Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Malista

Pannychis

An attendant of the Goddess Venus. She presides over nocturnal pleasure, nighttime festivities, and all the joy and delight that can be found in the darkness. In later ages, it became the name of the all-night festival that closed the Eleusinian Mysteries. Night-blooming jasmine, moonflower, cardamom, sandalwood, black currant, ylang ylang, frankincense and lily.

Pannychis goes on with a strange sourness that I'm blaming on frankincense. Now that it's dry I'm getting sandalwood and moonflower and not the jasmine overload I was expecting. It's a little on the department-store perfumey side but it's nice and light.

As a frimp in my first order, I figured I'd try everything before tossing to the swaps pile and this was one that at first sniff was neither here nor there.

In the bottle: Kinda smells like paint thinner but floral. This does not bode well for our little imp.

Wet on skin: OMG Lilly! Get it off get it off get it OFF! I hate lily's and thought that since it was the last note mentioned, it wouldn't be as strong.... Boy was I wrong!

Dry on skin: Still mostly lily with something cooler, but over all smells like hairspray (like filigree_shadow said)

Overall? I had to wash it off, it was giving me a headache. :P

In bottle/imp: A very strong jasmine/moonflower combo with a background of sandalwood and frankincense.

Immediately on skin: Mostly what I get from this is the smoky, cool floral combination of jasmine and moonflower. It’s lightly sweet and there’s definitely something else lingering in the background. Mostly I get sandalwood and light frankincense, but I can sense the ylang ylang and lily adding a smooth feel to this blend.

After a little while: As time goes on, the jasmine comes out in this blend a little more. It doesn’t overpower it, but it is the strongest note in the blend. The moonflower is still blending into it and the currant has also peeked through and blends with the jasmine. The sandalwood and frankincense make a deep, warm base. This is smooth, cool, slightly sweet and smoky, with a bit of warmth in the background. The cardamom wafts gently, adding spiciness to the blend. But the feel of the cardamom is gentle and barely-there.

Overall Impressions: This is a complex scent; there’s a lot going on here. Mostly I get jasmine from this though, and then all the other notes blend into it in their special way. It’s hard to describe really, but I like it. I don’t know if I’d wear this again as jasmine blends just aren’t “me,” but I enjoyed testing it.

In the imp: Dirt and incense. With some sweetness.

Wet: I know I won't be able to sit through this. It's to strong and dirty for me. I have to wash it off.

Overall: There are certain oils that all smell the same to me. Lilac(I love it as a flower, but non as an oil), leather, incense, honeysuckle, etc. I get a headache and have to wash it off. This is one of those oils.

Wet: JASMINE! Holy cow.

Drying: Jasmine and a bit of ylang ylang (which is a note I'm not crazy about). The frankincense is coming out a bit and giving this a slightly incensey feel.

Dry: Really didn't change much.

I think this would be a nice hair scent, but it's a bit much on my skin. It'll have to think about whether or not I'll keep the imp.

oh how I love this :P

it is true but soooooooooooooft ylang ylang

it is gorgeous, also the moonflower is there and makes it very evenish in some way

the frankincense gives it a wearable touch for the winter and the lily makes it feminine

as almost nothing else could do..

it has good throw and makes me feel like a goddess myself!

imp: generic floral.

wet: unfortunately, this is all jasmine and ylang ylang on me.

dry: this dries to ylang ylang and some other undefined floral which always makes me think of department store ladies' rooms.

wet and dry, this is mostly jasmine on me and I love jasmine. in the dry stage I get some frankincense (like it) and ylang ylang (don't like it that much), and I think this ylang ylang and the rest of the flower notes are ruining it for me. not getting any cardamom or sandalwood wich is strange for my skin. it's ok, but not that special jasmine scent, Nyx is the jasmine scent for me. :)

Edited by milica

In the imp: Jasmine and frankincense.

Wet: Jasmine, definitely. And moonflower. The two of them blend really seamlessly. This is a lot lighter than I expected. Mmm... after a minute, a warmth starts to seep up through the center of the scent... it's the cardamom, though it contributes more of a feeling as opposed to a a full-blown note. I get the dry resiny goodness of frankincense, but this is not a dry scent. Nor is it a wet scent. It's very floral, but the cardamom and resins deepen it gorgeously. Ooo, now a thread of black currant flirts with my nose, dark and gleaming and adding just the barest hint of juicy fruit. Wow, this scent is really amazing. It reminds me a lot of Delight, which is another favorite of mine. Slow, sweaty sex where you stare into each others' eyes the whole time. Guh. Hot. As it dries, the currant really blossoms, as does the moonflower. This is amazingly gorgeous.

Dry: Glorious. Black currant and moonflower swirl together. A thread of heady jasmine twines throughout. Cardamom adds a warmth. DELICIOUS.

wow- from the ingredients listed, i think this is either going to be a "love it" or "hate it" because every note is a good one for me, even the black currant- one of the few fruits that doesn't go sour on my skin. but we all know how some scents that seem "perfect" on paper don't work at all.

not this time! this scent is GORGEOUS!!!!! utterly, completely, fantastically beautiful. one of the best florals on the list, i think.

in the imp it smells really good, but in a way seems like it's holding back from it's true potential. and once on skin, i see i'm right. first i get a powerful explosion of the ylang ylang- so good! i love ylang ylang and seldom is it done right. here, it's perfect. as the initial burst starts to fade the night blooming jasmine and the lily make their way forward. these round out much softer and with a smooth almost powdery scent....hmm, not baby powdery, but as if the scent of these flowers has been made itself into a powder. is that a bit of the fruit i detect? oh yum. it's warm and juicy, like it's fresh pluck from a branch in a sun filled orchard. as it wears on the sandalwood and frankincense merge with the smooth powdery floral to create a more incense like blend which is highly fragrant yet not smoky or overpowering.

my only critique on this is that it fades too fast, but it's winter, and dry, so i'll try it again with lotion and as the weather warms up.

i usually like to try a fragrance at least twice before i add it to the big bottle list but this is a winner either way.

Edited by butcherbaby

JASMINE-SPLOSION! In the imp this is WHAM, Jasmine in the face. If you don't like jasmine, stay far far away! This does have a nighttime feel to it. I am looking forward to trying it, though I hope it calms down a bit when it hits my skin.

Damn, this is some STRONG jasmine. I really get almost nothing except the night blooming jasmine.

That's pretty much how it stays the whole time its on my skin. It does fade nicely so that is not so in your face but still has a distinct presence. I like jasmine, but not enough to want a such a straight jasmine blend (I know it isn't really a straight jasmine blend, but that is how it went on my skin!), but if you are a jasmine lover, you must check this blend out!

Imp: Swoon...jasmine, currants, some creamy sandalwood and heady ylang ylang. I'm excited to try it.

Wet: Exotic florals perfectly balanced with an enticing bite of spice from the cardamon ans frankincense. Just an intoxicating sweetness.

Dry: The more delicate florals begin to show moonflower and just a gorgeous lily. The warmth of the sandalwood along with the hint of sharp and the gorgeousness of the jasmine are still very much there too. This is such a winner for me I can just imagine it on a hot steamy summer night.

This blend has something for everyone, but it doesn't quite work well together on my skin. Something is making my skin feel dry and tight (the cardamom?), and it just smells too sweet and powdery at the same time. It makes my nose tickle a bit. I can imagine this blend being lovely on the right person. But not me.

This smelled like lime and that really earwaxxy honey smell that b never to busy too be beautiful shower gel had. I haven't had to wash it off but I don't like it. :ack:

Powdery jasmine overload I'm afraid :( Should have known, but I had to give it a try for the sandalwood's sake.

Hmmm, if there were just a slightly higher cardamom and sandalwood ratio to sweet florals then maybe I could get away with this. Another pretty pretty floral that would stun on the right woman. As it dries down I get hardcore nag champa smoke swirling through the fragrant bouquet. I would adore this on someone else...someone mysterious and powerful but a little more ultra traditionally feminine. This smells like just the right perfume for an attendant of Venus...it evokes imagery of magically empowered fairy queens with chiseled bone structure and impossibly long tresses, riding white horses through misty far off lands. I know this blend has nothing to do with Mists of Avalon, but it resonates with that same kind of quality for me. Dreamy, otherworldly, and ultra-femme.

This was a very bright, white floral on me. It's almost all jasmine and ylang ylang, though lily and moonflower might be in there as well (once a few florals get mixed together, my nose can't distinguish one from the next). This is not at all a "heavy" floral, but something in it is different from the light scents I usually favor. I'll pass.

Gosh...lots of flowers. I'd discovering quickly that any kind of Jasmine just doesn't really like me, and unless it's blended with something sweet it's not something I'm too fond of. It overpowers this blend so much. when it's wet, maybe just a tiny bit of ylang ylang there aswell.

Let's see how it goes from there.............

Dry down is still a Jasminefest! There are some other elements coming into play though but still be ass whooped by the Jasmine. There is a darkness to this from the Frankincense.

And I was really hoping for a more prominent Blackberry vibe...

This scent is not for me!

Pannychis. My first BPAL review!

I am sitting here huffing my wrist while listening to Loreena McKennitt and blissing out.

In the imp: Sharp jasmine with something round and sweet in the background. Not sure if it is the moonflower, ylang ylang or the lily, but something is combining with the currant. It is a wet smell, not powdery floral.

wet and drydonw: It immediately starts to warm up on my skin and the sweetness drops off. It is still all about the jasmine, but the black currant is coming out with a little bit of spice. Yup, getting some of the cardamon.

dry: I completely adore this. The fruit shuffles off to the background and the warm resin comes out. Not sure if that is the sandalwood or the frankincense, but it really seems to ground the jasmine. It settles into a lovely warm floral - mostly jasmine. The other flowers stay in the background with little peeks of the fruit and spice. All these notes seem to be win on my skin. No powder or soap for me!

Off I go to bliss out some more.

This is almost all jasmine and ylang-ylang on me, with maybe a touch of lily. There isn't much throw. Given how much I generally dislike florals, it's not *awful*... but I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be any resin, wood, or spice showing up. Not a keeper for me!

In imp: a generic air freshener smell, like a ylang ylang/jasmine

Wet on skin: same…this doesn’t change too much and doesn’t jump out at me as being too unique, all I get is those two notes, which I amp.

Wet on skin: Jasmine, jasmine, jasmine, with a touch of something savory that my nose reads as pepper-like.

Drydown: Jasmine, jasmine, jasmine, but the peppery note has mellowed and smoothed. It just hangs around in the background, giving some depth and spiciness.

Dry: The jasmine is still dominant, but less agressive. It's a complex jasmine, not really a one-note, and I love jasmine, but it still might be a little much for me.

In the bottle: Sandalwood takes the front with the jasmine. Not sure if I can distinguish any of the other notes.

On me: The sandalwood moves back and the jasmine and lily dominate with a spicy background from the cardamom and frankincense. I'm not sure if I can identify the moon flower, but in general I get a well blended floral scent from this.

1 hour+ later: The floral moves back some and it becomes more spicy and more balanced. Unfortunately, this doesn't have a lot of staying power on me.

Edited by Gaidig

Imp: That's some...aggressive jasmine

Wet: Night blooming jasmine. I don't dislike jasmine, but I need more to really like the scent

Drydown: Blarg. Just jasmine. Don't need it

When this hits the skin it is all sharp nightblooming jasmine tempered by moonflower. My nose doesn't detect the currant but there is a spiciness once the silky ylang ylang and lily join in. The overall depth of the dreamy white florals is very similar to Luna. Dries into beautifully blended florals mellowed out in a gentle layer of frankincense and sandalwood. Fabulously feminine...and exotic. Medium throw. Perfect for a summer evening out.