Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Malista

Pannychis

An attendant of the Goddess Venus. She presides over nocturnal pleasure, nighttime festivities, and all the joy and delight that can be found in the darkness. In later ages, it became the name of the all-night festival that closed the Eleusinian Mysteries. Night-blooming jasmine, moonflower, cardamom, sandalwood, black currant, ylang ylang, frankincense and lily.

This has the GOOD jasmine (night-blooming). It’s not as cloying or overwhelming as regular jasmine to me. The beginning stage is a soft and sexy floral, but then the ylang-ylang makes it go all generic powder on me.

Frimp from the lab. A bit perfumey and floral at first, but it quickly settles into this yummy dry white wine musk smell on me. It smells floral when sniffed closely, but the throw is all the yummy white wine musk. I like.

I have a love-hate relationship with jasmine and ylang-ylang. Sometimes they love me and smell spicy and sexy. Sometimes they hate me, and smell like old lady soap. Sadly, in Pannychis, they are both really pissed off at me, and they are ganging up to make me sneeze and sneeze.

I do like the black currant, though. The flowers are so strong on my skin that I can’t really detect any other notes. But the currant stands its ground and provides an excellent, dark sweetness. It adds depth, and because of that, I think this would be a really lovely floral on those whom jasmine and ylang-ylang are better friends with.

Bottle: smells a bit like Sand and Sable was my first thought when opening the imp. My grandmother always wore that and to me its a really good smell (I realize smelling like one's grandmother is not always desirable but I find it comforting I guess).

On me: still smells like Sand and Sable, yay! It really reminds me of Grandma. I can certainly tell its floral, but not overpoweringly sweet and the sandalwood is a nice harmony.

After work: about eight hours and its still very there are the skin. Not much beyond just next to skin but that’s still a nice amount of staying power for me. Woodsy floral, apparently the sandalwood really likes me.

Verdict: my imp is getting a new home just so I can addict a friend but I'm thinking I could use a wee bottle for myself in the future.

On the wand, it’s all jasmine, with that heavy, cloying weight that jasmine oil has in the bottle. As soon as it reaches my wrist, it manifests into a dark, sultry bouquet with the jasmine dominant and the ylang ylang underneath. Sadly, there’s a note in here that seems off-kilter... something slightly chemical in the blend. I would accuse Pannychis of having violets, based on the way my skin typically reacts to violets, except for the part where it doesn’t.

This is a full, lush scent that smells like hot summer nights with broken air conditioning. It doesn’t smell sexy -- instead, it smells like lying around exhausted after sex when it’s really too hot and humid to have had any in the first place, but there was sex anyway, and now it’s almost too sticky to breathe. I am less than enthralled.

After more time passes, the fullness fades into something cooler, like the moment when a summer night breeze ghosts through the open window of that room and carries scents of blooming things from outside. Finally, Pannychis strikes me as lovely. It’s a dark, sleek loveliness, not so strong as to be fully beautiful, and with something distinctly coy about it.

Later, Pannychis thins out into a veil of sweat-scent. It’s not hot and sweaty now, but just... sweaty, with the barest hint of floralness. (I should note that this is definitely not a case of me smelling me instead of Pannychis-- it’s distinctly chilly in the room where I’m sitting at the moment.) It’s conceivable that the sweat-scent will strike someone else as desirable; it reminds me a bit of the skin-musk smell in Brides of Dracula that other people have applauded on me. Still, I’m not sure it’s worth the effort, since I’m not appreciating it on myself.

While there’s an aesthetic that can be evoked with patience, I don’t think I’m likely to have patience with Pannychis in view of all the other lovely jasmine scents produced by the Lab. (And this was a jasmine scent throughout -- I could pick out almost nothing else, even when it went all sweaty at the end.)

In the imp: Wet floral. Maybe a hint of frankincense.

Wet: That is some strong jasmine right there.

Drydown: LOL IM ON UR SKIN SMELLIN LYKE JAZMINZ

Wait! What am I doing, quoting lolcats in a serious-minded review of a complex scent blended with such care by Beth and the Lab staff? No, obviously what I meant to quote was the lolrus:

I HAS A FRANK N CENTS

NOOOO THEY BE STEALIN MAH FRANK N CENTS

Seriously, I do get this tiny waft of black currant also, but other than that, we're living on Jasmine Street here. Next!

iiiiiit's jasmine.

I was expecting a lot more complexity, I guess, but this is just straight-up jasmine; I'm not even one of those what hates it, I just get very bored by it. Ah well!

In the imp: sexy, slightly soapy jasmine; tart blackcurrant.

Wet on me: Black currant, cardamom and jasmine are the strongest notes on me, along with a smooth white floral that I think might be moonflower. Ylang ylang, jasmine, and lily all together are coming on a teensy bit too strong so far, and are a little soapy.

After five minutes: Wow, wonderful smooth sandalwood and black currant! Those two are a wonderful combination; we'll see if the sandalwood turns funny on me. The flowers are getting slowly subsumed by the berry-scent of black currant and now instead of dominating they just add sweetness to the tart, silky sandalwood-black currant combo.

Drydown: Thus far, the black currant and the flowers are awesome together. Ylang-ylang is a bit powdery but it's in the background behind everything else, so that's fine.

Silky, very slightly woodsy berry floral. Nice!

Pannychis

Imp: I get a lot of floral notes on top, especially the ylang ylang.

Wet: I think the ylang ylang and the frankincense are fighting. There are a couple compenents in this one that are shared with Thalassa, so I thought it might work out nicely. We'll see...

Dry: Luckily everything seemed to mellow out a bit, but it still smells a bit to floral for me.

Woo, my first review!

In bottle: Floral warring with an incense (definitely sandalwood) smell. Lingers between sweet and smoky, the sweet being more prominent. The jasmine smells more like my grandmother's lilac to me.

Wet on skin: I can definitely smell a lilac and sweet flower smell, but the sandalwood smell has disappeared and is not present on me at all. The resins are completely absent as well and the smell is just sweet and floral.

Dry on skin: The lilac has faded to a definite jasmine smell and has mellowed quite a bit, perhaps blending with the lily to form a smell that just brings to mind a very light purple color. There are very faint hints of spice and incense in the back of the smell that are almost musky on my skin, but not heavy at all.

Later: The currant begins to pop some more as the florals mellow out a bit, lending it a fruity sweetness that tempers the nectar of the flower. The incense and resin smells begin to blend in to the flower as well. It turns a quite soapy on my skin.

Verdict: This is one I definitely have to apply sparingly as the combination of sandalwood and jasmine can get very heavy and headache-inducing on me, even when I barely touch the dry-ish wand to my skin.

Rating 0-5:

Edited by symbiosis

Jasmine is one of my favorite notes, and although Pannychis is attractive to me, for some reason I am not falling in love.

It smells like jasmine, ylang-ylang, and a hint of sandalwood. It's like, jasmine with a bit of a dried-out feel. Not heady, dewy, humid jasmine like in New Orleans, but like jasmine tea leaves.

As it dries, the sandalwood comes out a little more. It's okay, but I'm not too excited about it. Not sure why.

2.5 out of 5

went on sour, then turned into epoxy. stupid chemistry.

also, cardamom and cilantro have nothing in common, you're thinking of coriander, which is the seed while cilantro is the leaves.

Edited by tehriaz

In Vial: sharp, medicinal, floral

Wet: I smell the florals and something else, frankincense? Something smells like dead herbs.

Drydown: Still true to what it was wet. Florals with something that smells woodsy. It smells like the scent opposite of floral, so it's like a contrast of notes to my nose.

First impression: hmmm...very nice. The florals are just lovely and the cardamom adds such a nice spice. Thankfully, it's not gone foody. It's nicely spicy, and floral. I'm going to have to try this a few more times, but this might just be the spicy floral that I've been looking for.

this one went terribly wrong from first application. i think jasmine and ylang ylang together on my skin don't agree. it becomes very floral and stinky. the cardamom added some spice which reminded me of cinnamon.

sadly i will have to pass this up.

I first notice the jasmine, lily, and ylang ylang. They give off a sweet, sensual, brightness. The sandalwood is gentle and I notice it just under the florals I mentioned. There's a touch of spice and grounding resin in this; just enough to ground out the heady florals a bit. I find this to be very pretty even if it's too floral for my tastes. I think it fits Pannychis perfectly. The blend has a strong throw and long wear length.

Imp: floral - jasmine.

Wet: Getting a lot of jasmine here.

Dry: More fruitiness is coming out, but it's still primarily jasmine, which means it's pretty I guess, but not something I'll wear. Ah well. Worth a try, anyway.

Interesting blend of jasmine and ylang ylang. It's silky and pretty, even though I have a tough time picking out any of the other notes. For some reason the title of the They Might Be Giants song "Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" comes to mind. Something in there reminds me mostly of baby powder.

It's kind of nice and brings out some interesting imagery for me, but nothing I'd wear often.

Frimp from the lab. Not one I would have chosen myself, as it sounds as sweet as it smelled in the bottle, but on my skin it's really pleasant. Reminds me a bit of my grandmother's perfume (the feisty funky Jewish one). My cat also tried to lick this one off my wrist, what the hell is wrong with that cat??

Pannychis-

In Bottle: Jasmine and I are not usually friends; it gives a dirty plastic diaper effect on me, but it's not terribly overwhelming in this, and this smells like a nice floral. I think the lily dominates, and I love lily.

Wet: Very little of the jasmine! Mostly lily. Gentle, very sweet floral.

Dry: A pleasant lily scent with a nice layering of other florals. Sweet, pretty.

Overall: A nice floral!

Teeth-clenchingly sweet and stinging jasmine. With a vague hair-spray-like aura.

Zero moonflower, sandalwood, black currant, or cardamom.

Now, if it had smelled like that combination, I bet I would have liked it. But oh no, not on my skin. On me, it's just jasmine. :P

In the imp: I detect the frankincense and moonflower more than anything.

Wet: Immediately I get jasmine and ylang ylang. I am one of those rare folks who CAN wear these notes! I am so happy this is working so far. (oops, accidentally got too much on me... one of my cats won't come near me!)

Semi-wet: eew. what am I getting? I'll wait and see.

Dry: Ok I hate to admit it - this is a first for me.

It's too jasminey.

sad. :P

I wish the moonflower and frankincense would come back!