Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Clockwork

Monster Bait: Underpants

Who doesn't want a monster in their pants? Sexy sugar-smeared saffron sandalwood over lickable vanilla cream with a splash of butter rum.

Didn't try this on the skin as I only had a sniffie. OK, but ultimately not really for me. I can see how others would enjoy it. The butter rum is very nice and creamy, and not overpowering. The sandlewood helps mellow the blend out. One of the notes seems a bit sour to me--I'm not sure if its the saffron or something else.

omfg. :P

Yes, it IS that good. Everything in this is just so perfect together - it's bright, creamy, and insanely sexy. There's a rich, amber-like quality to it, but it doesn't have amber's powderiness. The rum is subtle and doesn't turn to butterscotch or candy like it usually does on me. The sandalwood is grounding and gives it a sophisticated edge, but it's still a very young, fresh, nubile kind of scent. I think it gives me that impression because it reminds me of Ici, which I wore when I was 14.

It remains gorgeous through drydown - sandalwood, creamy vanilla, and that wonderful, unanticipated amber tone.

Why must I love this? *whimper* I didn't think I would, because I haven't liked some of these notes in other scents, but Underpants is absolute perfection.

Edited by suileach

in the imp: like house paint and cream. uh oh. :worried:

wet on skin: the cream and sweet vanilla is there, but there's something...else, that simply isn't working for me. :very worried:

dry down: *whew!* the sandlewood shows up and softens the blend into something sweet without being foody, sexy, but something i'd let my 15 year old wear (if i wasn't hording it, that is :P)

in all: certainly one to keep, but not to-die-for-loving-it as i thought. (which is a small relief :D)

Guh.

This is just sooooo pretty/sexy/bold/sultry.... The sandalwood and saffron are perfectly balanced by the vanilla, which at no point tries to go plastic like it does in most blends on me. The butter rum scared me a bit at first, but was not to be feared, only adding a sweet buttery richness far in the background. Amazing.

Ohhhh. Lordy. This was one of those scents I didn't like in the jar, but LOOOOOVE on my skin! Strong, sexy sweet sandalwood initially, then a blast of creamy vanilla, and a slight boozy note. As it lingers on your skin, it gets soft, stays sexy and smells absolutely intoxicating. Another winner! :P

Edited by pinkstardust420

I'm trying this hard-to-find beauty courtesy of my switch witch from the autumn round, the very generous and charming catsoap :P

Sandalwood is one of my all-time favourite notes and this doesn't disappoint; it's strong, smooth, dry, and sultry. A little bit of sugar sparkles around the edges and there's a touch (just a light touch) of butterscotch-like sweetness. Woodsy and sweet and very relaxing and sexy. I can see why everyone goes nuts for this one :D

In the vial: Sweet with a hint of sharpness and a creamy undertone.

On skin: This is an edible, creamy vanilla scent. After it's had a couple of minutes to settle, the sandalwood comes forward, changing the feel of the blend from gourmand to something else. The sweetness is also tempered by the sandalwood.

~30 mins: The sandalwood is a lot more apparent upon drydwon than it was when wet in the vial. It adds a warm, slightly dusty, woody undertone to the blend. I'm not so sure how much I like it's presence as it means that the blend is now only slightly sweet around the edges rather than the edible concoction it was before.

~4 hours: The sandalwood mellowed a little after ~2 hours, and then blend has diminished in strength since then. However, the basic composition remains the same: warm, slightly sandalwood as the base, overlaid with a slightly sweet, creamy touch of vanilla. Pleasant, but not amazing. I think I prefer it in the vial, and because of that I'm not sure that this is a keeper, though it might be lovely if worn in a scent locket.

Wow, finally I found an ultra rare worthy of the hype. This is wonderful. I love sandalwood but it usually amps like crazy on me. Not this time--the vanilla and cream mellow it out, and the saffron seems to give the whole a little kick. Oooh!! And it laaaasts--one teensy swipe on my hand was still there hours later.

I love my one lonely imp, and will be trolling teh intrenets for more.

Edited by dixiehellcat

the hype! it does not lie!

this is SO. INSANELY. FANTASTIC.

in the bottle soft and butter-rum-y

wet on skin sandalwood! vanilla! saffron! it's the beautiful bastard love child of haloes and love's philosophy.

dry on skin sandalwood is the uppermost note for me for a good long while, nicely tempered by the soft, sweet bits. it's soft and fading fast. if i could bathe in it, i would.

edit for tears of blood: nooooo! it turns into sour milk and snow white on me. THIS SO SUCKS IN A MILLION DIFFERENT WAYS!!!

Edited by ravenfeathers

I missed Underpants, and I've had a horrible time trying to get my hands on some to try, so here I am, two years into my obsession with BPAL (two and a half years since they released it) and I finally have my very own bottle to slather. First impressions:

OH! I SEE.

Deliciousness. Tawny, warm and sweet. I feel sexy and innocent at the same time. My mom adores it, but she can't remember its real name (or thinks the real name is unsayable because she's like that) so she tells me, "I can still smell that Smartypants on you. It's great!" :P

I've heard that saffron is a popular ingredient in mainstream perfumes, too, so maybe that's why this is such a grown-up scent even though it's got such a childlike genesis.

It's worth the trouble! Though it's not great for this hot weather - it kind of cooked off my skin after two hours because it was 95 degrees and I wasn't driving with the AC on. It's still going to be one of my top ten scents, as cliche as that makes me.

I'll admit, Underpants is my fav BPAL. I hate loving something so rare, but its soooo goood.

The vanilla cream is sweet and pretty, while the sandalwood gives it depth. It goes very woody for a few minutes when it dries, but I love it so much I don't mind.

The only thing I dislike about the Underpants is the price I have to pay to get more.. Sadly, I can't seem to get enough of it. :D

This is an ever so slightly vanilla-y sweet tinged sandalwood for me, wet and on dry down. Where is the rest of my lovely vanilla-y goodness? I smell like a tree. A very little tree, too, since there's practically no throw. I was so sure I'd love this - I'll have to try again later, in hopes of better results.

Holy love of gawd.... this is amazing.

I bought it for a friend who loves teh foodies.. and of course I couldn't resist trying it for myself :P

So yeah.. she can't have it. MINE!! In the bottle it's sweet sandalwood... on the skin it's sugar sandalwood with sweet spices making me drool like crazy. I can barely smell the booze so it's all good in my book..

This is by far...the BEST sandalwood blend in the whole freaking world. :D

She's gonna give me the evil eye when she notices that half the bottle has been decanted into my stash :D

I get the saffron sandalwood vanilla dreaminess. But the 'cream' aspect has the general burnt plastic tone that I've come to associate with the cream component. For someone else's skin chemistry this would be delectable, and I can see why people are crazy about it. It just doesn't work for me.

Wow, this is pretty darned good! I get the vanilla, and it very well blended with everything else. I wouldn't even call this foody, but a cousin of foody if that makes sense. This is similar to Inez to me, but bolder and does not fade as Inez sometimes does on me. Will be hoarding the imp for sure!

In imp: buttery rum and vanilla, and surprisingly fruity! It smells wonderful!

*pauses a moment to fully appreciate the hugeness that is MonsterBait: Underpants - possibly the most sought after scent in the world of BPAL ... *

Wet on skin: still oddly fruity, warm and yellow, with creamy vanilla and sandalwood that smells of fresh wood shavings. Mmmmmmm - this is sooooo goooood! It's buttery and sweet (but not sickly) and absolutely lickable, with a boozy tang of rum. It reminds me a little of Haloes, but without the icky note that spoiled Haloes for me. Oh wow - I love this far too much! I really hope Beth resurrects it - perhaps to celebrate Lillith Victoria being potty-trained!!!

Dry on skin: still gorgeous! No, wait a minute ... probably even better! This is buttercup yellow like a sunny meadow. It's warm, sweet and lickable, and it has just the right amount of throw - I can smell it without huffing my arm and without slathering, although believe me - I'm huffing my arm too! There is a reason why this scent is so sought after! It fades a little on the drydown, and eventually goes to sweet and powdery custard, but every stage of it is wonderful! This is the perfect vanilla scent!

Next morning: it's still there, in the form of a faint glow of soft vanilla close to my skin. I cannot emphasise enough how gorgeous this vanilla is!

a very faint, plasticky vanilla. smells better in the bottle, but not for me. it sounded like something i'd love, so i guess i dodged a bullet there, haha.

Sweet and delicious! This smells like buttercream frosting and rum cake in the imp and on the skin. I was fortunate enough to receive a little sample of this with some of my Halloweenie decants. Unfortunately, I now feel compelled to track down a bottle of the stuff. :P

I finally found a somewhat reasonably priced bottle of Underpants to try and I have to say it comes close to living up to its hype, although truthfully, I think Underbed, Closet, and Bloody Mary are just a little better.

In the bottle it's like creamy vanilla rum.

On the skin, it smells like yellow cake with buttercream frosting and a dash of boozy rum. :P

Edited by angelicruin

Underpants is the first Monsterbait I purchased (pretty much just for the name). On me, it's all toothache-inducing buttercream frosting. I just barely make out the saffron. I've noticed that, as the day wears on, it seems to get stronger and sweeter. I don't *hate* it, but I prefer a tiny dab of Underbed or Tokyo Stomp.

Ok, I was very generously frimped this a few months ago and was afraid to try it because I was afraid I would love it...

This smells ridiculously good in the imp. Very similar to one of my favorite blends, Love's Philosphy, but sugary and with added sandalwood...yum!

Hmmm...ok now on my skin I get a bit of a plastic note...I'm trying to recall what this reminds me of...some other bpal blend that didn't work for me. And the sandalwood is starting to amp...I like sandalwood, but it tends to overpower most blends for me...

Overall, I can definitely see why people might compare this and LP. They smell similar in the imp. But this is way softer on the saffron, way stronger on the sugar (almost a sugared vanilla-very Faith-esque), and the sandalwood is definitely noticeable. If you a sandalwood amper like me, it may overtake the blend. Super sugared vanilla, sandalwood, and a hint of buttercream. Dries down to a soft sweet vanilla sandalwood. Good, but I'll stick with LP!

Edit 11/20/2011-So, I now have a bottle of this from a trunk show a while back, so I am going to give this a second go and see if my mind has been changed. I still worry I am going to get the plastic-y note, or that I am going to amp the sandalwood too much...we shall see!

In the bottle, this is sweet buttery vanilla. I get a bit of saffron and a bit of sandalwood, but this is mostly a nummy foody vanilla. Maybe like a mix between love's philosophy + detestable putrescence + sandalwood?

On my skin---yum! Buttery saffron, vanilla, and sandalwood. I do sort of get that plastic-y note I noticed in the imp I had of this...I have no idea what note that is...it's so odd. It's almost chemical-y. Also, the saffron is much stronger than I remember from the imp. Hmm...this blend sort of confuses me...it is delicious, but it also has that weird chemical-y fakeness...It's sort of one of those blends on me that smells like yummy vanilla yummyness from far away, but up close is sort of weird/dusty/chemically.

You know, I can totally see why people love this. It was one of those alllmost omg amazing blends on me, just had that weirdness (I think the sandalwood) that kept it from being one of those blends!

Edited by Suu4LC

Wow; I was lucky enough to be frimped half an imp...and I'm stoked! The saffron is the selling point here...divine!

One of my favorites!

Wet: sugary, but smells more of butter rum then vanilla

Dry: the vanilla and sandalwood amps up and makes it smell so sweet and creamy!

quite wonderful :wub2:

((though odd, I have Underpants from 3 different sources and while 2 are very similar... one actually smells quite different--as if there's no butter rum! but I still love it :P ))

Sniffed: Light yellow oil. Not nearly as sweet as I had expected. A soft sort of butter-vanilla caramel, not too buttery, a general booziness, slightly dry, strong sandalwood and a bit of slightly sharp saffron. Foody, but not cloying.

Wet: Really intense vanilla. A lot less buttery-foody on my skin, though there is still a boozy-caramel note. The saffron is still a bit sharp, almost chemical - but buffered by the creamy vanilla, and now smoother sandalwood. I agree that the vanilla is very similar to the one in Antique Lace.

Dry: The sandalwood is really amping on me, and I realise I was wrong about Jingo-Kogo. It does have sandalwood, most definitely, and this does remind me of J-K, though it's sweeter and much richer, and the sandalwood dryer. The saffron has taken on a slightly spicy edge.

Later: Saffron fading a bit, and it has lost its sharpness - it's very pleasant now. This is all sandalwood and rich vanilla on me, very creamy and intense. As with Antique Lace, it's a vanilla I like from a distance, but up close it's a bit cloying. However, AL becomes gorgeous after a few hours.

Summary: Dry, almost dusty sandalwood with intense, creamy, almost cloying French vanilla and some very nice musk, on final drydown. Still a little hint of exotic saffron. I do like the drydown, but I'm not in love and it's not worth the too-long VANILLA stages. VERY strong throw & longevity.

THANK GOD I don't love this.