Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Malista

Pannychis

An attendant of the Goddess Venus. She presides over nocturnal pleasure, nighttime festivities, and all the joy and delight that can be found in the darkness. In later ages, it became the name of the all-night festival that closed the Eleusinian Mysteries. Night-blooming jasmine, moonflower, cardamom, sandalwood, black currant, ylang ylang, frankincense and lily.

The jasmine kind of took over. yup. Before that it was a light, white floral. Too much jasmine now. oh well

I love jasmine. I'm fortunate to be able to wear it and have it come out as a sweet floral rather than soap or anything of the sort. I have Peitho and love it, and when I ordered this, I was hoping for a slightly heavier scent. I especially hoped the sandalwood would come out to play and make it incensey.

I put it on and--99% jasmine. The same thing happened with Peitho. So basically Peitho and Pannychis smell exactly alike on my skin, and both of them smell just like the jasmine essential oil I used to have. This isn't a bad thing, precisely. I was just sort of hoping for a little variety.

A few hours after I put Pannychis on, a slight incensey note surfaces for a few minutes. However, immediately afterward, we're back to the Jasmine Show.

At least I know I won't be running out of "Peithnychis" anytime soon. I mean, seriously, they're enough alike that, whenever I crave jasmine, I'll probably end up using whichever one I manage to fish out of the box first.

ETA: It's a few days after I wrote my review, and I've been wearing Loralei all day, which contains ylang ylang. Now, I hadn't been familiar with decent ylang ylang until very recently, having only tried the rotten drugstore stuff, but after spending a few days with Loralei, I must say that (a) I like ylang ylang, and (:P it's in Pannychis, and I could smell it but couldn't identify it. So, I must revise my opinion that Pannychis is all jasmine. It's about 80% jasmine and 20% ylang ylang. The jasmine still predominates and it's still very similar to Peitho--but any difference I'm smelling has got to be the ylang ylang.

Edited by lady_pandora

Wow, but this was very jasmine. And I like jasmine...but on me, this just went old-lady floral. And far too strong, at that.

preconceived notions: Wow, that's a lot of things in one little perfume oil.

in the imp: Yeah, smells like lots of things. Transcript of my olfactory organ's initial reaction: "Smells like incense. No wait! Smells like a candle shop. No wait! Smells like straight-up jasmine. No wait!"

wet: The floral is shoving its way to the top. Really, really reminds me of this jasmine incense I used to burn in my room when I was 13 that severely annoyed my mom. Which was probably why I burned it. I also smell a bit of spiciness, as in savory-not-sweet foody spiciness.

dry: Very complex. If I had to describe it, I would say a smoky, spicy jasmine-y floral. Has also turned a bit soapy on me.

season: fall and winter.

office-friendly? Yes, I think so. Not too, too heavy.

overall: Again, so complex. The jasmine comes out more on my skin, but has a supporting cast of interesting scents, to create a dark, warm, slightly heavy scent. It'll be nice to have but not in frequent rotation as I'm a more girly bright scent person in general. Fun to try.

Darkly floral with just the tiniest bit of sweetness from the currant. The sandalwood helps keep this from being too floral on my skin. No cardamom unfortunately. I can't say enough how much I love Beth's florals. I've always avoided them in the past, leaning more towards earthy scents but the Lab florals are so lovely and rich and real.

On the skin, wet, I first smell jasmine, ylang ylang and what is like a smooth base. For some reason this reminds me a bit of Sleepy Moon, which is one of my favorite lunars. This is much more floral and almost silky smelling. It’s very smooth. I’ve been coming across a lot of jasmine blends lately and for some reason they always make me think of the Lupercalia series. This is a strong scent, and slathers be warned. I was intrigued by this blend because of the cardamom, black currant and sandalwood in combination with the florals. On, I don’t really get cardamom or black current. It’s strongly floral yet there is just a hint of heat/spice in the background. After a couple hours it’s only faintly on my skin but what is there remains a sweet floral.

In the bottle: A rather tart smell, with jasmine and lily.

Wet: Jasmine and... frankincense, I think.

Drydown: I get lily and jasmine, with tart black currant and wafts of frankincense. There's something a bit bitter and woody in there, too, I think sandalwood. I get a bit of the spice of ylang-ylang and cardamom, too.

Overall: A pleasant blend, mixed between very soft from the lily to smoky from the frankincense. It has a weird foody vibe from the currant, which doesn't really go with the rest, except perhaps if you imagine the scent as the smell of all the offerings to a goddess.

Big fruity, golden jasmine scent. I usually don't prefer my jasmine mixed with much fruit at all, but this one has such an expansive and glittering mood about it that I've broken the rule. It's a warm, happy scent (the spice gives it plenty of sillage, too) and definitely worthy of a full bottle.

In the imp, all I smell is jasmine. :P Wet, it smells like...ew, old-lady perfume smell. Underneath that is the bite of frankincense, which I hatehatehate.

Off to swap.

Pannychis - Foiled again by that dastardly flower, jasmine! The jasmine in this completely eats up all the other scents, with the exception of the black currant. The jasmine is softer on me than most BPAL jasmines, but it doesn't change the fact that it doesn't work on me and that it masks the other scents in the blend. The black currant actually blends well with the jasmine and creates an almost lilac-like scent. If the jasmine weren't so strong, this blend would probably be a pretty, springtime fruity-floral. I definitely see the potential in this for anyone on whom jasmine works better than it does on me. Good throw and good staying power, but due to the way jasmine and I don't get along, I'll be swapping this away.

This is slightly play-doh in the imp, so I'm not feeling too optimistic. My mother says it smells too heavy. I read the notes to her and she says there are too many heavy ones. She blames the lily for the the ick factor. She says lilies smell like death, and Pannychis smells like something died on my arm, so I suppose it's fitting. Wow this hates me.

I just re-discovered this scent! I was looking for things to sell, that I had never used, this was one of them. I didnt remember what it smelled like, so I took a q-tip and wiped the lid, I only got a small amout on my skin & WOW!!!! This has some SERIOUS throw. This is a scent that you would want to wear on a cool spring night. It really is beautiful. In fact, I'm not going to sell it, even though I really need the money! I dont know if its because it was tucked away & aged really well... I keep all my oils in a huge drawer that never sees the light until I open it. What a great discovery & I cant wait to use it to go out, I think it will definately turn some heads.

In the imp: I do smell the jasmine leading, but I can also pick up on the sandalwood and cardamon.

Wet: The sandalwood is very strong at first. The jasmine is also there. The other florals are mixing, but nothing is as strong as those two notes, which are 'favorites' of my skin.

Drydown and wear: This ends up as a light jasmine, nothing as heady as Nyx or New Orleans. It is a very light scent overall. It's quite pretty and youthful. I'm waffling about putting this on my bottle list, but I have noticed myself frequently reaching for the imp.

this blend has many things i love: moonflower, ylang ylang and lily.

a few things i hate: Night-blooming jasmine

and a few things i'm meh about: cardamom, sandalwood, black currant, frankincense

and what one note does my skin pick out and amp up: Jasmine.

First sniff: Jasmania!

Wearing: Jasmine jasmine jasmine. Sweet and white and just too much.

Well, here's a celebrity death-match of a scent--will my love of moonflower and cardamom beat out the evil jasmine and lily? Answer: sort of. Moonflower is just so gorgeous, and it does reign in the jasmine here, for an effect similar to Luna. Pannychis is a really strong blend, and I like the incense and spice underpinning the flowers. But I have Luna, which not only smells good but is one of my favorite ritual blends, so I don't really need this one. If you're out of Luna and just want it for the scent, not the magick, I recommend Pannychis.

OMG Laurel - you are dead right with the Celeb Deathmatch!

Wet - I can smell everything at once here. It was difficult for my nose to stay focused each individual note.

Dry - Although this is quite complex and quite floral, on the drydown this softened up on me and something warm (the cardemom I'm sure) popped up.

I wouldn't consider this daily, but I think I will keep it around and try it again.

This one is sort of a masculine type jasmine scent, if that makes any sense. The floral note is definitely there, but the sandalwood and frankincense dominate the undertones, so it's really more of an earthy blend to me. This isn't really my type of scent, as jasmine never lasts on me, but the boy hijacked this imp immediately and it smells quite nice on him. :P

i got this as a frimp from someone, and initially would've avoided it because of the frankincense and jasmine, which usually turn bad on me, but in here they're pretty ok. i definitely smell the moonflower and blackcurrant and maybe the sandalwood, as this has a slight woody quality to it. prettier than i thought it would be with my skin chemistry, but this is still a bit too sweet of a floral for me.

Mmm... wonderful with the moonflower note, as always. After the initial drydown, a heavier sandalwood and frankincense come out to ruin things. >_< This morphs into an insanely woodsy/resinous note on me (damn my skin chemistry amping up frankincense and woods!) and starts to give me a headache. :P

This was an imp I got in the middle of my jasmine phase that pretty well cured me of it.

Pretty, but not me. The person I swapped it to was very happy, though she normally isn't a jasmine fan.

In the bottle - Predominantly jasmine and a little fruit

Wet on me - Sharp soapy florals

Dry on me - Soft powdery florals

Overal - Nice enough, but a million miles from being something I would actually wear

This is a very warm floral. I get predominantly notes of jasmine and lily. I can't smell the frankincense or sandalwood but it's there, grounding all the florals (or else, this would have been an overwhelming flower explosion)

This was just so lovely, and so complex. I ordered so many imps that I forgot what had what in it and I'm glad I did. So I'm not reading what is in it and just using my nose to decide.Because sometimes my mind's like or dislike for something can color my opinion.

This was so close to my favorite "White Nile" which is an oil blend I can't seem to figure out what is in it.

When my boyfriend came home he said "mmm you smell good", which sealed the deal. He has not given a thumbs up to everything I have put on, and I'm such a lover of scents I love almost all of them, but want to narrow down what full bottles I will be buying and wearing all the time.