Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Damask Rose

Nocturne

An olfactory serenede. A somber, contemplative scent -- dreamy and subdued. Deepest violet touched with lilac and tuberose.

This is the lilac blend I've been looking for. Not mixed with rose, or a cologne, it's gorgeous.

The lilac, violet, and tuberose play so well together, it's well balanced, feminine, and beautiful.

In the imp: The tuberose is the strongest note. Sometimes I get more lilac after the tuberose, and sometimes, more violet.

Wet: The heady tuberose and lilac are the strongest notes on my skin, but the violet is there, draping them both in its purple cloak. There is a sour quality to the scent while the floral notes fight among themselves for the main role. In the end, the tuberose wins, but the lilac note is right behind it.

Dry: The tuberose and lilac are still the dominant notes, with the soft violet draped lightly over them. The sour aspect of the scent that was present during the wet stage is no longer present during this stage, and the lilac and violet notes seem to be getting stronger over time.

After a while, the violet does end up being the strongest note, followed by the lilac.

Verdict: Violet is generally a note I dislike. But it was the heady tuberose in this that ended up being problematic for me during the wet phase, and while it was pleasant after the tuberose managed to calm down, the violet did take over in the end. I won't be keeping my imp, but I'm glad I got to try it.

I'm retesting and re-reviewing everything I own due to medical/medicine changes.

In the imp-I would have pegged this as a white floral, but I sometimes get that from lilac

Wet: Oh gods what have I done. Something in this does not like me at all. I would have definitely put money on there being white musk in this blend.

Dry: Meat. It smells like meat. And hairspray. Sometimes violet on me is great, and sometimes it's meat. This is a meat blend.

into the frimp box you go.

Age Unknown: Date: November 2016

In the vial: absolutely beautiful blend. Lilac tends to overpower but here. This is a garden at night. All of the flower blend perfectly together.

Wet on Skin: violet and lilac in the forefront. There is a little heavy rose grounding everything and keeping it from being too airy. It blends together in the deep breath inhales, then fades.

Dry 30+ mins: The scent is very soft and gentle. The sweetness of the violet mixes well with the lilac. This is like a more innocent version of Les Fleurs du Mal. There's a very calm night impresion of this scent.

Worn 3+ hours: There is a sweetness in this floral. The violets and lilacs give the sweetness a very fruity scent. This reminds me of Oya. If Oya is the Goddess of air and ozone, Nocturne would be the night sky trailing in her wake. This a clear and airy scent. I could wear this everyday. It isn't a dark scent. Very feminine.

Wet: In order of strongest to least; tuberose, violet, lilac. It's reminding me of Daddy-O Shampoo by Lush. (Disclaimer: it's been several years since I smelled it.)

Dry: This is practically a violet single note on me now; I'm not sure where the tuberose or the lilac went. Apparently violet kicked their butts and ran them out of town. There is a faint powderyness that may be from the tuberose in the background, but otherwise.. violets on top of violets on top of violets.

Impression in the Imp: A classic (and classy) spring floral, violet in the front.

5 to 10 minute drydown: Violet, some tuberose, and a light waft of lilac! Exactly what it says!

1 hour: The violets continue to dominate. It's a very pretty scent but very traditionally feminine which generally isn't my interest. Still, may keep it around for very girly days. It is really well blended and charming, just doesn't match my aesthetic.

I get sugary violet at first, then something dusty and sharp which I, at first, thought was maybe lavender.  There's also a hint of light, white floral in the background.  Seeing lilac as a listed note, I realize that's what I'm getting as "maybe lavender," but it's going a little sharp/chemical on me.  This one is a well balanced violet/ lilac floral that would probably be extremely pretty with the right chemistry, but doesn't quite work well enough on me to win against other violet blends.  It does indeed evoke twilight and cool nights.  

In the imp: Violet and lilac. 

On my skin:

Wet, the lilac jumps to the forefront of the scent, though the violet is well detectable in the background. As it dries, the lilac recedes, and the tuberose emerges -- but it's really violet that's the star of this show. It's a very strong base note at this stage, with the other florals very much serving as accents. Given time to warm and develop, the violet becomes even stronger, until it's basically taking over the scent. 

I'm torn. I like violet as a note. But because of that, I have a number of other violet-prominent perfumes. Compared to the depth of Fallen, the spice of Sybaris, and the lightness of Marie, Nocturne is just sort of plain on me. But it's very violet-forward, so of course I want to like it. I think I'm going to put it away for a little while. I have no idea how old this imp is (source: frimp), so perhaps some aging will change it. Or at least, it will help me determine just how much I like it. 

Like all violet scents on me, I should point out that both the throw and the wear length are longer than average.  

Violets, that’s it. Beautiful soft and powdered violets. Strong and in your face but yet still delicate enough. On me this doesn’t amp anything but violet and possibly a tiny touch of lilacs to hold them up. This again makes me think of hotter climates than my native England. In that hour the sun has just set, surrounded by heavy blooms and heat. Absolutely gorgeous and for any violet loves this is spectacular. It’s not the usual candied or boozy violet but it really is very special. 

Beautiful floral, very feminine and fresh. Such a shame it does not last on my skin, one hour later and it was gone 😢

In the imp, I mostly get violet -- it's that kind of violet that's watery, yet a little spicy at the same time. As it wears, violet stays dominant (and gets very slightly powdery), with hints of lilac coming through after drydown. I never manage to pick out the tuberose. Overall impression is that it's a springlike floral, but think cool, dark, rainy spring days. 

Nocturne

In the vial: Sister scent to the Raven, but Odile to her Odette. Violets but while somewhat melancholical not as somber, the tuberose lifts it up out of its grief and gives it hope in the dusk

On me, wet: lilac steps forth to say she’s there, to count her with the violets and tuberose, three sisters, as is the opening of so many novels and this sets the scene as twilight settles in

On me, just dried: Still the three sisters sit in their parlor and exchange somewhat gnomic interlocking pleasantries, as though rhyming together, as the dusk grows bluer

After 15 minutes: Tuberose brings up a point and leads the discussion, but Violet responds. Lilac is reduced to the occasional ‘mm-hmm’ ‘mm-mmm’

After 30 minutes: low chatter amongst the three of them, no voice rises above the others and I cannot make out what they are saying precisely as no one is speaking over the other

After 1 hour: conversation fades to a murmur

After 3 hours: comfortable silence and echoes as we retire to bed, exhausted.

Verdict – On the promise of the description I bought a big bottle and I do love it – I’m not disappointed but at it’s lack of staying power and for that can’t countenance buying it again. Similar to The Raven, though somewhat lighter in mood, though the raven caws and caws all night long and this gives out to an early night despite it’s name, or at least it does on me.

Received as an imp. Out of the bottle, & on skin, it is a strong floral, & all the notes sing in harmony together. I don't get any shifting. I would have sworn it has some fruit in it. It's a bright & Springtime scent. Feeling femme when I sniff this.

Wow, I really love this one. I had tested it before, years ago, when I was still smoking cigarettes and I did not like it. At all.

But it's beautiful. The violet makes it powdery but not too dense or scratchy. More like a silky minky light blanket. The teeniest minty undercurrent in there.

The lilac gives it a honeyed marzipan feel, a hint of waxiness.

I cannot discern the tuberose but I guess it adds sweetness and body/weight to the blend.

I can't believe how well it is playing with my skin. There's no sharpness or soapiness. It's softly sweet and warm and very spring-like. I'm not a dainty feminine person at all, but this definitely makes me feel like one.

One thing, though: I have only applied the tiniest drop and it is getting quite loud. Tiny drop is definitely the way to go with this one.

I've become so sensitive to fragrance that I end up washing off most blends I try these days. I'm glad to find that there are fragrances that I can appreciate better now than before. I'll be checking out more violet blends.

Next day: Ok, I have to rate it down a little. The remains of Nocturne on my sweater sleeve got on my nerves a lot later. They had nothing of the warm honeyed fresh blossom scent to them but were screechy scratchy floral perfume only. It kind of put me off the blend. It might be wearable as a tiny drop on my ankle in summer maybe. But just from remembering the scent on my sweater sleeve, I will probably not reach for it anytime soon. Sad since it started out so nicely.

Edited by blu°
update

I didn't have a great time with tuberose earlier, so I'm not sure how this will go, but I like violet and lilac a lot if they play well.

In bottle: rich sweet violet, seems pretty straightforward but pleasant, could get too sweet if it goes the wrong way very easily.

Wet on skin: It's not got a ton of initial throw on me. Definitely getting sweeter right away though, I think that the tuberose might be out to get me again.

On drydown: Nocturne has sadly gone 100% tuberose sweetness on me. A lesson I am learning, a little bit of tuberose on me goes an extremely long way. The violet was nice for the five minutes it lasted.

This is a very soft and ephemeral floral that nonetheless has a lot of staying power. I agree with what people have said about it being a quiet, reflective, feminine scent. Remind me of when I used to go on walks around the neighbourhood at 3am, when all is quiet and silent and bathed in silvery moonlight.

This is a powdery violet, but the lilac and tuberose round it out to some extent. It smells, well, lilac. Pale purple.

Sweet, floral, soft but perfumy.