Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Malista

Pannychis

An attendant of the Goddess Venus. She presides over nocturnal pleasure, nighttime festivities, and all the joy and delight that can be found in the darkness. In later ages, it became the name of the all-night festival that closed the Eleusinian Mysteries. Night-blooming jasmine, moonflower, cardamom, sandalwood, black currant, ylang ylang, frankincense and lily.

This is a beautiful floral in the imp. It smelled lovely when first applied. Minutes later it turned into cheap, discount bin, drugstore candle. The culprit: night blooming jasmine. AND it made my wrists itch.

Jasmine in all it's overpowering glory on my skin. It's no secret that I don't dig jasmine, so if you LIKE or even TOLERATE jasmine, take my review with a great big grain of salt. Jasmine is very overwhelming in this blend (like with most others) and it's followed by the airy and slightly sweet moonflower, which at least elevates the jasmine's headiness a bit. Then, there is the cardamom, coming in and spicing this up a bit and thoughI usually LOVE spices and they certainly make me enjoy florals more, for some reason the cardamom just clashes with the jasmine to my nose. It seems.... hectic, for lack of a better word. I don't like how these two jive together quite frankly.

As to be expected, the jasmine is very powerful and totally not my thing.

I don't have a very sophisticated nose when it comes to florals, as I typically avoid them. This was a frimp from the lab, and not something that I would have chosen myself, but I gave it a shot anyhow.

As far as I can tell, there's not much morph to this one. It goes on as a sharp white floral, warms up a tiny bit after a few minutes (the cardamom?) and then slowly fades back into the same generic floral scent. I find that florals with sandalwood in them typically smell like expensive handsoap to me, and this is no exception, though I have trouble telling whether it's the florals or the sandalwood that does it- the sandalwood note is definitely quite strong throughout, though, and is what lasts the longest on my skin.

How is it remotely possible that I like this? :blink: I pulled it out of my "Frimps I Don't Expect to Like But Will Force Myself to Try" pile and put it on without re-checking the notes. I immediately thought "Lilac and citrus" and was shocked to see that those notes have nothing to do with the listed description of Pannychis.

Sandalwood, blackcurrant and lily are always monstrous failures on me, so I have no idea how they're not ruining this particular blend. And here's the weird part-- I hate lilac notes too (smells like diaper) but love the actual flower. Pannychis smells exactly like a real white lilac bush (sans diaper), with some creamy citrus (maybe grapefruit) and a dash of lavender. I have no idea how this is happening, but it's kind of fantastic.

Ugh. This is JASMINE in your face. I can't smell any of the other notes beyond the cat pee smell on my skin. Off to wash my hands and throw this one into the frimp pile. Maybe someone else will have better success with it.

In the imp, this is jasmine, and a bunch of other florals, with something else lurking underneath. We'll see what this does. On my skin, this is a pretty generic floral, with the sandalwood supporting it. We'll see if the frankincense or the black currant comes out at all. Nope, Floral McGeneric Floral all the way.

Edited by Venneh

In Bottle - Astringent white floral, straight out of the imp. I'm not huge on florals, well, white/paper/clean ones at least--so my expectations are pretty low.

Wet on Skin, First Applied -Pure ylang-ylang, no chasers. Ylang-ylang has proven to be a pretty amped note with my chemistry, so it's not surprising that it's the first thing that jumps out in this blend.

Dry, on Skin - Jasmine enters the mix, and splits almost 50/50 with the ylang-ylang. I like jasmine, and ylang-ylang isn't bad, but this doesn't much do it for me. Completely inoffensive, light throw, clean, not cloying, and slightly warm floral. If I knew someone who loved this style of fragrance, I'd suggest this for them. It's also one of the BPALs that I can most easily 'smell' being in a department store, or some more mainstream fragrance house--which isn't at all a bad thing, lots of perfumes that are widely available DO smell pretty good! Very pleasant, but unfortunately on me, it just sits as a pretty, delicate floral. Not my first choice, but not at all a bad scent. Would probably be better for a more professional environment than my usual choices, haha.

Hmm.. seems the lab likes to frimp this one. I received one too!

Not bad. Another jasmine mix and slightly too jumbled for me to discern fully. I can smell currant and cardamom. Slight lily too. Not bad and sweetens on me after a while. I'll have to see but maybe a swapper.

Update 3.26: apparently I blew my nose out the day I made the above review. I tried Pannychis again and loved it so much I'm now the proud owner of a bottle! hahaha

Edited by SophieCedar

This is a very pretty floral. I'm new to all this and not very good at picking out specific notes, but its a lovely scent. It smells like stepping outside of a hot, stale party in the early hours of the morning when the sky is just beginning to lighten and taking a breath of the cool night air in the garden. Walking through in a slinky black dress, running your fingers over the dewy petals... flowery, heady and elegant.

Ill be holding on to this imp, but florals aren't really my cup of tea and i'd hardly use the word elegant when describing myself so no full bottle. Its gorgeous, but its not me :)

I really wanted to like this since there's sandalwood, frankincense and moonflower in it. But all I get is nasty jasmine hair oil. :( I had to rush to the bathroom to wash it off. Even after washing, the smell lingered and a few minutes later, I could catch the whiff of blackcurrant and frankincense. But it wasn't mind-blowing or anything. I just can't look past the jasmine note, it stays on my skin for way too long. And here I was thinking that night-blooming jasmine would never let me down.

Edited by symphonyinsilence

:::PANNYCHIS:::

There is something familiar, but not quite identifiable without benefit of the Lab's notes.

Pannychis is a really lovely boquet. What sets Pannychis apart, though, is the... texture of the fragrance; there is a note in Pannychis that almost gives it a ... crunch.

There is something tart, juicy, and to the teeth in this. While it is similar in effect to an Apple, Pear, or Cucumber, none of these seem to be specifically suspect.

This gets tempered by what are very nearly phonic florals. The best guess here would be Daffodil or Narcissus... Perhaps some Jasmine. Maybe some Gardenia.

The pucker in Pannychis might come from Citrus, Bergamot, Ginger, Verbena, or something in that vein...A very refreshing Rite of Spring. Lovely on her.

4/5.

Pannychis

I had a really bad reaction to this. It reminded me of the sickly-sweet smell of a port-o-potty and makes me nauseous. Had to scrub but it's still there. :sick:

Swaps. GET IT AWAY :ack:

Much later Edit: It appears that the culprit in this is jasmine and, apparently, indole, which is found in it. Very interesting. o_O

Edited by sunlitgarden

Overwhelming floral, not really my thing. The jasmine note is dominant and unless I sniff up close, I don't really get any of the other notes.

I'll be passing this imp along.

This was actually really nice in the imp – the jasmine wasn't overpowering, and I could get whiffs of (most obviously) frankincense, a sweetness that I assume to be the black currant, and other notes I can't quite place yet. Dry it was soap. Really generic soap. I'ma keep the imp, cos I don't hate it, but it's nothing special, either.

On the skin: Mostly getting a floral note which I assume is the jasmine. Wow, this is strong!

Not bad at all, but not something I would wear normally...

I had high hopes for this. Wet, it smelled like intense jasmine, ylang ylang, moonflower. A rich, beautiful floral. I was happy. And then it dried. And I smelled like berries. Just berries. I have no interest in smelling like berries.

I don't get any sandalwood or blackcurrant from this. Only jasmine and musty cardamom. OK...when it's dry I smell berries, but it's nor worth the intense jasmine while it's wet.

I was a little nervous about this one at first, because I tend to lean towards cool, clean scents like Egle, Jabberwocky and Embalming Fluid or lighter florals. The warmer scents - for me, ones with incense-y and resinous notes - don't do well with my sinuses even though I like the way they smell. Pannychis surprised me. I really love it.

My first impression was "whoa, jasmine!" I like jasmine, so not a big deal. The florals were very pretty. And then the woody/incense-y sandalwood and frankincense came in, but not so much that my sinuses rebelled. The combination is magical. And every so often I get the fruity tang of black currant (which is actually one of my favorite flavors in tea).

I really love this scent, and my BF loves it - I could tell because he didn't say something smartass like, "It's reminiscent of Milton Berle's dirty socks," which is something that he would say if he liked it but wasn't wowed by it. He really liked this one.

I like it so much I think I will be getting a bottle next time I'm able to order some. :wub2:

I was hoping I'd really get the sandalwood and frankincense out of this, but I can't smell anything but the florals. I get mostly the lily and jasmine out of this blend. It's a shame as it smells nice, but pure florals just don't suit my personality, and it's starting to give me a small ache in the back of my nose. Oh well, I'll try to find someone it gets along with much better.

It keeps morphing between hideous, desperately floral stench, and lovely, centered jasmine seductive scent. And then it finally dries down, and it's quite accomplished and lovely.

This wasn't as bad as some jasmines on me, though it is night-blooming jasmine which isn't technically jasmine. The currant comes out on the drydown so it is less florally, but overall, it's just not for me so I gave it to my mom who likes jasmine, any jasmine.

In bottle: A complex bouquet of flowers. The ylang ylang seems to be dominating, with a slight spiciness from the cardamom and/or frankincense, and something bitter - not sure what that note is.

Wet: Yummm, there’s that jasmine! I’m a huge jasmine fan, and at first this seems to be all jasmine.

Dry: Still pretty much pure jasmine. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to linger long; I can barely pick up any scent after an hour or two.