Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

Beaver Moon 2007

Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. However, we at BPAL rarely let an opportunity for sleazy campiness pass us by! For your pleasure and amusement, we present this year's incarnation of Beaver Moon: wild cherry with vanilla cream accord, and a hint of strawberry.

Mmm... sweet strawberry cake with buttery vanilla frosting and a sort of sharp edge. Some of the really over-the-top foody BPAL blends have a strange (but not bad) tendency to take on an almost metallic note on my skin-- I assume it's a caramelized or burnt-sugar note that is interacting a little unexpectedly with my chemistry, but I actually quite like it. It keeps this from being too sickeningly sweet and gives it a unique edge. Definitely a winner. Edited by kerikeri

In the bottle it's everything I've ever wanted in a blend, but like Bloody Mary unfortunately and sadly, the cherries turn into cheap plastic candies. The vanilla is true, but is kind of overshadowed by the candleness, and the strawberry took a train back to the farm because those two are ruining everything for them. That about sums it up, I remember it being better when I first got it but couldn't really tell but now it's clear. These scents just don't like me. I'm very sad about this one because I love cherries.

'versary

In the bottle: liquid baked goods

Wet: buttercream frosting, strawberry baked goods. I wouldn't say cheese cake, but it's close

Dry: vanilla-y pound cake & strawberry butter cream frosting

Aftermath: white cupcakes with strawberry frosting & an occasional cherry note. still on 3 hours later

I want to eat my arm. This is so delish!

To me, this is a big slice of cheesecake dripping with berry topping--maybe it's my imagination, but I swear I even get a hint of the graham cracker crust. It's creamy and downright tasty. I normally don't go for terribly fruity scents, and my dessert-scent tastes run more toward chocolate and spice, but there is something so lighthearted and sweet about this that I just can't help myself.

Beaver Moon is such a sweet smelling scent - and I generally love foodie inspired scents but sadly this one was just not the one for me. For some strange reason I kept getting strawberry/cherry bubblegum. Sad. I'm glad I wasn't able to actually get a bottle - only an imp. This will be going to the swap pile. :rantrave:

My very first review! And my first real BPAL scent. How exciting. Wish me luck ;)

In The Bottle: I'm hesitant of this one at first. On first sniff, it smells like some sort of pastry background note, and a dominant cherry that's verging on cough syrup territory. Seems almost scented-candlesque in nature. Not awful, but not what I'd want to smell like, necessarily. Nonetheless:

Wet: Similar to in the bottle, but, upon contact with skin, almost immediately begins to mellow. The cherry begins to morph into a cherry-with-strawberry in equal parts, and the pastry is much less intense.

Dry: Lovely. I'd consider this to be more candy-like in nature thanks to the cherry and strawberry, although I was expecting more of a bakery scent. Nonetheless, the pastry is very much present. All three main notes are noticeable. Soon after applying, my boyfriend exclaimed that it smelled like something he'd been craving recently. After a minute, he figured it out - a desert pizza we order on occasion. It consists of thick yellow custard and stewed berries on a sweet pizza base, covered with pieces of sugared shortcrust pastry, and dusted with icing sugar. This is that, in perfume form.

Later: The more it dries, Beaver Moon '07 loses its cherry-cough-syrup note, which beings to morph into general raspberry/strawberry/blackberry/etc. kind of note. This is definitely a good thing. The rest of the notes remain the same.

Verdict: It's quite sweet, and not awfully sophisticated (which isn't to say it isn't gorgeous). Glad I got a bottle!

Edited by devotchkadebones

The cherry and strawberry notes are very prominent in this one on me. It's a gorgeous scent and I'm glad I got the chance to try it, but it doesn't have very much staying power unfortunately.

Is anyone else getting a nutty smell in the wet phase? I know cherries can sometimes read as almonds and vice-versa, but I'm not even getting almond at first -- it's like a rich mixture of hazelnuts and chestnuts, with a buttery sweetness. Then it dries down and I get the fruit, strawberries and cherries and yeah, graham cracker crust. Then it gets really soft, lightly sweet with a fruit undertone and a kind of powdery quality I associate with amber, though I never smelled amber. I really like this final powdery phase and wish it had more throw at this point. It's a really pretty gourmand scent for when I'm in that kind of mood. Makes me terribly hungry, though.

In the bottle, this smells amazing- a lot of cake with some slightly boozy cherry and a bit of strawberry. It's the same type of cake that I get from Eat Me, the drier more potent one, and not the softer incense-heavy cake from Cake Smash or Beaver Moon '05. When I put it on and it's wet, I get a blast of the same smell as in the bottle, a lot of cake with that same strong boozy cherry- not much strawberry at first. As it dries, I get more of the strawberry, and it becomes less cherry and cake and more strawberry cupcake- like those boxed cake mixes that make pink birthday cupcakes. I like this stage the best. Unfortunately, my insane skin sucks the living daylights out of this scent (just like it does with lots of yummy sweet foodie smells), and after only maybe 10-15 minutes, leaves behind only a faint plasticy strawberry, doughy smell that is not very sweet or pleasant. The eventual drydown is almost exactly what happened to Golletes from this past fall's Weenies and more recently, Lilith's Tea Party. Something about the cake/pastry and strawberry combo turns to plastic on my skin and totally breaks my heart. I will say that the drydown here is not as bad as that of Golletes (which was absolutely revolting), but is still rather plastic and not super pleasant. After a half hour, there's hardly a trace of the scent left on the skin at all. If this would stay true on me I would adore it. I'll test again, but if this doesn't end up working in my scent locket, I'm afraid it may be headed for swaps. :cry2: I'm super disappointed, mainly because my expectations were so high for this one.

ETA: Retested today; a little less plasticy. I'm going to keep trying this one. It smells SOOOO good to start with..I am determined that it shall work out!

Edited by VioletFemme

Bottle: Smells very much like berries (stronger in cherry than strawberry) and vanilla cake.

Wet on skin: Plastic cherry and vanilla. The plastic odor is strong on me and offensive for the first 5 minutes.

After 10 minute Dry down: Mellows out to graham cracker and strawberry. The plastic odor has dissipated to the faint scent of a Strawberry Shortcake Doll from 1983. Brings back memories.

Overall: Once it dries down this is a fun, playful, berry-lighthearted scent, however short-lived.

3 out of 5 stars.

Just like the popping, fizzing candies I used to love as a kid. Cherry-flavoured and creamy... this is beautiful. Reminds me of unwrapping My Little Pony packages as a child and being lost in the innocence and magic of it all. A totally nostalgic and pure scent. I need several back-ups of this.

Wet: I can smell cream more than anything.. with a bit of plastic in the background. Uhoh...

Dry: Plastic has disappeared! I'm smelling strawberries and vanilla more than anything. Well, actually, it's more like vanilla with a hint of strawberries. Gorgeous. The scent is very light on me.. which just means I'll have to slather. ;)

I'll give this a 4/5. Yum!

In the bottle, and fresh applied, this was fantastic. The cherry came through most obviously, as I didn't recognize the very specific Lab strawberry note anywhere in here. It was like a cherry cheesecake, because I definitely got something cakey as well as a graham cracker crust. Delicious.

An hour later, now that it's dry? Disaster. Plastic. I blame the vanilla cream, which occasionally does this to my skin. (May also be because it's Shark Week.) Swap swap swap.

In the bottle: Cherry Cheesecake, complete with graham cracker crust.

Wet on the skin: Vanilla cheese cake with a hint of cherry

Drydown: Strawberry poundcake.

I never thought I'd say this, ever, but I'm actually really sad the drydown is strawberry rather than cherry. The cherry gave it a little tar bite that was needed for it not to go super sweet extremely foodie on me. At least it gave me hope for other cherry scents! Sadly, off to swaps it goes.

In the bottle it's warm cherry caramel toffee. On me it's sweeter and less foody (yay) as it dries down it's more of a flowery cherry and strawberry. I was worried it would be too food like and sickly caramel/vanilla on me but it dries down nicely. Soft and feminine. Reminds me of scratch and sniff stickers from when I was little! Gorgeous!

In the bottle: not much maybe a light cherry

Wet: there is stronger sweet cherry and strawberry but not much cheesecake

Drydown: on the drydown is when the cheesecake note comes out but it's more cakey not cheesey. This is delicous don't get me wrong but what broke my heart was the lack of throw and very short wear time. Shortest of all my other Beaver Moon scents.

Every time I wear my beloved Beaver Moon, I want to gnaw my limbs off. It's delightful. This is a berry cheesecake all the way from bottle through drydown for me, no morphing at all except for the undulating cheesecake/berry back and forth all the way through. Truly a foodie masterpiece. :D

A lovely forumite frimped me a decant of this. It was not on my radar, and even if I had known about it, I probably would not have thought to try it because of the strawberry, but I am so glad I got to try this, because this is one of the best cherry scents I have encountered! :dance:

Beaver Moon 2007 is mostly wild cherry and vanilla cream on me. The strawberry really is just a hint (fortunately for me)! The cherry in this is truly cherry and not cherry-almond, and the vanilla cream has helped to ground the cherry and make it last for several hours on me (an amazing feat, since that note tends to burn off quickly!). I feel like there may be saffron or something in the vanilla cream... or maybe it's a French vanilla? It kind of reminds me of a cherry Love's Philosophy. Win! :wub2: