Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The sticky sweet scent of candy corn!

Imp: Darkly sweet syrup with a hint of spice. It smells a bit boozy and yes, is reminiscent of candy corn..

Wet: Such a warm, sweet, spicy scent. A hint of clove, maybe?

Dry: A spiced brown sugar sort of scent. This actually reminds me of the crumb topping of a dutch apple pie. :P

Overall: This, to me, is in the bengal/chimera family of very sweet spice. Its a perfect fall scent, and I know I'd wear it then if i had more. But more than a scent for wear, I think this would be a phenomenol home scent. If this comes out again, I'll likely by a bottle for my oil burner. Since I've only got one lonely imp right now, I'm going to pass it on and share the love. :D

eta: Its 5-6 hrs later, and at this point, its still a sugary scent wiht spice, but it does smell more like candy corn than it did early on. Best described as a vanilla sugar spice now... Edited by Shollin

This is candy corn, alright! Those things are my biggest weakness when Halloween rolls around and I am thrilled to have them captured into a scent. This is sugary, buttery, sweet, and sticky all rolled into one! This wears well and then fades off into sugar before disappearing.

:P I want to eat my wrist!

When this was fresh it was all candy corn, but now...it's some sort of cinnamon butter sugar cake. My skin tends to not love on the foody stuff, but this stays pretty true and yummy. I need to get in my kitchen and see if I can make cupcakes that taste like this smells...or maybe a spice cake drowned in honey...

And I'm kicking myself for not getting 15 bottles or so, because as a house scent this would kick butt!

In the imp and wet it's very sugary and not much else, but as it dries a hint of spice comes to the forefront, and a bit of tang. For some reason it reminds me more of cotton candy or even some hard candy rather than candy corn -- not that I'm complaining. It's a great foody scent, light and less decadent that more creamy varieties, but lovely nonetheless.

In the bottle: Sweet, buttery and a bit spicy.

Wet on skin: Smooth, sweet and spicy, a hint of nutmeg and cinnamon.

Drydown: Hmm, this develops stronger spices - unsurprising, I amp them - mostly cinnamon and something slightly citrusy, over a creamy vanilla-ish base. There's something slightly effervescent, too.

Overall: A very pleasant, gentle blend. Honestly, it smells very much like Chimera in the vanilla-cinnamon department, but it's less invasive and powerful. A warm, homey scent, maybe not something I'd wear, but it's very pleasant.

First off, I adore the label art on this one. :P

wet - spicy ala gingerbread poppet with the sweetness of candy corn. As it dries the sweetness is still there, but the spices fade a little, there is an underlying note of butter peaking its head in. 30 minutes in - buttery note of doon icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif nothing else. I am so sad because I love the bottle and I had high hopes for the lovely sugary, spicy sweetness that started off.

Both in the bottle and initially on my skin, this really DOES smell just like candy corn. It even briefly has that waxy note you get from candy corn. How does Beth do it?

As it dries, it becomes a little creamier and there's a touch of spice as well. It might be vanilla or honey or caramel, or all three, or none of the above. I'm not sure but it really is delicious. TOT gets a bit sugary in the drydown, but the creaminess lingers. It goes on strong but fades quicky after an hour or two.

I love this scent, it represents all the light-hearted fun of Halloween. I'm hoping it will come back some day.

:P

This scent is num-num-nummy, but it smells a lot like Gingerbread Poppet on me. It doesn't make me think of Brach's Candy Corn at all, and that was what I was pining for....

It's a tasty foody scent, a sweet and spicy treat. I just wish it smelled more like those little niblets of diabetes!

3.5 out of 5

in the bottle: candy corn! full on! weeee! :D

wet on skin: more of the same. i see what people are saying about that boozy note. reminds me of eggnog (the food substance, not the oil) i likes it! :)

dry down: a fabulous sweet spicy note comes out strong. reminds me of every food-spice-halloween candle i ever loved, but this one actually smells *good* on me! huzzah! :P

in all: although just acquired, i can already see i'm gonna have to start scoping out another bottle!

:D

In the bottle: Buttered corn. Not candy corn, real corn.

Wet: Creamed corn. Eek!

Drydown: Butter and sugar, maybe nutmeg and cinnamon? The spicy part smells like a bottle of pumpkin pie spice. Thank *goodness* the real corn scent faded! It doesn't really smell like candy corn on me, but it does smell good. It has a very definite fall feel to it. I don't get any of the booziness that some reviews have mentioned, and that makes me happy as most of the Lab's booze notes don't work well on me. This is foody but not overly so; it doesn't scream "Eat me!" in your face the way something like El Dia de Reyes does. I think it would be wearable even for people who don't tend to like foody scents.

bottle: this smells exactly like egg nog with whipped cream and a dash of nutmeg on top. not a hint of candy corn.

wet: this smells like a cross between sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, egg nog and candy carnds. this is super-sweet yum on my skin.

dry: this ends up smelling like a cinnamony sugar cookie. not exaclty what i was expecting but so yummy i'm delighted just the same.

Trick or Treat doesn't smell like candy corn to me. It smells like toffee, cinnamon cookies, and rum. All together. It's not overwhelming or overpowering or obnoxious, it's just MMMMMMMM.

When I first started trying BPAL perfumes I went through a foodie phase and then I sort of grew out of it because sometimes foodie scents tend to smell like plastic or play-doh on me, and I didn't like that very much. However, there are a few BPAL foodie scents that smell absolutely wonderful on me, and I kept those. Trick or Treat is one of them. It's freaking awesome, and I have 4 bottles of it -- one of my biggest bottle hoards. I love it.

I have to agree with filigree_shadow. This doesn't smell like candy corn to me ---- it does smell of sugar cookies, and sweets and maybe that hint of rum. It does get a bit plasticky after thirty minutes, but after two hours it burns off. I get this nice brown sugar overtone from it.

Very very fun. But if I'm completely honest, a little too sugar coma inducing for me.

I was expecting candy corn goodness with the original reviews.........

However, aged Trick or Treat smells almost exactly like Chimera. It's got a slightly sweeter base, but it's really similar.

- Waking up in the morning edit _

Ok, I take it back about the candy corn, once the chimera cinnamon fades away, theres candy corn. It's really light, but it's there. I realized this as I was falling asleep, and it's still there this morning. 12 hours of lasting candy corn!!

Edited by RaeiNarcissus

'm a bit surprised by the color of the oil, which is pretty dark. I was imagining a light almost clear oil, like Sugar Skull for this.

In the imp: Sweet and syrupy.

On me: Oh wow, there is some sort of spice aspect to this blend, because I am amping it. Also (pleasantly) surprising is that the sweetness is now a bit dry, but I expected that with the description of candy corn. But it's very sweet, a bit spicy...cloying enough where it reminds me of clove, but I'm thinking it's actually more of a cinnamon + sugar mixed together. (Looking upthread and seeing the mentions of Chimera, I get the comparison. It's not completely identical, but it smells like it's Chimera's cousin or something.)

After complete drydown: I can actually sniff some candy corn-ness now, but there's still some spice. You know, a lot of oils do change with a bit of aging, but I haven't had that happen too much with the really foodie ones, so I'm surprised the spices have amped up this much.

I love Halloween. What could go wrong with smelling like candy corn?

It is just that, candy corn on me. I love eating candy corn, so why not smell like it too!!! I bought several bottles before even trying it first. I knew it would be instant love on me.

Great job!!! :kiss:

it smells like sweet candy, not really candy corn though, but I love it. it's got good throw and lasts several hours

I love the scent of candy corn, so I sought after this blend for a while. I managed to get myself 1.5 bottles eventually, and I LOVE it.

However, I don't get much candy corn. Maybe for a second, if heavily applied, and still in the wet stage.

But what do I get? REAL pumpkin pie, with fresh whipped cream on it. Not fakey pumpkin... real delicious pumpkin pie *swoon*

I would love to see this one make a comeback for the 2009 season!

In the bottle - Very sweet, but it seems deeper than candy corn to me. It's hard to explain, but there's more there than pure sugar that I associate with candy corn.

Wet - This somehow got even SWEETER. :D

Drying - That deepness I was talking about I think was vanilla, a rich vanilla. This is so much more grown-up than simple candy corn. It's like a warm bourbon vanilla. Much more lovely than I had expected, which I can't say I'm sad about!

Dry (4 hours) - This dries down to candy corn. EXACTLY like candy corn. There was a stage there where I smelt of playdo, but right now it's pure candy. Faint, but candy.

Overall - This is one of my favorite candy scents, I must say. It actually works with my skin, it's amazing!

Trick or Treat came about shortly after I posted that I'd love Halloween candy scents but wasn't sure I'd want to smell like candy corn. I bought it anyway, of course, and it turned out that I really didn't like smelling like candy corn. It was a bit corny and I swapped it. Four years later, I tracked down a decant and I'm in love. I don't know if it's the aging or that I missed it the first time around, but now I get brown sugary, sugar cookie/snickerdoodley goodness. No corn in sight. I can't wait to get the '09 version.

2005 version

Sniffed: Pale yellow oil. Sweet, rich, foody. Notes of candy and butter, and REAL corn. It doesn't smell like candy corn to me, more like a sweet corn desserty pudding with maple syrup caramelly butter sauce. Almost boozy.

Wet: Spicy - oh hi there clove. I'm reminded of mulling spices and Fall-scented candles generally. Much less sweet, but there is still that REAL FRESH CORN note, that reminds me of the Feast for the Greatly Revered Ones. I almost get a hint of coffee (?) in addition to the maple syrup.

Dry: Spicy sweet corn, maple-y corn syrup, and now, CINNAMON, a little bit Red Hots. Still a bit disgustingly buttery. Something about this reminds me VERY much of Egg Nog Latte, which is why I got that coffee note even though I don't think this actually has coffee in it.

Summary: Spicier and spicier. Cinnamon totally dominating now with clove behind, over a sweet corn and butter base. A little stale smelling overall. Strong throw.

2009 version:

Hrrmmm. When I smelled ToT in the bottle, I wasn't even sure I wanted to try it on my skin. All I could smell was burnt sugar...like really burnt. This made me sad...since BPAL's caramel/burnt sugar note ruins whatever blends it usually touches (like Creepy). I amp caramel apparently.

However! I tried it on anyway. Once dry on me this is sweet smoke. I can still get the burnt sugar vibe if I put my nose close to my wrist, but just waving it around ...smoky sweetness.

I'm gonna let it settle for a week or two and see what happens.

ETA: Wearing this again today and I *LOVE* it! (no, I couldn't wait a week to re-try) It is totally smoky sweetness on me! Kind of like when you burn a marshmallow over a campfire. I need at least one back up of this!! It is Halloween in a bottle!!! :wub2:

Edited by ladyjc

bottle: corn. like sweet corn that's just been sliced off the cob. my bottle of the 2005 version smells just like a snickerdoodle cookie, completely different from this.

wet: this smells far closer to my 2005 bottle, just like a snickerdoodle. the corn scent is all but vanished. shame, it was intriguing.

dry: as this dries there is a bit less in the way of whatever the spiciness is that makes me think of snickerdoodles, perhaps this is closer to a sugar cookie. whatever it is, it smells great, like the scent of someone getting some halloween cookies baked in a kitchen heaped with bowls of sweets.

2009 Version

My first sniff of the bottle smelled sweet but rancid and not even remotely like corn. Another sniff and it was definately foodie, like hot chocolate as my 5 year old cousin said. On dry down, I don't get any candy corn, but I do get a smooth sweet smell with the subtlest hint of something else. I'll have to try this again when it isn't 90 million degrees out.

BTW - I was worried when people said that past year's version smelled like cinnamon since I'm allergic but I haven't gotten the signature cinnamon rash.