Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gothabillywench

Desire

The overwhelming agony of passion crystallized into a singularly dark and magnetic blend: bittersweet neroli, black patchouli and black musk, gilded by apple, bergamot, blood red rose, teak, and vanilla.

I had sniffed this one, thought it wasn't too special, and put it up for swaps. It sat in my imp box, and I could hear her crying...

I have taken her out to find that I need her, I love her, and will not let her go...

She is Eve,bemused, blamed...but more her own woman, with passions, DESIRE.

Love it. Edited by lookingglass

My skin hates me! :P

I put this on, and could smell all the wonderful fruit and floral and vanilla for ten minutes.

Then patchouli and musk muscled their way in, tag teamed me, knocked me down and beat me up until I had no choice but to concede defeat to their unholy alliance, and wash it off.

And twenty minutes after washing it off, I can still smell the evil duo! :D

Edited by Fleurdelys

Almost smells like the warmth from a fire, which is very weird, but it does smell like clean hot clothes scented with flowers. It’s not my thing because I don’t like florals with ‘earthy’ green smells like patchouli. I can’t smell anything foody in there at all, for me it’s all about the rose and the patchouli.

However, after I had put it on my nan came into the room and totally fell in love with the imp. So now she has it and she’s off to Morocco tomorrow to catch herself a man! I’ll let you know if it works!

(EDIT: She came back and told me she didn't land a guy, but she did get mugged. Erk...)

Edited by Belease

In the imp, I smelled dark patchouli and musk, with some kind of citrus note.

When i applied it to my skin, it started going all over the map.

A dark, sweeeeet, resinous, spicy, rich, deep floral, with bright fruitiness at the forefront. [that must be the apple i can smell.]

Desire dried down to a dry, powderey incense vanilla-floral, with a light, airy note floating over the top.

Hours later, the scents that remain are the vanilla and fruities, with a bit of powder.

luciously sweet and vanilla scented blend..... :P

this has a similarity to van van on me........after time,

this becomes a bit more complex.....a touch of the patchouli

and some fruity goodness....quite beautiful, indeed....

i will wear this imp in good health and perhaps when

i am done, i will know if i *need* a big bottle of this ....

I got this as frimp from a fellow BPALer! Thanks! :P

In the Bottle: powdery floral

Wet: powdery floral

Dry down: Yuck, baby powder. This smells the way ambergris smells on me. But that isn't one of the ingredients! Where is the musk, where is the patchouli? I don't even smell neroli. This is weird. It doesn't smell like any of the ingredients. Maybe it is an older bottle? YUCK, YUCK, YUCK! I hate smelling like a baby's new diaper, or a little girl, or an old woman. This one keeps morphing the powder between these three. I don't feel desire, I feel nausea. Wouldn't you know the one that I can't stand has great throw, and last forever. Blech. I washed it off, and wouldn't you know, it doesn't want to go. :D Can you tell this is not for me? :D This one goes to the swaps pile for a new home that will love her.

rating 1-5, this is a 1 for me.

Mmm, Desire. To me this is a warm dark red scent even though in the imp it's a beautiful orange. I wish I could smell the apple more, but the other notes work together very nicely... it's bittersweet/spicy. A dark room, with a small table on which sits a single lit candle and a dark red rose, silky sheets on a bed and soft pillows...

In the bottle this seemed WAY too floral with a powdery undertone that I wasn't keen on.

However, once on my skin it transformed into the most delicate floral scent with gentle notes of fruit and a fresh undertone.

My nose isn't good enough to pick out the individual scents but I can say this is a romantic, soft, almost caressing scent; the perfect embodiment of gentle desire.

It's a keeper. :P

When I put this on, some kind of bitter metallic note almost knocked me backwards. Dried down, it's still way too strong, aggressive and in-your-face for my taste - the musk and patchouli have combined into a deadly duo. Normally, I like musk but this is a dark (read: strong) musk, and patchouli and I do NOT get along in any case.

Those who like a thick, earthy scent will probably love this, though.

at first: neroli, patchouli, some wood, and a bit of apple.

on: mostly apple and musk.

1 hour later: sweet and slightly fruity.

2 hours later: definitely applie and some bergamot, but a touch sweeter.

3 hours later: something woody and some neroli.

overall: this scent is interesting, but the neroli and bergamot ruin it for me.

On first application, this is strong patchouli and sweet vanilla. After a moment, I get a wave of bitter citrus and musk. This is a fascinating blend, because each time I sniff it, it's a little different--sweet, musky, and bitter by turns.

After a while, however, the vanilla fades to the background, and the rose blooms. This isn't at all like Snake Oil on me--it's muskier, for one, and there's an overall veil over it that makes it feel a little more antique. It's sophisticated and provocative at once.

Desire ITB: patchouli and fruit.

On: warm and rich, something honey sweet.

Dry: sandalwood incense. I'm guessing that's the patchouli and teak going wonky on me. Apple, bergamot and vanilla I would have loved, but never got, alas.

I ordered this as a imp from the lab. I was hoping to find something a little different than what I usually wear. Sadly, this went all rose, all the time on me.

In the Imp - Patchouli, vanilla, and rose

On Skin Wet - Patchouli, rose - starting to get soap, like an undertone of safeguard soap

On Skin Dry - Rose soap, BAH!

Off to the swap pile with you!

Oddly enough, I get zero citrus or apple from Desire, even in the vial. On my skin, it's mainly wood and vanilla, maybe a little rose, patchouli and musk. This surprised me, as rose usually dominates any blend that has it. It sort of reminds me of Formula 54, just without the very dominant rose. Delicious.

In the vial- Very strong. Generic magazine strip perfume smell.

On me- The black patchouli and musk come out right away.

20 mins later?- powder. Darn it!

2 hours later?- this one definitely has lasting power. The powder smells is still there, but there's some overwhelming rose coming out. So much so that I'm getting a headache. Time to wash it off. Sadly, this one's for the swap pile.

Summed up: Desperate sweetness underscored with bitterness. Yep, liquid Desire...

Opening the Imp: Sweet. A waft of apple comes out.

Wet on Skin: Floral and sweet... very sweet. Oooh, but with a definite undercurrent of something sharp/woody/bitter. I'm thinking it's the patchouli and/or teak perhaps?

Initial Dry: Wow... I am now throwing off major clouds of rose. A miasma of roses around me, but if I sniff my wrist there's still that bitterness underneath, near my skin.

Later (about an hour): Fairly similar to beginning, but more woody/bitter developing, though those notes are still close to skin. From farther away, it's still quite rose-y.

Verdict: Medium to high throw (of the roses, at least). Pretty consistent from start to finish. Lasted until I washed it off hours later. I LOVED experiencing this scent based on its name! Seriously, I'm impressed with this blend. Great as a concept, even though not for me in reality: I'm just not (so far) a rose sort of girl. Probably will swap.

Strangely, I don't get any sweetness or apple from this at all.

Wet, it's strong patchouli-musk, and that's a little scary - but I persevered. And oh, was I rewarded! This dries and calms down into an absolutely gorgeous wood-vanilla blend, with just a touch of subtle rose floating over it. I'm discovering that my skin loves vanilla, but expresses it by just holding onto the scent longer than anything else (unlike the obsession my skin has with gardenia and honey; those just end up overpowering everything else).

So now I've got my wrist glued to my nose, because this is just lovely. Not bitter, but warm and sweet and mellow.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet... I've had it for 5 months, and it's my default scent.

In bottle: Very citrusy. A bitter citrus. I wasn't sure I was going to like it, as I've never really been a fan of citrus.

Wet on skin: Rather orangey, but the other notes come through now. The rose shows itself lightly, held down by the musk. There is a slight woody note that can only be the teak, but there is also a green note that I can't put a name to. It's probably the apple. A granny smith apple.

On drydown: The vanilla is there, hiding a bit, but it's there. The rose is more pronounced, and the wood is gone. Oranges still prevail.

30 minutes later: My skin finally decides to amp the vanilla. I'm left with a spicy floral-vanilla scent, with a hint of sharp citrus that makes you pay attention. The rose doesn't scream, it whispers provocatively.

5 hours later: My skin has finally eaten most of the perfume, and I consider reappling, even though the spice and vanilla still linger.

Final review: :P

I've gotten many compliments on this scent. When I wear it to work, at least one of my coworkers, and a few more of my customers will tell me that I smell good. The other day, I was in the car with one of my usually oblivious male friends. He started sniffing the air, asked if it was me, and then asked to smell my wrist. He couldn't get enough.

This is my favorite BPAL scent so far, and I'd definitely recommend it.

This is all patchouli and cherry sweet in the bottle. But on my skin the musk and rose are more noticable. This is a very light scent. I'd thought it would be more "in yer face" with the patchouli and rose but this is much more subtle. There is no more sweetness when this gets on my skin. It's all subtle musk, rose and earthy patchouli. Smoldering.

Overall, I really really love the subtlety of Desire. I love that none of the scents overpower the others. Another oil for the "must have" list that just keeps growing and growing!

Edited by Eunice_Branca

bottle:

floral (strong) and musky

wet:

floral with a touch of fruit/sweetness, and incense/patchouli

dry:

what started off as too strong has mellowed. Not sure how to describe it, but it's a nice sexy blend. A little like shadow without the lemon. It's an incense with depth and character. Eventually, it gets VERY slightly soapy.

overall:

I liked it until it got soapy. sigh.

rating: 5/10

Erm... where is this "lemon" you ladies speak of?

Patchouli, musky, and ... well... perfumie... in an old ladie sort of way, but very toned down.

Definately feminine, but a little too classic for me.

:P Another patchouli surprise..... Pachouli doesn't like me at all, but this scent is a great blend. Trying to figure out if the floral or the musk that tones it. Will have to experiment further..... :D

Imp: Dark, apple, STRONG vanilla on the bottom. Can definately pick out patchoulli.

Wet: The apple gets stronger and the black musk and patchoulli are strong. Somewhere the mix is getting soapy.

Dry: Soapy appley wierdness. Not pleasant but not unpleasant.

Category: Apple/Patchoulli

Rating: 1.5/5; didn't mix well on me

Overall: A blend that just doesn't work for me. Will be going to the swap pile. Apple's not my thing anyways so I'm not worried.

Wet this smells like a candy shop. The vanilla and the patchouli seem to be responsible.

When it dries the patchouli becomes powdery and the apple and neroli really comes out on me. Nice, foody sort or scent.