Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Em-

Crowley

Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk.

Sweet musk and mahogany when I first put it on, plus a slight touch of citrus.

As it develops, the lilac and vanilla kick in: sweetness as surprising as Crowley's endearing vulnerability!

If I layer this with Aziraphale, the resulting effect is ethereal. Which shouldn't surprise me at all...

Oh Crowley, I wanna do bad things to you. This fragrance is the most amazing thing in the whole entire world. Good Omens us probaby one of my favorite books of all time... so when I found out BPAL made fragrances for each chararcter, I knew that I had to buy Crowley, since he is my favorite thing in the world. On me, Crowley opens up slightly smokey and leathery. In the beginning you can smell faint traces of the lilac cologne and maybe a tiny bit of lemon. As it sits in the skin, the smolder settles down a bit and the lilac and vanilla husk come out to play, but there are still smokey residues of leather in the background.

I am so in love right now. Since I put this on I have been cuddling up to my wrist like my cat does in his pile of catnip. I will never be out of a bottle of this...and so help any man I find wearing this. ;)

*swoon*

Crowley is like Jareth did the nasty with Mme. Moriarty. aroused.gif A juicy red burst of red musk followed by soft lilac and leather. The lemon rind I was worried would ruin this blend is luckily not strongly present. I wish I got more oakmoss and mahogany but that won't keep me from adding this to the bottle list. Yum.

Another musk, which I'm coming to realize I quite love, but this one has patchouli...which I really do not love. But I do like citrus, forests, vanilla and leather, so I thought I'd give this a go.

In the bottle: Ooh, love it, the sharpness of the red musk is higtenend somewhat by a light citrus and underlayed with shiny leather.

On wet: Much the same, but I get more of the vanilla now.

On Dry: O.M.G. I love this. The musk is just warm and fuzzy and the leather and vanilla intermingle in a dance of salacious warmth. Strangely enough, or perhaps just because I have only smelled "hippy" patchouli and not red patchouli I do not find much patchouli, and thank my stars, because the patchouli I'm thinking of would ruin it. The citrus which was present in the bottle does seem to completely fade fairly significantly, giving way to the darker musk tones.

I'm not getting a ton of mahogany or lilac, but I'm fine with that because I am absolutely in love with this scent. May have to buy a backup bottle of this one......

It doesn't help that Crowley is one of my favorite characters of all time either!

What took me so long to try this?!?!

This is a panty dropping scent. Holy shit.

I get a perfect blend of lilac, vanilla, red musk, and that sexy, dirty patchouli. It's sweet but musky, earty but refined. Just drop dead, devastatingly gorgeous. I need another 10 bottles. Unf.

I thought it was okay, but too far over into standard cologne for my tastes. One of the ladies in the office said it smelled like "a Motel 6 bathroom," so I think it got vetoed right into my swaps.

OMG! Heaven is a demon named Crowley.

Now I've never read any of Neil Gaiman's books. I'm gonna have to put him on my list of authors to read. The only demon Crowley I know is from Supernatural.

In the imp: Heavy on the leather. Hoping this doesn't turn out to be too masculine on me.

Wet: Leather and musk. Also, something slighly snake oil-ish.

Dry: Morphs quite a bit but still retains the leather and musk. Earth, lemon, and the creamy goodness of vanilla swirl around. This is a unisex scent with moderate throw. Thank you, Crowley, for not ending up masculine. Rating: 5+ out of 5.

Got to get a bottle. :boogie:

I'm surprised I never got around to reviewing this one. Crowley is near the top of my Forever Favorite Scents list!

On me the leather and musk are dominant with support from the vanilla husk (a much drier and not as sweet vanilla as I tend to like in other blends, but really nice all the same) and patchouli. Thankfully the 'lilac cologne' stays faaar far away and doesn't make this overly masculine or generic in the least. Oddly enough the lemon and mahogany never really make an appearance either. The leather is a nice, worn in black leather jacket sort of leather which delights me as leather is a favorite of mine along with that delicious red musk.

It's a drop dead sexy scent and one of the only scents I have that made me seriously consider getting multiple bottles of despite how slowly I use up a 5mL. For now I've just been using up the small horde of imps I amassed while my bottle quietly ages. I'm nearing the end of my last imp so soon it will be time to crack open that bottle which every time I sneak a sniff of I can tell has just gotten better :yum:

P.S. The character association probably helps with my love for this scent, not gonna lie. :lol:

Edited by captnklaus

Thoughts before testing: Nearly everything listed here does good things on my skin, so I'm excited to try this one out!

Wet: A strong blast of patchouli and musk (maybe black? It doesn't smell the way red usually smells on me) to the exclusion of everything else.

Dry down: Whoa. Crowley turned into pure MAN on my skin. Seriously. This is an exact replica of how my last boyfriend smells. It's lovely and sexy (a lot of musk, mahogany, patchouli and leather) but I don't know if I can pull this off.

Dry: If I close my eyes, I would swear I had my nose pressed against Jamie's neck. He always smelled magnificent and drop dead sexy. This is one of the sexiest perfumes I've ever smelled, but the scent association just kills it for me.

Final thoughts: To die for, but too masculine for this feminine girly-girl. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be mooning over photos of old boyfriends.

Verdict: Off to the sales!

Tried this at Dragon*Con per recommendation "to attract the females". I wouldn't have been so clinical, but I can't really say no to that, now can I?

Wet/in bottle: Musky cologne with patchouli.

Drydown: Headshop patchouli with a bit of citrus and flowery scents.

Dry: The headshop patchouli gets stronger as the lighter notes fade, backed by musk and some woods.

Either patchouli is a death note on me, or I have some psychological aversion to anything remotely close to smelling like a headshop - I was not a fan. It's a nice complex scent with the lighter notes, and it is an excellent cologne for men (it should, indeed, "attract the females"), but I'm not rushing for a bottle any time soon.

Sampled and purchased at a spring Will Call, occasionally worn at bed time, and formally tested recently for this review. The oil separates upon standing and needs to be agitated before dispensing.

In Vitro Very strong and slightly sweet. It smelled 'dark brown' and masculine. I got possible citrus or a similar note.

Wet The same strong, sweet, 'brown' smell; I couldn't pick out any notes. The 'masculine' quality made it at once pleasant and... inappropriate, for lack of a better term. Like, "This smells good but I feel like I shouldn't be caught wearing it."

Drying Half an hour after application it was much the same, a little less strong and a bit less sweet. Two hours on the 'controversial' notes had vanished and what remained was faint cocoa and perhaps vanilla. Yum.

To quote this scent's namesake: "Whoo-ee"! One dab of Crowley cut through the cacaphony of scents at Will Call and pretty much guaranteed I would take it home. On me it starts out naughty and dries down cuddly, and while it's not for daily wear I am very happy to have this bottle.

"Hello Boys." (and no, nothing can convince me that SPN's Crowley and Good Omen's Crowley are not the same demon.)

Sweet, rich, on my skin I mostly get cologne and musk. Very nice. Must apply to hubby at some point.

• ITI: Oh, that's a deliciously seductive scent there. The lilac cologne is sophisticated, slightly haughty, yet alluring and charged when paired with the vanilla, leather, , lemon remind, and mahogany.

Wet: The vanilla, musk, and red patchouli are stronger on my skin, making the scent even more intoxicating. I would have a hard time not swooning if my man were to wear this - it's gentlemanly and fiercely sexual, but still very wearable by any gender.

Dry: It's musky, still very red from the patchouli and mahogany, and very much a delightfully sinister and alluring force from the leather and vanilla with the faint hint of cologne that remain.

This is marvellous! Right off the bat it smelled quite strong and perfumey, but as it mellowed down... Mahogany dancing with leather, mixed with spices. Spicey red leather! :wub2:

I'm not a big fan of this. It's a very sweet, very in-your-face men's cologne. When it's wet it has a note that's almost like gin, which I don't like. Then it's just that strong cologne note, with a heavy undertone of very sweet vanilla. It's quite overpowering on me.

I'm also getting something that smells very artificial/plasticy and is actually giving me a headache. I think it must be the "lilac cologne." I've had a few bpals with lilac go quite unpleasant on me, so I'm thinking that must be the culprit.

I actually want to wash this off :wacko2: I'm thinking for a masculine scent with vanilla I'd stick with Golden Priaprus. That has a lovely vanilla and is masculine in a way that is fresh and not overwhelming. Sorry Crowley, I wanted to love you!

Crowley imp

Wet/Bottle - Musk, Patchouli and a little lilac. This seems very "me" so far.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - Mmmm Patchouli and Vanilla, with leather and oakmoss following. A little lemon zing to add some lightness.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - This is a dream. It's the perfect blend of dark and light, heavy and thick but sweet. Ugh. Just, love.

I think this would work better on my man-friend than myself, so I'll be giving it to him shortly. :3

It's interesting that everyone associates sexy = leather for this. I definitely can pick up the leather, but I guess the musk and patchouli somehow fancy it up for me? I feel like this would work for intelligent people hanging out in a swanky library with plush chairs. I also think this is a bit unisex. Both my husband and I tried it on, and it works on both of us. I think I amp the leather and musk more, and he gets lots of patchouli, a little red musk, leather, and vanilla. Overall, I think this is a winner.

Wet: Wow, the musk is amazing in this. Sexy as hell. All the other notes blend together seamlessly, with the musk and patchouli coming to the forefront on me. Mmmm. Indeed.

Dry: As it dries, the patchouli overtakes the musk by a little. This is not a gnarly patchouli. It's a smoothed out, earthy, sexy patchouli. It's reminding me a bit of a less sweet Snake Oil, actually. I think that's because the notes my skin is amping are patch, musk and vanilla, I do think there's just enough masculinity to this that a man could wear it. Actually, I think it might be dead sexy on a man. Hell, this would be dead sexy on a throw cushion, it's just sexy, plain and simple. I kind of want a bottle.

Oh sweet lord, or should I say, sweet devil....... I'm on my second bottle of Crowley, it's THAT good!

Sniffing straight from the bottle, this is all red musk and patchouli, very heady. Once it hits the skin, it starts to warm up on the skin and is instantly similar to Snake Oil, spicy sweet musk and patchouli. I don't get any of the other notes but yet they're in the mix building a lovely foundation for all that musky goodness, you know? Once this beauty dries down, oh goodness, this scent is just sexy but not punch-you-in-face sexy, it's a lean-in-and-get-a-little-closer sexy. It's reads as touchable, cuddly, sexy, warm and inviting, with a mind for sin and debauchery. Sooooo. Gooood.

For me, Crowley is in the same scent family as Snake Oil, Snake Charmer, Tombeur and Black Lace. I've been though multiple bottles of all of these. If you like any one of these scents and are waffling on Crowley, give him a try, you won't regret it!

I was not expecting this (though I'm not sure what I was expecting). Leather is known to amp on me, which is basically what I end up with on drydown plus some of that lovely sweet vanilla and a tiiny bit of the lilac (which unfortunately never seems to work on me). I find this a pretty soft blend, a thick leather with a bit of lime and lots of vanilla. Dies on me after half an hour though. Too bad! This is great!

Sorting through old stuff, since I have 2 imps thingy.

In Bottle: Hm. Not sure what to make of this. Rather brimstone and leather-ish. Could go one of several ways, since my skin has a weird reaction to these more masculine/musky scents :)

Wet: Ugh. Ok. Smells kind of like a heavily perfumed goth guy I once knew. not a pleasant memory.

Dry: Why do I keep smelling this. It's changing but never in a good way. the leather-y scent has muted into a new age shop. Ugh. More and more incense less and less grounded in anything.

Not sure what I expected. Seeing as it has patchouli, which seems to go to immediate painful incense on my skin, and musks which, in my limited testing, can be very fickle, I really think these are both going in the nope pile. Sad.

I can almost never do red musk as it turns nearly every blend it contains into SN Red Musk but I have gotten away with blood musk and decided to try "infernal musk" as Crowley is my favorite character in Good Omens. And it works! Yes, it's very red musk-forward, but I also get lilac cologne and soft leather and something sweet which must be the vanilla husk. The woods stay in the background, and I don't get the lemonrind at all, but for red musk it's a surprisingly ensemble scent. I always get good throw with red musk and this is no exception. I may need a bottle of this one.

ETA I forgot to mention, as most everyone else has, that it's sexy as hell.

Edited by Lucchesa

Source: This is a fresh decant from Ajevie.

In the decant: I’m getting lots of red musk, patchouli, some lemon rind, and lilac cologne.

Wet: I get lots of musk, lilac cologne, and lemon rind at first, and then the patchouli and leather notes emerge. The red musk was super strong in the decant, which made me worried, as it tends to declare dominion over everything on my skin, but the lilac cologne and lemon rind are helping to tame it on my skin. The red patchouli note is getting stronger over time, and the leather seems to be a well-worn variety as opposed to a fresh, sharp, chemically kind. As the scent begins to dry, the oakmoss note appears. I’m not getting any of the vanilla husk at this point.

Dry: It’s darker now, as the lilac cologne and lemon rind are no longer playing prominent roles. I’m getting a lot of red musk, red patchouli, leather, and oakmoss.

After a while, the red musk and patchouli are still going really strong (and have huge throw, too), followed by the leather and oakmoss, but the scent is a little sweeter, as the vanilla husk finally decided to peek out.

Much later, I get the mahogany in the background, adding more warmth to the scent.

This is the scent of a sexy guy in a leather jacket.

Verdict: I am not a fan of red musk, and sadly, Crowley’s infernal musk is too much for me. But I love the character, so while it is not a scent I would wear myself, I’m going to try it on the boy and see what he thinks, as this would be wonderful on a guy. :)

Starts out sweet and red and warm, almost fruity? Not at all what I was expecting from the notes—I think it’s a combination of the lemon, vanilla, and musk, especially since red musk always seems to veer slightly candied/fruity sweet before it settles on my skin.

The fruitiness starts to calm down and the musk gets warmer, and takes on a little of that rougher, living quality I like so much in red musk, but it stays sweet and warm. The oakmoss starts to come out, too, and now it reminds me a bit of Fae, which my friend used to wear religiously. It has that same fuzzy sweetness that Fae has, just redder and warmer and rougher from the musk.

Something about it reads as almost foppish to me, like Montparnasse from Les Mis (“…his cravat knowingly tied, a bludgeon in his pocket, a flower in his buttonhole, such was this dandy of the sepulchre.”), or like Dorian with mussed hair and a split lip from a bar brawl. I think this suits Crowley rather well—he’s a stylish demon, but he’s also a demon who destroyed his car then held the burning wreckage together with sheer force of will and kept on driving.

Crowley also has quite a bit of throw—I kept catching whiffs of it on myself when I wore it, and my friends definitely noticed—I really don’t think he’d mind, though.

I think this might lean a bit sweeter on me than it’s meant to; quite a few of the leather blends I’ve tried seem to go much sweeter than I expect (Perversion, Jareth, and now Crowley), and when I passed this on to my friend, it dried down to something much more complex (and bitable). Either way, it’s warm and stylish and more than a little sultry—a scent for sauntering and seducing angels if there ever was one.