Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Damask Rose

Nocturne

An olfactory serenede. A somber, contemplative scent -- dreamy and subdued. Deepest violet touched with lilac and tuberose.

As someone who's usually not a fan of florals, I must say this scent is gorgeous.

On me it pretty much stays the same wet or dry, aside from being a bit more powdery during the first ten minutes. The three notes are blended so well that I can't really distinguish them at all. Which is great, because I was worried about the violet being too strong for me, but it's not at all. Nocturne smells light and dreamy, feminine and innocent with a subtle sexiness beneath the surface. It seems to alternate back in forth between being creamy and fresh, both aspects being equally nice. Just lovely.

In the Imp (ITI): The first sniff isn’t all that pleasant, unfortunately. It smells like baby shampoo. If I concentrate, I get less baby shampoo and more cold lilac and some sweet hints of violet. The rose is a bit faint, but the more I sniff, the better it smells.

Wet: Thankfully, the scent is much less sharp on my skin. The violet and the lilac play well together in an icy and sweet pas de deux. The tuberose is rather faint, but it adds to the softness of the scent. Now that it is on my skin, it’s actually a rather feminine and slightly sultry floral scent.

Dry: After nearly 2 hours, the sharpness that makes me feel like I need to sneeze has all but dissipated. The violet and lilac are dominant, but faintly so. There is a slight pwoderiness to the floral, but it’s pleasant.

Nocturne is mostly violet on my skin, with a hint of Tuberose. It's a soft, natural floral. I like it because it's subtle and smells like a natural skin scent. Good for days when I feel like wearing a soft scent. It smells quite lotion-y though, and I was hoping for a bit more Lilac. I am going to keep the imp and test it a few more times before deciding if I want a bottle. It's a possible bottle purchase though.

I know the powdery smell of Choward's violets well, and I was hoping for that. On me, the effect is really more like a gardenia, the full voluptuous warm scent favored by my grandmother. So it suggests to me a pink and yellow tinged white blossom with thick heavy petals, and is to my eye not a deep purple, or even a pale purple fragrance.

Wet it does have a purple aspect, more vaporous and sharp, which is soon replaced by the cream-colored warmth. I can't smell this one if my nose is more than six inches from my wrist, and it doesn't last long in the open air. Beneath my shirt, it retains a gardenia musk with some of the elusive purple still mixed in.

If I imagine a piano nocturne playing as I inhale, I see a misty river running through a city under a bridge at dusk, and I see myself sitting back in a wooden chair in someone's apartment, enjoying the window and the green wallpaper, satisfied to hold my whole body very still, my head slightly tilted, after drinking a lot of tea. My host has asked me a question and I'm about to answer it with great authority. I haven't formulated the answer but I know that it will come spilling out fully formed. But then again there is the gardenia which heralds the flattening and dissipation of the perfume.

On the skin: Fresh, sweet florals! Definitely getting a lot of violet here! This one is very pretty and quite girly. Smells like a lovely bouquet!

Not for me sadly, but this blend is beautiful!

A beautiful scent that lingers low to the skin, but still has hints of its existence wafting about you.

The color is a true muted pale purple blue. Hazy in the evening dew.

The violet is a beautiful sweet and mildly dusty note, reminiscent of violet candies, and accets the perfumy tuberose beautifully. There is an additional tart and vanilla like quality added by the lilac which balances out the other two flowers. It warms up on the skin nicely as it dries.

Beautiful.

I'm glad I got to try it, though I'm on the fence about a bottle.

In bottle only: Violet dominant with lilac support. The rose is well blended and understated. I’d suggest this for a woman in her late teens.

On First Being Opened: Well, it's... Floral. There's a hint of something not quite right?

Wet on Skin: I think I'm getting tuberose more than anything but that note that I didn't like at all disappears once it's on me, which is a big yay.

Drydown: Loses some of it's heaviness. Becomes a very comforting, calming sort of floral indeed.

Right now it hasn't been dry on my skin long, but it's faded to something I quite like, not overpowering. Not SUPER TUBEROSE anymore. I actually just dabbed it on at midnight when I realized I'd never typed up a review... and I could definitely go to sleep with a little hint of it lingering on me. It's a great bedtime scent for me once it dries a bit.

Lilac has always been a favorite childhood flower for me, and tuberose I learned to love in soaps and shampoos so this is darn near perfect on me, violet is very subtle, just a trace bit of sourness announcing its presence. The effect is that of a moonlight sonota drifting through gossamer curtains late at night. :violin: One of the few Ars Moriendi scents that work on me.

So this has the exact same powdery note as Le Serpent Qui Danse, so now I know it's the violet note that goes incredibly powdery on my skin. It is less powdery than it appears in Le Serpent Qui Danse and I can actually smell a bit of sweet blue violet underneath. That definitely dominates, though I can smell the lilac as well and the tuberose is there, but very well-blended (tuberose easily dominates in floral blends IME, but it doesn't here) That creamy scent lilac always has mixes with the powdery violet and it creates a very creamy floral white bar soap kind of vibe.

So. Violet is the devil on me. It induces migraines and makes me nauseous. BUT I don't amp it, so sometimes I can wear something with violet in it. Plus, this was a frimp, and is someone is kind enough to give me something to try, I'm darn well going to try it.

Wet - Omg, the Lilac!! I love Lilac. But it's quickly overshadowed by the Tuberose. The violet is behaving though and not making me ill.

Dry - Not terrible! I love the lilac note, but something about the combo with the tuberose and hints of violet aren't really doing it for me. Still, glad to have gotten to try it!

What a lovely soft floral. In the imp I get only tuberose and violet, but on my skin I get mostly lilac and tuberose. The violet fades in and out (as violet is wont to do) and gives a nice candyish sweetness. Classic and perfume-y, but this is truly a dusky scent of the gloam. This could be a very nice sleep scent for those who can't stand lavender.

In the imp: Primarily violet right now, with tuberose adding some non-intrusive grounding and slink. I don't have a great scent profile for lilac, but this violet smells dewy and fresh, not starchy and powdery, so I'm totally willing to believe that's lilac at work.

Wet: A heady, candy-like sweetness. Less distinguishable as any particular floral; just a general impression of candied flower petals.

Dry: Gets softer and drier remarkably quickly, and ends up as a soft, powdery violet. As mentioned above, I might have to test this against Le Serpent Qui Danse - they're remarkably similar!

This is a very lush violet scent, darker for me than say Marie or Brusque Violet.

I could totally see this as a lovely soft go to sleep scent.

In the vial: Generic purple jellybeans!

Wet: Oooh, tuberose! Lilac! Nope nope, that's all violet! yelly violet!!!

I like all of these notes, though I do hope for more of the lilac and tuberose rather than the violet, which can smell fake-grape-candylike on me, which is where I think the "purple jellybean" smell is coming from (or sometimes even violet-candy-ish which makes more sense!).

Up close it's all violet, a pretty violet that's not too too sweet, but I get wafts of the tuberose and lilac from further away. (I'm just now noticing that tuberose and lilac read fairly similarly on my skin, lilac being a little wetter/brighter and tuberose being a little fruitier!)

Yeah, the fruity parts of the tuberose are teaming up with the violet to give me a very purple-jellybean scent. I don't dislike this, really, but I'm not in love with it either - I wanted more of a lilac/tuberose scent than a violet one. Every once in a while I get the lilac/tuberose parts of the blend more than the violet and I LOVE that scent, but the violet-heavy wafts are too candy-sweet on me for what I prefer.

Got this one as a frimp, and it's definitely not one I'd buy intentionally. I'm okay with lilac, and tuberose is a nice note on me, but that violet...*shakes head* Just can't do it. I keep trying it just to figure out if I'm amping it, or if I just don't like it, or what, but I think it's just that one note that's so off-putting. It's the strangest thing, since I love Elf...unless parma violets are much different. All I know is, there's a certain sour-sharp note that I've come to associate with a violet note, which just turns my stomach a little. And unfortunately, Nocturne's is so strong I can't stand it. I think this imp is getting relegated to the junk pile with C'thulu.

Realised I hadn't left a review!

I LOVE this scent - my friend gave me an imp of it when I was disappointed in another violet scent I had tried. Nocturne was exactly what I was hoping for and I ordered a big bottle immediately. It's very beautiful and dreamy, the violet is definitely strongest on me, but the lilac and tuberose add a lovely layer. It's not too sweet either, just so pretty and floral.

Definitely recommend for anyone who loves violets (but wants to avoid sugar violets like me)

I don't really get why this one isn't working on me, and I'm actually very disappointed about it. Tuberose and lilac are two of my favorite florals, and I tend to like violets too. Together, though, they're blending into a weird, sharp, fruity-floral air freshener kind of scent. Definitely not for me.

This is lovely- a deep rich violet. Lilac heralds the opening, but quickly backs away for the tuberose that flits in and out again. Dry down is all violet, not only a floral bouquet, but leaves and stems. Not a light- hearteded or sweet perfume, but deep and brooding.

I had unfortunately already ordered a decant of Humanite when I skin-tested Nocturne. I have very few scents with tuberose in them, but I'm coming to the conclusion that it's never going to work on my skin. A shame: Nocturne is beautiful in the imp.

It's a beautiful scent that has zero staying power for me. It's lots of fresh violets and a touch of lilac, but it disappears in 30 minutes if I'm lucky. It has no holding power, which is sad because it's quite dreamy as the name suggests. While it is there, it's very lush and would be a keeper if it didn't pull a vanishing act.

I am iffy on violet - like, I want to like it, but it just doesn't seem to work. This is pretty clearly violet - there's a slight chalkiness to it, or perhaps a duskiness is more accurate, which may be the violet or the tuberose. I am not picking up on what I would describe as lilac, but I also don't interact with lilac a lot.