Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gothabillywench

Desire

The overwhelming agony of passion crystallized into a singularly dark and magnetic blend: bittersweet neroli, black patchouli and black musk, gilded by apple, bergamot, blood red rose, teak, and vanilla.

There's something in here that makes me think of cheap, heavy perfumes. Is it the mixture of black musk and rose, perhaps? I'm not sure. I'm not by any means saying this is a cheap scent, there are just those associations in place already in my wacky brain. It makes this scent smell very cloying to me.

The instinct was to wash it off immediately, but I resisted and gave it a while to settle down. It did calm itself somewhat, and I can smell the vanilla and maybe the slightest hint of teak and patchouli. But that initial heaviness still overlays it all. This one is not for me. :/

Definitely a feminine blend to me.
Edited by MamaMoth

Eep. I ordered this imp last Christmas when I was trying out all the apple scents. Somehow it made it through the first round of testing and landed in my imp box. I pulled it out randomly to wear the other day and ugh. Too much rose. I wanted to love it for all the great notes it has (apple, patchouli, musk, bergamot, teak, vanilla). From those notes alone it sounds like a beautiful dream, but the rose just kills them all.

Vial: What an odd mixture. The dominating note is rose, with something creamy, something woody and something deep (musky?). And for once, the rose doesn't seem soapy. It reminds me a little of Pothon Meter, although that was a more peppery rose.

On: At first, the rose amps a bit, as it usually does on me. Nevertheless, it never starts going into soap territory.

Everything else that's going on in this blend reins it in. As it dries, the rose calms down again and mingles with the other scents. The results are tangy, deep and quite seductive.

Later: I've been wearing this all day today, and it lasts forever, has good throw without being unbearable for others and smells quite interesting. I got this as a frimp, and I'm very happy I did, as I probably wouldn't have ordered it. Right now, I think the imp is enough, but as I wear it more often, it might make the bottle list yet.

This is a very bitter, hippy-ish scent on me; a bad combination of black musk and patchouli. Very head-shop, which just doesn't work for me.

Huh. Well this is strange. I don't think I smell any of the listed notes because they're combining into one big ball of yuck.

It smells like soapy (well ok, that *could* be the rose) pina coladas. Very different mix and kind of powdery. Blech.

This was a frimp from the lab. Upon initial application, all I smelled was orange- huh? Then I realized it was the neroli. It quickly dried down into a dark scent that was somewhat citrus/floral. It's ok, but not something that I would wear often.

In the imp: Fruity roses.

Wet: Rosey fruit!

Dry: ROSE. A touch of fruity-ness and wood.

A while later: Vanilla and rose, with a slightly fruity tinge. I think the wood is grounding it, but I can barely smell that. Overall... quite sophisticated, but very nice.

I should love this, but it just doesn't work. First, it burned when I applied it. In looking at the notes, there's nothing that red flags me--maybe it's the neroli but I just don't think so. Then, all I get is black musk baby powder, so I think that's the rose coming out. No vanilla, no teak, not patchouli. Sadness!

in the imp: very faint patcouli and spicey apples

wet on skin: this is a very light scent while wet. I am getting faint notes of crisp apple and rose, and some herbal scents, namely the patchouli. the apple is the dominating note on me.

dry on skin: the rose is a lot stronger now. all i'm mostly getting is roses and herbs... the beautiful apple note has faded to the background. :(

When I open the imp I smell a whiff of patchouli, but on skin it's a bright and fruity scent with no hint of earthiness -- at first. Apple and rose are strongest, with just a suggestion dry woods. As it dries, the scent slowly fills out and becomes rounder and better balanced. The vanilla emerges and something strikes me as being slightly resinous. I wonder if that's the effect of the neroli, here. I still don't smell patchouli, per se.

Little by little, there's something almost smoky about it, and way in the background, I can smell the black musk. I'm sure that the vague smokiness comes from the black patchouli. Normally, black musk has a strong, masculine, oily quality to my nose, but here it's quite subtle and blends beautifully with the other notes.

Given how many notes there are in this that I'm not so fond of -- apple, black musk, patchouli, etc -- I'm surprised at how nice I think this is. This scent really is greater than the sum of its parts. It's not as earthy or as musky as you might expect it to be. It's a really rich and well-rounded scent, even on my skin (and I tend to amp patchouli and black musk).

In a sentence I might call this "Rich, gently woodsy apple floral with a creamy center."

This was an imp, and not a choice. For me it's a powdery floral, with the emphasis on powdery. It's so not me, though I would say it's somewhat pleasant. But to name it desire??? If this is desire I'd hate to see.."indifference."

There was a moment of hope when vanilla seemed to peek in, but it quickly took flight. I could imagine this one on someone's maiden auntie. :violin:

Edited by Gael

Wet: It smells... nutty. :huh: A nutty vanilla praline, brightened with a creamy lemony glaze. Not a sharp lemon, a candied lemon with undertones of fruit. After a few minutes, the lemon (bergamot, actually, I see!) softens up even more and the fruity touch is clearly a soft brush of apple. There's a woody base here, rendered all creamy, and honestly, this smells pretty damn good. There's a bit of womanly neroli around the edges, reminding me of that subtle floral aspect of Vixen.

Dry: Smells much the same, but with added depth. The wood is entwined with patchouli, there's a strong vanilla tone to everything, and the apple, rose, and neroli add distinctively feminine tones. This is one of the "perfumey" BPALs, with a complex interplay of notes from different families. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be with my skin chemistry, because after another half hour, my death notes have decided it's time to stop playing nice. Black musk does it's cloying baby powder thing, vanilla turns up the dial to sweet terror, rose starts sharpening its teeth, and the apple goes overripe. It turns generic and terrible all at once.

Overall: Could be really nice on somebody with the right skin chemistry, but it ultimately fails on me. It also never once made me think of the concept of "desire", haha.

Edited by findaghost

Apple pencils.

This was the thought that ran through my head after applying Desire and continuing to re-sniff every 15-30 minutes. I never got any rose, vanilla, patchouli, or anything else. First all I could smell was something woody (this would be Mr. Teak) and later on, hints of apple if I inhaled *really* deeply.

So, yeah. Apple pencils. Not the sex-in-a-bottle I was hoping for. It's not bad, it's just...not sexy.

Imp: Very fruity. I love it in the imp and was excited to try it.

Wet: Baby powder, this is pure baby powder on me.

Dry: Still baby powder and a strong baby powder at that. I so wanted to love this, but I just don't think it's for me.

I am beginning to realize that teak is a note I just don't care for. I think it's what makes Snake Oil not quite perfect in my eyes. This is an interesting blend, it smells fruity yet dark, mixed with something sour. I don't at all associate a smell like this with desire, but that's beside the point. As it dries, the teak begins to come out even more, which is not pleasant. It's beginning to smell more and more like motor oil -that's always what teak smells like to me. Wow, finally something that drowns out even rose on my skin. Impressive. I can't detect any vanilla or patchouli at all at first. Overall it's really rather unpleasant and sour on my skin. Like Snake Oil gone bad. As it dries more, I can almost smell the vanilla, but it's lost in a sea of teak. I'm not smelling any other notes. Nothing about this scent evoked desire in me. At all.

Edited by talula_fairie

This is predominantly rose on me, from wet to dry. Rose loves me and overpowers everything else, pretty much. After about an hour, things calm down, and it is quite soft and pretty. Still rose, but at least it doesn't go powdery and sour. I really can't bear the hour it takes to get there, though. Off to swaps.

Soft apple and musk in bottle. Once applied the patchouli and neroli immediately make themselves known. The teak and vanilla swiftly move in to soften this assault, though they are more powdery then usual. The hints of bergamont and rose emerge once the battle is over and I get just a trace of apple. Hmm this gets more and more “powdery” though that is more an impression from the soft clean scent that this turns into then an actual note turning powery. I wonder if that is the bergamont doing that…the combination of clean slight sweetness and the rose is...kinda cloying actually. While I can see this working fantastically for some folks, sadly this is not for me.

Wet and as it dries, Desire smells like opening a shipment of BPAL! I guess it would depend on what kind you usually order, but it smells like my shipments anyway. After it dries, it becomes a nice powdery-sweetish honey. Pretty, but there are so many other awesome BPALs out there that I'll only be needing the one imp.

Wet: all ingredients are present. The rose turns it a little powdery right off. I thought it was a honey note and a floral at 1st. I've never experienced neroli as a 1st note. Here, it's grabbed up and muzzled by the black musk, rose, apple, and vanilla. The patchouli is in there but distorted.

Drydown: sweet powdery vanilla and black musk with a touch of teak and apple. Smells like loves baby soft..? Uhmm.

I thought I would like this from the description. but it is too sweet, and I like sweet. But this was a candy kind of sweet, I think it is the apple that I am not liking. I like all the black scents, but there is something so sweet, spoiled kinda sweet that doesn't work with me. But if you like a rich sweet, cloying scent, you should try this.

Creamy vanilla at first, but then it dries down to a heavy, spicy and sweet, floral mix. It's hard to distinguish any particular scent because it's SO heavy.

It's not overpowering, but it's different. Not sure if it's a favorite, though.

Appley-rose. Very much a rose blend, this is. A bit musky; and the black musk, which doesn't normally work on me, is very good and works to keep the rose in check; making it play nice with the other notes. A bit of a lemon tinge to the musk; a bit powdery because of that as well. It's very nice and a bit sweet.

This starts out as a sweet, heady floral on me. It does feel a bit "on edge" until the floral sharpness goes away, but I guess that's evocative of "desire" :) It then dries down to a pretty vanilla scent, think Snake Oil but instead of the hint of spice you get a hint of flowers. Very pretty.

On me Desire is quite dark, heavy and unfortunately a little funky. :( At first there's nothing but patchouli and rose, then as it dries down it...remains patchouli and rose, with a very tiny thread of vanilla. No bergamot, no apple, no teak. I'm reminded of a grand dame in heavy perfumes sitting next to her rebellious hippy daughter--not the scent for me.