Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Mr. Nancy

Sugar cookies with bay rum, tobacco, and lime.

Bottle: Edible. Butter-cream frosting.

Wet: Sweet, deep, boozy vanilla, with a twist of lime.

Dry: As this dries, I get a big hit of lime for about 20 min or so, but after that, its pretty much gone. Instead, the blend becomes a deep, sweet, vanilla with hints of a woodiness and smoke (tobacco maybe?). There's a boozy spiciness to it, and the smoky vanilla + darker spiced notes remind me of the evil baked goods scent in shub. Only this is more lighthearted.

Overall: I was worried that the foody vanilla note in this would go plastic on me as some others tragically do, but it stayed completely true, and I lurve it. This is a wonderful snuggle up and cuddle sorta blend, and I've been wearing him to bed relatively frequently. Me, hubby and Mr. Nancy makes three. Mmmmmmm... Edited by jewelbug

I received a residious amount of this in an awesome swap with Mango!

In bottle: Sweet, evil gingersnaps

Drydown on skin: Sweet evil gingersnaps and pancake syrup! WHAAAA? :P

This one of the most unique scents I have ever had the pleasure to try.

It may be imp worthy after all. But only in small doses. :D

This has a lot of throw and lasts awhile.

I want to put this on someone and snuggle up to them all night long, I love this scent so much.

In the imp I got nothing but the sugar cookies and lime, so I was kind of worried if it was going to be too sweet to wear regularly. It might be still, but I dont' really care. Once the sweetness died down and the tobacco notes came out, it was all good. It's still sweet with just a hint of lime, but the tobacco and the rum are keeping it from being OHAI I AM A COOKIE. Mmm, this is one nummy scent.

Many thanks to Persephone76 for this testable sniffie she gave me a few weeks ago at a MnS! I probably wouldn't have thought to test a scent that has tobacco and cookies together on my own, but at the same time, I really liked the character of Mr. Nancy in Anansi Boys, and I certainly wasn't about to turn down an offered opportunity for testing!

In the imp: Sweet and citrus-tart at the same time. I'm guessing that's the cookies part of this!

Wet on skin: Still mostly limey cookies, though with a little bit of the darker spicier stuff starting to peek out.

Drydown: Freshly dry, I'm definitely getting more of the bay rum. It's making the cookies less overwhelmingly sweet, which is nice. The lime is, true to citrus form, already disappearing on me. An hour later, the tobacco and bay rum fill out the scent, which is still sweet but less sugary. It's comfortable and lively at once.

Five hours later: Not much left, but it's at the same state of blending as at one hour, minus any trace of lime.

End of the day: Gone.

Overall: This is a scent that is both quirky and comfortable at the same time. That, to my mind, describes the character of Mr. Nancy as well! Tobacco and cookies work surprisingly well together, and with the bay rum, become something complex and roundly spicy-sweet. The lime was never really a factor on me (unsurprisingly, since I make citrus disappear), but I like this a lot as is.

There's a refreshing burst of lime here at the start that's really fun and fruity. Mr. Nancy then dries down into a very very VERY sweet sugar/tobacco blend. Really it's nearly too sweet. The tobacco seems to be coming out more and more though, so maybe with a full day's wearing this wouldn't be quite so cloying. As it is though it's a bit overwhelming. Reminds me a lot of Incubus, which I also liked but ultimately found too sweet.

I had so loved this character, and I thought the description sounded like it could be fun. (I need to learn though, that bay rum is not my friend.)

It didn't smell like sugar cookies to me - it smelled like some kind of old powdered sugar bowl - like, really old. Look at it sideways old. The lime came out and kicked around for a few minutes and then vanished on my skin and all that was left was old sugar and bay rum, which does not smell good on me. :P I didn't think this scent would work on me but I had to try it out.

This scent was -almost- perfect, as I'm a huge fan of sweet and sugary scents. The lime, unfortunately, ruined it all and reminded me of those brightly colored lime lollipops I used to get at the doctor's when I was a kid. :/ After a few minutes, the lime was the only thing I could smell, with just a faint background of cookies. I think if the lime was swapped out with something more tart, than candyish, it would have worked better on my skin.

Mr. Nancy is everything I had expected and hoped for, and more!

It immediately smells of lime and cookies, with just a hint of the spice from the bay rum. Oooh, I love the lime note in this! It's gorgeous. Eventually it dries down to mostly bay rum and tobacco, sweetened and brightened with the cookies and lime. Nom nom nom. This is even better on my fiance! On him it's a sweet, citrusy bay rum with an underscoring of tobacco. So lovely!

I need a bottle of this soon!

In the bottle: Key lime flavored sugar cookies!

On my skin: WOW lime! Alll lime and cookies. There's a bit of bay rum, but mostly just sugary limes to me. It definitely conjures images of Mr. Nancy carrying his little lime around Jamacia :lol:

Dry: The lime completely disappears as this dries, which is fine and expected. Usually citrus is a quick, happy top note on my skin. I'm not detecting any tobacco in this at all, dry this is all bay rum and sugar cookies on me.

Overall: Mr. Nancy is one of those BPAL scents everyone needs to try, seriously. This stuff is really good....and satisfies my craving for a good lime scent. :heart:

In the bottle: Rum and sugar. Or maybe just sweet rum. Whichever, this smells like yummy booze in the bottle.

On, wet: From far away, it's rum, cookies and lime. When I put my nose closer, I get something oddly astringent, like menthol.

On, dry: I like the occasional wafts of this scent that I get whenever I move my arm, but I don't like it when I actually put my nose to my wrist. There's a too-bitter alcohol note at the base of this that isn't working for me.

This one turned strange on me.

In the vial: Lime sugar cookies

On me: I thought it smelled like pure sugar cookie, until my brother said "pancakes!". And yes, it does. It smells exactly like Pancake Breakfast on me. I like it, but where are the lovely lime cookies? :(

This is an absolutely gorgeous scent that someone sent me a sniffy imp of with about a half-drop. (Which confused the heck out of me, as the site says no imps, however, apparently -from further reading- there was a brief release of them) It smelled so absolutely incredible that both I and my SO ordered a bottle.

In Bottle and Wet- Boozy! This is one of the few rum scents that actually smells like rum on me, and I adore it. Along with the rum is a burst of cookie, and I swear a little hint of gingery spices. (Now here's the odd thing. The old imp had a sharp tang of lime right from the start down through drydown, and it was amazing. There's a hint of lime here in the fresh version, but nowhere near as potent. I'm hoping aging brings that shy lime out.)

On skin - As this dries, the warm cookie lingers in the background with the soft golden rum, but a rich, smoky tobacco starts to float up. The hint of bay adds to it, giving it that little indefinable extra, and toning down all the sweetness from before. This, somehow, is an incredibly sexy combination.

Longer drydown and overall - This scent's magic is not in the at-the-wrist smell, though it's delicious enough there. No, it's in the waft - now a whiff of cookie, now a cloud of sweet tobacco, and every now and again, ever so faint, comes a tweak of lime to perk things up. (There you are, lime! Yay! I still want you to get over your shyness, though.) It's charm is in how it changes moment to moment in what I pick up from sniff to sniff. when I move just a little and the prominent note changes.

I know this perfume develops into something astounding when it's aged, but even lab-fresh it's a really incredible, unique blend, and one of my favorites.

Mr. Nancy is one of the most unique perfumes I've ever had the pleasure of smelling. Not because of its notes, exactly -- I've smelled cookie scents before, and as a mostly non-foodie scents kinda girl, I'm traditionally not impressed. I think it's more because it seems to capture the feel of Mr. Nancy as a character. When I first got a leaky imp of this scent, I fell a little bit in love. It is everything I love about old men. :lol: It's charm and panache and horrible jokes, panama hats, slightly tatty clothes and the comforting scent of "grandpa".

And, of course, it's the notes.

In the bottle and wet I get lime sugar cookies. Someone further up-thread said key lime, and that seems pretty true to me. As someone who does not enjoy smelling like baked goods, I still can't get enough of this scent. There's a hint of tobacco further sweetening the blend up, and thankfully that gets grounded a bit by the bay rum. When the Lab releases perfumes with fewer notes, like this one, I find myself smiling stupidly ever time. Sometimes it's just as simple as Mr. Nancy.

During wear -- and this one lasts awhile, let me say that much -- I'm always shocked by the lime. Citrus is one of those finicky notes which goes fast, so the fact that the lime stays pretty consistent throughout Mr. Nancy is the bee's knees. Hours into wearing this, I get sweet, tangy lime cookies with a touch of equally sweet but musky tobacco. The bay rum is always the lightest note for me here.

Drydown brings out more of the vanilla sweetness, but I amp vanilla like no one's business, so that's more me than the perfume. Overall this is such a hugely comforting scent -- I think it's awesome that so many of us seem to walk away with the impression, and the idea of cuddling up with someone wearing Mr. Nancy? Not a bad idea at all. This wears and wears and wears for a long time, and although the foodie aspect prevents me from wearing it daily, it's definitely a scent I'll go to regularly for comfort or a smile.

Edited by Tapestry

Mr. Nancy

This one is being swapped out tomorrow, so I figured I'd write a quick review on it before it gets packaged up with the others. ;)

In the imp: Cookies and citrus! A combination that shouldn't work, but somehow does.

On my skin: The sugar cookie is wonderful; soft, sweet and buttery, a nice foody scent that isn't overpowering. And the lime adds a kick to it that makes me grin. I loved Anansi Boys, and this absolutely does Mr. Nancy justice.

I received this in a swap with a new friend. What an unusual scent! Upon application, it's strong lime with a very (!) faint spicy baked good background. Within 5 minutes, it tempers to bay rum (oooh, masculine) with that faint reminder of spice cookies. Quite pleasant, comforting, like having a strong father figure wrap his arms around you.

ETA: That's my swapper up above!! he he :)

Edited by sharybaby

The lab's cookie scents rarely work on me, so Mr. Nancy was such a delightful surprise :) It really -does- smell like buttery, shortcrust cookies with lime icing. I don't get much tobacco, but it's such a lovely scent that I don't mind. Really, really delicious, and fantastic for colder days.

Inside the imp, rum and sugar cookies.

Wet on the skin, rum and tobacco notes initially. As it begins to dry, I begin to pick up the lime note and cookies again.

Drys down to tobacco, rum, & lime.

Another great BPAL tobacco scent.

Sniffed: Pale yellow oil. Key lime pie with tobacco and cologne (the bay rum?). A tad buttery foody, but not as much as I'd expected. Loads of sweet lime, with a very astringent tobacco note.

Wet: More sugary, with a definite cookie note. The bay rum & tobacco merge and take on an almost spicy edge, and the lime is SUPER zesty. It's almost foody, but really not quite - it's too tart and too complex, and honestly just a fascinating & awesome combo of notes.

Dry: The tobacco quickly starts to emerge in force, and turns a little smoky, in the best possible way (I'm rarely a fan of smoky). The bay rum, too, has amped a bit and is rather herbal and masculine - so far, I still can pull it off. This is manly and intense, despite the sugary lime-y cookies!

Later: On me, it sweetens back up, or seems to reach some sort of balance on my skin after a little bit - there's just exactly the right amount of each note. The roommate says 'smells like pie, it's warm and wafting and I want to eat it' - I can't disagree! I also find the cookie note is somehow creamy on my skin.

Summary: I'm picky about 'foody' scents and this is (just barely) foody, but it's a very complex, sophisticated foody - the smoky depth of the tobacco and tart juiciness of the lime keep the sugary cookie note in check, and the bay rum adds a pleasantly perfumey freshness, though it's the least distinct note on drydown. Fantastic throw & longevity!

Definitely a bottle, ASAP. What's nice is - I can slather this on males too. It's a wonderful unisex scent, and I find it fits male/female chemistry accordingly - it's darker and less sweet on the roommate, and more creamy/sweet on me.

:wub2:

Edited by fairnymph

It smells like rum, tobacco, and lime. It reminds me of vicks vapor rub. Not sweet like I hoped, no cookies.

Edited by BuxomM

This smells exactly like Butter Rum Cookie with juuust a teeny hint of lime. It's even doing that weird smelling like syrup after a while thing that Butter Rum Cookie did. I think I should try this again at a different time of the month because the drydown is nice (underneath the syrup smell) and I think it has potential.

Cookies!

Delicious buttery sugar cookies made with a splash of lime juice and dipped in rum. That is what I smell like, and it is good.

Interestingly enough, I don't get even the faintest sense of tobacco in this. It's just delicious buttery limey rum-soaked cookies. (Well, maybe not rum-soaked.)

*edit: I was wrong! After about... four or five hours, there is a definite tobacco note in the throw. Up close, the cookies still drown it out.

Edited by Inventrix

I was hoping that I'd get a stronger lime note from this, and less tobacco...but alas, not to be.

In the (very cute) bottle: sweet gingerbread cookies and tobacco. Like the pipe my great-grandpa used to smoke.

Wet: Tobacco in full force. I'm not getting any lime, and I'm not sure about this...

Dry: The sweet cookies are coming back, finally, and cutting down the tobacco a bit. I'm still hesitant, but the boyfriend actually likes this one (he thinks most bpal scents are either baby powder or fruit loops, so getting an actual comment is impressive!). Have been told that I smell like gingersnaps. Never any lime at all.

Verdict: will probably keep the partial bottle and test again on occasion; would be willing to share the bottle with others, since I'm not sure I'll wear it all that frequently. Might be more of a cold-weather scent, too.

Mr. Nancy

I'm sorry I put off trying this one for so long. I just couldn't wrap my head around cookies and bay rum and tobacco. I shouldn't have worried. There's an initial blast of lime, a waft of tobacco, and then it's allllll cookies. Spicy cookies. Snickerdoodles or gingerbread or something. Very yummy!

Whoa, this is definately lime and vanilla and something astringent which I believe is the alcohol. It's kind of..strange. Not unpleasant, exactly, but for some reason the combination irks my nose.

The lime is quite a bit stronger while wet than dry. As this dries though, the sugar cookies and bay rum come out and sweeten and smooth the lime. The tobacco here is wonderful, and the whole blend becomes a smooth and sensual but comforting scent. It is similar in vibe to Wulric for me, but not similar in scent.