still pleasant though, sweet and airy, lemony, fresh, floral, more-or-less ethereal. Scent-color is white; throw is moderate-high, dying down to moderate-low.

Verdict: Pale scents and florals rarely work for me; I generally hate lemon. So it's something of a surprise that I find Ether quite pleasant. I like its earlier stages more, when the lemon scent keeps it fresh and the florals are gentle; the later, more floral stage is decent too, but not quite as light or distinct. Regardless, this isn't the scent for me. I imagine it's lovely in the summer, but airy lemony sweet floral scents will never suit me regardless of the time of year. I'd love to smell it on someone else, though. I'll trade away my imp.

I'm getting ozone here, although it's not a listed note. I have a relatively tumultuous relationship with ozone. We just don't like each other. The white blooms and davana are soft and pretty, but the ozone is edging them out.

Imp: I KNOW THIS SMELL! Is it Queen Anne's Lace? That sort of sappy/stem smell you get from... daisies? Mums? Definitely a florist shop scent.

Wet: Oh... my skin killed that pretty quick. Flat resins with a floral edge. Touch of ozone, maybe?

Dry: Boring. A light resins, a touch of unscented deodorant sort of scent and a little bit of sourness. Really falls flat and I am sad because it smelled so interesting in the imp.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: It has potential, just not on me.

Light, clean, ethereal indeed! It manages not to smell like laundry, or soap, or be sharp on me. Nothing really stands out distinctly, it's simply a light, slightly sweet citrus and air scent (and not ozone-y, because I can't do ozone), that gives me a lift. Bottle worthy!

In the bottle - A sweet, high pitched floral with a hint of menthol to follow

Wet on me - The florals are softer and less screechy, there's a lemony tinge now that makes the blend smell like lockets

Dry on me - A soft, slightly lemony floral

Overlla - Actually better than I expected; with a delicate softness to it, but noy really me

I am wondering what the "white resins" are because I get the same cheap hairspray note I disliked in Sugar Moon. It was a nice light scent so I slathered it on a bit to hide the scent of my sunscreen. Then I got to smell like White Rain hairspray all day. Icky.

I am going to try this on a day when I don't wear sunscreen, but I don't think it was the sunscreen messing with it. I hope not, because I did like the citrus/floral beginning.

Ether is really cold and white to my nose, a head-clearing floral. It's nice for a while, but then something goes a little off on my skin after an hour or so and I get something that reminds me of the perfume scratch-and-sniff in a book we had when I was little. Crazy sweet and synthetic. Scent memories are screwy things, eh?

Would have been a very pretty scent except for the skin chemistry weirdness.

That's very light and floating. There are a few flowers hanging in there, but mostly it's the air.

In the bottle: Watery, light floral, with a bit of a soapy smell.

On the skin: The soapiness disappears, and I start getting a daisy smell?

Dry down: It settled into a very pretty, soft and light floral.

Verdict: I don't normally like floral scents but this is very pretty and mellows into a soft flowery summer time smell.

:::ETHER:::

Ether is every bit as bright and volatile as its name implies. There had been an Imp of this that had come from somebody else's collection a long time ago, and the impressions from that one was nowhere near as favourable as this is.

This Ether is light, slighly floral, slightly Ozoney... There is this almost cinematic image of flying very low and very fast over a hilly field of wildflowers, and then suddenly rocketing straight up into the dazzle of the sun...

Ether is akin to a glass globe filled with luminous, lightning coloured gas; a swirling, magnesium-flash fog.One gets the impression here of the potentially extreme volatility of the substance that this formula is named after...

On the skin, Ether amps big-time, transforming into a fragrance that reacts with the tonsils at the same time that it's being detected by the nose... Assertively intense! You know you're in a close, intimate encounter with Ether.

Spectrally, Ether is brilliant white, pastel-green,and neon-turquoise.

Ether would be a great fragrance to wear to a masquerade ball if you plan to attend disguised as an android.This would be terrific as a room fragrance, but difficult to disengage with as a personal fragrance.

Synthetically unisex.

4/5.

Man, I thought this would be awesome.

Light floral, light resins, davana - all things that tend to work on me.

What I ended up with was a combination of baby powder, SweetTart dust and wet diaper.

I don't know if my skin is being weirder than usual today or what, but this is 0/2 for the day.

In the imp: The most accurate description I can think of is a mixture of mint and black pepper. Very airy.

Wet on skin: Still mint and black pepper, but now with an unidentifiable sweetness in the background, maybe from the "translucent blooms" or davana (which I've never smelled before). Ether smells cold and astringent - perfect for white cloudy gases floating through laboratory tubes and vessels.

Dry: The white resins...or something...dominates this scent, making it heavier and sharper but no less cold or airy. It's quite strong now, almost overbearing - my nose is tingling and there's a twinge in my stomach whenever I sniff it. And it's lost practically all its sweetness. It smells really familiar, and maybe due to whatever it's reminding me of, it has a bit of a sinister, looming feel to it.

Final opinion: One of the most unusual, yet most appropriately named, perfumes from BPAL that I've tried so far, which maybe accounts for this very mixed review. It's completely unisex, but might suit the right kind of guy more than a girl. Something in me recoils when smelling Ether, but all the same I think I'd be intrigued by it used sparingly on someone else - in my mind it goes with a scientist or mechanic, logically enough. All in all, I don't think I'll wear it much, but I'll keep it around.

In the bottle and on my skin, I can barely smell this one. I get a little whiff of a light lemony floral with a bit of ozone as other reviewers have noted. I like this one, but it's so light that I'd have to slather it on.

I love the lightness and ethereal whiteness of this scent. However there is a sharp note from the "white resins." The resin scent is a little bit like very faint turpentine with a slight citrus. I wonder if it is elemi?

Edite to add: Trying it again on a very warm summer evening, I notice that the floral notes come out much more strongly after about a half hour. It is a very interesting transluscent white floral but the sharp resins keep it from having anything cloying about it. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. Love this one!

Edited by Myrrha

This scent is sweet, almost a bit syrupy. I do get a hint of florals and something sharp (which I think is the resins at play). Overall, this seems to be a crisp, sweet scent and not for me.

This was an imp gifted to me from the lab. As I'm not familiar with any of the floral notes listed for this blend, I can honestly say I would never have chosen it for myself. Those Lab folks know what they're doing! Of my first BPAL order ever, Ether is actually my favorite on me. THANKS!!

In the imp, there was a bit of a sharp, sort of chemical odor, a touch of white floral, but overall, it was faint and hard to smell. I was a little hesitant, but I've already learned not to judge these babies by the bottles. They do all sorts of interesting, unexpected things on skin.

Wet it tickled my nose. I applied it very sparingly, then BOOM! This fragrance exploded on me like I had stepped into a Victorian hothouse. Huge florals. They actually remind me of a bouquet of frangipani I had at my wedding. There's something a little smoky keeping them from totally flying away, and still something a little sharp and tangy. Maybe neroli? I honestly can't tell which citrus; I just think it has to be one of them, one of the sweeter ones. I swear, I just did two tiny wand dabs, one to each wrist, and it smelled like I dumped the entire imp all over myself.

Over an hour later, I feel like I'm sitting in a cloud of this fragrance. It hasn't changed much from the wet. It's delicious and cooling, very, very feminine. A tiny, tiny little dab appears to be plenty for my body chemistry. I wouldn't have thought I'd want a bottle of a blend called "Ether". The associations I made mentally were very medicinal and chemical. The reality of the blend is nothing like the real thing, thankfully. I declare this bottle worthy.

IMP: Lemon-y with slight florals, white resin, maybe?

WET: Very similar to in the imp.

DRY: Soft lemon and citrus, not overpowering. Mingles with some background white, whispy florals. Light, delicate, but the citrus gives it a zing. Like a nice subtle citrus.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Very interesting. It doesn't morph much on me. The scent stays pretty consist from imp to drydown. I usually don't like lemon or citrus scents, either because they tend to smell too much like cleaning products or just too foody, but this one was nice and subtle enough to enjoy. The florals helped to cut that sharp lemon edge off, to just make it fresh and crisp without being overpowering. I like it. Not my favorite, but it's a nice, clean scent.

Mmmm. This is wonderful. Clear, bright, ethereal (as lab described) citrus & flowers. As expected, it burns off pretty quickly, but great while it was around!

This is the kind of blend that I like in theory, but that rarely seems to work on me-either I eat up citrus or the white florals go odd on me. I do quite like this in the imp-a sweet lemony snap-not sugary lemon-sweet and grounded by light florals.

Ok, I really am liking this on my skin-smells like in the imp-sweet lemon and white flowers-I am going to let this sit and see if the citrus lasts, but both up close and from far away this is so lovely and refreshing-a perfect summer scent!

Ok, so as it settles I kind of fall i nto the same problem I always do-the bright citrus gets eaten by my skin and then i'm left with a dull lemony scent mixed with soft white floral that just feels lacking =/ I think on the right person this could be so lovely, but it's just not something that would be a bottle purchase.