Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gemini noir

Pink Moon 2005

The name of this moon refers to the color of wild ground phlox, a primary component of this Lunacy Blend, which is one of the most widespread floral signposts of springtime in North America. This Lunar blend is soft with phlox, tulip, daffodil, dogwood and muscari, dusted with pink sugar, carnation and honey, and a touch of the first strawberries of the season.

Origin: decant purchased on LJ

In the Bottle: A crowded floral, covered in honey.

Wet: The sweet really comes out, just drenching the mix of florals with sugar and honey.

Drydown: This fades pretty quickly on me :P I do get hints of strawberry as it disappears into my skin.

Verdict: It's such a pretty scent, but I'll have to use a scent locket or try mixing it into a perfume to see if it will last longer. Edited by Shollin

In the vial: Honey hits me immediately, but there's a tartness to it, and a strong sugary sweetness. Thankfully, I'm not smelling any of those lunar oils that always seem to turn me off of the Lunacy blends.

Wet: This is so strange! The notes aren't blending together at all; they're all very separated and individual, and easy to pick out from one another. There's the dryness of the honey, then that out-of-place fruity tartness, then a dusting of powder, and it's all laid over with a sickly sweetness.

Dry: The floral is finally coming out. The fruity scent is growing stronger, but it's not exactly strawberry. The honey is still the strongest note.

An hour later: The floral has strengthened, actually becoming prominent, and it's created a rather nice balance between everything. The individual notes are no longer chaotically strewn about. There's still a hint of honey, and sugar, but it's all blended in now and difficult to pick out.

Overall: It's all right, definitely one of the nicer Lunacy blends I've tried so far, but not quite my thing. It's the honey that ruins it for me; I'm just not a fan of the honey note.

I got my hands on an imp of this and I'm glad I did. I feel like just another voice in the chorus on this one, but it's definitely smells pink. To me, more like a hot pink -- it's odd - this is one of the first scents that I've tried that I can't describe in terms of "smells like this, smells like that"--it's a happymaking scent and also works well in the oil burner.

to date, this is the only lunacy scent i've tried. it smells like sugary strawberries to me. the strawberry being the strongest note on my skin. it does smell good, but i am not a big fan of fruity scents. pretty but not my style.

in vial: smells juicy. strawberries and definitely cotton candy. mmmmm.

I can also detect a hint of floral.

wet on skin: very very sugary, very pink. I can't smell the strawberry as much as the pink-sugar! there is a bit of an almost...caustic smell to the candy though...I can't really explain it. It is a very dry candy smell, very chalky almost. like the way those pink canadian mints are, except cotton candy flavored.

dry: this reminds me of Maenad. It has that sweet strawberry with a hint of sharp green to it, but Pink Moon has cotton candy, pink sugar added to it. a combination of Maenad and Calvin Klein's Eternity (which I am not really fond of, but nevertheless I like this).

I couldn't really smell any florals except slightly in the vial and very slightly when it was wet on my skin.

I do rather like this, but I doubt I would be able to get a 5ml of this as it is discontinued. If I do find it somewhere I'd get it!

Edited by ancilla

Lives up to its name a very pink-ly sweet scent. Not overly sugar sweet -- more like the sweetness of a tasty strawberry than pure sugar.

Wet, it smells a little like bubble gum to me, but becomes more subtle and mellow after drying. Still sweet, no question about it.

I can't believe how much I've come to like pink-and-sweet scents, they take me by surprise for sure. This one's a keeper for me. And it goes ever so nicely with my LUSH Snow Fairy shower gel. Tee hee.

I didn't think I liked sweet or foody scents, but I'm a big honey fan and this is a combination of strawberry and honey for me, with something slightly tart, too. I really like Pink Moon...more than I thought I would.

Fortunately, I get not a trace of bubble gum. That would be a turn off for me.

A friend sent me an imp of this a while back. In the vial, the smell reminds me of a gift shop- not your typical Hallmark, but one of those gift shops you find in quiet coastal towns, with windchimes and candles and local crafts. I think it's the honey that's doing that- it gives Pink Moon a homespun, rustic feeling to me.

On the skin, it morphs and I can smell the flowers and a touch of strawberry. It reminds me of sugary kiddie cereal at this point. Eventually, as it dies down, all I can smell is the sugar.

This isn't bad. It's not really my thing, but I'll hang onto the imp and wear it once in a while, or I might try it in my oil burner.

I got an imp of this from a forumite, then won an imp of it (along with Formula 54!) on ebay. I'm glad I got 2 imps, as this makes me happy. It smells like cotton candy, but not like the cotton candy in Chaste Moon. This is like sweet bright pink cotton candy and bubblegum.

aaaaaarrrgh.. i'm so kicking myself right now for not ordering a 5mL of this back when it was available. i finally got around to getting an imp of it to test out...and i LOVE it.

i was initially put off by all the floral notes mentioned in the description which is why i didn't order it. but now that i have it on me, i'm not smelling the florals much at all... i smell the sugar, honey, and strawberries. it's SO pretty! :P

Super-sweet florals on first application. The strawberries are evident on first sniff, and I can smell the tulip and daffodil, as well. I'm not familiar with the other floral notes, unfortunately. As it dries, it becomes a little bit like cotton candy, and it fades significantly. In the end, however, it's a faint, dusky floral. It's a pretty, girlish scent, but it really disappears on me.

Let me first preface this review by saying that I am not a pink person. I do not own any pink clothing, nothing in my room is pink. I even have difficulty with shades of red or purple that seem to verge on pinkish.

That said, I really like this. I gave it a try because I do love Beth's honey note, and I was very curious about the florals. This is very sweet, it's true, but the strawberry is tart enough to keep it from being cloying, and there's a soft creamy powderiness to it that makes it a bit elegant. It's not a scent I'd wear every day, but it will be perfect in the spring when I'm feeling girly.

In the bottle: sweet and flowery, a very delicate and somewhat musky scent

Wet: sweet and musky, I can smell the daffodil and phlox

Drydown: kind of minty strawberries with a hint of florals

Throw: average

Rating (1-5): 4

Buy again?: Definitely

I think it was a good scent for me to start out with, but probably a bit more difficult to sort out scents since I have a cold.

I just got an imp of this in the mail today and swiped on a bit before class.

Not five minutes after my friend sat down next to me, she sniffed around and said "what smells like patchouli?"

...patchouli??? :P

Quickly she revised her statement, saying "maybe not patchouli. But it smells like a hippie shop from college. Like someone is burning incense."

To which I said "oh dear... this is supposed to be strawberries and flowers, not incense!"

But she was right... pink moon went all incense-y on me from the get-go, which is strange, as I was not expecting it at all! But with skin chemistry, what can you do?

The scent has calmed down quite a bit, but in my opinion, it's still a little more incense-y than I'd like. I'm not a fan of "that hippie shop" smell. Still I'll test it out again, maybe in a "non-time of the month" setting to see if my chemistry evens out. Maybe I'll test with a less generous swipe, as this scent is pretty overpowering.

On the whole, I prefer Bon Vivant, much less complicated and confusing!

Pink Moon is sickly sweet when it's wet, but dry it's light pink strawberry cotton candy... with the smell of spring flowers. It's young, girly, powdery, and yummy smelling.

Like SpringSnow up there, I got MAAAAJOR incense out of this. So strong that I had someone walk in the front door of the store I work at and say "What smells like incense?" Um. Me. From 15 or 20 feet away, behind a counter. And someone I work with chimed in "Yep, it's your perfume!" (She's been helping me test my various smelly things :P )

And I'd only swiped the teeeeeensiest bit of PM on me from the lip of the bottle. That is some seriously strong stuff, whoa!

I did love the scent- sweet, sugary, with this amazingly strong smokey, background aroma. Then there was this crystalline smell too, that must be the lunar oil thing going on, since it shares that with Chaste Moon & Milk Moon. Of them, I like Pink the best- it's the most interesting, and the smoky/sweet thing it alchemizes into is amazing. I checked again and there really is a huge difference between what it smells like in the bottle vs. skin.

I'll definitely handle with care- my 5ml will probably last forever. And the dab I put on lasted, and lasted, and lasted. Dang.

I'd give it a 5 out of 5.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

I tried this at the October Chicago Meetup, hoping that I would get some of the other notes in this blend, but as fruit amps on me, I definitely only got strawberry.

Hmm. At first this is really sweet and yes, pink. But then once it started to dry a weird celery note came out. I've had this before with certain bpal oils. I'll have to check if they have similar notes to them. It is so weird that my skin is doing this. Maybe it is the phlox. I don't know. :P

I'm picturing a faerie sneaking into the cupboard and waving a magic wand over the sugar bin and turning it to pink before sprinkling it on me while I am asleep. That's what it smells like. It's innocent and very, very pretty. A lot of florals don't work on me, but this oil is very sweet and smells almost tropical. I really love this one.

Pink Moon

First Sniff:

Candy, just candy.

Wet:

A definite something else is there, but I am still crap at picking out notes. It’s a bit cloying, I must say. Very sweet, and dense.

Drying:

I think something fruity is coming out now. The sweetness has toned down a bit and it’s become more pleasant to wear.

After a Few Hours:

Ok, it’s turned a little powdery, but after the too-sweet beginning IMO this is a definite improvement.

Overall Impressions:

Turns out nice enough. I think I’d have to be in a certain mood to wear this, and probably not to the office.

Rating:

6/10

This smelled sweetly pink and slightly fruity in the bottle, but on my skin it turned into this generically spicy/soapy combination that reminded me of walking into Bath & Body Works. After about half an hour, it softened quite a bit and the florals came out , but I was waiting for the strawberry to make its appearance. After about an hour, it settled into its long term smell which was a soft, sweet (but faint and still somewhat generic B&BW) floral. Nice but not outstanding. I think most of my disappointment in this stemmed from my high expectations. I probably would have liked it more if I hadn't been expecting a sparkly fruity strawberry scent.

In one word: sweet

Pink moon is like strawberries and flowers and cotten candy smooged together. Some of the OMG sugariness faded as it dried, but it stayed very sweet. This reminds me of something a twelve year old girl would wear. It's a nice scent, but not something I'd want to wear.

This is the first 5ml I've received, and the scent that has made me the happiest about getting into BPAL. In the bottle, I smell flowers and incense, which I'm assuming are those lunacy oils, but the incense isn't overpowering, it grounds the ultra-sweet floral and matures it into a genuine perfume. I've read a few people that mentioned this scent didn't last on them, and I am luckily quite the opposite. I put it on right away in the morning and could still smell it when I crawled into bed late that night.

This is the first floral scent that has really won me over. I've been looking for this for a long time. I love Pink Moon!!

Pink Moon

in bottle: sugary berries

wet: slightly spicy floral

dry: the sweetness fades and becomes mainly a soft, but spicy, carnation scent

verdict: I like this and am glad that I bought it