Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Em-

Crowley

Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk.

This was a partial imp decant from a generous forumite. It's age is apparent from the thick consistency of the oil. Almost a hazardous reddish brown, I can literally see the concentrated potency of this one.

In the imp I get heavy musk and mahogany. i can't wait to apply it and see what else surfaces, so here goes...

As they are warmed by the skin, the combination of notes is evocative of moist, high end tobacco. I am visualizing a refined older gentleman who hasn't lost a bit of his affinity for long legs and well-turned heels. My father-figure complex side finds this sort of *rowr*, but the twenty-something I am has a voice of reason that screams "He's too old for you!"

This is a gracefully stirred together work of art...I would give it a bottle shot if it were available, simply because I have had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Crowley "aged".

All the stars. This is a good one. :P

Initial thoughts: I loved this book. I loved the characters. I loved Crowley with a passion (So much so that I wrote up a film treatment of Good Omens for a piece of coursework and cast Alan Rickman as Crowley). And that is why I'm ever so slightly worried that I'm looking at this and seeing lemon rind and *shudder* red patchouli.

Patchouli has proved several times that it hates me, and several other times it has proven that it doesn't really and is perfectly capable of hanging in the background. Likewise, lemon rind isn't the terror that it once was (I had a few unpleasant experiences where I ended up smelling like air freshener). The lilac-oakmoss-vanilla combination actually sounds damn tempting, and as always I'm a sucker for leather.

In the imp: A little bit sharp on the citrus off the bat, but after a moment's thought, this is rather promising. I can definately pick up on the smoulder of patchouli, the cologne, and although I can't pick out the leather and such I can feel their presence. Mmm hmmm...

On the wrist, wet: Cologne and patchouli - it's a dark, well behaved patchouli though, definately one of the ones I can get along with. A hint of lilac and lemon, and just a little leather. This isn't a 'spectacular' scent so far, but it's coming across very distinguished and wearable.

Twenty minutes later: Blast it. This is all patchouli on me - everything else gets drowned into a vague patchouli haze. I'll test it once more before swapping - I'm not about to give up on Crowley so easily! - but I'm rather dissapointed.

Verdict: Another test before making a decision.

Tl;Dr: The patchouli spoils it for me.

I've had a book-crush on Crowley for years. Little did I know he smelled like sex in a bottle, too. This is sexy musky YUM. The closest comparision I can make is a masculine Smut, but I'd have no issues wearing this one either--it's not TOO manly. It's just GOOD!

In the bottle, this is a really nice combination. It's mostly musk and lilac, with a hint of lemon rind and leather. On wet, the tobacco begins to come through, on top of the musk and lilac. As it dries, it becomes more complex as more of the subtler scents come out. I really like this one. Works great on both me and my hubby (although, admittedly, a wee bit better on him).

Mine is aged a few months, so I'm not sure how this changed the oil. Just FYI.

Wow this is freakin sexy. It's all leather and vanilla straight out of the imp and just.. ngh. For some reason the cologne note has a hint of... chocolate to it? Though, that's PROBABLY just the addition of the vanilla that makes it smell that way. I'm hoping that when it dries down the musk and patchouli come out a little bit, otherwise this is going to have to move on. It's sexy, yes, but it would be MORE sexy on the boyf and I can't get him to wear anything other than Axe's Phoenix body spray. :||||

ETA: Hommmmmmmmmmg this just gets so much better after the dry-down period. The mahogany comes out making it so much more complex. For a while there it was starting to smell a LOT like de Sade, which I already lovelovelove, but then it changes so mmm;hlkh

Add on the fact that I tested Phobos on my other arm and when they mix and mingle in the air. Unf. So hot.

Edited by sideviewhotel

When I first tried this, it was after sniffing many other things, and this is what I wrote:

bottle: PATCHOULI hello! i typically smell patchouli super strong in the bottle so hopefully it won't be so strong on.

just on, still loads of patchouli.. a very dark oil. its calming down, getting some musk, but dry.. definitely some leather. mmmm this is nice. mahogany or oakmoss.. i've missed these dark, musky, woodsy scents. i used to wear them a lot but got away from it. its still pretty patchouli but i'm gonna give it some time to dry. there's something light on top that's probably the lilac or lemon, but i don't get either strongly.

that is nice drier. quite patchouli but smoooooth smooth smooth, definitely some lemony or vanilla-y, leathery.. yum!!

but as the evening wore on all I could smell was patchouli EVERYWHERE and it was quite nauseating. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to work on me, but I had swore to try again.

I just put a dab on and my first instincts are GAH PATCHOULI again, but it's definitely smoother now. Definitely getting some mahogany or leather. Not really any vanilla but I think it may be the musk/mahogany/vanilla tying it together. I don't smell any lilac or lemon, although the throw is fairly strong on me and from farther away I do get a sharper/citrusier scent.

It's getting more lemony as it dries. Maybe there is hope for Crowley and I after all. Oh wow the patchouli is really, really calming down. I don't even smell it in the throw anymore as was how it was killing me before. Suddenly this is turning really nice! Although I seem to have a slight lingering meh/headache from the patchouli. The boyfriend says he doesn't smell any patchouli but that it smells like old lady. Huh.

Final verdict.. meh. I want to like but I'm not really sure.

at first: red musk! red musk turns all weird and fruity on me. with anything else, crowley would be delicious. the leather, the wood, the lovely dry vanilla...

but wait: the more it dries, the less 'red musky' the red musk becomes, so maybe... hmmm.... this may not work on me all the way, but as soon as i can get it on bf, i will be trying it out. crowley has the potential to be so yummy...

Well, Mr. Crowley, I absolutely loved you for about half an hour, and then you turned on me. But what a great half hour it was!! Initially, in it's fantastic stage, this smells like a more masculine version of snake charmer, I'm freakin in love. The leather (or something here!) gives it a "dirty" quality, but not in a bad way, a sexy dirty, like a hot guy right out of the bedroom. :P After this totally awesome stage, the dirtiness takes over way too much, and I'm left with a soury worn out leather. :D I got this as a sniffie from a kind forumite, and I'm not giving up on it yet!! It seems to have morphed quickly, so maybe it'll go back. Actually as I'm sniffing, I'm getting the musk again, and the sourness is fading, so all is not lost. Will report back!!

eta, well, he kind of just faded away. I'll give him another shot though before I write him off..In fact, I wore Crawdaddy Dream earlier today, it was on all day, and I smell that. Crowley is just *gone*. Sigh.

Edited by milo

I too have a hopeless book crush on Crowley :D and I think I can safely say I love his BPALian representation too! Unfortunately the imp I swapped leaked in transit or at my house because there was only a wee drop left in the bottom. After very carefully smearing that lone drop on ye olde wrists and inner arms, I can say that Crowley smells diabolically sexy. This is a bad man who could talk you into some really fun ...ok, really naughty...things :P

This is just indecently hot :D and it keeps getting better with each passing hour as the elements show up. I mostly get wafts of red incense and musk, but there is sweet leather there too and I can't do justice to how orgasmic this smells.

Many, many bottles.

Oh yes.

I love the characters of Crowley and Aziraphale, and so on a whim I ordered both unsniffed. I am so glad I did! In the bottle, Crowley is relentlessly masculine; all patchouli and musk. On the skin, it seemed at first as if this scent, while unrelentingly sexy, might have been too masculine for me. Dry on the skin though, that cologne seems to have settled into something delectably, almost imperceptibly, sweet and spicy. The lilac and vanilla temper the leather and almost smoky blackness of the patchouli and musk into something positively devilish. Though it would be exceedingly sexy on a man, it seems to work well on me as well. It makes me feel wicked and sexy enough to maybe go out and catch a man to slather in Crowley.

Edited by Dianora

I added a bottle of Crowley to my list without even checking the notes because Crowley's character struck me as AWESOME when I read Good Omens and I secretly was in love with and/or wanted to be him.

But anyway.

I will tell you a secret: I find this knee-cripplingly sexy in a very masculine way; it's one of my favorite blends to smell but it's a little hard for me to get away with wearing sometimes. There is definitely some cologne in it, which might make people look at me funny (short hair on a short girl = little boy wearing cologne? LOLZ wut), but it's still a really nice cologne.

This is sort of a masculine and English (haha?) version Mme. Moriarty, without the red-fruit-juiciness (apparently they share the same musk and patchouli?), and at times I was also reminded of Snake Oil (though less sugary, heh). Fitting, considering Crowley's... first job in the Garden. :P

I'm not very good at picking out some of the notes but this really does feel like the idea of Mr. Crowley. Soft English leather and polished mahogany from his "full body glove" (the Bentley), lots of smooth charisma and persuasive charm (oakmoss? vanilla husk, lemon rind, lilac?), a hint of something serpentine, and radiating with fiery warmth (is that his car on fire or just his being a demon?).

Agh this is so nice. Kind of my all-time-favourite blend. I sometimes wear a teeny drop of it on my wrist or chest just to get the occasional distracting waft of Damn-I'm-Sexy even though I'll be sporting some other fantastic blend for the day. :D

Edited by MisterShrapnel

In The Bottle

Lemon, moss and musk

On Application

Oh wow. The leather and patchouli come out immediately on application. Spicey.

Dry Down

This is a real morpher on me. Starts on the skin as leather and patchouli, then quickly to lemon and woods, then to a really smokey musk and leather, then some of the cologne element comes back to blend in. Underneath it all is a smidgeon of vanilla to sweeten up it up slightly. And it keeps changing. Now it's all spicey lemon and then all mahogany and leather I love it. :P

Rating (0-5)

Whoa. In the bottle this is like 100% patchouli to me. No nuthin' else, just patchouli. However, I am not letting Crowley go without at least trying it out on me. At first it's still all patchouli, but after a while it slowly starts to seep into a lemony patchouli... then what I think is the mahogany comes out and mixes in. I was nervous that the leather would overpower on me, because leather is usually the scent that my skin burns right up to the exclusion of all else, but I can't catch even a whiff of it on me.

I think the one smells on my skin like I would want a cologne to smell on my husband. This isn't to say I won't wear this, 'cause I will, but I'm trying to think of ways to sneak this on his skin without his knowing. Hee!

This smells like Mme Moriarty's older, drunken brother-in-law that she doesn't like to come over but has too because he is married to her sister, Marianne. The patchouli in this reminds me of Mme Moriarty, the vanilla husk softens it.....but this is definitely too manish even for me. I wonder what it would smell like on a man....:P

MMmmmmm Crowley is LOVE! Wet I get leather and mahogany, with a patchouli and musk undertone. As it dries, I can get faint whiffs of the lilac, and the vanilla comes out a little bit as well. Further into the drydown, the vanilla comes out more and blends with the leather and mahogany, while the patchouli becomes a little more predominant than the musk. This is dead sexy. I'm not getting much lemon rind here, and I can only very VERY faintly detect the oakmoss. Overall the effect is earthy and woodsy, while slightly sweet. Just YUM!

OMG... This fragrance is orgasmic. It dries to a sultry sexy musk with a hint of vanilla. I don't find it masculine... just confidently female. I love it with both my nostrils.

Crowley has just shot up to the Top Ten List.

Golly is this dam-blessed sexy. The best I can describe it as is it’s like a man took off his rich leather coat for you to wear and it’s still warm and has the lingering smells from his body. I'm still not very good with notes so I can only talk about the ones I know which are pretty basic. I can smell the lemon at first, but it’s gone instantaneously (it might just be because I seem to absorb citrus like a sponge). To me its mostly leather with a musky-cologney smell sweetened by some vanilla. I categorize it as masculine, but that doesn’t stop me from wearing it. I'd love to meet a man who smells like this, or maybe just a human incarnation of Crowley.

CROWLEY! :wub2: I pined away after this scent for ages, and it did not disappoint! I just wish I had found out about how amazing this perfume was sooner.

Crowley, the perfume, is a devilishly sexy lovechild of Dee (which I like) and Loviatar (which I really like), with a few extra notes to elevate him to perfection. A lick of lemon zest to start things off, and then a haze of expensive cologne that turns smokier and spirals into an olfactory orgasm. Incensey red musk. Deep, earthy red patchouli. The perfect, and I do mean the perfect, stinging dose of black leather. Smooth, dark wood with a hint of shine. A bit of vanilla to reel you in even closer. SO GOOD. :bunnyluv: I need more! NEED. Yeah, it is quite masculine, but pshhh, whatever, I'd dab it on some days just to revel in its perfection, and slather my boyfriend in this every chance I get. :yum:

Do not think twice. Just go get yourself some Crowley! Or, better yet, get some and then send it my way. :twisted:

Sorry for the smiley/emoticon overdose. This scent just arouses... uh... strong emotions.

In the bottle: Almost overwhelmingly musky, with just a hint of leather in the background. At this point, I'm not smelling any of the lemon rind or the vanilla.

On, wet: Much different than in the bottle, for me. This is kind of a sweet leather, like the smell of old reading chairs rather than leather jackets. The musk blends well, and I get just a hint of the patchouli, no more. It's very nice, and very sexy.

On, dry: The leather and the musk are all mingled together, and the hint of citrus is obvious but not obnoxious. It is a masculine smell, as others have noted, but not so much that I'd worry about wearing it.

In the bottle: Sharp, strong, like a forest scent in the early morning. I can smell the leather. *shivers* And as I do like leather...

On my skin: ...basically the same, actually! Sharp, strong, like a forest scent in the early morning. It's got a kick to it, which is appropriate to the character it's named after. This one should last a while (or not, since I like the scent so much.) It mellows out to something strangely sweet, which I assume is the vanilla.

I would invest in many more imps/a bottle of this!

In the bottle: Lovely red musk, little bit of citrus, some cologne.

Wet on skin: Now I can smell the leather! It kind of reminds me of a sweeter Dee + red musk.

Dry on skin: Red musk, leather, faint citrus & vanilla. Delicious and sexy!

Final thoughts: Crowley, I love you! I was afraid at first that this blend would be too masculine for me, but no, it's just perfect! I'm truly happy that I bought a bottle without sniffing it first, he's a keeper! Now if I could just try it on my boyfriend...

Edited by CreamyJade

Imp: Sandalwood

Wet: Sandalwood. I'm having a hard time picking out the notes.

Drydown: After a few minutes, it sweetens up. The musk is not red musk to my nose, as some posters have noted. To my nose, it's deeper and not as sharp as red musk is on me. It's closer to black musk. The leather is peaking out ever so slightly. This is getting sweeter as it sits longer on my skin. :yum:

Overall: Wow! This is fabulous! It's like a leather jacket softened by years of wear drenched in vanilla musk. :P

Oh SAD :cry2: This smelled beautiful in the imp, all red musk-y and patchouli-y and dark and deep. Just beautiful. Then I put it on and was rewarded with that red musk and thought, "Yes, this is good."

But then the leather came out with a vengeance and threatened to take over everything else. It pushed its way to the forefront, saying "OH HAI I AM LEATHURRRRR AND I AM HERE TO STAY." And it was the kind of leather that is in Quincey Morris and Brom Bones, the kind that reminds me of a hot leather jacket on an Arizona summer afternoon, and makes me want to heave.

Man! This could have been awesome on me had leather not decided to dominate.

Wow, this is actually pretty good. I usually don't like patchouli. And this smelled ALL PATCHOULI in the bottle. But on my skin, the other notes in here are forcing it to play nice....leather, a hint of lilac, a tinge of vanilla sweetness, a waft of red musk....I love the complexity of my favorite demon. sigh.

This combination of notes ended up smelling like tobacco on me. I can see why so many people are insanely in love with this, but it's not really up my alley.