Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The spirit of temptation, the essence of lost innocence. Apple blossom, rose, ylang ylang and golden honey.

This was a kind and generous freebie from the Lab.

Once I applied Eve to the skin, I was instantly drawn in to the wonderful world of Apple Blossom. Quite delicious. As the oil marinated on my skin, the rose, shy at first, began to assert its take-over. In some cases for me, this would be a sign of worry and woe, but the rose in Eve is a very fresh, pleasant rose, and I welcome its company.

The honey note then allows its bit of sweetness to permeate everything, yet not taking over. I'm not one who has had a bad experience with honey, so this is all right with me. It sort of candies the roses and apples a wee bit, but not to the point of inducing cavities. I'm not one for super sweet or syrupy scents, and Eve isn't anywhere near that territory for me. It's like dusting roses with powdered sugar. The ylang-ylang isn't too noticable, perhaps it's working in the background or just adding that extra bit of wetness to this garden on my arms.

Eve is evocative of a lush, verdant garden with roses and apple blossoms (natch) in the late morning or early afternoon. It's a very agreeable scent. After about five or ten minutes, however, the rose becomes unrestrained and, sniffing my wrist, I find it has choked the apple tree to death. Still, it's not a bad scent, and the rose has not yet gone to the realm of Powdery Rose of Death, although it does smell a little like well-made rose soap or rose-scented powder, yet it's not too powdery or soapy to me.

Did that make sense? Maybe I've just become really forgiving of the powdery and soapy smells that rose can emit.

Eve is a beautiful mix of a garden and orchid dusted with dew and powdered sugar for around five minutes. Afterwards, the rose does take over and becomes a lightly honeyed rose of leaning towards the soapy and powdery fame, yet not completely soapy nor powdery. Perhaps because it isn't that strong that I find myself still enjoying the Eve experience, or perhaps the clean fragrance and the rose's green element remains intact throughout the whole ride. I would've liked more time with the apple blossom, but the honey does manage to peek out every now and then with a sweet little "hello" before it hides in the rose bush again.

In the end, Eve is a very fresh fragrance suitable for summer wear. I'll keep my imp, but I'm not sure if I'll buy a bigger bottle any time soon. It's actually rather tempting to buy a bigger bottle to use as a home fragrance, because its such a nice, clean scent. It's very feminine, and would be great to counteract the overwhelming "Boy-ness" I live with having my boyfriend and a male roommate.

-doreen

Important note: I really don't like rose scents. But then BPAL has managed to do amazing things with notes I would have never imagined I'd like, and the description of Eve sounded exquisite, so I thought I'd give this one a try. See if BPAL could redeem roses for me, as it were.

So. I uncapped the vial and got knocked back with the !!!ROSE!!!. I couldn't pick out honey, or apple blossom, or anything other than a huge, thick rose. Kind of a rose that's been out in the rain and is dripping wet and you can smell it across the room.

It was wonderful as far as roses go, but again, not a rose fan.

So, I was a bit put off by the initial sniff, but then I reminded myself that a lot of the scents vary pretty strongly from the imp to the wrist, and repeating my mantra of "I trust the lab, I trust the lab" I dabbed some onto my wrists.

In the vial: big wet rose.

Wet: big wet rose.

Drying: big wet rose.

Half-hour in: big wet rose.

Throw: everything in the room smells like a big wet rose.

About an hour in, I'm tired of the blast of rose that hits me any time my wrists get near my face, and I figure the other scents have long been drowned out by the fog o'rose, and I give up. Off to wash my wrists.

So, I've discovered in the past two weeks that my body chemistry doesn't play nice with red patchouli or roses - one it turns medicinal, and the other it amplifies the living hell out of. This is good to know.

But in the meantime, Eve and I must part ways. Sorry, Eve. I still say you were framed. But I won't be smelling your rose.

Edited by rellyjean

Got this in a swap with vyvyan. I've been holding off on trying this one because of the rose and ylang ylang, but honey usually works really well on me, so I took the plunge.

At first sniff and when I first applied it, I got the apple blossom that is sweet but not too sweet. A second later, I was hit with the roses. The ylang ylang kept trying to make an appearance, but the roses kept rising to the surface.

I never got any honey at all. :P

Oh well, at least this means I am becoming more consistent and knowing what will work and won't work on me. I knew this probably wouldn't, but tried it anyway.

Even though Eve has honey and rose, two notes that work well on me, I avoided it for a long time because of the apple blossom. I was afraid it would be too apple-y, like The Hesperides was on me. But after my success with Desire, which has apple blossom, I decided to give Eve a whirl. Man, I should have worried about the ylang ylang. It overpowers absolutely everything in this blend on me. I get a tiny whiff of honey in the beginning, never any rose or apple blossom. This is La Petite Mort on steroids.

Eve was never my favorite biblical female, but this was a freebie from the Lab, so I'm always willing to try and give a woman another chance.

In the vial - I'm getting everything other than the honey from this. The rose and appleblossom are mixing VERY well. This should be interesting.

Wet - Appleblossom is really prevalent, but it's nice. And here I didn't think I was a floral girl.

Drying - ...there's something here I don't like. Is it the ylang ylang? (Seeing as I've no idea what it smells like, that's a distinct possibility.) Actually, it might just be the rose. It's making my nose itch and my throat tight. It's a strong, strong rose and it's overpowering the appleblossom.

Dry (1 hours later) - Ugh, this has gone strong rose/baby powder/ LILAC on me. Time to wash it off.

Overall - The rose wasn't the light, feminine kind I got from Ace of Hearts and it just overloaded my nose. Once it turned to baby powder, that was it. Time to swap this.

OMGosh this is another scent I could totally wear daily, at night and every season.

My nose went into this scent and has totally amped my senses up...I do detect the rose and apple but it seems to me a perfect blend....I highly reccommend anybody who hasn't tried this give it a chance...I dont think you will be sorry.

My nose is still having noseasms.... :P

Eve

in vial: rose and apple blossom...smells similar to Delirium

wet: much sweeter now that the honey has appeared

dry: a beautiful blend of rose, apple blossom, and honey...lasts about 5 hours

verdict: another rose scent to add to my big bottle wishlist!

At fist sniff, I really hated Eve.

It smelled like a typical floral out of the bottle, full of big, arrogant flowers crowding for attention. Eventually, though, they all decided to play nice, and this scent rounded out to a sweet and gentle yellow tone.

I liked the honey, though it smelled a bit... too honeyed. I know that makes no sense, but the honey smell was almost a bit too yellow and not golden enough. I think it was accentuated by the flowers.

I do like the drydown. It's a scent that would be nice to wear for a garden party or a wedding. A very "celebration in the spring" scent.

This one is full of notes that I loooooove. However (I'm blaming the apple blossom), they do some kind of weird mutant thing.

It gets stronger and worse on me as it dries. A big mutant rose. Eventually, it mellows into a medium mutant rose. It never quite mutates into something that I can say I like though. :D I had such high hopes for Eve.

cute roommate review- "eiw! *points to my wrist and makes face*" :P

Bought this imp with a set on Ebay. Didn't think much of it when I sniffed the imp other than something vaguely familiar. The girls at work thought it reminded them of something when they were young - really young.

After I applied it to my skin & the smell grew into a heady, cloying rose. It personally brought back memories of mean girls in elementary school. Then I remembered - it's Tinkerbell!! Back in the early eighties Tinkerbell was sold as a kind of "My First Perfume" for girlsm maybe it's still around. We used to pour a little bit of Tinkerbell on our dollies heads - but then we found out it's lasting qualities 20-25 years later. Very strong. Eve is just like this. :P

In the Bottle:

On wet: Honey and flowers and a smell I am not into I have a sneaky suspicion its the Apple Blossom of Brisingaman that sadly just is not my friend :P Leaving me smelling over very over whelming florals

Drydown: The florals have toned down a bit leaving a honeyed scent over the top its nice but sadly not really me.

Overall: If you appreciate a nice floral with a touch of honey then this scent is so for you.

Note: it has toned down a little more over time on me to an even sweeter nice Honey like in Alice but sadly I can't handle the heavy floral to get to it. Darn!

Out of the vial it has an old lady/rosey scent to it. I'm not usually a fan of anything to flowery or rose scented though.

On my skin..the rose scent has faded a bit and it now smells like honeysuckle.

Not a fan of this scent.

Oh I really thought this was the scent that would make a rose convert out of me. I love the idea of roses. I love the smell of real roses. Some times I love the smell of roses on other people. But years of trying different rose scents has made it clear that roses do not like me as much as I like them. I'm heartbroken.

For the first hour or so I was in love. This was so honey-sweet. I could smell rose without it killing me. But after that I started to feel slightly ill, irritated. Oh... it's because of that strong rose odor eminating from me.

I got compliments from other people, but it hardly helped that this changed overtime into a big heavy mess. Poor Eve! That fruit looked so good in the first hour. Then she was expelled from the garden and forced to spend the rest of the day smelling way too rosy.

I'm a fool though. I know there's a rose out there I can wear.

For the first hour this was glorious -- the ultimate feminine perfume. Sweet, rich, rosy, not too simple but not too complicated... but then the rose went a little sour and soapy. Not nearly as bad as some rose blends I've tried, but it just didn't stay true the way that Blood Rose or Queen of Clubs does. About an hour after that, the soap mostly goes away and there's just a lingering floral honey smell. I'll need to experiment with this one.

I want all my lingerie to smell like this.

In the bottle: Mostly rose, a bit of sweet honey.

On skin, Wet: Soapy rose , dry. Tinge of something else, but the rose is so overpowering.

On skin, dry: ROSE! This is just all floral soap. Rose and soap. Soap and rose. There is a theme, yes?

Overall: This scent is not for me. Way too floral. I had hoped for more honey, but my skin loves to amp up florals to ridiculous-ness. In its defense, its a very pretty rose. I think this would be great for the floral lovers. Swap!

I got this in a swap with Shanti.

This smells somewhat like Delirium to me. Like when I open it, it smells like roses that are starting to rot. In Delirium I thought it was the apple, but I am beginning to think that the rose is the real culprit. The rose is doing the same rotting thing to me in Eve, as well.

Wet, this still has the rotting rose smell to me. It smells a bit citrusy, and I don't get any honey or apple blossom. As this dries, the rose rot smell dissipates and this smells powdery and like bathroom cleaner on me. Dry, smells powdery.

Oh well.

Got this off LJ.

In the imp: heady, sweet honey and ylang ylang. Uh-oh.

Wet on skin: Holy crap, the ylang ylang is coming on strong. I don't think I like this. No sign of the apples or roses I was getting so excited about.

Drydown: The rose is peeking through, but barely. I know it's floral, but that's about it. The honey has managed to mellow out the ylang ylang a bit.

1-2 hours later: Almost nothing. Ylang ylang's up in front again.

Man. :P I was really looking forward to this one too. As soon as I have a pile of 'em, off to swaps, I guess. Really disappointed about the lack of apples and roses in this one.

I smell roses dripping with honey, and also a touch of apple. It’s a dry, powdery sort of rose. The apple in this scent is not sweet and juicy – it’s tart, almost sour. Powdery florals and sour fruits are not a good combination for me, so I’ll have to swap this.

Ugh. This oil got a very strong visceral reaction from me, and it made me a bit nauseous. What I got from Eve was really faint watered down slightly rotten apple juice and a faint wimpy incense. I really did not like this. I was reminded of "Sideways" when Paul Giamatti calls the wine "flabby"... Eve to me was flabby.

Unfortunately I put it on before school, and this oil LASTS!!! If you like it you are in luck, 6 hours later it was still going strong.

Eve was on my BPAL wishlist before I even tried any of the oils. It was a very newbie choice for me. The thought of honey and apple perfume made me blissfully happy. Now that I have an imp of it, I'm actually hesitant to try it though. I know what roses and honey do on my skin. I am wiser now. I'll still give it a try.

First on it is lovely, fruity apple blossom. Pretty and almost edible. There's a bit of honey lingering in the background, but not enough to irritate me. The fuzzy sweetness is barely coming through. Then, as soon as it dries, the rose picks up and comes out full force. Within minutes it is all that I can smell. The poor delicate apple blossom never had a chance :P

Drydown this is strong rose powder. I hate it when blends do this on me. Eve will be going back into my swap pile.

This was very pretty on the wand but when it hits my skin, oh dear, I get kind of a dank vegetation smell. Since apple blossom, honey, and rose have never caused me grief before, I have to think this is the unfamiliar ylang ylang. After what feels like far too long, it does mellow into a rosey sweetness but with so many scents that work better on me, I won't keep this.

Eve (Excolo line)

in the bottle: colour of the oil is a clear goldenrod. There is a whole mix of delicious scents going on here, but I have to admit that I get the faintest whiff of something medicinal... almost like turpentine. But that makes it sound like it smells bad, when in fact this is one of the nicest scents I've tried out yet. I've given this one lots of thought and have worn it around 7 times now, so that has definitely colored my "in-the-bottle" impression; I think I was not so fond of it the first time I smelled it before putting it on my skin, but at this point I know what is coming.

wet: this is a perfect outdoors floral, reminds me of a garden of roses I saw in Florence a few years ago. There is something distinctly Italian about this, a post-Roman Mediterranian tang that reminds me of high muggy skies, white walls, and bottled water in cafes. Malta smells a little like this too, in the higher-end residential areas where the flowers are blooming in May. This scent is a closed-away garden next to the bluest, calmest sea you have ever seen.

drydown: roses and honeys together seem to love me especially well. This lasts and lasts and becomes more and more beautiful as it lingers. This is the brown-skinned innocence of early humanity in it's most beautiful, perfect form. Tigris and Euprates, the north coast of Africa... there is something essential and timeless about this scent. Perfectly evocative of the ideal of Eve.

verdict: LOVE this. Perfect for me. Have ordered a 5ml and will probably always have some of this on hand for the rest of my life.

Roses, or more accurately, tea rose on me. Lovely but that's all I got. Nothing else, no honey *cry*. And sneezing :P

Was hoping the rose wouldn't be amped up to *just* rose as happens the majority of the time. Oh well.

lovely and delicate in the bottle, this one morphed on my skin. i had a brief niceness with it, but mostly it went through all the shades of "bad".

fresh and soapy > a blossoming of what i thought it would smell like (at this phase i thought "hrm...maybe 5 ml?") sweet, yet rich, slightly fruity... > old lady perfume > fruity powder.... and then i went to sleep.

this morning, i get urine. *sighs*

i'll give it a second try at some point, but i have a bad feeling about this.

i wonder if it was the honey. i think this is my first honey scent....

n.

Bottle: This is a light, sweetish floral. Somehow I'd expected it to be fruitier than this, but maybe I just had apples on the brain.

Wet: Sweet, but warm, not as light and fragile as some. There's rose in it, all right, but it's tempered with everything else, so it doesn't go all powdery or sour. It does, however, remind me of those little expensive rose soaps you find in pricey hotels. Hn. I'm not, however, getting too much else /besides/ rose, except maybe a little carnationish thing, or something. It's just...rose.

Dry: Hm. The worst of the soapiness goes away, but there's enough there I can still call it that. I think I'll probably swap this, since it doesn't bypass Moon Rose for my favorite rose scent.