Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Xanthe, The Weeping Clown

Guava, orange peel, white pepper, spun sugar and apple blossom.

This is very sweet fruity on me. I can't detect the pepper. I like it more than I expected, but I don't think I'll need a back up bottle. I'm more about the fruit and patchouli mixed together.

That's an idea -- I might have to try layering it.

First Sniff: Oh...wow...Juicy Fruit Gum (green kind, not the yellow)

On skin: Spun Sugar is right. A sweet confection of guava, orange peel and apple blossom. Guava and apple blossom are in the front, with the orange lingering behind.

I find the white pepper mixed with the orange gives it a spicy kick. Almost like I am smelling Big Red gum, or those little red cinnamon candy hearts mixed with sweet fruit.

Drydown: Always evolving, Xanthe is a fruit lovers dream come true. I adore how this morphs between sugar and spice.

Final thoughts: I want to chew it.

In the imp: Fruity with mostly apple and guava.

Wet: To me, it smells like tropical cotton candy! Cute.

Dry: It dries into a nice tropical cotton candy blend, with guava taking the lead and competing with the spun sugar for first place. The spun sugar wins.

Overall: I like this blend. It reminds me a lot of Tweedledee, but with a more sweet smell to it. I also like that there's apple blossom in this. I don't really get that much white pepper in this, though (which is fine!).

Wet: Grapefruit! I think it's the mix of orange and pepper. Very tart, very sudden. Delicious.

Dry: Sugared orange. Just like candied peel. Mmm. Yes please.

(Forgive me if this has been mentioned before but...) do you know what this reminds me of? Do any of you guys remember that fruit flavored chewing gum that was striped different colors and had a giraffe on the package??

FruitStripeGum.jpg Fruit Stripe Gum!!

It's very sugary and fruity sweet smelling to me--just like Fruit Stripe Gum!

(eta: Oh I just realized that it's not a giraffe--it's a zebra!! -"stripes", duh! :P )

Edited by Stephanie

Sweet, fruity bubblegum, with a little bit of pepper lingering on the skin to prevent it from being too aggressively foody for me to get away with wearing it to work. Very sweet - this is a playful, feminine scent. Not something I see myself wearing frequently, but it's the sort of thing that'll be just perfect at certain times.

Fruity bubblegum!! This reminds me a lot of Jailbait. There's a bit of pepper in there that keeps this from going into sweetness overload. It's light, it's fun, it's yummy! Really like this one.

Holy mother of sweetness, Xanthe is sweeeet :D :P

wet on the skin: it smells like Fireball Jawbreakers. Not really what I was expecting.

dry: sweet lollipops

really dry: the lollipop-sweetness has toned down and something creamier has surfaced. Very pretty! I really love Xanthe for when I'm feeling girly-girly :D

In Bottle: Sugar candy sweet and tart with fruit and pepper. The apple edge is soft, but pleasant. Wet: Eeerily familiar thought I couldn’t place it at first, but it smells like a fruit drink we sold in a restaurant where I worked as a teen. It is much less unsettling on the skin, almost soothing. It’s a very rich fruit/floral blend, unusual and pleasing enough. It’s not a standard scent at all, but teasingly pert.

Xanthe, when I first got it, smelled mostly of orange peel, with a little sweetness (probably the apple blossom or spun sugar) to counter the bitterness. I loved it then, and I think I love it even more now, though it's evolved into something completely different. Now, it's much smoother, very fruity and sweet, but not cloying, and is one of my go-to scents. Beautiful.

xanthe.jpg xanthe2.jpg

Imp: Extremely fruity and sweet--light tropical sorts of fruits. I know there’s orange in this, but my nose can’t identify it. Its just combining with the other fruits to simply make “tropical”. And then there is something else. Something almost…dare I say it…vaginal—huh?

Wet: Fruit punch candies dusted with powdered sugar. Not a vagina in sight. Thank goodness!

Dry/Drying: A flowery slightly powdery note comes out to join the candies. I assume that’s apple blossom. There is even a wee bit of spice, but its more like potpourri spice, and I would never ever guess white pepper. Not too much throw on this, and it lasts 5-6 hrs on me.

Overall: My thoughts can basically be summarized as “candy aisle at bed bath and beyond.” I can smell the floral-y home scent of various clean linen products (apple blossom?), mixed with a shelf of hard, sugar-dusted candy, with a waft of the fruity potpourri candles from the next aisle. Its interesting, but totally not wearable as a perfume (for me, personally). It makes my nose itch a bit.

Edited by jewelbug

I am very sad about this one.

I had hummed and hawed about ordering but the reason i did was because I thought the pepper would keep everything else in check, like it does in tweedledee.

It's bubblegum. Sticky, sugary, pink got-it-stuck-in-my-hair bubblegum. That was what I goit out of it in the bottle.

On my skin its BUBBLEGUM. HOLY CRAP-I-WORK-IN-A-CANDY-FACTORY BUBBLEGUM.

No pepper. No apple.

Which makes me cry. :P

So up for swap it goes..

Bright juicy sugary apple. It does have bubblegum note, but it fades quickly and turns into gorgeous :P! So glad I have a partial of this.

I had to review this because it is like *happiness in a bottle*. I put it on and instantly felt happier and blissed out. (Kind of ironic, considering the name!) Damn. So, the pepper comes out a bit when dries, but it's mostly like fruity gum. I don't know what it is, but something in it has me buzzing. :P (And I was feeling pretty ho-hum before.)

I will definitely be needing a bottle! Or more!

Edit: It fades in a few hours on me to something kind of salty. I'll either need to keep reapplying or try it in a scent locket.

Edited by WinterLeigh

In the decant its all bubblegum (maybe the guava/spun sugar). On the skin the other notes (apple/white pepper)come out to play, taking Xanthe from pg to r-rated. I lovey love love Xanthe. I would definitely take her out for drinks.

This smells like Jailbait meets the Tiki Bar...tropical fruit bubblegum. I think I'm getting childhood flashbacks of entire packs of Juicy Fruit shoved in my mouth as I tried to make the perfect bubble.

I swore I tried this when it first came out and I got rose (?), but I'm not getting any of it now and I'm wondering what I was smelling when I thought it was Xanthe. Hmmm. At any rate, this is a very fun, fruity bubblegum scent with just a hint of an alcoholic buzz. Nice!

I WANT SUMMER!!!

This is a truly lovely scent. Very mood brightening! It makes me happy. :D Quite ironic, considering its name.

I have no idea what guava smells like, so I'm assuming its what is lending the nice fruity lightness too this. The pepper is creeping out to play (I LOVE pepper) adding a fun spicy kick to it.

Must get a bottle. After my car is fixed.

Edited by harpie17

I went to will call a while back with this on my list of things to sniff and I fell in love with it there. Upon returning home I quickly ordered a bottle and have yet to review this top favorite of mine.

The pepper never shows up in this blend, very different to Tweedledee whom upon me sniffing it the first time threw a whole bunch of pepper in my face >.< Xanthe is mostly spun sugar with a bit of fruitiness that I suppose can be compared to gum. Either way I enjoy it as a fruit lover. Its not exactly a foodie blend I'd say but it deffinently is sweet without being cloyingly so.

Fruit Lovers Rejoice!

A decant from mimosatique...

In the vial: cotton candy

Wet: fresh sweet fruited apple blossoms, bitter guava, a dash of pepper

Dry: orange tea, still fruity, but a bit more spiced. The apple blossom is gentled--still refreshing and sweet.

Wow! How fun and light...I can see this as a fresh summer ade. The vial is a definite keeper!!

:yum:

man, THIS REMINDS ME OF JAILBAIT...if it married a jar of pepper.

in the bottle: smells like bubblegum and pepper

applied: LOVE IT, i want to suck my own face off. i thought the pepper would throw it off but its fantastic, its got a little kick.

wet: more bubblegum and making out with myself....pepper shares an equal stage with the bubblegummy scent

overall - i dont smell apples or maybe its my untrained senses but I JUST DONT, ok? and after sniffing this.......I AM NOW GOING TO BUY A BOTTLE.

Wet: Super sweet, almost purely sugar.

First on: Chewing gum...

Dry: Bubble gum and flowers. I almost like it...

Xanthe, The Weeping Clown

Xanthe is the one of two CD scents that really stuck with me when I sniffed 'em at WCWC when they first rolled into town. They weren't available for purchase yet, so instead of getting a bottle, I've just been thinking of getting a bottle... for what, two years? The label art and the whole clown thing really put me off, even though I remember liking the scent. In any case, Xanthe popped up in a sale thread, and I figured it's now or never. And I'm *so* glad I went for it. In the bottle, it's all bubblegum. On the skin, it's pretty much the same. The pepper is there for a minute, and then it's all sugary, bubblegummy fruit. Which is just my kind of scent. :yum:

(I might have to remove the label, though. :ack: )

I haven't read many of the other reviews, so I'm not sure if this has been referenced, but it reminds me a lot of that chalky bubblegum you get in a coil... a quick google search reveals the name is Bubble Tape! That's exactly what it smells like.

After it's dried down and set for a while, it smells vaguely like White Rabbit, which I'm guessing is the pepper note. Overall, it's a strangely nice blend, but probably not one I'd want a bottle of. I'm very glad to try it, though! :D

Holy smokes, a fruity scent that I like!! Actually, to me, it is Miller vs. California without the brown paper bag scent. I so do like this, but I do have MvC that is pretty much identical on my skin.