Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gemini noir

Pink Moon 2005

The name of this moon refers to the color of wild ground phlox, a primary component of this Lunacy Blend, which is one of the most widespread floral signposts of springtime in North America. This Lunar blend is soft with phlox, tulip, daffodil, dogwood and muscari, dusted with pink sugar, carnation and honey, and a touch of the first strawberries of the season.

To my great delight, Pink Moon turns to cotton candy on me- does anything else need to be said? Oh, yeah. It's not just cotton candy- it's soooo much better. This is beautiful! All the florals are sugared, but they lend depth and loveliness to the sweetness, and it is just SO. VERY. GOOD.

I don't know what else to say. It's better than Pink Phoenix (in fact, it's what I was hoping PP would be!) and it almost ranks above Beaver Moon in my lunacy list.

ETA: Description. Edited by Shollin

In vial: Strawberries, sugar, and honey. This SMELLS pink.

Wet: there's something a touch rotten here, like spoiled strawberries. Just barely, though. I definitely get the phlox and sugar, very strongly.

Drydown: This is overwhelmingly pretty and pink. The florals are nice, the strawberry is mellow and sweet, but not too sweet. I really like this!

pinkmoon05ss.jpg

Imp: I was lucky enough to get a bottle of the original 2005 version of Pink Moon on eBay, because I really wanted to compare it with the more recently released version. On first whiff, all I smell is sweet, almost a maraschino cherry sweet, with pink cotton candy. I wasn't too sure how this was going smell on me, as some really sweet blends tend to turn all plastic on me (Pink Phoenix, I'm looking at you!).

Wet: Still with the sticky sweetness, but I think I detect some florals in there somewhere. I think.

Dry: The sweetness mellowed a bit upon drydown, but it is still very, very sweet. It hasn't turned to Barbie doll plastic smell on me yet (Oh, Pink Phoenix, I still feel betrayed, I tell you!) but I just don't think this is the Pink Moon for me. I like the spicy carnation in the 2007 version better.

Verdict: I'm keeping this, since it doesn't smell badly on me, and maybe it will be a nice item for some future swap.

Edited by stellans

In the bottle: Sweet floral.

On skin: I initially didn't pay too much attention to this blend as I thought it would be too floral for me, plus honey has a tendancy to go wrong on my skin, and strawberry tends to smell artificial. Oh and a certain type of carnation appears to make me sneeze violently for the entire day. But then I read some of the reviews, where one person likened it to the smell of candy floss, which did catch my attention, and so now a decant is mine.

I'm not too good with differentiating florals, but you can tell that they're there. It's sweet, but in a subtle way rather than in a candy-ish sense. I'm not really getting a cotton candy feeling from this, but it does remind me a little of Fyrinnae's Cotton Candy perfume, which doesn't really smell like the actual thing either.

Pink Moon is more floral than Fyrinnae's Cotton Candy, but now that it's dried the flowers are soft, and in the background. The strawberry comes to the front, and I think this is what's giving the blend a slightly artificial tone. The honey appears to be behaving and not turning the whole blend sour on my skin, and the carnation appears to be the type that doesn't make me sneeze, score!

Even with the slightly artificial tone of the strawberry, this is a lovely blend. From the notes it shouldn't work on me, but it does pretty well on my skin. Definitely a floral, but there's a gentle sweetness and warmth to it. It seems like a scent for spring, or early summer.

I'm going to be keeping my decant, but I'll have to see how often I actually wear it before I think about tracking down more.

When I'd ordered this one weeks ago, I thought I was getting an imp of 2007, but this one smells entirely of strawberry fluff in the imp, so it must be 2005. (I later got a bottle of '07, so I know the difference.)

Wet: Daffodils and strawberry syrup, the kind Hershey's makes to mix with milk. It's pretty and springy, but starts to smell of celery(!) as it dries.

Dry: Celery. :P No more strawberries. No more spring flowers. Just celery. I'm very confused as to how my skin morphed things like phlox and osmanthus into a green pseudo-vegetable. 20 minutes later, the celery's worn off and my skin smells very lightly of tulips!

In bottle: Tart flowers. It's a very girly scent. Pink. Nothing like its bubblegum counterpart, Pink Moon 2007.

On me: Hmm. It's not very pretty on me. I think it's the honey. I don't like honey, and honey notes go all sour and odd on me. I also don't get any strawberry either in the bottle or on the drydown. So sad. :P

I didn't like this one at all. I felt like I was being attacked by a strawberry sweetart. No fun. It was just sharp and unpleasant to my nose.

I didn't go looking for this one, but Kettu had tried it at a meet'n'sniff and a friend had one she was looking to swap, so I picked it up for her and decided to try it just for the hell of it.

Definitely not my type of scent -- at first sniff it's a light, sweet floral, but it settles down to something drier, a little less sweet, and sort of... cold, for lack of a better word. Smells like there's orris in here, and maybe some sort of woody notes, and a bit of some sort of berry, in addition the florals I originally picked up.

It's pleasant enough, once it's settled in a for a bit. Still fairly sweet, though not as much so as on first contact. There's something a touch bubble-gummy about it, though not to an awful extent. But it's still not really me -- very girly and with a nose-tickling dryness underlying it.

It also fades out fairly quickly -- after less than an hour, it's nearly gone, but what there is of it has gotten warmer and more berry-ish, which I like -- kind of ironic that it starts getting more to my liking just before it disappears.

This one definitely goes to Kettu.

Grade: C+/B-

This right up there with Pink Phoenix as my favourite BPAL blend, I think this has overtaken PP! :P

When I first apply it, it can at times be very tart smelling, but this almost immediately disappears, and I am left with the most gorgeous, sugary sweet, strawberry laden floral scent! I can smell the Pink Sugar and Strawberries, they are so yummy on me! I can't pick out any particular floral note, this is so well blended (on me anyway!) I need to hoard this one badly, and treasure every bottle that I am lucky enough to get my hands on!! :D

Pink Moon 2007 didn't work on me at all, so I was nervous about trying the earlier version. Needlessly worried, I discovered. This is beautiful!

In the imp: Sweet and floral, but not overpowering Avon-ish floral.

Wet: Sugared flowers, the kind you see used to decorate cakes.

Drydown: Flowers and a sweetness that might be sugar or honey or even a hint of strawberry. It's very delicate and feminine. It sings Spring to me, and I need that at this time of year. I want to slather this all over the next time the temperature dips below freezing so I can daydream about little pink flowers and budding greenery. It has a surprisingly good weartime for such a delicate scent.

i got this as an extra goodie during a recent rares swap with the lovely Cheshirecat! here we go...

in the imp: wow. a complex layering of fruit and floral notes- i can't pick out a single note individually, except perhaps the phlox. this is amazing so far :)

wet on skin: the strawberry is peeking out slightly, making it's presence known, and i'm getting little wiffs of the pink sugar. it's all very delicate, though, not in the least bit cloying or overwhelming.

dry down: the pink sugar, a hint of the honey and phlox are on top, but not by much. this is still very mixed, layered, complicated. it's totally feminine in the extreme- not usually something i'm drawn to, but man, this is GOOOOOOOD. :D

in all: top five of all time, hands down. this scent has it all, and in a beautiful, subtle, close-to-the-skin scent. i hope i can find a bottle! :D :P

Edited by VioletChaos

thanks to a *very* generous forumite, i got frimped with a full imp of pink moon '07 as well as a sniffie of '05. i wouldn't have tried either one on my own- not due to the listed notes, but because i don't like the color pink! silly, huh?

there was enough left in the imp to give it a good try and i'm really glad i did!

this swings back & forth on me between a lightly spicy, very feminine floral to sweetly fruity with floral undertones. it's pink all right! pink flowers, pink fruit, pink scent. i like it very much, even though i am not a big fan of fruit scents (especially berries), this is really nice. the fruits smell fresh, juicy, & very edible! the throw on this is light but steady and it eventually settles down into a sweet fruit scent, like warm strawberries in the sun.

not something i would wear again just because i'm not fruity, but a really lovely blend that i am glad i had a chance to try!

I felt like I was being attacked by a strawberry sweetart.

AHAHA! that just gave me one of the most hilarious visuals ever! i LOL'd for reals. thanks for brightening my evening! :P

Edited by Shollin

To my great surprise, I really don't like this one! It's much too cloying and powdery sweet for me - on my wrist it smells rather like dolls' heads, which is to say plasticky, powdery, and sweet. Strong throw. Someone will be happy to get it!

I can't believe I was lucky enough to acquire an imp of this, and for a very reasonable price.

In the imp: Very, very sweet - reminds me of cotton candy. Doesn't make my teeth hurt though, as some very sweet blends tend to do. I wish I was kidding! :P

As it dries, the scent becomes very tangy yet maintains most of its sweetness. It's a pink smell for sure, maybe a dark pink? It's also floral, though I can't pinpoint what type of floral. I can't detect the carnation at all.

I had no idea what to expect from this scent going in, and I have to admit that while it's quite beautiful, it's not really me. I can't do very many florals, though carnation is one of those few, and I was hoping for a bit of it here. Also, while I love sweet scents, this one may be just a bit TOO sweet.

This is really quite nice. There is a kind of brown sugar/caramel undertone to a soft floral, with a little spice thrown in. (Probably the carnation?) Not overpowering at all, definitely a keeper.

... My goodness. It is the attach of the strawberry sweet tart. I mean, this on me is sugary syrupy sweetness, with a hint of strawberry.

And a hint of plastic.

Sadness.

It does evoke feelings of - well, innocence and childhood and good sweets.

Well this was one of the first one i got off the forum and OMG it's sooooo good!!

Lovely sweet pink scent makes me very happy :)

This is one off my faves!!

i've had this for years, and brought it out to compare it to Strawberry Moon... so i figured i should do a review while i was at it ;)

(FYI? Strawberry Moon wins, hands down) as much as i thought i'd love this, i really don't. there's something in it that turns ever so slightly bitter on me (probably the honey), and instead of smelling like springtime flowers, i feel like i smell of artificial flowers - because the silk flowers aisle in a craft store always has a very specific smell (Eau de Silk Flower) and that's what this reminds me of, once it settles in on my skin.

Yay! I'm so happy I finally got to try this, thanks to a sweetie who picked me up a bottle at DD. :wub2:

It starts of super pink and sweet smelling. I definitely get the strawberries and sugar. As it dries though it fades quite a bit and softens and the florals peak out just a touch. It's still very pink and a bit candy-like, but not as cloying as I expected. I think the florals in this help to keep it from going too sweet (like Candy Phoenix or Sticky Pillowcase did).

I really like this and will wear it when I'm feeling extra girly. :)

This is very pink indeed. Strawberries and sugar, with a little bit of a floral kick. I liked it, but it was a little "girly" for me. I can't see myself reaching for this very often, so I will pass it on. I will say though that this is by far the most realistic strawberry I have smelled in a perfume. Normally that note goes pretty artificial on my skin, but it stays remarkably true here.

Sniffed: Yellow oil. Sweet, sugary, floral - in a light, feminine, not too-candyish or artificial way. I do get the strawberries, but they're nice. A little spicy phlox and creamy carnation and daffodil, too.

Wet: More sugary-sweet, almost in a tooth-aching way - I'm reminded of pink cotton candy or thickly dusted powdered sugar. The florals are lovely though and really cut the sweetness, and the strawberry is pretty light on my skin.

Dry: This has really sadly low throw - I even slathered more, and I have to sniff closely still. Lovely spring florals, and a little honey coming out on my skin. This strawberry doesn't go plastic! I also love how truly PINK this feels as a blend.

Summary: Sugared strawberries and spicy, creamy pink florals. Spring-like, sweet, feminine and gorgeous with good longevity despite the lousy throw. I absolutely love every floral note in this blend! An incredible wrist-sniffier.

Sniffing the bottle, it's strawberries and honey.

Wet on the skin, I'm getting the strawberries, honey, and carnation notes immediately. Definitely a pink scent. :)

As it dries, I'm getting a bit of phlox as well. Strawberries, honey, and carnations though rule this blend on my skin. Very lovely and gentle. :heart:

Imp from the lovely OneTheyCallLuna! :wave:

Imp: Oh wow! Alcoholic strawberries, spun sugar, honey, and everything sweet! I catch a tiny hint of florals, way in the back, carnation and phlox and other lovely things, but mostly this is strawberries and something syrupy-sour-sweet, like champagne without the fizziness. It's certainly pink, but less bubbly and more sophisticated than I was expecting.

Wet: I get a strong dusty sugar at first, then honey, then... something that smells unpleasantly like plastic. I am really getting surprisingly little floral out of this, just spun sugar and honey and fake strawberry flavouring. It could definitely be the hormones doing it, though, now is not the best of times to be testing anything.

Dry: Eventually the strawberry plastic fades away, leaving strawberry vanilla-scented sugar in its wake, with honey and the faintest breath of florals. This is indeed like, THE PINKEST THING OF ALL TIME, but I am not really getting much depth or complexity out of it. Right now it's not my thing at all, but I will reserve judgment for a better time of the month. I really never thought I'd say this but... I hope the florals show up more! :lol:

In the bottle: Lots of pretty florals and the sugar, too.

Wet: The sugar and the honey have kind of smothered the florals.

The dry-down: Muscari is known also as grape hyacinths. And phlox in many varieties is one of my favourite springtime flowers. The daffodils must be giving off the light green note. Even though I have a dogwood tree in my front yard, I've never noticed much of a scent from dogwoods, although I like the way they gleam through the light green buds and leaves of springtime woods. Still a lot of the sugar and the honey, but the floral notes are a bit more prominent. And the strawberries seem to be those tiny wild ones that I have found in meadows. A very sweet and lovey spring moon oil, rather lady-like.