Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Huckleberry and red currant with the incisive bite of neroli.

OHHHHH the love.

In the bottle, Jester reminds me a bit of Bordello. Sooo juicy. When I first applied, it was all huckleberry and currant. This smells like something you could drink.

Now that its dry, I can smell the neroli (I am loving neroli this spring) which to my nose, brings this scent down from super juice time to a more sophisticated, velvety berry. Definitely going on the bottle list. I need more fruit in my life.

(thanks to Delphinine for this frimp!) Edited by iiinterstate

in the imp: this reminded me of jelly! it's a super sweet scent that i just can't bring myself to try wearing.

it's almost too sickly sweet. i don't think i ever got any inkling there was neroli in this, all i could smell were red currant & huckleberry.

Ohmy! This is blackberry jam on me - very sweet, very fragrant.

Tasty, but I don't fancy smelling like jam.

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else on this and say this smells very much like jam. Both in the imp and wet on my skin, this is a warm red currant, very juicy and somewhat sticky. --also very sweet, which gives the illusion of smelling a preserve or a compote as opposed to straight-up fruit.

On the dry-down, it began to smell a little like grape bubblegum, but not obnoxiously. There was something very dark green behind it all, which was what ended up on my skin after all the fruity perfume died away. It wasn't terribly long-wearing on me, and while I could definitely smell it on myself, I don't think anyone else could.

I do very much like this scent, but (believe it or not) I find it a little masculine for me.

This might be the most beautiful BPAL I have ever smelled! It is so fresh and I actually get a juicy grape-ish-ness from it. Mmmmmm! It is nice and crisp. It also has pretty good staying power. I must locate a bottle of this....

This sounds good.

In imp: Mmm. Candles, but good candles.

Wet: There's some neroli, I think? Slightly astringent is the description that comes to mind, but I don't think that's right.

Dry: The berries ran away! Well, ok, not entirely, but it all evened out. Still smells like a yummy, yummy smoothie, but one that got spilled hours ago.

Verdict: I like it, but it's not something I'd wear often.

This scent makes me smile. It is definitely playful and happy. I am not picking up the bite that a lot of people mention in their reviews. For me, Jester is fun and fruity (Currant is my friend). I love it.

Berry flavored rock candy. No morphing, just lots of high fructose corn syrup. There's a hint of something darker in there (neroli?) that gets translated into a grapey smell. I feel like a Blow Pop!

I am very excited to try this blend! I've been looking for a good juicy berry blend, and this one seems to have a lot of good reviews!

In the imp this smells quite like grape candy. Yummy and juicy and purple. Almost like grape bubblicious gum. :P I do hope it will mellow out a little on my skin, because as is I think it's a bit too much for me to actually want to wear...

Hmm...it's a bit odd on the skin-I'm not a huge fan of neroli, and that might be what's throwing this blend off for me. It's not bad, it's just sort of weird beneath that purpley exterior.

Eh, no, this just ends up being kind of weird on me. Gets kind of weird and dusty-loses all the sweet juiciness that made it so appealing. Darn. Off to the swaps.

In the bottle: Juicy, tart berries with a hint of floral. QUITE sweet; stronger on the huckleberry.

Wet: Almost bubblegum sweet - very 'pink' and fruity. Quickly starts to go a bit sharp from the neroli. There's also an artificial, plasticky note. It's a little astringent. Overall this reminds me of sickly sweet but also bitter cough syrup.

Dry: Very strong throw! The red currant has amped a bit, but the huckleberry dominates. There is still that weird sharp note. It's sort of herbal-bitter but also artificial - very strange. Neroli always goes to soap on me, so maybe it's bitter and sharp instead here?

Later: From a distance, it's all deliciously juicy-tart ripe wild berries, very summery in feel. Only within a few inches does that sharp-bitter note appear. And gosh do I love the berries in this, two of my favourite fruit notes ever!

Summary: Hmm. The currant has faded again, and the huckleberry is very sweet and herbal-earthy. While that sharp and bitter neroli has softened, it's still a bit annoying. I do prefer it to the dreaded soap, but I think it's nonetheless a dealbreaker - it's just too plasticky. Amazing throw, fades rapidly.

I thought this would be so lovely, despite the generally evil neroli, but it was overly sweet and artificial - what a shame!

I really don't like this--far too sweet and fruity for my taste. it overpowers everything, so I haven't even tried it on yet. doubt I ever will.

In The Bottle

Berryliscious.

On Application

Luscious, tart berries.

Dry Down

This is just incredible! There is very little sweetness here. It's all tart juciness. The neroli makes a gentle appearance about 20 minutes into the drydown. Lickable and lovely.

Rating (0-5)

This was a decant

Normally, I separate my reviews into stages from in the vial to a couple hours after dry down. But, Jester smells much the same in the vial as it does on after a few hours.

It smells of cotton candy (candy floss) and berry. Juicier at first. Then, it smells a little "dry" and fainter after a couple hours. The juiciness doesn't last on me. But, the huckleberry's "cotton candy" fragrance lasts & lasts on me.

Berry bubblegum! Bubblicious! Profoundly fruity and sweet, and man, it hits you like a tsunami. It's a very uplifting scent, very young and very bubbly. Fitting for its namesake! :P

After about an hour or two, sadly, it turns into a strawberry plastic on me - it smells, to me, exactly like my Strawberry Shortcake doll that I owned as a little girl; not a particularly awful smell, but not one that I would care to smell like myself. Alas!

I'm very glad that I got the chance to try this one (thanks, Becca!), but it's off to the swaps pile with Jester!

I love the idea of this blend - Shakespear's fools have a special place in my heart. That being said, I really like the smell of Jester in the bottle. Once on my skin, however... It bears an uncanny resemblance to the artificial fruit scent that dumpster cleaner has. And I really can't get past that. :P It's Locket-only for me.

ETA: I was just telling one of my coworkers about the dumpster smell. She said, "I think it smells pretty- really juicy and light!"

Edited by Damiel42

I smell like a candy necklace. From the moment I open the imp to the time I put it on I smell like a candy necklace. As much as I like to eat one, I don't want to smell like one. Off to the swaps for you! :P

My nose turns this alternately into strawberry jam and strawberry bubblegum... not a bad thing at all, because every time I smell it, it makes me smile... just strange, because I see no strawberry mentioned.

in the imp: strawberry flavored bubblegum. :P

wet on skin: same!

dry down: yup. berry candy/gum.

in all: a great "child-like" scent, good if you need to get in touch with your playful side- or to use on the little imp in your life!

:D

This is another old favorite in the GC of mine. It's candy sweet with a bite, just like the description says. Sweet and something not sweet at the bottom of it.

In bottle/imp: Super sweet berry and currant.

Immediately on skin: Wow, this is thick and sweet. The huckleberry and currant are strong and a little tart, while the neroli adds a smooth sweetness. This is sweet, sweet, sweet with nothing to temper it.

After a little while: This has gotten a bit less tart as I’ve worn it, but it is still a very sweet scent. The huckleberry blends nicely with the red currant and neroli and creates a seamless sticky sweet, thick berry scent with a hint of smooth (but sweet) florals.

Overall Impressions: This is a sweet blend. I know I keep saying it, but that’s the best way to describe it. It’s thick, juicy, sweet berries and currants with a hint of light smooth neroli. This is too syrupy for me and I like Baneberry a lot more for my go-to berry scent. I think this one is lacking anything to temper it’s sweetness.

In the imp and wet on the skin, this smells like some sort of banana berry gum or chewy candy. On drydown, it reminds me of this currant tea I like a lot, because it smells very purple. Jester is a very cute oil, if that makes any sense. I don't think I need a bottle, but will definitely enjoy my imp, especially in the Summer.

Artificial strawberry scented car air freshner.

Too young, too sickly sweet. This is one of the few BPALs that I've disliked so much that I had to wash it off. Immediately. Sorry, Jester, you're just not for me.

In the imp: Squashed berries

Wet: Huckleberries and currants. Sweet and nice!

Dry: I detect a slightly spicy note, but I mostly smell the huckleberry in this.

Overall: Love it! It's a playful, cute scent. I think I'm gonna get a big bottle of this and tell myself not to makeout with my wrist. ;p

On me, this smells just like jell-o. Specifically one of the "red" flavors. I like it a lot, and it has a great wearlength. After a while, the jell-o ness goes away a little bit, and then something a little less sugary comes out. I like it a lot, but I don't know yet how much I'll wear it.

I like this. At first it's a very Juicy Fruit scent, then it deepens. It stays a deep, sweet berry for awhile, but then it morphs into Yankee candle. I still like it, but I don't think it works for me as a perfume. I think I bought the candle, and I like it as a room scent, but as perfume it's not doing it for me.

ETA: I posted this, and looked at the review above mine, and sariasister nailed it! Red jello! (And I love red jello, but not as a personal scent!) :P

Edited by tuesday