Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Huckleberry and red currant with the incisive bite of neroli.

Jester is all sweet berries at first, and sort of smells kind of Kool-Aid-ish. As the scent dries down, some green notes creep in and eventually take over almost completely. The drydown is mostly green with the sharpness offset by a slight sweetness (presumably from the berries). Not bad, but I much prefer Bewitched for a berry/green scent because of the depth added by the musk.

Edited by tempete

In the imp: Sweet berries.

On, wet: Sweet berries.

Later: Sweet berries. But it's a very different berry scent than Lady MacBeth. There's no neroli, no bite at all, but it's a warmer berry. Lady M is all cool, sharp, sweet raspberry, while this is a warm, comfy, sweet huckleberry.

In the Imp: Rich deep purple berries with a hint of something herbal in the background, might be the neroli. But it makes me yearn for some berry salad.

Wet on skin: HOLY BERRIES, BATMAN! It is so delicious I can't stop smelling myself. I don't think I've ever smelled huckleberries before, but it smells like a mixture of raspberries and blackberries. If Jester were a color it would be dark deep purple.

Drydown: It is berries, but every so often I get a hint of something green and herby in the background which prevents the smell from going too sweet on me.

Final Note: This is the longest lasting scent I have tried yet. Throughout the day at work, I catch whifs of myself. I love this berry scent and would seriously consider using it as a home fragrance as well. Yummy.

This is really sickly-sweet, it's not me at all. Very bubblegummy to begin with, it loses some of that on the drydown, but I still far prefer Lady Macbeth for a red currant/berry scent. I imagine this might work well as a linen or maybe room scent, though, so I might keep it around a little longer.

At first, this smelled just like strawberry bubblegum to me, but after about thirty minutes it softened down into a sweet, fruity scent. Even if it's a little loud at first, give it a shot and you may be surprised. I just love this perfume, however it is not for everyday wear.

Unfortunately, the bright sweetness that I love gives my boyfriend a headache. So I doubt I'll be ordering a big bottle, but an imp of this every now and then would definitely hit the spot.

Jester is a very very berry scent with just a hint of something herbal in the background. It is similar to Bewitched, but sweeter, almost overripe, and not at all the love affair I expected, to be honest. I have a hard time imagining when I would reach for this instead of Carnivale or Bewitched...

Edited by emzebel

Jester is too sweet and sickly for me. I got this as third imp of a three imp Ebay sale (so didn't chose it) but thought I should at least try it!

Its definitely a false fruit smell like you would find in a cheap scented candle, room scent or the Body Shop's Dewberry perfume. It smells like of the taste of strawberry bubblegum or sweets.

An instant headache producer, I've made my arm sore scrubbing it off, and still the scent lingers - its a long lasting one :P

Sorry Jester, I'm afraid you are off to the swap pile!

B

Jester

in vial: sweet berries

wet: smells like those strawberry hard candies that have the soft center

dry: sweet berry with a hint of neroli...a yummy blend...lasts about 4.5 hours

verdict: this goes on my big bottle wishlist

This scent is kind of loud and crazy. Berries and kool-aide. I really like it.

I can't wear it, but I like it on other people

Wow this is a powerful BERRY blend. It smells so yummy in the vial, but on my skin it just turns to kool-aid and strawberry candy.

I really like this, but it's not something I want to wear.

Yet more proof that berries and I don't get along. It smelled like a bowl of berries that had been left out inthe sun for a few days, and started to ferment and rot. *sigh*

In the bottle: Ooooh. *Berries.* Sweet, juicy berries. Not a fake smell at all - like actually crushing a handful of berries in your fist on a hot summer day.

Wet: The juicy scent remains, but there's a bit of sugariness to it as well, which is nice because it balances out the acidic nature of the fruit.

Drydown: This one stayed *very* true to the wet stage, and lasted at LEAST ten hours. Even twelve hours later, I could still smell it, but it had faded by then to a more run-of-the-mill sort of base scent.

Sugary berries. Sweet sweet sweet. I can see how others have gotten bubblegum from it - it's definitely berries, but with a strong dose of sugar added. It's a fun scent, but not something I'd reach for often. This might be good on a cold winter's day when I'm missing summertime.

It's pretty strong and lasts several hours.

Imp

Very fresh berries! What a fun scent. I can smell the current very well.

Wet

Wow. This is very strong and I am enjoying it simply because it reminds me of my favorite gum as a kid.

Dry

This has mellowed down to smell like my strawberry shortcake toys from when I was little as well as my strawberry shortcake bath mix. While I am not really sure I can wear this, I am not sure I can let this go. This is like my childhood in a bottle....so many different aspects of this blend that are dead on to my favorite childhood stuff.

Hello berries! That's all I get from this -- just straight-up berry without anything else -- but it's a wonderful scent. And really, apparently I can't have too many berry scents. A winner, definitely.

Mmmmm, huckleberry! I love huckleberry jam, and when I first opened the imp of this it immediately brought to mind the jam. Honestly I couldn't pick out any notes other than the sweet, sweet huckleberry for the entire time I wore Jester. It's very strong -- I had to apply just the tiniest bit -- but it didn't last for more than 2 hours.

Jester

In the imp: juicy, moist, tart-sweet berries. Almost like strawberry, or cranberry, reminiscent of something from the Body Shop.

Wet on skin: this sweetens, becomes more like candy than the true fruit smell in the imp, I think the neroli’s adding a bit more sharpness to the scent though.

Dry: mmm, interesting. The scent’s now gone very much like a soft drink or fruit candy/chewing gum sort of smell, and dare I say it’s a bit synthetic smelling, though I get a slight greenness from this scent. There’s a definite tangy, almost fizzy aspect to the scent, but with a lot of sweetness as well. It’s quite a fun scent.

After a while: it’s still keeping that ‘fruit gum’ scent. It’s not bad, but I wanted more of a real fruit scent from this, but all I get is purple candy with an odd plastic feel and a growing sourness-it reminds me of those sour bubble gums!

After an hour, the scent becomes a more genuine and less candy-ish scent of crushed currants. It’s juicy and a bit sharp, like red currants should be, but it’s really now all currant and not much else. I prefer this to the sour candy scent I got before.

Verdict: at first, this seemed to have promise-a juicy tart berry scent which reminded me of something from the Body Shop, but more like real berries as well. But on the skin, it turned to fake fruit candy. Now, I do usually like candy scents and bubblegum scents but this one doesn’t do it for me. I dunno, it just smells a bit fake on my skin, and also quite sour by the end-it reminds me of sour fruit bubblegum-I think with a synthetic grape-berry flavour? However, it does turn to a more natural currant scent upon drydown. But I’m afraid I’m not keen on this, so it’s up for swaps.

Just like everyone says, it's a helluva lot of berry smell. When I put it on me, the tartness turns to artificial fruity smells, and it's like kool-aid blended with really cheap strawberry lotion. After a while, it seems to become more natural, but if I actually stop and sniff my wrist, it smells cheap again. It's somehow compelling, though- like a memory scent? Maybe because it does hearken back to the strawberry shortcake days, eh?

I see no big bottle of Jester in my future, but I'm glad I got the imp to sample.

EDIT: I just layered a little bit of 13 on top of Jester, and I'm sort of enjoying the scents as they're starting to meld. Unfortunately, about ten minutes in, it turns slightly acrid, and I'm feeling a little nauseated. I haven't worn 13 yet, and I'm hoping that's not what's doing it- I really hope it's just the blend. :P

Edited by cordia

The frimp of Jester that came with my last order leaked in the package, so the smell of it has been hanging around the table where I opened the box. It's a tart, bright, fruity smell and I'm quite enjoying walking past that corner of the room and catching a whiff.

On my skin, the same tart fruitiness is the wet scent. On drydown, the neroli starts to take over and it becomes much softer with occasional reprises of the initial tartness.

I keep sticking my nose in the teacup where I put the leaky imp, so there's definitely something addictive about this one. However, it's not the kind of scent I see myself wearing on a regular basis, so no big bottle for me.

This was another freebie that came with my first order.

In the vial: Very berry, tart. Nuff said.

On me, the fruits in this blend ran amuck thanks to my skin disliking most predominantly fruity blends. They all turned overly sweet on me and soon gained a distinctly rotten note! :P

Rotten Jolly Ranchers was all I'm getting from this from close to the start until finish. I don't know huckleberries, but I used to love red currant (not as smell, the actual berries). Would have been interesting to find a scent with them in there that worked on me...

Ah well, they can't all fit! Off to swap/sale pile!

In The Bottle Apples?? What the heck?

Wet On Cherry. Plasticy cherry. What is wrong with my nose today??

Dry Hmmmm. Warm berries, like berries out in the sun. But it's beginning to go musty smelling on my skin. I think this one just doesn't match with my chemisty. Very sad. I think I'll have to wash it off, and into the swap pile it'll go. I really wannted to like this one too.

Edited by Lizzie

In the bottle: I smell, pineapple??? Wth? I don't get berries, I get pineapple. Hmm.

Wet: sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet, SWEEEEEEET!!!!! Did I mention sweet? My skin tends to bump up sweet a notch, you know BAM! :P The question is, will it calm down again, and if it does will it smell like hard candy, or old lady? Inquireing noses want to know.

Dry down: candied pineapple. There I go with the pineapple again.

30 minutes: sweet candy and a floral underneath, like jasmine? Jasmine and Paperwhites always have a bitter funk smell to them. This has that funk underlying things.

Conclusion: Nope, not for me, washed it off.

Rating on my skin, this is a 1.

I received an imp of Jester tucked into my recent order, with all sorts of other lovelies, and tried it today without checking the notes beforehand (because I am overly influenced by words, I am, & I wanted to see what my errant nose thought about this).

In the vial it smelled of berries, and the first daubs at my wrists, neatly sniffed, make me think--strawberry? raspberry? berries in the sun with a little twist of sour?

(I didn't think of huckleberries, though that makes sense, now that I have checked the notes).

It's a very happy scent, and very young. Reminded me of a straight raspberry oil I used to unwisely scent myself with, when I was a young 20 something.

On my skin the berry scent twisted a little. Cinnamon? Spice? (there is nothing like this in the oil, must be my skin).

Reminded me of eating red jello powder straight from the box.

Or, possibly, gum drops.

But it is not overwhelmingly sweet, more drenched fruit.

I am not certain it wafts about the room much (no one is looking around to see where the berries are) but it clings to my skin pretty steadily, even 8 hours later. It is very pleasant, but maybe a little too unsophisticated for my current self.

However, I think my daughter is likely to love this--and anyone who loves summertime and wildstrawberries should be really happy with it. (My nose doesn't pick up the neroli, which is a scent I love straight, but maybe that initial slightly sour but pleasant note was the neroli reaching my novice nose.)

Update: saw lovely daughter today (she's a vibrant 20 year old) and said "hey, I have something for you to try". She was initially "ew, I don't want to smell like blueberries". I said "wait, I have a feeling this will change a little on you". Indeed it did; while retaining the sweetness of the berries--still more wild strawberry than huckleberry to my nose--it developed a surprisingly mature smokiness on her skin. Very lovely, and it lasted a long, long time. She wants me to get her a bigger bottle.

Edited by jarvenpa