Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
heartbeast

Blue Moon 2004

... Mugwort and bay, for psychic sensitivity… Juniper, for divination through dreams… Orchid and galbanum, for complexity, wisdom and noscere… with a potent lunar-charged blend of poppy, calamus, orris, wood aloes, moonflower, cucumber, and pale creeping buttercup.

In the Bottle: Wet melon and berry, and floral of some sort... lilac? Lotus? not jasmine, I don't think? Cool and calm and I think, a night scent. A big pool of water in the full moonlight. This scent seems very familiar, but maybe it's the water note. But it does evoke some well known candle or room scent...

Dry: Cucumber Melon Candle with a water scent candle, or dryer sheets. Which don't get me wrong, is not a bad thing. This would make the world's best room scent, I think, for spring. I don't think it goes well for me as a body scent though. but it's a fresh lovely scent.

Blue Moon '04 is a fresh, mostly floral smell on my skin. In the bottle, it sort of reminds me of a fresh, floral shampoo. Florals and a watery cucumber. On my skin at first, I'm surprised that this doesn't have any snow note listed in it. It reminds me a little bit of toothpaste, softly minty and reminiscent of bpal's snow note. This isn't really a cool scent on my skin, though. It's mostly floral and the floral notes are warm and perfumey.

After five minutes, this has dried down to all perfumey, cheap florals on me. It's like drugstore white floral perfume mixed with hairspray, with a hint of watery, fresh cucumber in the background. It's headache inducing for me in its sharpness.

I don't really get all of the love for this blend.

Edited by Little Bird

I was so nervous about trying this one. I snagged it on the forums many weeks back, and it's been sitting in my BPAL box ever since. I've taken it out and stared at it, but I've been wary about trying something so coveted with anything less than fresh skin and an open mind.

So...on with the review.

This is possibly the shimmeriest scent I've tried so far. When I say that I mean that it feels like the shimmery color that I associate with lunar oils, but also that it has this mutable quality. It smells cool and warm by turns, sometimes aquatic, sometimes fruity, sometimes faintly floral.

I think the clearest notes I get from it are cucumber, melon or some other water-logged fruit, and the moonflower. It's just absolutely lovely, and the aquatic notes remian just on this side of the not-too-sharp line.

Very ethereal and pretty.

Edited by maewitch

I keep meaning to review this one, But I just get distracted smelling myself, and I forget all about it.

Blue Moon is like nothing I've ever smelled. It starts as a very well-blended scent; the notes are indistinguishable, but very light and clean.

After a little while, it turns into a lovely cucumber melon scent, very cool, and with a clean floral edge - I think, after sticking my nose in an aloe plant, I think that's what I'm smelling behind the fruity cucumber.

After a few hours, I smell the cucumber less, and this is a very light fruity, aloe-y smell. It's very sweet, too - I'm almost reminded of gummy fruits, but this is just ... well, it's lighter, and cooler, and it's utterly impossible to do justice to it in words. I will treasure this one, and hope it'll last until 2007.

Oh my god am I glad I'm getting to try this.

It's... pale, cucumbery with a hint of floral.

It reminds me of a Victoria's Secret cucumber skin tonic I used in the '90s.

Very pale green colored.

It's a clean smell.

Definitely great for a warm day- just smelling it is a cooling experience.

As time passes the cool cucumber and the floral sit in perfect, calm balance.

I really like this, despite typically being a musky/spice girl.

On first application, this is cool fruit, with the barest hint of florals. Though, now that I notice cucumber on the list of notes, I think that might be what I'm smelling--it's sweet, so I first mistook it for melon. I'm catching the juniper as well, as the scent dries, and it's really an overall lovely scent. I get mostly the cucumber and juniper, but all the rest make it a complex and moonlit sort of blend.

This is gorgeous, and I like it more each time I sniff it. It's got decent throw, and it seems to be lasting much longer on me than other, similar blends do. I would adore having a bottle of this, but I know the chances. When's the next blue moon, again? :P

Well...

Someone will be happy when they receive this Imp from me.

Ummmmm...

No.

In the imp I really smelled the Aloe. This is a very green blend to me ~ which is lovely for other people but most definitely is not "me". This is a wet fragrance, too... not unlike taking a walk in a meadow in the rain. Not unpleasant ~ but not me.

Wet ~ Green, Green, Green. A very clean and uplifting scent... with a slight scent of those little tiny white flowers that are bell-shaped. I can't for the life of me think of what that flower is called.

On the drydown ~ green and floral ~ and it is giving me a headache. Off to wash this one off.

:D

I know that the next owner will treasure this. This one was mailed off a couple of days ago to an interested (and very excited!) BPAL'er.

:P

I'll preface this by reminding people that this is an old scent now and the imp(s) I received are therefore aged. :P

I definitely agree with those who described this as 'pale' but not in a wishy-washy way; more in a fresh, translucent, shimmery sense. This reminds me of cool, crystal-clean water from a mountain stream; something bright and refreshing.

The top note is actually a pale mint to my nose, whilst the undertone is a pure cucumber. If you're familiar with Annabel Lee, imagine something a little deeper and truer to fresh cucumber water; that's the note here.

Initially, the yellow florals are quietly waiting beneath the surface of the water, only emerging in the drydown. They're rich, sweet, bright, and gentle. These are the kind of florals that I can wear very happily, and which add a complexity to this otherwise semi-aquatic scent.

I love this lunacy blend!

* The Holy Grail of the Lunacy blends * :P

Cool, clear-smelling whiff of fresh air. On my skin, perfect combination of cool crisp cucumber and lightly sweet melon. A lovely, unobtrusive florals starts seeping out between the coolness and sweetness. There's a green watery smell that comes and goes, like a fresh mountain spring. Maybe it's the wood aloes? Very cool and refreshing.

Verdict: A perfectly refreshing scent for summer. I can't wait until Blue Moon gets re-released on 2007.

Edited by mandragora

In Bottle: Sweet florals and cucumber

On Skin: First off, thank you to Kellerbl for this sniffer. I am in love with this scent! Cucumber is the dominant note, yay! It’s one of my favorite notes so I’m a happy camper. I also get sweet florals that sweeten the slightly bitterness of the cucumber.

This reminds me of my old favorite Victoria Secret lotion “Tranquil Breezes”. I grew up with that lotion and then it was discontinued right after I got into college. It came back for a while but it’s never been the same. After about 15 minutes, the cucumber starts to fade a little. I smell the aloe coming forward, fresh and crisp. The florals are still standing on their own, gorgeous as can be. I want gallons of this scent, seriously… right now. It reminds me of being a teenager and I loved that scent… cucmbers are just so refreshing and crisp. It’s a perfect spring and summer scent. I hope when Blue Moon comes back in 2007 it will be this same formulation.

In the imp: Chilly and blue. This is the first scent I've tried that smells like a color.

On my skin: Crisp and clean, and still very blue. A lovely scent of which I had more!

bluemoon.jpg

I have to agree 100% with Maewitch on this one. To quote:

I think the clearest notes I get from it are cucumber, melon or some other water-logged fruit, and the moonflower. It's just absolutely lovely, and the aquatic notes remain just on this side of the not-too-sharp line.

Sad to say, none of those notes are favorites of mine, so I am uniquely unqualified to pass judgment on such a rare item. I also suspect that this one does not keep, and like Beaujolais, you want to enjoy it as soon as you got it as aging will not improve it.

An imp from the wonderful LupaWolf. Thanks again!

The first ten minutes of this is all sweet, watery cucumber, with a hint of a mint topnote. It reminds me of Tulzscha, but more floral and none with the hot-chlorine scent that I didn't like in that one.

Juniper and bay show up after a while, giving this a more astringent scent. Still lovely.

Then it turns into... Storm Moon??

Yes. This smells like "BPAL" in my brain, because Storm Moon was the first scent I ever tried and liked enough to go hunt down on Ebay, thanks to a rummage through Loligo's box. I think what I'm getting is the straight-up lunar oils, which I don't notice much except in Storm and Strawberry Moons -- it's an herbal scent, almost dusty, but still sweet and magical-smelling. Because I associate it with the very first oils I tried, I love it. :P

Blue Moon

First impression: Unfortunately, I didn't know about BPAL at the time and didn't purchase any. This is my one and only regret in life to this day! I love Blue Moon. I believe it is my favorite of all BPAL scents. Wow -- I would have never guessed from the description that it would be so beautiful, but it is. It's fresh, clear, soft and ethereal. It smells like breathing in clean nighttime air from atop a flower-laden Swiss Alp. The cucumber swirls softly beneath the surface lending it a clean, refreshing and invigorating (but very soft and soothing) notes while the poppy and orchid round out the scent. This is simply divine. Heaven in a bottle, that's what it is. Sadly, it doesn't last on my skin for any decent length of time and it is fairly subtle on my skin, but it's so pretty I wouldn't mind reapplying and slathering if I only had enough!

Later impression: A friend smelled it and immediately said it smelled like sushi. As soon as she said that, I instantly recognized the sushi scent she was picking up on, and every time after, I was unable to get past the sushi scent. Having that association completely ruined the scent for me and I made sure my little imp of Blue Moon found a better, more loving home.

Finally gots me an imp of this to try. It's beautiful! It reminds me a lot of Frost Moon on my skin, especially after it's dried, but the opening notes are significantly different. It's sweeter and more floral than Frost too. I definitely notice cucumber and mint. Gorgeous, but enough like Frost in the later stages that I don't cry for lack of it. Hopefully Beth will resurrect it for the next Blue Moon.

This was very refreshing to sniff. It was very much cucumber and coolness. I agree that I could catch wisps of it but it seems like only when I wasn't trying. definitely a summer scent. Hopefully it comes back next blue moon. I would need a few bottles.

Wow, I finally got to try this one, yay! It is every bit as lovely as I expected it to be. A pale, beautiful cucumber note dominates this blend. The background is a wispy mix of the poppy and the buttercup, and it's white and mysterious like a ghost. Annabelle Lee was a bit like this one, I suppose that would be a decent replacement for the elusive Blue Moon. This blend reminds me of banshees and white wizards screaming through the night. I love it, I will surely cherish my little decanted imp :P

I smell no mugwort, bay, or juniper. Yay for that. I can't easily pick out what I do smell from what's left of the description. It smells a mostly like cucumber, I think. Maybe some moonflower, too.

Tried this at a meet and sniff. Ugh! There is something citrus in here somewhere, because this is another one that goes to citrus hell on me. I get orange and floral (mostly a jasmine feel, even though there's not any jasmine listed), and it gave me a slight headache.

In the vial: Cucumber, juniper, and something slightly herbal (the bay maybe)? A touch of florals, but not much.

On skin: I could swear I smell pine. That must be the juniper playing tricks on me. The cucumber is there adding freshness, but it's not overpowering in the slightest.

Dry: This is a very well blended scent, and so unique. I don't have anything else in my bpal inventory that's like this. No one note overwhelms the rest, they're all in harmony. I can understand why so many people love Blue Moon! It's not something I'll spend a fortune on for a full bottle, but I'll definitely use my imp.

blue moon smells like powder blue. cool, without being chilly, and very refreshing. it's cucumber and aloe but sweetened, like fresh honeydew melon.

another fresh aquatic-like scent that is surprisingly pleasant. i liken this to the coolness of obatala. very nice.

I see why people went gaga over this. It smells like Titania (one of my favorite GC scents) with gentle herbs. Nice and pretty, clean and fresh smelling. This smells like my BPAL imp box, actually. It's a lovely scent, but it smells like other BPALs to me.

I wonder if I could get the same sort of scent by layering Titania with Black Moon... hm.

Thanks to nineveh for swapping sniffies with me! :P

In the imp: Smells like melon, cucumber! :D and some sort of berry floral.

On Skin: The strongest note upon application is the cucumber/melon scent. I do get the watery-sort of undertone with it and the brush of some light florals, which might be the moonflower because it shares the same sort of smell as Nuit without being so heavy. I get whiffs of orchid.

On Drydown: There's something about this that reminds me to a BBW scent and I think it's the moonflower. My skin loves florals... so it loves this by extension. I can't help sniffing my wrist. It's cool but not overly aquatic, floral but not exploding. The cucumber and melon notes give it a freshness. I can definitely see why people are crazy about this.

Verdict: I can't wait until April rolls around. I am ordering a bottle of this. I don't care if I have to massacre and sacrifice one of my husband's credit cards to get this. I want it. It's light, fresh, cool and a floral aquatic. Right up my alley. It's so pretty. If I could, I'd try to find an imp... but since it's nigh-impossible, I will just count pennies, rescue quarters from the gutter, pick up dimes from dirty asphalt until April rolls around. Thankfully there is a Blue Moon this year.

I will shut up now because I have waxed rhapsodically about this enough.

I don't know what any of the notes smell like except for cucumber, all I know is that I am in love.

I agree with whichever reviewers above me described it as smelling like "nothing." It really doesn't smell solid, inasmuch as a fragrance can be solid, but it's much more of a *mood* kind of scent. It puts me in a happy mood. It's sweet, fresh, crisp, and perfectly tangy.

Dangit, I always fall for the unattainables. Boys, perfume, you name it. First Snowblind, then Storyville, now this. *sighs*

ETA: IT'S COMING BACK MY BLUE MOON IS COMING BACK OMFFFFGDSKLJDDGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Edited by little_galaxie

Moonlit watermelons. I'm not kidding! And then, less than 10 minutes later, it turned into a gentle stream, flanked by soft greenery. It makes me think of sitting in someone's well-tended Zen garden at the height of summer. Def worth picking up a bottle at the next resurrection.