Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Brisingamen

The amber necklace of Freyja, Norse Goddess of Love, Sex, Attraction and Fruitfulness. Her magnificent necklace was bought from four Dwarves [Alfrik, Berling, Dvalin and Grer] at the price of four nights of her passion. When Brisingamen graces your throat, no man can resist your charms. A glittering mantle of rich golden notes: five ambers, soft myrtle and apple blossom, myrtle, and carnation.

A sort of nice vague sweet amber. At least I think so? Doesn't really smell like anything, per se, but it feels very off and very un-me. Like I'm not supposed to be wearing it. Ended up washing it off after twenty minutes, just because I knew I'd never warm to it.

Fortunately, the amber did not go powdery on me at all, so that means it's honey what hates me. ... Unfortunately, I wish it was the amber. I like honey ):

My body loves amber and I love carnation so I Knew I wanted to try this. I an not disappointed either! They longer I have it on, the better the amber becomes. It is soft and creamy (and dreamy too) and I couldn't have asked for a better scent if I would have asked Beth to make me a signature blend. My husband brought me carnations for our first date :P and they have been my favorite ever since. When I smell Brisingamen I smell pink carnations! I love-love-love it!

As soon as I put it on, it was very, very golden amber. I love amber, but my skin tends to amp it so it can drown out other notes in blends if they're at all shy. At first, I was a bit worried this was going to happen with Brisingamen.

However, as it dried, I got a bit of spicy floralness from the myrtle and mums. I don't really get any apple blossom, but I'm not too bothered by it.

It stayed nice and didn't change too much after the inital amber-fade, had decent throw and lasting power, and I quite like it but don't love it.

I'm keeping the imp, but a bottle is probably not in my future.

Amber and myrtle with a touch of flirty apple blossom is what I get. Very charming! Brisingamen stayed true for about an hour and a half. Then something happened with the ambers and it went a little harsh. There's a bite from something - the carnation? - that doesn't sit well on me.

Brisingamen stayed harsh too. The throw is long-lasting though. I can still smell it eight hours after application. Despite its long life, I'm not really fond of Brisingamen, but I know someone else will be. C'est la vie.

Edited by n1k1ta

This one has remained very consistent on me, wet and through the last hour.

It's certainly very amber-y. It's warm, rich, powdery, glowing amber, sweetened and lightened by the florals. They blend very well, and the character is definitely resinous rather than floral. This is really beautiful. It's pretty light and stays close to the skin, but my skin tends to eat amber, so perhaps it's just me. I didn't expect it to last long, but in the last hour it isn't gotten lighter at all, so that bodes well.

It's not one I'm moved to buy 5ml of, but if you favor amber, don't miss it!

I got this imp from my SW.

In the bottle it was sharp- almost peppery. I'm not sure what caused that.

On my skin, it was a delicate, soft amber. I couldn't smell any of the other notes. The amber was coy and flirtatious, appearing and disappearing throughout the day. I could never smell it on my skin, but just around me. It's a very interesting perfume.

Love this. Love, love, love. I'm so pleased I got a frimp of this- I'd never have ordered it on my own. The five ambers would have scared me right off. But this is so, so nice on me. It melds right into my skin. I can't wear most "skin" scents, as things like musk are usually horrible on me, but this smells so good- the ambers are soft and tempered by the carnation. So, what I end up with is a warm, skin-like carnation scent. It's just beautiful, and oh so sexy. This is definitely big-bottle territory.

This starts off as an extremely light floral, so light in fact that I had to have my nose to my wrist to smell it. The first thing to kick in is a slight carnation spice, but it takes a good 20mins for the amber to warm to my skin. The next stage is lovely, pure warm amber floral but as it wears it develops a bit of a metallic edge.

If it stayed true to the middle stage I'd definitely get a 5ml but for now I'm content with my imp :P

This was very light and stayed light. At some the spicy carnation did start to pick up, but it stayed too soft. The amber came into play after a while, but mostly by just going powdery on me. This wasn't a bad blend, it just didn't do much for me.

In the imp and wet on my skin, Brisingamen smelled absolutely gorgeous. Something about it reminded me of Euterpe -- I thought I smelled white musk but it's not listed. Unfortunately, it started to burn so I had to wash it off. But I'd definitely recommend this to anyone (without sensitive skin) looking for a pretty, feminine blend.

Caveat: I'm not sure if I know what BPAL's amber smells like, even though it's in a few of my favorite blends and a few of my least-favorite. So I'm not picking up anything that I could identify as amber, even though it's mentioned in every review.

To me, Brisingamen is a very sweet floral, slightly powdery, and reminds me of a shade of dark pink.

I'm not getting any carnation, which I love, and other than carnation I'm really not much of a floral person. This smells a lot like floral potpourri. I guess that's the Lab's apple blossom or myrtle note. I wanted to try this because I was curious about myrtle (which I haven't smelled before) and I love carnation, but it's not right for me at all.

Edited by ClareN

In the imp it smelled kind of green, no amber. But on...yum. Amber and spicy carnation is all I smell as it develops on me, but not in a floral way. Reminds me of Bastet, but not as incensy.

Brisingamen smells just like a perfume my mother used to wear. And... that killed it for me. Staid, traditional, department-store spicy amber. On the other hand, a powerful, fur-wearing older woman could probably pull it off and be completely, terrifyingly commanding.

This is all glowing, golden amber on me, very soft and very dreamy. It has a touch of spiciness which must be the carnation. I love carnation and though amber isn't one of my top notes, I'm enjoying this blend since it's just so pretty. The amber is not overpowering but is so perfectly in tune with the other notes. The apple blossom is starting to quietly emerge and peek her head out and the scent is becoming really truly beautiful.

I love amber. Haunted was my first favorite BPAL. I got this out of curiosity, and it's really grown on me. Wet it's a little heavy and spicy, but dry it's light and sweet. Amber is the most prominent note on me but I can get something floral in the back. It's light floral, not heavy girly floral, which works out well for me.

There's a type of rose my ex-boyfriend once got me for Valentine's day--they were a dusty pink color with yellow accents. This scent reminds me of them, in a good way.

In the imp, the myrtle was pretty over whelming. I caught a slight whiff of spicy carnations underneath though.

On, it turns a bit unappealing for me. Almost alcohol-y, but not quite. Not entirely what the note is that I'm picking up. I really don't think that the ambers work on me very well. :P

After a while I get alcohol and carnations. I don't know what it is about me getting alcohol in scents. I guess it's just my unrefined nose :D Oh well, it is getting better I hope! Overall, not really a scent for me. Guess it's to the swaps for this one.

(Typed this up a few days ago and forgot to post it. *smacks forehead*)

In the bottle: This is a very rich, warm scent. All I can smell is amber. A little heavy, so I'm kinda worried.

Wet: The amber is still very predominant, but there's a hint of florals, kinda spicy, but then again amber tends to start off spicy on me. Then there's this weird green I get, like eucalyptus--it lends it a very tangy smell that I'm not sure I like.

Dry: Wow, this seems to have set a new record for going soapy on me. My skin just doesn't like amber. Within twenty minutes it's just a sudsy whiff that's almost completely faded away. I do have to say that the florals certainly have come out to play near the end, but overall this had little staying power on me; not that I was hoping for it, what with all the soap.

Dratted skin. I wanted to like this one. Then again, the warm scents aren't really for me, so perhaps it was fate.

imp: carnation and amber. very strong.

wet: yikes, the myrtle jumps out and leaves everything else in the dust!

dry: the myrtle is still going strong. hmmm... myrtley.

it's not a bad scent just not one i'd go crazy for. myrtlicious.

In the imp:

Strong wood note, which is usually not a good sign since many woods do not play nice with my skin.

Wet:

Very woody, but I think I am also getting some amber right off the bat, so maybe this will work on me after all.

Dry:

Yummy ambers! I'm glad this is actually working on me.

This is SO swoon-worthy! At first it smells like apple blossoms and ginger. As it dries it turns into a glowing, radiant amber-licious white-hot ginger scent with a background of light florals. I know that there's not supposed to be ginger in it - but that is what I get from it on my skin! If it is just the carnation performing this function alone - this is the spiciest, most magnificent carnation I have ever encountered! :P This scent is absolutely magnetic, and I can see why it is a love potion! This is destined to become a true all-time favorite of mine. And to think, I didn't even believe it would work for me based on the listed notes in the description. Just goes to show that Beth works in mysterious ways!

:D

Oh, it also has awesome throw and lasts quite a while. The only caveat is a familiar one to amber blends - the amber does get a touch powdery on the drydown, but the five-star carnation in this recipe prevents it from being anywhere near conventional. Genius! 5/5

This smells like baby powder on me. Amber does this with my chemistry, so I'm not even sure what amber is supposed to smell like.

I can smell a hint of spicy carnation in there, and it balances out the sweetness of the powder just a bit.

It's attractive and very smooth. Smells the way drizzling caramel looks (in smoothness and color, not smelling like caramel at all though).

I can see why this is a love potion. It is a bit too "clean" on me though, and not sultry enough, simply because of amber misbehaving. What a little brat. I am amber's aunt-with-no-backbone, and when I babysit, the lil' stinker tears my house apart and I can't control him.

3.3 out of 5

In The Imp: Sexy amber with a little crispness to it, like there's something green.. apple?

Wet: Subtle, beautiful, soft, cozy, sexy. Feels like a warm cashmere blanket on my skin. I'm in love.

Dry: Amber is a great note on me, this just gets softer and creamier as it goes. My only complaint is that it fades a tad too quick.

Overall: Definitely in my top ten. 4 out of 5. LOVE IT.

Initial Impression: apple

On Wet: apple, amber, myrtle, carnation

On Dry: amber and carnation

Final Impression: very light throw but pretty

Rating (on a scale from 1-5): 3.5

Imp: spicy amber, light pale-pink floral

Skin: initially it's warm and nutty, a spicy-golden amber, and the pretty floral floats over it. Then it becomes vaguely soapy, and finally it develops an undertone of "rotting" flowers... unfortunately :P

ETA: a few hours after the rotting flowers smell fades, and all that is left is powdery golden amber

Edited by Browneyes