Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Huckleberry and red currant with the incisive bite of neroli.

I'm reminded of going huckleberry picking in the woods across the road from my grandparents' house as a child. The tiny blue-black berries. Sticky fingers and purple tongues. My little sister eating all the berries she picks, and filling up her bucket from Dad's when he isn't looking. Bees lazing through the warm summer air. Racing with my cousins to see which of us could pick the most berries. Fresh huckleberry pie coming out of the oven and my grandmother's amazing huckleberry preserves.

And after wearing this out last night, this is definately going on my Big Bottle list if it wasn't already. A fellow regular at my favorite bar glued himself to my side whenever Davin wasn't around, after sniffing my wrist. Even one of the bartenders flirted with me more than usual, and he's an avowed flirt. :P

This has an overpowering smell of sweet fruit candy, like Starburst Fruit Chews. All I had to do was take the top off the imp and whoa fruit candy!

And on me it was the same. I smelled as if I had bathed in fruit syrup. It's not a bad scent - in fact, it's rather pretty - but it's just not me, not for a personal scent. I might save the imp for a room scent though.

Very, very fruity. I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise given the notes. It's actually somewhat reminiscent of Akuma, but less sweet and a little more interesting.

It's not bad, but I still think that overall, I tend to prefer my fruit scents with a little more in the way of non-fruit notes mixed in. Musk, amber, resins, herbs... Any of these tend to add more complexity and make things more interesting. And also longer-lasting -- Jester was OK while it lasted, but didn't stick around long.

Still, reasonably enjoyable. It's a bit like a more gender-neutral Maenad, but I think on the whole I like Maenad more. I may or may not keep this imp, we'll see.

Grade: B

wet, juicy, ripe fruit......omg, in one word, lucious.........

once applied the fruity goodness gets amplified in a splendidly glorious way......

:P

gosh, this is so pretty!!!! i can hardly wait to wear this in the red, hot summertime

as this scent seems just perfect for a warm and sultry day at the beach

Jester is brilliant!!

This scent is pure Sweet Tarts. Wearing it makes me feel really happy. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. Must not lick wrist, must not lick wrist...

Jester was really strong in the imp and on my skin. It smelled like dark, dark berries and the richness of a desert liquor. But it wasn't sweet, really. It had good staying power and LOTS of throw on me...but my skin amps up fruits.

It smelled so good in the bottle and when it immediately touched my skin. But then it turned into this extremely sour watermelon Jolly Rancher smell. The sourness has faded, and it's settling into this fruity juicy watermelon hard candy scent. It's nice, but not enough for me to wear regularly.

I love fruity scents, but this didn't work at all. It smells like potpurri (I spelled that wrong didn't I). That's nice if you want to smell like that, but it reminds me of grandmas. It smells like my grandma's house used to smell like or if you walked into a candle shop. It's definitely fruity, but there's something else in here something spicy that is making it not so good to me. Then I had to go out for a special occassion and I wanted to smell my best so I layered Lady Macbeth over it and then it was much better. But the fact that I didn't want to wear it out kind of said that this will likely be getting swapped/sold.

In the imp: Fruity and sweet

On my skin: Watermelon bubble gum! It smells like a certain brand of bubble gum that I always had as a kid, but I can't remember the name. I'm not sure where the watermelon is coming from, but that's all it smells like to me.

In the vial I got strawberry Bubbalicious gum...

I think someone else had mentioned this in their review - and let me tell you - I totally agree.

I REALLY like it in the vial, so on the skin, I'm hoping for good things...

Wet, wow, really pretty...

It's tart, but sweet...it smells like a candy - a sweet tart almost...

Mmmm berries, but citrus...

This is so fantastic and I love how everytime I sniff it - I get something else! :P

As it dries, it's a little more citrus than it is berry, and I still adore it..

I want it in a 10ml.

HURRAY! NEROLI! :P I lovez neroli.

In the bottle: Helloooooooooooooooo berries! I eat you, k? K.

Wet: The berries are having a party! I don't smell any neroli yet though. ;_; I like this so far. Kinda reminds me of Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo. And that one I love.

Dry: Yay! Neroli is fashionably late to this party! Kinda binds everything together. This is a scent though that I have to wear in moderation coz of the berry-ness.

...hee...party! :D

Edited by RavenVelith

In imp: strawberry shampoo and black antiquing. Yeah, I just used a jewelry-specific smell. Oh well.

Wet: sour berries and a little bit of a bitter kick from the neroli.

Drydown: soapy berries and...paper fire smoke. I have no idea why these notes are going so wonky on me. There must be an unlisted ingredient throwing things off for me.

Dryer: burnt plastic and blackcurrant.

Driest: I'm starting to get a truer currant smell in the throw, but not when I sniff my skin. It's pretty, but this phase isn't worth waiting through the weird ones for.

Drought: OK, 30 minutes later, it's finally pulled together. It's very pretty, and I'd consider buying it if I didn't have all these wonky phases to go through.

I'm really bummed. I wanted to like you, Jester!

Edited by ladymissspyder

On, this is ripe and juicy berries, dripping with juice. There’s a faint note far in the background that must be the neroli – neroli to me has always had a sharp, bitter quality. There’s something here that forms a point or a pinnacle in the background. It almost smells like there could be jasmine in here but I think it’s the bite of the neroli.

This smells like the same berry that’s in Florence. I love those berries. There’s a fair bit of similarity. After the oil has been on a bit, the neroli smoothes out and Jester turns into this very nice berry-floral scent (this is where the similarity to Florence comes in). It makes a good perfume but I think it would be even better in bath gel or bubble bath.

Oof! Berries berries berries! In the bottle it's just berries. I feel like I've been attacked by the cast of Strawberry Shortcake. Once it's on my skin though, the neroli comes out and balances it perfectly, keeping it from being too sweet. This one is a lot of fun!

A fresh, sweet and slightly tart berry, mixed in with neroli. I'm not a fan of the neroli note in here, although it does add a little to the fragrance in a way. It smells slightly herbal-ish on my skin, though. Regardless, I do enjoy this scent. The berry note is very nice.

Jester - Back in 1992, I went to the Minnesota Rennaisance Festival and picked up a perfume oil blend from a vendor. It turned out to be my #1 favorite fragrance of all time. The problem was, I couldn't locate that perfume oil ever again. I have searched and searched for the past 13 years for either that fragrance or one very similar. I have kept that original oil on hand with a few drops left in it for reference as I'm comparing new oil scents, and I've been completely unsuccessful at finding a substitute for my all-time favorite perfume oil blend. And then I met "Jester." Jester is strikingly similar to that original oil I fell in love with, and naturally I was instantly intrigued with it. It's not as warm or smooth as the other one -- it's juicier, crisper, and tarter -- but really nice in its own right. Upon first application, the huckleberry note is really strong, juicy, and sweet. I feel incredibly "fruity" when wearing it. And the scent really lingers -- and not just close to the skin. It only take a teeny tiny bit to make me and the whole room I'm in smell wonderfully alive and "freshly juiced" -- which is amazing because with my dry skin, I usually have to apply much more when using a fragrance oil. After about 30-45 minutes, the juiciness of the scent calms down, and the spiciness of the neroli really starts to shine. But the strange thing is that the scent lingering around my person in general is still that fresh, crisp, juicy scent, while the spicy bite of neroli is what I smell when I sniff my arm up close. I love the way this incredibly simple blend (huckleberry, red currant, neroli) is so complex in the way it manifests itself on my body. I have quite a bit of Jester in my life now, and will probably use every last drop eventually.

Initial Impressions HUCKLEBERRY!

Bottle: Oh, yum, yum, yum. The fruitiness of it makes me so hungry for fresh berries! Sweet, kind of like candy, but good candy that you want to suck on all day long. It’s, it’s, it’s… juicy.

Wet: I don’t know what happened, but the fruits are being taken away. The neroli is really predominant now, but it’s rounded down by the presence of the huckleberry. It doesn’t smell exactly like it, but it’s berryish, so I’m not disappointed.

Drydown: Fruity goodness… it’s so good, like a really rich berry pie. I don’t like eating them, but I like smelling them!

Dry: ARGH. It fades so quickly. After an hour, there was only a breath of a scent left. I would have loved this on my skin for a longer period of time. Maybe it would work better in a scent locket of sorts?

Overall: Like it, but with the way it fades on me, I’d have to slather a whole bunch on for it to be any good. But it smells so good! Decisions, decisions, decisions. I’ll probably try putting it on a satchet and see how it works in my clothes, or as a thing to hang by my bed while I sleep.

Wet, drydown, and dry: Berry bubblegum! Very sweet. No neroli in sight.

This is a youthful, fun, happy blend, and it's my favorite BPAL berry so far. I'll keep my imp, and if I use it up, I'd consider a bottle.

On me, with my amazing fruit-enhancing skin, this is an incredibly strong, artificially-sweet fruit punch. It is quite, quite horrible! *runs to wash it off*

One to be wary of if you tend to amp berries/sweetness.

In the bottle: This is sweet, and somehow so innocent. Reminds me of Bubble Yum, but in a good way... normally I find that the BPAL sweet scents are too cloying, but this is delish.

First on: Bananary goodness. Not much of a morpher.

Dry: A quick fader, and not quite as good dry as that delicious wet stage. But I don't care. I love it and will keep it and pet it and call it Fizzgig

ever use Suave's Strawberry shampoo? not the strawberries and cream, just the plain bright almost neon pink strawberry?

it was my favourite before i started colouring my hair, and this reminds me SO much of that scent.

part Generic Red Flavour, part Strawberry, and part.... mystery syrup you find at IHOP or small bed-and-breakfast type places.

yes, there's an eensy bit of a spicy, dried-something, potpourri type smell.... but i don't think that's a bad thing

the end result is a yummy, happy, fruity scent that's altogether too happy and cheerful for me to wear on a daily basis, with a (burnt) plastic-verging-on-ammonia note that lingers past everything else -- cuz the syrupy sweet doesn't last more than an hour on me.

On my skin, this smelled a LOT like the early stages of Bordello, which means, I love it! However, when this dries, it becomes a lot more innocent and less complex than Bordello, which is fitting of its name, surely.

Sadly, this lovely berry scent does not last long on me, and is already fading in the drydown. I will keep the imp, but I am not sure if I could see myself buying a bottle, 'cause I would probably burn through it so fast from reapplying ever 5 minutes :P . (plus, it smells so much like Bordello on me and I already have and love Bordello...)

still, all in all, a fantastic berry scent.