Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Gloriously innocent and guileless: pure buttered popcorn!

Melted butter and a hint of popcorn in the background. I had forgotten what Shill was supposed to smell like when I tried it on last night. I was so surprised when I sniffed my arm and then there was that niggling thought of buttered popcorn that I dredged up. Then I felt like crying - what long forgotten memory was stirred up there :D plus, it made me really hungry for popcorn :P It was an interesting experience, but I don't think that I'll be wearing it as a perfume.

Shill-

In Bottle: Butter! Buttery salty butter with the tiniest tinge of sweet.

Wet: Oh, that's so nifty, the salty butteriness.

Dry: An interesting dry-down! The butter scent lingers; I really feel like I've wiped a piece of movie popcorn on my wrist, with that fake greasy movie butter. I could either come to love this one or make myself sick on it, I bet. :P

Overall: Nifty!

pure. fake. buttered. popcorn.

fake? yeah, that fake butter that they use in the movie theaters that's so honestly bad for you while at the same time being to so evilly delicious.

Excellent scent, I wanted to lick the salty butter from my fingers, but it has *no* lasting power. Within an hour or so, it was vamoosed.

Might have to try layering it with something else to see if it gives a bit of oomph.

in the bottle, this smells SO GOOD. like a tiny little bottle of the "butter" (yeah. riiiight.) they squirt on popcorn at the movies...

but once it hits my skin, it smells sortof like a bowl of grits for a few minutes, then there's coconut for a few minutes... and then it is gone. less than twenty minutes and just gone.

and nothing i've tried has made it last longer than that.

pooh!

so, i just bring the bottle out to sniff. because it makes me happy.

In the imp, Shill smells exactly like movie theater popcorn. Once on my skin, though, it turns a little plastic; luckily, after a few minutes, the plastic goes away and I want to eat my arm.

The smell is just a little sweeter than movie theater popcorn, with an extra puddle of orange "butter."

Definitely not something I'd wear regularly, but a fun novelty scent that's pretty dead-on. I'm glad I got to try it!

In the bottle:

what else? Buttered popcorn! :P

On me:

When this is wet on me, it's extremely buttery and I can see where people are getting caramel from because there is a sugary edge to it that makes me think of caramel. As it dries down, the butter starts to settle in and the popcorn smell comes out a lot more.

The more this dries, the fainter it becomes and the more it starts to smell like the wood note in Miskatonic University. My skin is just EATING this one by the second.

Final note:

I am really sad about how my skin has reacted to this one. It's so perfect when it hits my skin, but within 5 minutes the scent is barely there and smells of wood instead of popcorn. And 5 minutes after that? It's gone.

Edited by Brianne

This smells like popcorn with very, very yellow butter on it (like the kind in the theatre) and lots of salt. The corn part of it isn't as strong as the butter/salt, on me.

I kinda like smelling like popcorn. But I like smelling popcorn more than I like smelling like popcorn myself.

So, my husband has 3 bottles of this. :P

I know it's weird, but he's irresistible to me when he wears Shill.

I really don't think I want to analyze why.

Right out of the bottle, this smells like theater popcorn with lots of butter on me. After half an hour or so, I can smell a little stale porpcorn smell-not unpleasant, but I don't think I want to wear it. I think I would rather put this in an oil burner.

In the bottle: Oh. My. God. Read the Lab's description of this scent and that's exactly what you get. Pure, buttered popcorn. Movie theater butter. Buttered Popcorn Jelly Belly! Just a teensy hint of sweetness.

Wet on skin: Same -- I honestly have no better description than "buttered popcorn." It is delicious!

Drydown: As it dries, it becomes a tiny bit sweeter, almost like a popcorn ball or kettle corn, but still buttery popcorn goodness.

After an hour: It's not a very strong scent, but it really doesn't seem to change that much on me from the bottle to the drydown. I am in love.

Throw: Somewhat weak after drydown: I have to sniff my wrist to really smell it.

Verdict: This scent delivers exactly what is promised in the description. It's definitely one of my new favorites, and big thanks to sookster for selling me a bottle when she saw it on my ISO post. I'll be on the lookout for more of this, definitely!

Important Aging info on this scent:

Edited 8/2011 to add - just as background info, I keep my oils in a special temperature-controlled fridge-sort-of thing at about 65 degrees F year round. The bottle of Shill I got in 2007 still smells almost the same to me. However, I recently (7/2011ish) got a bottle of Shill from the Lab in an eBay auction, and something in it seems to have destabilized. There's a sort of sharp note to it that's just a little bit "off." I got two other bottles of Shill in different swaps recently, and the same thing.

So, basically, at this point, several years later, it appears that Shill doesn't particularly age well. However, if you keep it very cool (like I said, around 65F/18C or so), or if the person selling it has kept it very cool, you have a chance of it staying more like the original.

Note that this is ONLY my experience, and at first I thought it was a problem with the swapper. But seriously, the bottle I got from the LAB had kinda turned, and you know they probably store things well, so I think it's a problem with one of the notes in the scent.

Edited by MrsVeteran

Wet and dry: caramel popcorn. yes, it's buttery and popcorny, but caramel is very prominent on my skin. Foody deliciousness! Not sure I would wear it a lot, but sniffing the vial? Oh yes.

In the Imp : POPCORN!

Wet : Still popcorn! Big buttery, salty popcorn. The kind you have to get at a movie theater where they give you an extra pump of butter so that once you eat all of it the left over "bits" at the bottom are swimming in it.

Dry : This really hasn't morphed too much. The salt has finally dissipated a bit and this has turned sweet. The popcorn its self is as strong as ever.

Over All : Shill is just so wonderful and its quickly turning into one of my favorite novelty scents. I've taken to wearing this on movie nights at home - sipping soda with one hand and then sniffing the other - it's just like having a real bag to munch on. :D

Big Bottle Worthy : Oh Shill how could I ever deny my love for you? If I ever find one then yes. :P

Mmmmmm now I want to watch a movie!!! This is pure movie-theater-butter-popcorn without the popcorn! THIS is what that microwave crud should taste like!!! Well, it should taste how it smells, anyhow. LOL!

In vial: Whoa, butter! It's so buttery, that it doesn't smell like real butter, but instead is reminiscent of the taste sensation from buttered popcorn-flavored Jelly Belly jelly beans. Perfect, since that's my favorite flavor.

On skin, wet: Exactly like in the vial. So far, so good.

On skin, dry: The initial buttery blast dissipated and a hint of the underlying popcorn is coming forward.

After time: An hour later, the scent has calmed down into a real popcorn. Very little throw, and it's fading fast. Also, I haven't gotten any of the saltiness that many reviewers comment on.

Conclusion: Too bad this didn't stay ultra-buttery, as that's a very happy smell for me. Also, I'd have liked to have gotten the saltiness too. I might want to try this in larger quantities, but I have a feeling it just doesn't work with my skin the way I want. Perhaps in a scent locket it would be better.

Buttered popcorn. How does Beth do it? On skin, again, with the buttered popcorn. And it stays close to the skin, which is good because every time I get a whiff, I get really hungry.

This oil is amazing because it's a perfume that smells exactly like the description. It said popcorn and I got popcorn.

I would never wear this personally because I don't like the rabid hunger pains it gives me.

But man, it is TASTY! :P

I've had this skulking in the back of my cupboard for years and it still smells fabulous.

Warm buttery popcorn and the best throw..I love this scent during the summer especially layered with Midway, it just feels sultry and festive (like a summer carnival should feel)

Since I had my son I've had to cull alot of my bpal (some of it just does not agree with my chemistry anymore) but this is still one of my relaxing favorites, and it still smells like a warm summery salty carnival breeze.

Ahhh..nice to rediscover an old favorite isn't it? :P

Ok, so I haven't actually TRIED this, but I've smelt it. A lot. It reminds me of those scratch-n-sniff stickers I used to have as a kid. The red and white striped tub of popcorn scratch-n-sniff sticker. I smell popcorn w/ butter, but also a little tiny whiffy of dill. Weird? I dunno. I can't bring myself to put it on! I'll probably keep this for awhile then swap it. But for now, it's fun knowing I have it in the precious bottle box.

In the bottle, this reminds me of Jelly Belly buttered popcorn jelly beans.

On my skin, it's more buttery, more savory than in the bottle.

When it's dry, it's almost completely gone! There's just a hint of buttery-ness on my wrist. So sad - I had such high hopes for this one!

Buttery popcorn in the bottle.

Buttery popcorn wet.

Buttery popcorn dry.

I really like it but I don't know that I'll wear it often. I just don't think I ever really have a reason to smell like popcorn. Besides, it makes me hungry!

yup. that's buttered popcorn alright! :thumbsup:

wet, dry, later: all consistently yummy buttered popcorn.

i like this WAAAAY more than i thought i would.

i hope i can track some down at this late date... :unsure:

In the imp: caramel and butter

wet: Buttered popcorn

Dry Buttered popcorn

I really like it but it makes me want to go to the movies just to get the popcorn.

In the bottle it smells like sharp wet butter. I smell the popcorn after I put it on and it's very good! Smells just like buttered popcorn! It doesn't have a lot of staying power though, halfway through the day I have to reapply to kick it up, but most scents are like that on me anyway...

In the vial: Melted butter. No, really. I could almost lick this, but I won't.

Wet: Melted butter and something else, which passes for warm popcorn. I love this! How strange and wonderful.

Drydown: After a while it starts to smell faintly of coconut. It still smells like buttered popcorn as well. I can slather this and it stays subtle, which is nice, because as much as I love this, I don't want anyone to think I bathed in butter today.

I only just learned of this oil a few weeks ago, of course I had to get my hands on it right away. It was before my time. I didn't really expect I would wear it often, but so far I have worn it at least five different days. Maybe I'm just a weirdo like that, but I have a special place in my heart for the most unusual bpals. I'd love to see Shill come back someday, even for just a little while.