Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Mr. Nancy

Sugar cookies with bay rum, tobacco, and lime.

On my skin, Mr. Nancy is all about a delightfully smokey pancake syrup. The lime pops up now and again, but very faintly.

Okay, so when did Mr Nancy become Curry Plant? I put some of this on this afternoon, walk into where my husband is sitting and he says "what now, curry perfume?" :P

And its true, on me Mr Nancy is all cumin and curry plant all of the time, it is quite overpowering, I smell like garam masala being dry roasted :D Nice in food, but rather odd as a perfume.

I like Mr. Nancy. He's fun, and made me realize that I absolutely LOVE lime in perfume. The tart green lime has me enchanted. And he does last, oh does he last and last. However, my boyfriend despises him. He says that while it's true he loves the smell of maple syrup when he's about to eat it, he does not like it on me, and requests that I do not invite Mr. Nancy over when he's going to be around (it was this same reaction that made me eventually swap off Sugar Skull). I think he'd rather I called in Mama-Ji. Ohh well, you can't please everybody all the time! I'll just have a secret little fling and let that be that. :P

(curry?? now I know someone has even stranger chemistry than I do! :D )

AAAAAAHHH!! I LOVE THIS!!

In the Bottle: those lemon cookies that have powered sugar on them

Wet: DUDE! This is so gorgeous! Bright, refreshing lime and fresh baked cookies. I usually only eat cookies with chocolate in them, but this is a buttery, sugar cookie that I think I would actually eat!

Dry: With my nose on my wrist I get a straight shot of lime, but wafting around me is the cookie! So Drool-worthy! (ok, so yes, I should probably go eat some dinner - but still, YUM!)

In the vial, Mr. Nancy really reminds me of being in Key West with all of the key lime pie and the exotic splash of bay rum. In the vial it's like key lime cheesecake & lemon squares. Sweet citrus and foodie. This is the one that I was most hopeful for - I love lime, bay rum, and foodies. I wish that it were as good on me as it is in the bottle.

At first on my skin the citrus goes slightly bitter, but it was still a pleasantly lime-cheesecake fragrance. The bay rum added an exotic spice to the blend. However, after about five minutes or so, there is a smoky something here that reminds me of burning leaves in the drydown.

Mr. Nancy is an incredibly subtle fragrance that fades disappointingly fast on my skin. The sugar cookies and lime don't seem to hang around either. I guess it's the tobacco playing badly on my skin, but this is incredibly smoky and smells just like burning a pile of fall leaves on my skin after a few minutes.

Burning leaves and smoke.

So disappointed :P

Mr. Nancy – This blend is very strong and has some serious kick! I love the smell of sugar cookie scents, but they never work on me. This one works better than most. The bay rum gives it a soft, boozy feel and the tobacco warms it up, making it more masculine than sweet and foody. The scent doesn’t change at all after drydown. It stays true to its original scent from beginning to end. I don’t imagine I’d wear it often because I still don’t like the way the sugar cookie works with my skin chemistry, but I do like it better than I expected. The throw is really strong and it lasts a long, long time.

From the beginning, Mr Nancy smells exactly like the description: sugar, rum, tobacco and lime. I can distinctly pick out each note. As it dries it does turn a little maple syrupy.

This is one of those warm and comforting scents that borders on the masculine side. I really like it.

In the decant: caramel topped with fresh lime zest

Wet on skin: spiced limeade

Dry on skin:

Mr. Nancy becomes Mr. Morpher on my skin.

1. At first, he was sweet sugar cookies with a drizzle of a light lime icing.

2. Then, we went through the "Huh. Why am I smelling Indian food?" phase - very much like the scent that permeates my local Indian buffet with a twist of lime. That's the point where my arms reacted violently with Mr. Nancy. I still have a 2in wide welt on both arms where I'd put a drop of Mr. Nancy in the crook of my elbow. Has anyone else had this problem?

3. I think Mr. Nancy and I have finally settled into a long term relationship - the scent hasn't morphed yet since it became a spiced caramel lime cookie.

Overall: I love the caramel, spice cookie, and lime aspects. I'm really not in love with the massive welts and burning sensation. I'm thinking this will be the scent that finally pushes me into getting a scent locket. I :P Mr. Nancy.

In the vial: this scent reminds me of my favorite Key Lime cookies from Key West.

Wet on skin: Rum and a bit of spice join the party.

Dry: Now this scent is reminding me of a delicious curry, which is a good thing. Now, it morphs again and becomes sweet, spicy and smoky. I realize that I've made this sound like a very foody scent, which it really isn't. This scent does have a somewhat masculine quality, but I think women can wear it, too.

I popped Mr. Nancy on before I left this morning and I'm not sure how I feel about him. Everyone seems to be getting a lovely hint of citrus - it never popped out on me. Or the Bay Rum. Or the tobacco. Right now I'm smelling of honey or syrup, something thick and sweet. It's not a bad smell exactly, it's just not what I was hoping for (I was hoping for it to be my beloved Sugar Cookies kicked up a notch). I think I'll wait and see how it all develops before I swap away my imp.

Tobacco tends to choke out every other note, so I have been really nervous about wearing this one. Lime plays white knight and rides to the rescue, but it's such an odd pairing that I'm not sure what to make of this. The tobacco is tempered by the lime, as I said, but I can also smell a hint of the bay rum and the cookie sweetness, but it doesn't meld well for me. I asked my husband if he liked it, and he said, "You smell good... but it's not my favourite. It's still good, though." He may've just said that to placate my feelings, but it's pretty much how I feel about good Mr. Nancy right now. It's nice, but not necessarily among my must-haves. I think I'll be holding on to the decant, though!

Mr Nancy

In the imp: a buttery lime cookie scent (think Sugar Cookie 05) with a hint of something fizzy!

Wet on skin: now the tobacco comes out, and the bay rum isn’t turning to soap …

Dry: this is such an intriguing scent! There’s a wonderful cookie like note at the base, reminiscent of buttery shortbread biscuits sprinkled with sugar (though the butter isn’t as strong now), and I adore shortbread. Bright, vivacious lime is sprinkled over the cookies, with a masculine scent of bay rum and warm, dry, almost spicy tobacco. This is so good. Very unusual, being a mix of delicious gourmand shortbread and manly perfume, but I think the cookie note makes this scent very unisex.

After a while: eventually the sugar cookie note (which is fantastic, and doesn’t turn to plastic…yay for spontaneous poetry!) merges with the lime and bay rum and tobacco to become a wonderfully smooth, warm, sweet and comforting, even quite sexy scent. Very suave and laid back, with an approachable sweetness. The cookies now smell like they are dusted with white sugar and a little cinnamon, and at this point I get a resemblance to Sugar Cookie 04, but without as much spice, and the tobacco and rum notes cooperate wonderfully. Indeed, the tobacco enhances the warm ‘baked’ aroma and the bay rum helps the lime to stick around for longer than usual, adding a fresh tang. This wonderful fragrance of sugary lime shortbread wrapped in tobacco and fresh bay rum is so addictive. Over time I smell something almost like coconut surfacing from the cookie note, and the scent starts to resemble a less caramelised version of Elegba. And then the rum starts to smell like rum and Coke! So now it smells like a yummy mix of lightly spiced shortbread with rum and Coke! Mmm!!

And just before it fades, the scent goes into another morph…it turns to sweet gently caramelised incense, almost like Red Lantern! Maybe my nose is wonky but the scent of ‘cookie incense’ I get at this point really rocks my socks.

Verdict: I never thought that cookies and masculine perfume (aftershave and tobacco) would go together so well-once again Beth proves me wrong with another unique and delightful scent. There’s nothing overpowering or cloying about this cookie note, it isn’t laden with heavy caramel or treacle like some foody scents can be, nor does it turn dusty or plastic-y. In fact, it reminds me of ‘Christmas shortbread’ I got last year, it was cinnamon shortbread with sugar, so good! And this cookie note is so realistic. I adore this…sugared spicy butter shortbread and lime with an undertone of dry, crisp tobacco and a little rum as well. Sometimes bay rum turns to soap or man’s perfume, but I really like the bay rum here, it even smells like rum and Coke at times. The foody and smoky notes cooperate so nicely in here, and the drydown even smells like cookie incense! I haven’t tried cookie incense but that’s what it reminds me of…almost along the line of Red Lantern, but lighter. I’m now hungry for biscuits…and this time I want to dunk them in rum, not tea! This is a wonderfully moreish scent, so much so that I want a bottle asap!

Emoticon rating: :P :D

Is it a keeper? Definitely! These Carousel scents are so good! This is a potential bottle scent.

If you like this, try: Sugar Cookie 05 and 04, Eat Me, Santo Domingo, Isaac, Perversion, Elegba, Red Lantern

On me, Mr. Nancy was key lime pie with a butter cookie crust and a shot of rum as a secret ingredient. It pretty much stayed that way from application to drydown.

A very nice summer blend for lovers of foody scents.

after smelling this in the imp, i was almost afraid to try it. it smells VERY foody in the imp, like saffron rice. on my skin it smells like mataar paneer with saffron rice! i love indian food but dont want to smell much like it :P now that it's dried a bit i can smell the bay rum and tobacco with just a hint of lime. bay rum is not very 'me' and it's pretty prevalent here, so this doesnt work for me. it's an interesting scent though and very evocative.

In the bottle - fizzy lime and sweet cookie. I was excited the moment I sniffed it! :D

When it hit my skin, something AMAZING happened. That bay rum and tobacco came out in full force, and now the lime and sugar cookie are underneath making it sweet and boosting the sexiness quotient like there's no tomorrow. This is a unisex blend to my nose, and I'm dying to "accidentally" get some on my husband.

It, like Mr. Nancy, has some definite stamina. :P I put a small dab on wrist three hours ago, and it's still going strong and beautiful -- all bright and mysterious, soft and charming at once. I was annoyed at first that the fizzy lime seemed to go soft, but the scent made it up by going gorgeous on my skin. Somehow, I can tell that the sweetness on drydown would be TOO sweet if the lime didn't lend some tang to the blend.

I will now have to acquire a back-up bottle. Or two.

I just got this today! I can't decide what it smells like though! I smell vanilla, and lime, and that's all I get.

I'll wear this tomorrow to see what it smells like on. Don't want to wear it now, otherwise, it may mess up my beloved Tombstone!

This one did not disappoint! First off I smell a lot of spice. I thought, 'what the heck, does this have ginger??'. I guess it's the bay rum giving me that impression. To be honest, for the first half hour to an hour, the throw from Mr. Nancy smells a lot like Count Dracula on my skin, but sweeter. The sugar aspect comes out as it dries, and I'm definitely getting the Sugar Skull comparisons, but there is more going on here with the spiciness. I didn't get a whole lot of lime, unless it's just blending so well I didn't notice it.

Much later, if I sniff right up close to my skin, it smells exactly like sugar cookies. Excellent!

My skin chemistry utterly mangled poor Mr. Nancy. I never even got a hint of lime. Just straight booze, with a hint of the BPAL foody note that makes me ill. The wierd thing is that the booze didn't even smell like rum, it was more like bourbon. This was a big dissapointment for me, since the idea of smelling like key lime pie was very alluring. Oh well, at least I have Mr. Ibis.

In the imp: lime and bay rum and tobacco and sugar cookies, yup. Very sweet and thick and treacly, somehow.

On me, wet: whoa bay rum and tobacco amping like crazy. Overpoweringly boozy.

On me, dry: lots of tobacco and rum and sugary cookie dough. A little musty nd oversweet.

Verdict: Urgh, no, this is not for me at all.

HERE BE BOOZE, YO.

At first, I had to resist the urge to wash Mr. Nancy right out of my hair (so to speak), because he was all HI I AM TOBACCO AND MAPLE ISN'T THIS A WONDERFUL COMBINATION and I was like HELLS TO THE NO.

But as it dries, Mr. Nancy really does start to smell of sugar cookies! Awesome. My skin is still amping some sort of spice, which makes it smell pretty unusual -- more like snickerdoodles than straight sugar cookies. And there's a teensy bit of lime in there.

I LOVE this scent. Unfortunately, my husband does not. I really need to train him, hehehe. (JUST KIDDING, DARLING.)

This is very like sugar skull on me, but nicer and with more caramel. Its a rich, gooy, desert smell that I quite like. But it is similiar to some other scents I have so I don't know that I'll keep my imp.

Odd, too, that on me it is nothing like the description. I can see the rum, but I get no lime at all.

For some reason, I was figuring since I adore Elegba, I'd adore Mr. Nancy.

I was right.

Mr. Nancy is faaaaabulous. Warm and lovely and makes me smile every time I catch a whiff of him.

Obviously, I need more of him. :P

Rum and sugar cookies all the way. I don't get any tobacco or lime and I'm quite pleased with that. :P This is very much a comfort scent. Yummm, sugar cookies.

*edit: I think the love affair is over sadly. First time I wore Mr Nancy it was all sweet cookies, fizzy lime with a hit of booze. I've worn it three times more after that first time and I have no idea what's changed but it doesn't work the same... I get the lime and cookies and then aftershave and burning... gutted. * :P

Edited by Sunshine the Werewolf