Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Clockwork

Monster Bait: Underpants

Who doesn't want a monster in their pants? Sexy sugar-smeared saffron sandalwood over lickable vanilla cream with a splash of butter rum.

very interesting scent. in the bottle it is caramel-y, with something brighter hiding in the background - a bit sharp and chemically, but not unpleasant. on my skin it is murky at first - that is, i can't really tell what i'm smelling other than a buttery, rummy caramel, but not overly sweet - sort of dark and rich, but subtle. there's something mixed in - that sharp smell - a little chemically/plasticky - but i'm still sniffing away, enjoying the smell, trying to decipher what's in there. eventually the scent blossoms - with the vanilla creaminess coming out more, a definite muskiness, and something a bit spicy hiding in the background...it just gets more and more delicious as it develops! it is indeed custardy! like a rich caramel creme. everyone's underpants should smell this good!

Underpants smells just like butterscotch candies :P !

The sandalwood is very subdued, it just gives the vanilla and butter rum some added depth. Very nice! I'm so glad I was able to try it!

Also (amazingly) this got a compliment from my husband (who usually could care less about all my perfumes). :D

Firstly, let me say: Best Bottle Artwork EVER!

In the vial: sugary sweet vanilla with butter rum! Yay rum!

On the skin: the saffron sandalwood really makes this exotic! Normally I can't wear a lot of sandalwood, but the mix of vanilla and butter rum (I *love* butter rum lifesavers!) make this delectable! Yum yum yum!

Underpants starts off so well on me..vanilla, caramel booze and spice..but..then it just changes to this sweet plastic smell.. which..isn't too bad. ...I guess it's just the pantie elastic!

Initially, this is... hmm... sugar. Sugar and vanilla rum. (I'm suddenly thinking of the Whaler's in my pantry and thinking that I need to pick up some orange juice.) Slowly, the saffron comes out, spicing it but not really warming it, just kicking the vanilla into a higher gear. As it dries, the saffron comes out more, drawing it away from sugared rum and closer to foodiness. (To go with my craving for Whaler's, I now want Thai food.) It doesn't change much from that, flirting with spicy sweetness.

Much as I like the scents, it's not anything remarkable on me. It's pleasant and I'd wear it for the imagery, but this isn't something that I'd wear to make people stop and sniff me. Overall, I'm glad I got it, but I doubt it'll be getting as much mileage with me as it's Closet-originating cousin.

Imp: Sweet cream cheese and vanilla icings! It smells heavenly... there's a spice on the end that is just barely there. Reminds me of cake batter and icing.

Wet: Mmm, this is warm and sugary! Very delicious. Don't know where or what saffron is, and the sandalwood is hiding now but I do hope they show up. The butter rum is faint, but present in the back.

Dry: Alright, the sandalwood came out to play, pushing the cream icing to the background a bit. The oddly pleasant yellow scent must be the saffron, adding a slightly spicy edge to the blend.

Category: Foody/Sandalwood

Rating: 5/5; I don't like foody scents but this was delicious!

Overall: I can't believe it took me so long to try this decanted imp I've had for a month! It's delicious and I would totally wear this! And I don't like foody scents! Oh, heavenly untouchable scent, I love you and will cherish you!

Underpants starts off so well on me..vanilla, caramel booze and spice..but..then it just changes to this sweet plastic smell.. which..isn't too bad. ...I guess it's just the pantie elastic!

i get that, too. cheap vinyl/plastic and dollarstore vanilla body lotion.

such a shame! i love the bottle...and it smells so good before it hits my skin. i'll try this in my scent lockets.

at least i'm not alone in the "panty elastic" drawer....

*siGh*

edited to add:

i tried this again yesterday and it was a little better... i actually got the saffron and some vanilla-sandalwood. but it still wound up being plastic in the end. :P { Sep 6 2006, 03:15 AM }

10/19/06 745am

i tried this again this morning and... wow, it keeps changing! i think what i'm getting now is more of what some of y'all have been getting all along.

is your bottle getting stronger? the scent getting more intense? i know mine is! and its crazy! the saffron and sandalwood are getting milder and the vanilla and buttercream are getting stronger... but without just smelling like cake batter or frosting.

eventually, it still turns into panty elastic or something equally unappealing, but.... hey, for anyone else it didn't work on in April, give it some time!

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

Mm, from the vial this smells strongly in a similar way to Egg Nog, so perhaps it's the alcohol and sugar creaminess ... But this is different, and more like slightly burned caramel. On my skin the burned scent fades and it becomes sweeter, yet not overly so - the sandlewood kicks in to balance the sweetness. After a couple of hours it fades somewhat, and it smells much lighter and more vanilla-like - it's less like caramel as the sandlewood settles - though it's still smooth and slightly sweet. It's something that I can catch a whiff of throughout the day, and it's just gorgeous.

In the bottle - Booze and caramalised sugar.

Wet on me - It's got a linen feel like Antique Lace, but with the boozy caramelly sugar behind it. I just hope it doesn't turn into ashes.

Dry on me - Sandalwood and something dry and sharp. After about an hour actually close to my skin it smells of ashes, but the waft (particularly off my cleavage) is the dirty vanilla of Tombstone. The vanilla gradually outways the ashes, but in general they are just too much :P

It starts out butterscotch... vanilla... caramel... boozey though, a little 'funny'. The sandalwood is so subdued I honestly couldn't smell it, and I am not a fanof sandalwood at all. I am assuming that is what gives the foodyness some depth. But when wearing it, Underpants goes all plasticy on me. It... pulls out early, before it delivers, in my opinion. The scent does stay for quite some time though.

at first: sweet, but light and powdery.

on: now i can smell the rum and the sweetness is heavier, but the sandalwood is keeping it light and smooth. lovely.

4 hours later: sweet, soft sandalwood.

overall: lovely, lovely stuff. i adore sandalwood and this is no exception. this will be nice when i want a soft, sweet scent.

everyone loves the panties. everyone WANTS the panties. I had no interest in the panties from the description, but had no choice but to be a little excited when the Enabler had a bottle that didn't work for her up for MY grabs first! :D I read the reviews and saw "lemon butter cookie" for some, and got a little more excited.

Verdict? While I WANTED to like it (peer pressure, damn it!), it did NOT like me or my nose. I could smell that cookie... but there was too much more with it. the rum smell was so sour, and hurting my sensitive nose. Making me grimace. but i kept sniffing. sniff... sniff... sniffffffff...

nope, panties do NOT like me. :P

Enabler passes on to the next person instead...

underpants.jpg

I tried to resist the temptation to try underpants. I really did. It is limited, it is finished, it is one of those legedary scents. I knew I was going to like it. Argggh!

A dear friend sent me a sample of it. It really reminds me of Demeter's Sugar Cookie, but it is far better. I smell lemon somewhere in the background, just like the better sugar cookie recipes, there is lemon in the dough. It is a musk, it hangs around and pumps out its goodness just under the radar. Just a drop will keep you happy all day long. Try to cling to it with your nose, and it's gone before you can say "underpants".

In some ways it reminds me of whatever musk there is in Antique Lace, but not quite. There is vanilla down there but it combines so well with the rest of the ingredients that it loses its character and becomes part of the whole very gracefully. Sandawood? I don't detect that note but I bet it is in there, just in such a small proportion that it too is part of the whole rather than claiming the spotlight.

This may have been a fun scent and a tease, but Underpants is really a good good scent. I am happy I got to try it and got to love it. It's, I hope, a harbinger of things to come. Yesssss.

Hmm. I think I favor the other monsters. Underpants goes straight to dust on me. There's a little bit of sandalwood in there, but it's just the barest hint. Oh well. :P

Monster Bait: Underpants smells FABULOUS in the bottle and on my skin when I first apply it. It smells like a butterscotch ice cream sundae! It smells so good I actually licked my arm *embarrassed* (it doesn’t taste like it smells, I promise!). I don’t smell the sandalwood in it at all until about the 2.5-3 hour point, at which time, I catch the occasional waft of soft sandalwood lightly powdered with sweet, yellow saffron. Sadly, prior to getting the nice, light sandalwood scent, at about the 30 minute mark, Underpants gains a slight touch of the plastic scent that most foody scents turn to on my skin. It’s not as strongly plastic as some, but it’s definitely still there. So by the time I smell the sandalwood and saffron, their scents are co-mingled with the smell of plastic butterscotch. I put some in my oil burner and decided to test it that way, but again with the plastic smell – only this time, burnt plastic. I will give it a shot in my scent locket next, and if that’s also a no go, then sadly, I will have to give up my bottle. As for the level of throw, it’s fairly light. I don’t smell it unless I’m purposefully sniffing my skin. However, the staying power is fabulous. It’s still discernible at about the 4 hour point, which is great staying power for me and my dry skin.

OH GOOD GOSH ALMIGHTY!!! One swipe of the magic wand and I swooned! When I first put it on it was strong, vanilla and rum. After about an hour, the saffron appeared. After a few hours the sandalwood came forward to mingle with the rest. All of the notes are now present and the vanilla is no longer as foody as it was in the beginning, but more of a vanilla orchid.

On me it has a pretty strong throw. I was walking through the market and I could smell this heavenly fragrance wafting around me. I found myself being led to the bakery section :P

Origin: decant in a mini-roller bottle, bought on LJ

Initial Thoughts: I have found that I'm not very into the foody scents as perfume, though some things like Gingerbread Poppet make good room scents. But I have discovered on my BPAL journey that I adore vanilla. So when I got the chance to try this, I did.

In the Bottle: extremely sweet vanilla.

Wet: Oh. My. God. Rich and creamy vanilla rum! I cannot pry my nose from my wrist and I could get drunk off this scent!

Drydown: The sandalwood emerges. It stays very vanilla but the sweetness of it fades quite a bit. A few hours later, it's definitely vanilla-scented sandalwood.

Verdict: If it held to the wet stage, I'd be all over eBay right now trying to land a bottle and damn the price. But the drydown disappoints me. I may try to get an imp sometime for scent locket purposes, but I will be happy that I was able to try it and know.

ETA: On an impulsive inspiration I tried layering this with Enraged Bunny Musk (don't ask me why, I don't know!) and WOW! :P I felt like sex on legs as long as it lasted!

Edited by puck_nc

Oooh, I wanted to love the Underpants. The bottle - cheeky! saucy! ... The descriptions and notes sounded amazing.... until the Saffron Monster squashed the crap out of all the other lovely notes and once it hit my skin, it was all musty, dry, slightly nauseating saffron! I hang onto the bottle for a bit, thinking I'd save it for a good-skin-chemistry day but I knew it wasn't going to work....

But for all the folks who can wear it, you're lucky and I hope you're all loving your Panties :D :P

In the bottle: A boozey version of Wurther's Original candies...it's SO good!

Wet on the skin: Woah, hello butter rum! It's really really strong..and that vanilla cream really starts to come on top making it into some kind of icing...Cream cheese icing almost.... :P

Dry down: The sandalwood comes out, but it's very sweet..the booze and vanilla make it into a very warm, not overly sweet blend and it's quite enjoyable :D

Overall I would give this a 4/5.

Edited by BrightRedScream

I got a sniffie of this from a VERY nice and generous forum member. There is just enough inside the vial for 2-3 tests.

In the vial it's a very strong cake-ey sugary smell, much like Underbed and Closet. Not something particularly unique or special.

I still eagerly put some on my wrist. Wet, it reminded me a lot of Enraged Bunny Musk, which I didn't much like, but with an added sugaryness. It was pretty disappointing and rather confusing because so many people on here rave about it and to me it was just like.. 'eh?' like 'what's so special?'

I put the vial away and got distracted with another activity.

Then I absent-mindedly sniffed my wrist again (a self confessed habit I've had ever since I started sniffing BPAL)....AND....

:D HALLELUJAH!

Oh my LORD. Everything that was 'eh' became.. 'OMG!'

Now there are quite a few foody BPAL scents that are just too sickly sweet for me (much like a really good cake with WAY too much sugary frosting that you have to scrape off).

Underpants (when dry) is the sweetest BPAL I've tried that does not become sickly sweet. Not only this, but oh my god it is so yummy. It is hard to explain why exactly I like it so much. It is a second skin sort of scent. It reminds me of the sweet 'me' smell that bedding and pillows have after the laundry detergent and fabric softner smells go away. It reminds me of my teddy bear that I would sleep with every single night for ten years (yeah she was never washed :P ) and most of the reason why I couldn't sleep without her was because the smell just lulled me to sleep.

It does smell like creamy frosting, but more like creamy frosting that has been licked off your fingers and has left a sweet smell on your skin.

I really can't explain it any better than that!

I was actually kind of glad in my at first disappointment in this scent because I knew how hard it would be to find really ANY of this scent (I once saw it on ebay at a buy it now price of 200 dollars for one decant. :D )

But now that I have found how I adore it, I'm quite depressed.

In the Bottle: Hot buttered rum. Drool-worthy!

On Application: Oh how delicious. It's softened almost immediately; a sweet, creamy sandalwood.

On Drydown: Mmm, lovely. The base of sandalwood is lovely, and it mixes well with the sweetness of vanilla and sugar.

Comments: While this won't be an everyday scent, I'll keep it to wear when I want something a little more sweet.

Verdict: Keep.

I was determined not to try the Panties. I saw the description, and put away my credit card, safe in the knowledge that the foodies and I don't get along. When the forum and LJ were overrun with crazed Panty-sniffers, I was smug. Little did I know that a certain coveted decant was winging its way to me as a frimp in an uber-generous swap.

Sigh. Well, I guess I'll try it. :P

Panties reminds me quite a bit of Misk U, only with a bit more buttery caramel. The "butter" in buttercream scared me, because almost all the BPAL foody blends turn to movie theater popcorn on me, and I hate popcorn. This one, though, was pure butterscotch, which I happen to love. It's foody, but more in a sweet, super-sexy way than a wrist-eating, baked good way. The drydown on me is the same old-paper note I got in Misk U, which was the death knell for that blend on my skin. Panties takes quite a bit longer to reach that point, though, so I will most likely keep it around. Or maybe I'll slip it to an unsuspecting swapee one day and share the love. :D

O.M.G. perfectly sums up my reaction.

I'm usually not the biggest fan of foody scents, as I usually like the boozy and this does have boozy but it is more of a foody scent. Cake to be exact.

This is like a very expensive wedding cake. A moment of "eh, I normally don't like white cake but I'll try it anyway" and then being completely blown away and devouring 3 slices. This is Underpants to me.

I walked out of my bedroom and my husband was waiting for me to go somewhere, I gave him a hug and he literally gasped and said "You smell so good!!!" You wouldn't think he'd be surprised since I wear BPAL everyday but this one really blew him away too. Wow.

Figures, I have to fall in love with the scent everyone wants. I sense years of torture coming on unless Beth someday puts out some more which I am praying for hahah.

:P I could have SWORN I reviewed this before!

In the bottle, MB: Underpants is VERY foody. To me, it smells like butter rum Lifesavers and vanilla.

Wet, on my skin: Vanilla, but not a particularly foody one. It is an INTENSE, deep vanilla. And then the saffron starts to creep up with something boozy. Rum?

On drydown: The vanilla and booze top notes fade back and the Sandalwood comes out. The intriguing thing about MB: Underpants, to me, is that the longer I wear it, the stronger it gets!

I love it and wish I had more than one bottle! :D