Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Xanthe, The Weeping Clown

Guava, orange peel, white pepper, spun sugar and apple blossom.

bottle: apply-orangey. sort of like a light summer cocktail. this smells so pretty.

wet: there's a sugary-sweet soft-spiciness with the apple/orange/fruit note.
this is fantastic! how have i gone on for so long without a bottle of this...?

dry: sweet, spicy, floral, fruity... i can't categorize this scent exactly... except to say it's one of my new favourites!

:P :D :D

I soooo wanted Xanthe to not weep for me!!! Unfortunately this scent turns immediately rancid on me. I'm not sure what it is in it, this is the very first scent to do this to me. Yeck!! Pass 'er on.....

In the imp: Bubble gum. I can even picture the brand - those individually wrapped square shaped pieces of pink, slightly powdery gum that you'd get for Halloween. They had a blue and yellow and maybe pink wrapper - does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Wet - still getting bubblegum, but there's a slight warm flowery undertone to it.

Dry - Warm, sweet, slightly flowery. Maybe fruity? I can't really tell. It's a light fragrance - I have to hold my wrist up close to my wrist to be able to smell it.

I don't think I'd wear this often - it's just too sweet.

In the bottle

bubble gum/cotton candy and white wine. actually, it kind of smells like wine cooler.

Bartles & James fruit punch, the kind that you snuck into gatorade bottles, or fruit juice bottles before going to high school football games so nobody would know you and your friends were drinking ( oh, was I the only one that did that ? :P ) Delicious to smell, and dangerously sweet to drink as a teen, but not appealling as a "grown-up" (whatever that means).

Wet on skin

More complex. Sugary smells fades and light apple blossom comes out. Fresh and light smell. I do not get much fruit - surprisingly since it was so strong in bottle and for others.

Dry on skin:

Quiet whisper of sweetness. Slight dash of the white pepper. Very light and airy.

I love how this smelled on me, even though in the bottle I feared it! Luckily, I bought a half bottle (I love the art on the bottles!) because unfortunately, fades way too fast on me to buy another bottle.

Final Grade: B.

Loved the smell, and think my body chemistry interacted well, but it also just soaked it all up. I might try to layer this over a stronger single note, but I do not think I will be in the market for another bottle (although, for the right price/swap, I might consider it)

When I read the notes for this one I thought. I simply must try this immediatley if not, sooner!

It just sounded like somehting I knew I was gonna like and was tempted to buy a bottle straight away.

Got an imp and now own a bottle!

This is lovely. It smells like fizzy fruit, in the same way that Croquet does. I think if you were to put Croquet on one arm and This on the other you'd smell like a heavenly fruit bowl walking around.

It's really fresh and doesn't really morph on me at all.

I can't really smell the Orange, It's mainly the Guava I think. And I think the spun sugar is what's giving it the effervescent kind of smell. (Which dissapears quite quickly by the way) :P

If you like fruity bubblegummy kind of smells then this one is for you!

The only thing is that it doesn't last long at all *cries*. I wish it had more throw and lasting power because it would be so awesome!

Wet, this reminds me of Tutti Frutti flavoured Jelly Belly jellybeans! As it begins to dry the apple blossom shines through making the composition more floral. I do detect something orangey and must confess the note I was most fearful about was orange peel but it’s actually quite lovely. From afar it smells like candied orange, very pleasant! It reminds me a little of Carnal but slightly more floral. Excellent lasting power.

All I get from Xanthe is bubblegum. It did not change from bottle to my skin. I think this one will be saved for something special. Don't know what, yet, but I can't bear to give her up.

Bottle: Guava and orange

Wet: Guava, orange and apple are forefront. I'm getting a hint of sugar and pepper, but just the tiniest hint.

Drydown: The guava and orange have combined into an almost peach scent. I don't really get the bubblegum note that others do, mostly just sweet fruit!

3.5 outta 5

At the beginning, this was very much a guava fruit gum sort of smell. Sweet fruits, but with a gummy undertone. After about twenty minutes, the pepper made an appearance and it was like peppered sugared fruit. Now its back to the bubblegum/candy sort of smell. :P

I really disliked the pepper stage, it just didn't smell right to me, so I think this clown is a pass for me.

In Vial: fruity bubblegum

Wet: Stronger bubblegum with an equal amount of sweet, tart, fruityness.

Drydown: Nice and fruity. Very sweet, but not so much it causes a headache. I don't smell the orange distinctly but I do smell the other notes and something faintly of honey. That may be the spun sugar? The pepper gives the tiniest punch and keeps it interesting. BTW it no longer smells of bubblegum for those who were worried :P

On me, Xanthe is just powdered sugar-slathered bubble gum. Not a bad scent, but not what I'm looking for.

In the imp, Xanthe is sugar, orange peel, just a hint of the guava - almost bubble-gummy.

It still smells like orange-y bubble gum on my skin.

When it dries, there's no more bubble gum - guava, sugar, with just a touch of pepper. Very interesting.

First Impression: Fizzy melon with a touch of citrus.

Dries down to: A touch of apple blossom emerges later.

Additional Comments: What I thought was melon with citrus was the guava and orange peel. The white pepper adds a sophisticated touch to the whole blend and keeps the spun sugar from getting too sweet. This is certainly unique but not quite a 'must have' blend for me - only because it doesn't last too long.

Lasted: An hour or two.

Rating: 4 out of 5

In the vial: I am getting a Juicy Fruit gum smell. This is very exciting to me because I've been hoping for a more bubblegum fragrance to wear. Most people may not want to smell like bubble gum, but I do. I find it uplifting.

Wet: Oooo, juicy fruits! And then the bubblegum note amps. If I knew what note this was going all bubblegum I would try everything that has it. A slight floral tone threatens to go soapy but then disapears. I feel like getting some Chicklets.

Drydown: Yum! I'm so glad I finally got a decant of this. I'll really need at least one bottle of Xanthe, maybe multiples before she hits the road. There is still a slight floral, but it fades in and out. I could bathe in this stuff. It's sort of lemon cotton candy.

Other comparisons: Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo start's out with a bubblegum note to me, but changes shortly after applied, same with the Teenage Cannibal, which I am surprised no one has mentioned a comparison to before. I went crazy trying to get a bottle of Cannibal because of that note, but now I have found a version I like better in Xanthe, that is also a lot easier to get. Xanthe doesn't have the spiciness of Cannibal, but I'm not complaining. Xanthe is actually more candy-like and that's why I love it so much!

ETA: Clowns used to scare the crap out of me as a child, so I am finding this sort of ironic.

Edited by Tempest

Got this as a sniffie from Brianne! :P

IN THE IMP: Fruity, sugary. I can tell there's guava, but mostly I smell Juicy Fruit gum.

WET: The sugary-ness starts to come out more, and the fruit takes a backseat.

DRY: Oh, that's definitely spun sugar! Sweet, with something fruity, and a tiny hint of spicy. Very nice, a lot less fruity than what I had expected! It's sugar with hints of fruitiness, in a sophisticated way. I wish I had more!

Expectations: Fruit salad with an extra dash of sugar and a pinch of spice. Yummy!

In vial: Whoa, bubblegum! I was blasted with the scent the instant I opened the imp, even though it was about 1' from my nose.

On skin, wet: Still bubblegum from afar, but if I sniff closely I can pick out the sugar and the apple blossom on top of the other scents.

On skin, dry: The bubblegum is still there, though it's now acquired so much spiciness that it doesn't seem like bubblegum from a casual sniff. There's a slight apple cider aspect to it.

After time: After 30 minutes, it's still faintly spicy, but more of a mixed fruit than a bubblegum. Just as fabulous though. Not much throw, but what's there is of decent strength and I hardly applied any, so I think it will be just about perfect when applied in normal quantities. Only one problem...the smell is making me hungry!

Conclusion: Fantastic. I love this one, and given the number of "it's nice, but I'm not in love" scents I've reviewed recently, it's a pleasant surprise. Most likely getting a bottle before the carnaval goes away.

Guava doesn't usually behave on me, but I had to try Xanthe anyway. So far so good!

For a weeping clown, this blend sure is happy and light. Lots of fruit and a soft sweet smell that must be the spun sugar. I don't get any pepper at all.

Later on: Instead of amping the hell out of guava like I usually do, the apple blossom is coming out now. This is so nice! Light and sugary without being overly foody. Not sure if I need a bottle yet, but I'm definitely giving some thought to it.

Eh, well, this just smells too much like candy on me. It ends up feeling a bit shallow. Meck. Not my style, I'm afraid.

2 out of 5

Every time I try on Xanthe, I get a slightly different take. Sometimes it's strongly apple, today the orange peel is dominant (and I love orange peel). Definitely I'm going to need a whole bottle soon, since I have just a bottled imp at the moment.

This is a scent that seems to morph back and forth on my skin. Sometimes I get a deep, ripe guava base; a dark fruit with a hint of that spicy pepper. And other times, I get straight up gummi worms. Luckily, both "versions" smell quite good.

In the Bottle

Light and fruity, strikes me as very subtle. I'm getting pear and maybe some apple and a sweet floral. CUte.

On Me

Initially, a burst of pear and then apple. LOTS of suagr. Then things calm down, and somehow I'm left with a sweetened, caramalised apple dusted with cinnamon and cardamon. It's gorgeous and I'm huffing my wrist. :P

I'm not getting guava or bubblegum at ALL, though. Doesn't bother me, because what I got, I LOVE, but... weird.

Almost as soon as I say “Hmm that smells like Guava!” Xanthe begins to change into something so much more. She is a mix of Fruits and Sugar, with the sugar becoming more and more promante and it becomes a sugary orange.

This lasts forever and never really loses its sweet sugared fruit edge at all.

I seriously just want to roll around in this stuff

Oh man, this scent is right up my alley. It had flown under my radar for a while, but after I heard some raving about it, I knew I had to test it before the CD rolls outta town. In the imp, this is delicious juicy bubblegum. Very sweet and a little fruity. I'm hoping I get more of the guava and apple blossom on my skin, but even if it just stays the same as the scent in the imp when it's on my skin, I will be sold.

Whoa-this is VERY sweet. I think I'm getting cavities just from sniffing it! There is no lack of "spun sugar" note in this blend! This is like, slightly fruity cotton candy. Every now and then I get a little whiff of guava, but this is definitely dominated by a pink sugar note. I am going to give this some time to mellow and settle.

Yep, this was a total win for me! Foodies-take note of this one! The intense sweetness calmed down as it dried, and this was a wonderful pink fruity sugary perfume that I will definitely be needing to grab a bottle of before the CD is gone!

In the bottle: Essentially colourless oil. Sweet, fruity, verging on candied - but not cloying. I can smell all the fruits clearly. Reminds me of classic lifesavers a bit.

Wet: Still pretty candyish, bubblegummy, but the apple blossom is a bit more floral and less just appley, the orange peel has a hint of bitter zestiness, and the white pepper has come out to provide a mild kick.

Dry: The sweet orange/pepper combo reminds me greatly of Tweedledee, but with the guava and apple blossom, this has more of a fruit punch feel. The fruits are distinct yet blend together very nicely. The pepper has amped slightly but not too much.

Later: Still super sweet candyish fruit punch and white pepper spiciness....oddly with the apple and the orange peel it reminds me vaguely of mulled cider. Overall, I think the white pepper in this is too strong for me.

Summary: A strong sexy musk emerges, balancing out the candy-ish fruit notes (all still distinct) and white pepper, which has backed down to a more manageable level. Still pretty sticky sweet and girly. Good throw and lasting power.

Just a bit too sweet for me, but I was pleasantly surprised by the musk that emerged. I think without the sugar blast and with a softer pepper note I'd LOVE this. The fruit notes are delicious!