Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The spirit of temptation, the essence of lost innocence. Apple blossom, rose, ylang ylang and golden honey.

This was a freebie in my last order. It's not something I'd have ordered for myself, as I avoid scents with rose as a component. But hey, I'll be fair and give it a shot.

Well, it's not as obsessively, in-your-face ROSE as Old London was, but it's still rose, and I don't like rose. I'd classify this as Old Lady Rose; it's the sort of thing I can imagine someone of my grandmother's generation wearing and loving. I will say that it's pretty nice, for something that's mostly rose -- very light and sweet. The reaction that kicks in is, "Nah, rose," rather than, "Rose, ew!" No need even to make R. take a sniff, it's off to the swap pile. Someone who likes rose will want it.

*giggle* R. just walked past as I was typing this, and he very definitely had the "Ew!" reaction.

Eve disappointed me in that I was expecting someone completely different from what I actually got.

What I WAS expecting was something that reminded me of Rosh Hashanah, with the apples and honey that I love so much.

What I GOT was a nice sweet floral, with a hint of honey in the background. Pleasant, but not what I was hoping for. Nevertheless, I gave it a try, but on me it turned into Just Plain Rose, and while I like rose, if I wanted to smell like Just Plain Rose, I'd have gotten a single note of it before they were discontinued. A pity. *sigh*

Ah well...it really is a nice scent-- would be perfect for spring. It reminds me of when the flowers are just starting to blossom outside and going for a walk to smell them mixed with the sun. It just ain't for me.

This was a lot more floral than I thought it would be for some reason. The ylang ylang and honey were very stong and sweet. They make Eve a soft, but bright lemon color to my nose. The rose in comparison isvery mild and not nearly as distinctive as it is in some blends. For some reason I was thinking "apple" instead of "apple blossom" and was mildly disappointed not to get any fruit, but rather a white floral note.

Final Thoughts: This is very pretty but to floral to not have much rose. I tend to only wear florals if they are significantly rosey.

I don't think my skin likes honey. There must be honey in Follow Me Boy, because I sampled that last night and it turned a bit nasty of me, into a mapley sugared honey. This has a little more floral to it, but I don't like it much.

I did smell a little apple when I first put it on and that was nice, but I have no idea what it is doing now, other than it smells rank on me.

I would say if you like sugar, honey and apple/floral mixed together, you'll love this!

Eve

Before applying this is apple with a hint of rose. However on the skin it's just ylang ylang :P It didn't change until it was almost gone when a touch of rose reappeared.

Eve is another one I sample at odd intervals, trying to figure out if it is or isn't for me.

The ingredients jostle each other for a few minutes, in the end I come out with an almost lemon-y apply blossom, sugar-sweet roses, and a little ylang-ylang/honey for skin warmth.

A young and inviting fragrance that doesn't know how much trouble it's in for. This has possibilities, but not for me.

This is when I learn the hard way that Apple and Apple Blossom are not even remotely similar. :P

This is a very floral scent. Too heavy for me to wear. The honey is lost in the blend on me as the florals and rose come to the front and scream "Smell me! Don't I smell pretty!"

If you like floral scents, this would probably be right up your alley!

Mmm, very nice! A soft floral. I don't think the rose is particularly overpowering, but it is noticeable, so if you're a rose hater, don't even go here! The ylangylang is sweeting it, and it ends up very much like a soft, powdery rose'ish floral. I say "rose'ish" just because the rose is light and not as heavy as the rose in Persephone, for instance.

Very nice. This is definitely an 'appropriate for all occasions' fragrance. :P

Most of the oils with rose notes in them that I've tried go very rosy on me, so far. Eve hasn't, it's behaved very nicely. I ordered a bottle without trying it, based on the notes in it, and I must say I haven't been disappointed. It's soft and feminine and makes me feel alluring and beautiful. It also lasted well on my skin, though that may have been because I accidentally slathered pretty heavily. I'd go for a lighter application next time. It has a slightly musty sort of undertone on me, not too clean and crisp. It's certainly sweet, but didn't turn powdery or old-ladyish on me. It made me feel like a vamp, which was probably a bad thing for work, but what the hell, you only live once, right?

An instant favourite for me! I hope that repeated wearings don't show up any interesting skin-chemistry tricks.

Mmm, lovely. This smells very much like Libra. Sharp green apple, rose, white florals, and a wee bit of honey making it all smell dappled and sweet. Very me. Will wear this often.

:P

Bottle ~ Fall. I'm not certain why, though. Freshly harvested apples and dying roses.

Wet ~ Ugh. The floral is much stronger here. It's a bit nasty, like cut flowers that have spoiled the water they're sitting in.

Drying ~ Interesting. I've started sneezing. Here's hoping that it's something other than this oil that's causing it. And yep, there's still this stale, cloying rose scent wafting up from my wrists. The murky water scent has faded off a bit.

Drydown ~ Oh, no. The murk came back, and the dead-rose is just backing it up. Wasn't this supposed to smell like apples?

Dry ~ Again, it's just dead-rose.

Fade ~ It's fading to a dusty dead-rose. I remember that fabric color from "The Torn Birds": Ashes of Roses. Perhaps this is Ashes of Roses in Murky Water?

Final thoughts ~ blech. Plain rose doesn't thrill me. Lurking, mutated, Lovecraftian rose is just kinda gross. Pity, it had such promise in the bottle.

I love rose scents, so I was pretty sure I was going to like this.

And I do... I like the sweetness of it, but I like how it is really light at the same time. The sweetness isn't cloying. It's stayed pretty consistent (smell-wise) on me all day. It's really feminine too.

Thumbs up!

In the bottle: I know that both rose and ylang ylang work on me. Honey is iffy. Apple works on me in some blends, but I'm not sure if I've tried one with apple <b>blossom</b> before. (Spreadsheet at home. Grrr.) Hmmm...apple and ylang ylang, but it's a kind of tart scent more than a sweet one. No rose detected yet and the honey isn't around either. It reminds me of the cider we used to drink over in England only lacking that boozy undertone some of those had.

Wet: Tart apple still with a little bit of floral in the background. Hmmm...The Hesperides provides the same thing and is a little nicer, but let's continue. Ylang ylang coming out in full force now. I like the way it's subtle on me in Libra, but this blend is a little too overpowering for me. I hope it dies down. Ylang ylang still with a funky kind of fruit scent in the background.

Dry down: Oh no. Step back here comes the honey, and it kinda reeks. I'm very slowly accepting the fact that honey blends and I are enemies. This has dissolved from being nice but a little strong to being just plain funky on my skin. I cannot even really describe what it smells like. It's just...kinda bad. Now it really does smell like the alcoholic cider. The rose is there in the background trying to be pretty, but the honey just won't let it.

Dry: A little more of the tart apple surfacing from underneath the somewhat foul honey scent. But...oh no...sneezing. Not enough of the apple to save this blend on my skin, though. It's a very unhappy smell to me. One that's kinda rancid because of the reaction of my skin to the honey note. Meh. I'm going to wash this off and toss it in my swap pile.

I really love Eve! :P It starts out like a wet, dark, in full bloom rose, yet, as it dries down it's scent becomes more and more like bayberry on me. This is a wonderful thing!! I put a dab on last night, before I went to bed and when I woke up close to 7 hours later, the scent was still there. It's a truly intoxicating fragrance. I will be ordering a larger bottle of this oil! :D

wow eve is stronger then i anticipated. very very strong floral, i get yalng ylang and rose. not wild abt her, off to swaps

Eve was thrown into my first BPAL order as a freebie, but after reading the description I was so glad it was included. I put it on and immediately loved it -- to me it smells so fresh and bright, full of the honey-rose-apple scent it's made of. I'm not a huge fan of ylang, but in this blend it brings more of a sweetness to the mix than another floral element. The rose is especially prominent, and it's the smell of freshly opened rosebuds, a little bit cool even after it warms with body heat. Eve doesn't change much on me from wet to dry, or throughout the day, though it does fade a little bit. It's one of the only perfumes that I can put both on my wrists and over my heart and it doesn't overpower. Very lovely -- one of my absolute favorites so far.

In the Vial: Apples and Honey!

Wet: Roses, and Apples..

Dry: Apples, Crisp apples, A dab of Honey, and a little Roses and Ylang Ylang in the background

Conclusion: It's very nice, I'll keep the imp and finish it but I won't be buying a big bottle, while this is a beautiful scent, it's just not something I'd wear often. If you like Apples, Roses, or Ylang Ylang this one would be great for you!

I love this scent...it's my standby for the "hey, I'm feelin' kinda girly" moment. It's fresh and light on me, without being overpoweringly rose. Rose and honey are definitely in the forefront, with a strong background component of apple.

Also, for some reason, this has fantastic staying power on me, which seems odd for such a light scent.

Usually honey doesn't work out on me, but I love rose and ylang ylang so I wanted to try this scent.

At first the scent is sharp and slightly soapy (honey is generally soapy on my skin) but as it sits it seems to warm up and the soapiness goes away. Oh wow. The primary note I detect after the blend has mellowed is ylang ylang. It is positively dreamy. So smooth and complex. Positively delicious! It takes about 30 minutes to go from :D to :P

After popping the cap on the imp, I got a kind of lemony scent from this. A sharp, dry note that I can’t quite put my finger on. It’s not citrus necessarily, just somewhat sterile. Almost like that you find in a kitchen cleanser.

My skin doesn’t seem to think much better of it either, sadly. I get a bit of rose, but the powdery kind that doesn’t please me all that much. I think somehow the blend of rose with ylang ylang is what’s causing those cleaning product associations to emerge, as together they smell soapy on me.

As the oil warms on my wrist, it turns more floral and less harshly chemical. But it’s still nowhere near wearable. I expected a bit more apple (or even a hint of it!) but I guess my skin has other ideas.

I appreciate how light the scent is and think it would be something I’d compliment on someone else on if they were wearing it. However, it just isn’t working with my particular chemistry.

Wow, this wasn't rose to me almost at all. It was beautiful apple blossom and ylang, ylang with sweetness of honey. Unfortunately, I am a headachy person and this stayed too strong for me, but it really is a beautiful and to me, complex scent. Anyone who likes feminine perfumes should love this. Wow.

I really love this scent in the vial. That said, the honey did something not nice on my skin. It may have been skin chemistry/time of the month issues, so im not giving this one up, i like it too much in the vial. Its very true apples and roses in the vial, and that smells so lovely to me.

Honey sweet roses.

Another gift impie, I love the rose in Alice. I do not think this is the same one. :P It is wonderful on me for about the first 10 minutes, then I can't smell the honey or apple, I smell like a rose garden. :D

Off to a new home.

Eve:

All apple blossom. I'm not familliar with the smell of ylang-ylang, so I can't comment on that. The rose peeks through, and I don't smell the honey at all. The apple blossom in Eve reminds me of the apple blossom in Phantom Queen, which I like quite a bit. I don't know that I'd wear Eve often enough for a big bottle, but I know I'd use up the imp.

Initial Imp Sniff: Hmm...pretty and womanly. Floral like n' stuff..I can't actually pick out individual notes though (never can with florals).

Swipe: Easy there cowboy, someone might mistake me for a girl! :D It's totally perked up to like "woman." Why do I detest woman so much? The rose is beginning to surface and the other floral notes (that I still can't recognize) are fading to the background..there's also a powder edge evolving.

Drydown: Poopydoop. It's rose alright. Rose is soooo "grown up woman", I really can't stand it and I don't know why I try so hard to like it (oh yeah..cuz the bf likes it. :P). I swear this is something I can envision on my mom or some other woman of equal "woman" or "maternal" standards. The rose sharpened the powder smell and whipped everything else in line behind it.

Overall: So....is rose just overpowering when it's used in blends, even if it's a smaller amount? Or is it my skin amplifying it? Either way - poopydoopy!! I can't associate rose with anything other than "grown woman perfume" which I have never loved and will probably never appreciate. *le sigh*

Still, it's a beautiful blend...just not for me.