Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Mr. Nancy

Sugar cookies with bay rum, tobacco, and lime.

In the bottle: Sour lime and tobacco. Oh, ew. I was so disappointed. But I was determined to give it a try, so I broke a tine off a clean plastic fork and tested it on my wrist.

Wet: The lime backed off, thankfully, but still was too there. I got more tobacco. Which wasn't so bad as I love the smell of unburned cigarettes.

Twenty minutes later: The lime has gone altogether, and the rum and sugar have turned up along with the tobacco. It's kind of masculine, but mmmmm. Yum. Good.

in the bottle sour and soggy, like cookies dipped in lemonade. very sharp and not very attractive.

wet on skin well, wait a minute. that's not half bad. the lime is strong, but not tart. it's a sweet, sticky lime, just oozing out sugar and syrup. it's also fairly dry, which is nice. you wouldn't want lime this sweet to be juicy or fresh.

dry on skin it goes a little bit desserty on me, but i'm an all-purpose sweetener, so this doesn't surprise me. what does surprise me is how much i enjoy this scent given how turned off i was by the smell in the vial. definitely a future bottle purchase.

indeed, it was a future bottle purchase and now that future bottle is a present bottle, so i bring mr. nancy (redux)

in the bottle burnt sugar and lime, much more lime than i remember in the decant

wet on skin soooo much more lime....

dry on skin sweet, sweet lime, so round and beautiful from the caramelized sugar note with a certain spiciness that must be coming from the bay rum and a dry, heady, dark vibe from the tobacco.

i think i love this more than i did before.

Edited by ravenfeathers

in the vial: sweet and rum and lime - it made me think of Christmas pudding!

wet on skin: I was stupid enough to spill half the imp on the table, so now I've really slathered it on! It's still extremely Christmas puddingy, which is lovely. It's also smoky - like Christmas pudding that's just had flaming brandy poured over it! I'm not getting lime specifically, but there's definitely a citrus peel smell.

dry on skin: smoky, sweet, fruity and alcoholic! It's not like tobacco smoke - it's more a spicy wood smoke. The lime is discreetly making it's presence known in the background. Close to the skin, the smokiness is offputting, but the throw is much sweeter and fruitier. I don't know if the raisins I'm smelling are really there or if my brain is adding them because they seem to fit! I need to try this one a few more times to be sure about it. The sweetness is dry rather than syrupy and it's really yummy!

After a couple of hours the smoke has turned to butter! It's rich and exotic and foody and very unusual. It lasted well over 9 hours - in fact, it was still lingering pleasantly next day, despite a long shower. Very nice indeed!

It's a really unusual smell, with definitely addictive qualities. A friend was kind enough to send me a decant, but it's now on my bottle list.

in the vial: strong lime with rum

wet on skin: still getting strong lime, but there's something almost medicinal in it somewhere. that backs away quickly, thankfully, and i start to smell the sweetness - spicy lime turning into an almost foody tobacco, or is that the sugar cookie?

dry on skin: OMG, yum!!! Spicy, tart (though the lime is now in the background), smokey tobacco and a bit boozy - it's a sweet booziness or a sweet tobacco and rum mixture maybe. Whatever it is, it's wonderful!

after an hour: Wow! This has turned very sweet - spicy sugar cookies. I keep catching random whiffs of it (pretty good throw on me), and I am in love.

I just started reading Anansi Boys last night, so it seemed like a good time to dip into my Mr Nancy decant.

On the one hand it's a sweet, juicy, refreshing scent (sweet sugary cookies and lovely lime, not bitter); on the other it's masculine and a little bit oaky-musty smelling, but very smooth - in that way it reminds me a little of The Forbidding Foyer. Seems like two very strange scent polarities to bring together, but the result is comforting and addictive.

at first: lots of run, with an edge of sweetness and a hint of lime.

on: tons of rum. eek!

3 hours later: this smells really odd on me. there's a lovely sugar cookie scent at first, but there's something odd underneath that.

5 hours later: yeah, just...odd. bad-odd, not interesting-odd. i can't just enjoy the lime/sugar cookie / rum scent, because the odd scent is throwing me off.

overall: i'm going to go ahead and blame the bad turn this took on the tobacco.

on me, it smells like Body Shop's White Musk, which I used to wear years ago...mixed with a tiny bit of sugar cookies and spice. I like it and might take my imp off the swap page, after trying it again...but I don't see myself reaching for it often. It smells a bit colder than I like to go...

Oh, this is heavenly. Sweet sugar cookies with sharp lime (almost like wearing a mojito cocktail, which is my favourite drink on earth) and a pinch of tobacco adding a faint touch of slick licorice-y darkness to it. I am utterly in love.

In the bottle: crinkled nose and smooshed face-inducing bitterness. Can't even detect specific notes at this point, but it just smells bad.

Wet: I'm getting musty citrus. Not loving it, but the scent is starting to mellow, and the soft cookie scent is starting to come out.

Dry (about 45-60 mins): Ah finally! soft gentle cooke scent, with a little bit of lime and booze. And then... gone! completely sucked up by my skin. No wafting goodness, hardly any scent on my wrist once it morphs into something so yummy. :P

Alas, I'm pretty sure this one is headed for the swap pile.

When I smelled this in the bottle, I didn't particularly like it; the only way I can describe it is that it smelled "off" to me.

On my skin, I loved it! The main note is tobacco - like pipe tobacco. There's an underlying note of sugar cookie; fortunately not strong, just enough to cut the sharp edge of the tobacco.

As I wore it longer, the tobacco is going away and the lime is coming to the forefront, still with an underlying sugar cookie note. I never did smell the rum.

The throw on this is stronger on me than about anything I've tried.

All in all, a keeper; in fact, I will keep my eyes open for more.

I don't often hoard bottles but as soon as I got one bottle of this and tried it I ordered another bottle..heavens forbid some key ingredient in it goes kaput or whatever.

Lime butter cookies and rum.. wonderful pipe tobacco scent weaving in and out of it. Its got citrus without being cold, is yummy-foody without being cloying, has tobacco but isn't too overtly macho..though a man could wear it. The rum for me isn't too boozy as some alcoholic drink scents (wine,etc) tend to be on me.

I like this best as a warm weather scent..didn't reach for it much this winter.

The notes listed all manifest for me in pleasing proportions but it sure is interesting to read who amps what notes and how differently many of us percieve the dominance of certain notes versus others!

Wet - Lime Sugar Tobacco Cookie

Dry - Not getting any rum (which is fine with me) the Lime Sugar Cookie is fading to the background and I'm getting mostly the tobacco and even that is faint.

Verdict - If this stayed all lime sugar cookie, I'd have to get a vat. I used to work in a cigar shop and while I like the smell of the humidor, I really don't get wanting to smell like one. Not buying a bottle of this.

In the imp, this was pure sugar cookie-- foodie and kind of vanilla, slight hint of lime.

On my skin, this suddenly became the booziest thing in the world. I haven't experimented with boozy scents much, so it's possible my skin amps those notes. I swear, I smelled like I'd smeared rubbing alcohol on myself for a good half hour, or like I was waiting for the alcohol to burn off in a generic scent... ick.

At this point, I've rinsed my hands, which I think took a bit of the scent off. I'm getting a bit of the tobacco, and for he first time, that's not going horribly wrong on my skin. I definitely still smell a hint of the rum, and maybe a faint mist of lime.

Not for me-- just too boozy.

In bottle: Yum, rich buttery rum cookies with a lime citrus bite. The burnt sugar’s making me hungry. Wet: Lighter and less heady than in the bottle. More cookie, less rum, though still pleasantly foody. I could eat this right up. Given time, the tabacco will come out. The whole effect is surprisingly cozy. Nice. Dry: It retains a solid tobacco and rich baked goods effect right to the end of the fade, though the lime goes mostly dormant.

I think I've said this somewhere else before, but Mr. Nancy can be perfectly summed up in two words: Naughty Cookies.

To begin with, it's all very bright rum and lime with the faintest of sugars. That lasts about half an hour or so before the cookies start to dominate and take a creamy buttery turn - either the rum or the lime (by now I can't distinguish the two but I'm betting both with the rum in front) stop it from becoming too cloying and too innocent (:P) and it's all darkened just a little bit by the tobacco.

Lasts for ages and ages, fairly good throw, and fits the character perfectly. But do I want a bottle, I wonder...

Bottle: Oh ew. This is absolutely disgusting in the bottle. I'm almost afraid to try it. D:

Wet: Thank God, the disgusting smell goes away immediately. Now I'm getting a lot of sugar cookies, with some smoke and rum. I'm not *completely* getting the butterscotch smell a lot of people seem to be getting, but it's a very close thing.

Dry: Oooh, I'm getting a bit of the "butterscotch" a lot of people seem to be getting, but with something a little... sharper? Maybe that's the lime.

Verdict: Haven't decided if I'll keep him around, but definitely won't kick him out of bed just yet.

?/5

Edited by gnl

Au Bon Pain makes a cookie that I have eaten many, many times as a snack on the wards. It's called the 'Key Lime Sugar Cookie,' and it's a hefty, sprinkle-encrusted beast that tastes like a buttery shortbread cookie, yet also tastes very limey and citrussy. This perfume smells like that cookie tastes.

Which, to me, also evokes the smell memory of it being 2:30 AM, I'm very tired and slamming down a cup of coffee and eating one or two of these instead of a proper meal, my hair is mussed up, I'm not able to smell like BPAL because I'm working, and my break ends in about two minutes.

Wet, from the bottle, it's all a strange mishmash of bright lime hovering over a sugary, buttery bread/cake note, on my skin, it's almost as if I've layered two perfumes, one of Beth's mad foody ones, and one of her dapper gentleman's lime colognes/fougeres, and on me, they don't really 'come together' on the skin. However, as a joint fragrance, it smells totally like I've been indulging in cookies.

If cookies were a drug, this would be the equivalent of a whiskey binge. I have the unmistakeable aroma of a torrid night with a few too many little tasty golden circles.

OK, I am swooning; this is the nectar of the gods! the tobacco is lovely; old school cigar. The tobacco with the rum and lime make me think of my trip to San Juan, and the sugar is just a sweet note of beauty on top of it all. Yum!

Mmm, sweet, spicy, and a touch of rum. I thought that this would be too sweet on me, but the spices seem to balance everything out. I really do think that this is a Christmas type scent for me, though, and probably won't touch it until then.

I had been really wanting to try this scent out and finally found someone swapping a 5ml. :P

To me, it is all lime sugar cookies! A little masculine but I can get away with wearing it. And it's very very lovely in the scent locket too.

The rum and tobacco come out so strong on me, after it's all dry and settled down I can kind of smell the lime and the tiniest bit of sugar.

In the bottle: Oh so sweet. Very limey, but in a candy-like way.

On skin: There's much more sugar cookie, which is nice. As with all tobacco scents, my skin has eaten it whole. It does have a nice hint of spiciness to it, which I think it the rum coming out, but I'd like it a bit boozier.

A nice light scent on me, but I don't think I'll be getting a bottle.

...Oh man, I'm so gonna layer this with Miskatonic University. I'll smell like a coffee shop.

I've had this for a long time now. (I believe I got it when it was first released) I never really tried it (I don't think) because not long after I got it I got pregnant and omg, the morning sickness kicked in.

So I kept going back recently, sniffing the bottle and thinking, ewww...this is going to be way too sweet, why did I keep it?

I am so glad I did!

Wet: A fizzy, sweet lime drink. Oh wow, this is yummy though I'm not sure I want to smell like this for long.

Drying down: mmmm.....it calms down. The lime goes into the background and out comes this sweet spicy slightly boozey cookie scent. I'm not a foodie person but this smells awesome.

Dried: It's a spiced sugar/vanilla with just the barest hint of tobacco.

I love this and I'm sooooo happy I never got rid of the bottle. I have a feeling this will get worn a lot once the cooler weather rolls in. :P

ETA: As it dries down further a bit more of the tobacco comes out, but in a good way. It really balances out the sugar to keep it from becoming to sweet.

Edited by Femme_Fatale

Key Lime Pie!!

I smell wonderful.

The drydown is shaping up to be lovely too - the lime dying down slightly while the tobacco and rum come out to play.

Mr. Nancy, that charming old coot, is going on the list of "Bottles to Buy Once CD Stops Eating All My Money".

Simply put, Mr. Nancy makes me want to dance. Dum de dum dee dum <shuffle shuffle shuffle> He is so perfectly in character from the book! Beth is amazing. I can't help but laugh and be happy with Mr. Nancy around. Lots of lime and tobacco in the bottle and on wet. Drying down I get the spicy rum and an even darker tobacco scent. Lord! This man turns my head :P He may be loud and embarrassing but he knows how to show a girl a good time!