Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
heartbeast

Blue Moon 2004

The spirit of the full moon is capricious, intense and passionate, yet still distant, aloof and cold. Luna herself governs glamours, bewitchments and dream-work, innocent wonder, transient pleasure and delight, the Moment, impulse, mystery and veils. The Blue Moon is one of her rarest manifestations, and this scent is formulated to encapsulate her most complex and profound nature:

Mugwort and bay, for psychic sensitivity...
Juniper, for divination through dreams...
Orchid and galbanum, for complexity, wisdom and noscere...

... with a potent lunar-charged blend of poppy, calamus, orris, wood aloes, moonflower, cucumber, and pale creeping buttercup.

Wow, am I the first?? :D What an honor!!

The first thing I think when I sniff it in the bottle is "Hmmm, this is the first BPAL I've tried that really smells like a magical oil and not a perfume oil." I wish I could explain better what I mean by that, but other magical oils I own, from occult shops and made by friends, smell lovely but are somehow not suitable as perfumes; they just seem too...I don't know...laden with intent? The fact that they smell nice is almost a coincidental side benefit. Anyhow, I digress.

Once on, Blue Moon is much more soft and ethereal than I expected. It's definitely there, but I have to sniff hard to actually pay attention to it, to be aware of anything other than a vague aura. It's very peripheral, that's the word. I notice the cucumber right off, although it's a very sweet, soft, vague cucumber. There is something lending the cucumber more sweetness, but it's not a sugar sweetness or even a fruit or flower sweetness, it's a vegetable sweetness. Like bell pepper, but that's not what it smells like, that's just the quality of sweet. It's very nearly a soft licorice note, and I wonder if that's the orris root--it does remind me of Old Venice. Next the florals do steal in, and they're such soft, light florals--I've never smelled moonflower or buttercup on their own, and the poppies I've smelled didn't seem to have a scent, but I can't help thinking of the poppy field in the Wizard of Oz. If this is what they smelled like, no wonder Dorothy wanted to lie right down and go to sleep in the middle of them! I can't pick out the orchid, but I'm grateful that I love this--there's something in Queen Mab that I don't get along with, and I've been worried that it was the orchid. There's absolutely nothing in here that doesn't work for me.

There's something familiar about this that I can't put my finger on--is it just the cucumber reminding me of other cucumber scented things, like Suave's cucumber melon shampoo & conditioner (much lighter and less obnoxious than other brands' take on that scent) or Love's Rain Scent from the 1970's?

There's a thickness that reminds me of Oneiroi--probably the mugwort--and finally a tiny, tiny green prickle that I think is the juniper. But all in all, I really had to think hard to pull any of this out. The scent is softly sweet, ethereal, and flits off at the edge of your awareness. But, it does turn into something I will wear as a scent as well as use for magic, meditation and dreamwork. I wish I'd gotten a 10 ml instead of 5! This is love! :P

Remember the cartoons you saw as a kid where witches would stir their cauldrons? Each item they threw in would float to the top, bob at the surface for a while, until a new element was added. Blue Moon reminds me of those cartoons; it seems perpetually in flux. The ingredients almost seem to jostle with each other.

Blue Moon seems very berry-like in the bottle, and it remains that way on my skin. There are so many ingredients, and I could smell many of them. It's very complex, unique, and somehow thick.

This is gorgeous, but I'm not sure if it's gorgeous on me. I intend to try this several times because my body chemistry is psycho and this creation is divine.

I'm interested to see if people plan on using this as a magical oil. I agree with heartbeast; Blue Moon seems laden with intent!

ETA: I wore Blue Moon this weekend and it was gorgeous. The notes continued to jostle, almost as if they were in rotation...left wrist cucumber-y, right wrist berry-ish...left wrist flowery...right wrist melon-y. Mmmm!

Edited by Aurelius

I laughed at the peripheral comment in the first review. I opened my bottle and went oooh, so I held it up for my husband to smell. He grabbed it from me and sniffed several times with a puzzled expression. "I can catch a whiff of it, but when I try to really smell it I can't smell anything."

On to the review. I know nothing about ritual, and really only bought it because it was a limited edition, and it was a moon oil. I have always been in love with the moon, so despite not knowing what to do with it, and thinking it would be a little stinky (mugwort, bay and juniper?), I ordered a 5 ml. I too wish I had bought a 10.

In the bottle this is bright and almost candy sweet. On, it immediately softens into one of the prettiest things I have ever smelled. It has the freshness of cucumber without actually smelling like cucumber. I think I can pick out the orchid, but it's very soft. There's a note that's a little cool and slightly distant, I'm guessing it might be the juniper? It's really hard to single out scents as I am very new to wearing fragrance and don't actually know what a lot of these notes smell like on their own.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by this scent and it will definitely be thrown into heavy rotation, especially during these warm months.

Gorgeous. I'm once again in awe of BPAL oils.

I'm not good at discribing scents yet. It smells like a clean bedroom with blue sheets and matching pillowcases on the bed. There's daisies in a white vase and whispy curtains in the window blowing in the cool breeze. I like this alot. It doesn't smell like something I'd normally wear. Maybe that's a good thing. :D

Edit: I made Blue Moon lotion for a hostess gift. I used 1/4th of a 5ml of Blue Moon and an unscented bottle of moondust body lotion. The friend it was for loved my Blue Moon and BPAL. If I could I would buy 2 10ml's so I wouldn't run out. I won't make this mistake with a limited addition again! :P

Edited by rdeadline

I actually received my bottle a couple days ago, and I set it aside and didn't open it until today. Actually, I wanted to wait till the 31st, but my curiosity got the better of me! I'm unbelievably sad that this is a limited edition, because of all the oils I've sampled so far, this is my absolute favorite. The floral scents hang in pure, perfect balance, and mugwort has always been one of my favorite herbs. The juniper sets it apart from everything else in my basket. It's precious.

Oh, Blue Moon... you are quite a surprise.

When I first opened the packaging, I knew I would like it. The smell was just... nice. Not too this or that, not in your face, not faded, just *nice*. The label is adorable and the amber bottle is cute. I'm not even sure where to start with the oil, though-- it's a shapeshifter.

It's tightly wound, ready to spring... not like a cat about to pounce, but more like a fiddle head, or a night flower about to open. It's laden with a quiet sort of power, and I can smell that it has a thoughtful purpose outside of smelling lovely. It is blue and clear to me, like the color of moonlight on a white mushroom. In fact, it's what moonlight *should* smell like on a clear night-- both soft and crisp, clearly delineated, with both stark light and shadow, ponderous with self-knowledge and wisdom.

Think of an ancient forest clearing at night, with juniper berries shining on dark bushes and glittering droplets on spider webs, with a little fairy circle of whitish mushrooms and fiddleheads popping open as frogs' eyes are lit up momentarily. Think of owls hooting Beatles' songs to themselves. It's that split second when the air finally cools, and things sigh softly. It's almost like the same forest I see for The Unicorn, but on the night that the unicorns *don't* appear-- same place, but with a quiet waiting that is never quite fulfilled.

A very beautiful and thoughtful and peaceful and wise blend. A blend for spiders and spinners and barn owls and mushrooms and ferns and things that are never seen in the shadows but are there, nonetheless. Perfectly blended, really, shifting from note to note with the sharp spark of juniper behind it all. Gorgeous.

:P

I got a sample from a wonderful forumite :D

This is really beautiful, Wet this reminds me of a Blue Hawaiian, (color association maybe?)I'm not sure what is in it that would make me think of this. It does change as it melts into my skin much like the sky as the moon rises farther up into the heavens. hhhmmmm, Reminds me of sitting on the beach watching the full moon climb the celestial sphere. Perfect for use in ritual, I'm glad I got to experience this one!!

Thank you!! Thank you!!!!

:D

So, whens the next blue moon?

Edited by Nadirah

I bought this because I am a sucker for limited edition and especially colour associations. I have to be tied down with the next red moon update.

But now, on to the Blue moon.

If I would have to use words to describe it, the review would be like this:

"Well, it smells fresh, but not really, I can smell a bit of fruitiness, but not fruity fruitiness, and I can smell the cucumber, but it's not really obvious, and I can smell soft and gentle florals, but they're reeeeaaaallly gentle as they're hard to find if you look for them, as the herbal note dominates, but it isn't a herbal scent really..." etc etc.

I give up. It's beautiful. Get some at the next Blue Moon (2007 :P ).

Edited by Tesseljoan

at first: lightly fruity and floral, but mostly watery. gorgeous.

on: it's a bit sharper on, but still watery above all else. aptly named. i can smell the cucumber and a wonderful variety of flowers. this is going to be a favorite.

1 hour later: still gorgeous. i'm falling in love with this. now, there's a bit of something dark underneath the flowers and the cucumber. lovely.

2 hours later: still cucumber and floral mostly, with an undercurrent of darkness. i love this.

3 hour later: much lighter, but still gorgeous. this is fabulous.

overall: a definitely favorite. watery and floral, with a hint of something dark underneath.

I never thought I'd want a 10ml of something.

Wow there goes that thought.

This just came in the mail today and I broke me "one scent at a time" rule, scrubbed the scarecrow off most of my body and found a free elbow crook to apply.

I cannot seem to peg this scent in the bottle. As others have noted it's juxtaposing so many scents at once that it makes me nose tingle and spin.

Putting it on, it's very berry-ish at first, a lot of bay and Juniper dancing about with one another but as it dries there's a definite scent of the moonflower and cucumber cooling things down. This is bringing an image to mind of moonlit nights dancing and then relaxing in cool evening grass.

I adore this scent. Worship it even. It's going to be torture decanting the imp I promised to Selena, but with a name like that, she's getting one anyway on sheer principle.

I'm in love and ooo is it wonderful. :P

If this blend were a jewel it would be a light blue sapphire surrounded by gem quality moonstone cabachons set in platinum. I would wear it on a plaited chain of rose, white & yellow gold so that it hung just over my third eye.

This is a catalyst blend, a facilitator of intention. Make your plans carefully & for the highest good. I am of the opinion that this blend will work very hard for you.

It's a little after 9 on the evening of the 29th. I walked outside to enjoy the moon but I had forgotten I was still wearing the Blue Moon oil blend.

My first impression upon seeing the beautifull orb was one of powerful beauty & a sense of "home". This blend also helps me to feel very centered, calm & focused.

Besides all of these thoughts & impressions, this is one exquisite blend! (See previous reviews.) It's extremely wearable. I may see if it keeps me a bit more "open" than I want to be when I'm out & about people. Will keep you aprised on any changes in these impressions.

Thank you so much BPAL staff for getting it to me in time for the Blue Moon!

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

Love the moon, love blue, love blue moons...How could I not buy this? And then, it also has cucumber in it, so I had to. (Thank you so much for the cucumber, Beth!!!)

First Impression

Straight out of the bottle it seems...soft. Not powdery, but soft. There's the sweet cucumber that I can pick out, and... I can't seem to tell what else I'm smelling. It's so sweet and soft and...blue... I think I can get a hint of the wood aloe, and the orchid (that same lovely scent from Phantom Queen, or at least...I think I recognize it...). And there's a faintly medicinal smell underneath it, like...maybe that's the juniper? I don't know. Every other perfume, it's been easier to identify. This is a jewel that I can't stop sniffing at, but can never seem to grasp. My sister says, "It smells natural, but then it doesn't smell like anything at all."

Wearing It

When I first apply it, it smells like cucumber and flowers, maybe the buttercup? It's delicious, and clean, and lovely. And the orchid picks up, too. I have no clue what the rest of the ingredients smell like, but in the end it dries down to a sweet, subtle, clean scent. It's so different from the rest of the oils that I like (Katharina, Whitechapel, Scherezade) because they all are *strong* and out there to say something, but Blue Moon says what it needs to without being forceful about it. It's just soft and sweet and...

Well, now I'm rambling...

I really do love this. It's not at all a typical choice of perfume for me (which is probably good, because this way I won't use it all up at once), but it's perfect for those quiet clear nights, or a rainy day. It's perfect for when you need to feel a bit more attuned, to...whatever. I'm going to try wearing this one before I go to sleep tonight and see what sort of dreams our sweet Blue Moon will send me...

FIRST SNIFF: cool, crisp, autumn

WEARING IT: the cucumber and aloes are what i smell mostly, they are so cooling and crisp smelling. you'd think they'd make me think of summer, but this is totally a fall scent on me and i'm loving it!!! it's windy, strong without being loud and insanely gorgeous!

VERDICT: my only complaint is that i didn't get 10 x 10mls of this! if anyone is looking to get rid of theirs, please think of me! it's such a great scent.

So, my lovely Minx sent me an imp of this oil after I stupidly missed the time limit. I am SO thankful for the Minx! Much much much thanks!!!

So its been sitting in my oil chest for about a week waiting for me to put my fingers around it. I try to test imps at random, since I have so many that came in at once, and I'm suprised that I haven't tried it on yet. I can smell it even out of the bottle, and its been luscious. My whole chest smells like Blue Moon! ::drool::

In the bottle it is berries. Fruity and clean and crisp. It actually reminds me of Jucity Fruit gum. Wow, that brings back a lot of memories for me. Its my favorite kind of gum, and it is something that I will alwas associate with my Dad and our relationship before things got sour right after my 16th birthday. I can remember getting into his car and smelling that fruity Juicy Fruit smell even after I was grown up and had kids of my own. All I had to do was sniff at the air a bit, and he would be pulling the Juicy Fruit out of his hiding place to hand me a piece of gum. I can smell it in my Mom's purse too, and she'd do the same.

You know that a scent is going to be fantasic when it invokes such powerful memories. And I haven't even put it on yet. Its still in my nose though. I can see why the Minx thinks so highly of this one:)

On me wet, the smell is very berries, as long as I don't put my nose to my wrist. On my wrist, it smells like doctor's rubber gloves. No kidding. It's that acrid latex smell that makes my nose curl up. Yuck. How could something so pretty in the bottle smell this terrible on my skin?

Its beginning to die down now, and the berry smell is coming back. In fact, the latex is now completely gone. Thank goodness. Now it smells like it did in the bottle smell again. I guess I'll just have to live through the agonizing wet stage before the scent becomes true again. When I put it in my hair, it smells true...no latex smell.

This is very nice! The berry smell isn't as powerful on me as in the bottle, but its kind of like strawberries. The scent is really ahrd to pin down other than that. Maybe its the moonflower. I noticed the same scent in Moon Rose. I love this. I am so happy that Minx sent it to me. If Red Moon is half as great as this I am going to be really happy.

I asked the lovely allamanda to order a bottle of Blue Moon for me as I was to be away during it's availability - I had no idea of the blend notes but ordered it on name alone for many a sentimental reason *sigh*.

When I finally read the notes and I saw the word cucumber my heart sank, I despise cucumber. I do not like aquatic notes and I had fears of Blue Moon ending up like Ingenue, WoND etc etc.

Blue Moon is a beautiful blend. Yes, there is cucumber/water note here but I don't find it too green or sharp and for me it's only on initial application. The notes are far too blended for me to pick out any of the florals but I love what I'm smelling so that's good enough for me.

Blue Moon is calming, comforting and quietly sensual. I like to wear it in the evening or when I need a hug.

Blue Moon...the stories about your glory are true.

First sniff

Oh gods. Something sweet and familar...yet rare as well. I've smelled this before but I cannot for the life of me remember where. The juniper really jumps up at me but there's another stronger scent...maybe the moonflower? I don't know but I LIKE it! Smells very much like the I imagine the actual blue moon would smell...fleeting, mysterious and beautiful.

When wet

*flusters* This is brilliant. It turns into this wonderfully aquatic smelling floral...one I've been lusting after my whole life. It's a bit berry as well...heartbeast was right it does smell a bit like Love's Rain Scent (which I adored) only without the nasty alcohol smell. My body chemistry really picks up the juniper now (one of the very few scents I can identify on contact as I used to slather myself in Bath & Body Works Juniper Breeze) and I can smell more of the cucumber as well. Absolutely beautiful, I feel enchanting.

Drydown

I think this is the very first oil that hasn't changed its nature on me as it dries down. Still the same lovely wistful scent it was when wet...if anything the juniper is brought out even MORE. Perhaps my body just loves juniper...who knows?

Aftermath

WHY. WHY did I not buy a 10 ml of this? Or 8 5mls? This is beautiful, it's goregous and ITS MINE. MINE DO YOU HEAR?!

When I got my order there where lots of bottles to sniff and so I sniffed Blue Moon. First, "weird, not really nice, put it aside when i have time to learn to know it better"

Side note: some of Beth scent cannot be approched untill you go though a proces of learning to know it bit by bit. Blue Moon is that kind of scent. Compare it for example with Dana O shee, on me, that's immediatly wearable. But not Blue moon...Maybe because it's a magic blend?

Today, I felt like ready for it.

Blue moon is amazing, very complex and makes me feel calm and powerful.

I was a little afraid it turn out too aquatic on me but the juniper makes it earthy and warm on my skin.

It's not overpowering but it's there, around me.

I am very glad to have ordered a 5ml, and looking forward to the other moon scents!

I got an imp of Blue Moon in a swap with clover, and boy, I'm glad I did!

In the vial, Blue Moon is very much a sweet cucumber scent with a lot of greenery and earthiness falling to the background. It's a very complex and energizing sniff.

Once on me and drying down, the cucumber takes a soft, sweet back seat to the herbs and greenery, and boy -- I can barely smell the juniper, but I'm sure that's what's keeping it grounded on me. The green is a very soft, pale, inviting green with soft, baby blue streaks running through it as the cucumber and juniper pop through once in a while.

I wish I had been able to get a bottle of this, but I'll cherish the imp until it's gone.

in the vial: OH MY GOD! This is insane...it's cool and airy and blue like flowing water. It shimmers...it's pure magic. I smell some kind of ethereal herbalness, it reminds me of the tarot blends a little bit in its complexity. It's heady in its own way...not heady in a red/deep purple way, but heady in a way I've never really experienced before. I had no idea light blue could be so hypnotic. I don't really think I can give this oil justice...

on my skin: It smells like an enchanted version of cucumber melon on my skin. However, if I think about it, I can also smell similarities to Bewitched and Lady Macbeth. There's a juiciness to it on my skin. This makes me feel calm and safe. :D I really, really adore it and I can't wait to try Red Moon. :P

Thanks for swapping this with me, Lisa! :D

eta: I can't spell tonight. lol

Edited by Effluvia

My first thought was "Blueberries?" It's fruity when wet, which didn't bode particularly well for me, as I tend to dislike fruity candy-like scents.

I needn't have worried. It's more an impression of fruitiness than actual fruitiness, if that makes any sense - soft and ethereal. I really like it.

Blue Moon

Fresh, light, really beautiful.

Fruity, but not in a sugary way.

It's so purely pretty.

And I'm happy to know that this is what blue smells like. Like something so white it's blue.

Blue Moon is a stunning ethereal scent. I'm so sad I didn't get to get this one when it was available, but thank you Fairywingmaker for the imp:>

It's lush. Beautiful crisp cucumber and juniper. With mugwort hanging in the backgroud. It's such a calming comforting scent.

I dabbed a little on my pillow last night and had such a wonderful, vivid dream filled sleep. I was so relaxed and so comfortable that I actually slept. I suppose I will be using this sparringly.

Thank you Elizabeth for such a wonderful concoction:>

In bottle: Cucumber and mint.

That's what my initial impressions of this were, in the bottle. As there's no mint in the blend I'm guessing it's the juniper, because 'Juniper Breeze' at Bath & Body Works always makes me think of mint, without smelling of mint. There's a bit of something heavier sitting beneath, but I have no idea what it is.

On me: I love how light this fragrance is. It's very dreamy. It stays true to the bottle when first applied, and subtly shifts and changes throughout the day. First Cucumber and juniper, than cucumber and florals, than juniper comes back and some flowers fade, but others open up even more. I don't get the berry sensation that other people seem to be finding.

This was the first fragrance to get an unsolicited comment, from my best friend of many years. She was appalled at how much I spend on perfume ("Nineteen dollars for that weenie bottle?") but conceded that it's a wonderful fragrance that smells magical and like nothing else.

I never reviewed this? Bad Tygher!

I couldn't resist Blue Moon, and not just because it wouldn't come out for a while, since the next Blue Moon isn't for almost 2 years. The moonflower, cucumber and orchid in this called to me. And sniffing the bottle, what seems most prominent to me is the cool, blue-green scent. Like a cucumber, this smells cool, like putting cucumber slices on tired, puffy eyes. Soothing. Green. Delicate and mysterious and powerful. A priestess' oil, certainly.

Just put on, this darkens considerably, more of the blue than the green. I imagine a woman of power standing in a field with a ring of fire surrounding her, her arms reaching to the dark night sky just as the moon is overhead. She is crowned with a wreath of night-blooming flowers, and the scent of the woods touches her on a gentle breeze. It's delicate without giving up power. It's soft, but with a slight edge. I can't really pick out any notes, but this is more of an herbal green that an flowery one.

This softens as I wear it, but I count this as just a natural change. It's incredibly lovely, and I certainly can feel the power that comes with an oil prepared for the magical time of the Blue Moon. Definitely herbal, like chamomile flowers and aloes and all that other green stuff. Now it can certainly be described as ethereal .. where it was more physical before, it's certainly got a wispy feel to it after it settles down. And still there's that cucumber coolness that I just am loving. Mmm.

Clean, clear, crisp, and almost tangy. This is watery but faintly spicy-- my stress automatically evaporated the moment this touched my nose. I definitely smell the bay, aloe, and moonflower, and I honestly wish that this would come back to be part of the regular collection. It's not something I could see myself wearing out a lot, but this would be amazing for ritiual and stress-busting nights.